Are you a Tosser?

wildone

Are you a Tosser?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you recycle pop/beer/wine bottles/cans?

• Yes
    • No

• Site Administrator

No, get your minds out of the gutter :P .

Lately their has been a lot of advertising in my home province about recycling. I believe when it comes to water/pop/beer/wine bottles and cans, we recycle about 60% of them, meaning 40% are going into the landfill.

Here we have a mandatory charge on on recyclable bottles/cans depending on their size when you originally purchase them. The charges run from ten cents per bottle/can up to a quarter. You then receive this money back when you take them to a bottle recycler.

From my trips to the States I was shocked, especially at the bars, on how all the bottles and cans are just haphazardly tossed into a garbage can and broken up and then tossed in the dumpster.

Bars and restaurants up here recycle all of their beverage containers probably do the economics of the recycling charges.

So the question is, at home, are you a tosser?

We recyle at home, most places do> I'm not sure how it is at bars or at restaurants behind the scenes, most I see just have glass bottles, Some that do get mixed in get sorted at a trash/recycling center.

Edited by Drewbie

There is a 10 cent deposit on most everything sold here, but I was in a couple other states that don't have a deposit watching them throw the empties away. Really screws up the landscape.

So, I'm a keeper and returner, need all the funds I can get.

Only one state in Australia still has a bottle deposit scheme going, but all homes have recycling bins for bottles/paper/plastics so there is no excuse not to recycle.

A lot of public bins around the place now have a specific recycling side so even out and about you can recycle to.

It would be much better though if companies made more environmentally friendly packaging and didn't feel the need to put everything in an individual plastic wrap on a plastic tray wrapped again in one big plastic bag, all of-course non-recyclable :angry:

I worked (very temporarily) for a nightclub in downtown Montreal and we all throw away glass bottles and cans in the trash as if there were no care in the world. Actually, seeing recycling bins for restos and bars are quite unheard of here in Montreal. Every Montreal home has a green recycling bin and the city comes up once or twice per week to collect for free. I always recycle paper, cardboard, plastic, glass, and cans. They look like this...

64f4b554471d80c0b1737ccac9c1.jpeg

We do have "Consign

Edited by Jack Frost

• Site Administrator
Only one state in Australia still has a bottle deposit scheme going, but all homes have recycling bins for bottles/paper/plastics so there is no excuse not to recycle.

Not quite true. This is basically correct for all the major cities, but it's not economically viable in many rural areas to run a recycling collection service, so they don't have separate bins. This is most noticeable in places like the snow fields where they get a lot of tourists from the major cities expecting to see recycling bins, and they're not there....

Here, in Switzerland, about 80 % of the bottles and other glass materials are recycled. The nest bin is 2 minutes away from home and old paper is collected twice a week. Now that smoking is forbidden in all public places, everyboby who is smoking on the streets has to take care of his cigarette-ends. If you throw them on the ground, you can get a penalty ! Geneva is a clean town :P .

My city actually charges you a monthly charge to set out your green, recycle bin. How dumb is that? :blink: As a result of that you only see those bins curbside in the more affluent neighborhoods. I guess they figure us poor folk eat our paper and plastic. :P

I do, but sometimes I wonder why I bother. We had a local news report here recently which showed some of these recycling trucks taking stuff to the local incinerator. Why then should I even make the effort?

I used to recycle religiously....became a bit disillusioned though. Like DragonFire I heard about a lot of instances in which things weren't actually recycled. I also read several articles about how if you put the wrong thing in there it messes everything up. Combine that with the fact that recycling became progressively less and less convenient (fewer and fewer recycling bins/locations etc.) and I pretty much gave up.

If I walk by a recycling bin and I have something, and I know it's an acceptable item to drop in, then I do, but apart from that I've pretty much given up on it.

I think convenience really is the main factor. If they simply had a lot more bins and encouraged people to drop even the more questionable items in for later sorting, then I for one would definitely do it.

My primary "excuse" for not being more green is that I'm a vegetarian and that supposedly greatly reduces my carbon footprint, so I like to think it works out in the end. ...probably doesn't, but I like to think it does.

-Kevin

My primary "excuse" for not being more green is that I'm a vegetarian and that supposedly greatly reduces my carbon footprint, so I like to think it works out in the end. ...probably doesn't, but I like to think it does.

:o You mean you don't eat ANY meat at all?!? ;):P

To be fair I do recycle glass bottles and plastic containers, but that's about it. I just do not have the time or inclination to wonder if a certain box of or paper is acceptable to recycle! They have so many do & don

We live in a condominium complex with one garbage dumpster and one recycling dumpster--and according to the rules, one cannot place food rubbish in the recyclable container. They are both full at least twice a week with appropriate materials. :D Rob & I, however, recycle cans and bottles (due to CA Refund deposits) by giving them to a friend of ours to stockpile and redeem later, she routinely takes in enough to make $60 or so every month.

For a normal household here in Signal Hill or Long Beach, CA, this would offset the fees for both the recycle bin for Single-family homes, as well as the fee for the large rubbish can for the automated trucks.