[Linxe Termoil] Spider Webs

I really enjoyed getting caught up with Micah and the whole story again :great:. Thanks for not forgetting about him ;)

I liked the way that we are beginning to see why Patrick is the way that he is and that Micah is willing to allow himself to get to know him better. If Patrick is staying and not going to Wales because of Micah, I hope Micah can become the friend that Patrick wants. Reading between the lines, is Patrick always so unhappy in the photos with Reese because he knows Reese is straight and can't return his affections? Just a thought that came to mind.

Anyways, Thanks again for the chapter. A little birdie told me that some other chapters are soon to come 0:) Let's hope it's true, I'd hate to have to shoot the birdie :P

We'll see how things turn out between Patrick and Micah. As for why Patrick became unhappy around Reese, that too we shall find out ;)

And yes, you are correct. Chapter 11 will be out Saturday morning at 11 and chapter 12 will be out the saturday after that at 11 in the morning. I'm currently writing chapter 15 so plan on seeing updates once a week. I finally feel like I have enough chapters in the works to start posting again. I'm going to try and finish up the story while I have time.

Linxe

I pulled this from one of my reviews and decided to address it here.

Lisa public/style_images/ga3/user_popup.png Today, 10:28 PM (Chapter 10 Review) I just started reading this amazing story the other day when I saw it on another site. Then I noticed you had more chapters on here, so I came here instead.

This is such a fantastic story! Micah (awesome name btw) has so much anger towards his mom for leaving him and his father for abandoning him also. He just abandoned him mentally and turned to physically abusing him b/c he couldn't cope with his loss.

I really wasn't going to review until I caught up with all the chapters, but I had to comment for this particular chapter. I think this chapter was the best so far. The whole debacle with Ken taking Micah to AA b/c he thought he had a problem with booze and Micah's anger over it was defnitely understandable.

I really liked Patrick's grandmother and I liked the fact that Patrick and Micah seemed to be getting closer. I had the feeling that Patrick lied to the judge b/c he was afraid Micah would be sent somewhere else and he'd never see him again. Now that I read about what his grandmother said to Micah about staying there and going to school there b/c of Micah, I think I'm right. lol

But the main reason I'm commenting is b/c of the Selective Mutism. You know, I never even thought of that for Joel. I was thinking that he wasn't speaking b/c losing his mom was so traumatic that he just stopped. I never thought of SM b/c I thought even with SM the person is at least talking to SOMEONE. My youngest was diagnosed with SM when he was three. Luckily with meds and therapy, now he doesn't stop talking! Although he does still have a bit of social anxiety. I just thought it was so interesing that they diagnosed Joel with SM. I would think it would be more like the Traumatic SM (although I hadn't heard of that before. Or was it hysterical SM, I don't remember now.) I really hope Dr. Timmy (haha) can help Joel get his speech back.

Oh, I did notice one little error: about three-quarters of the way down the chapter, Micah was thinking of something and you wrote prolly. Did you mean probably? I don't think prolly is a word. Actually I just looked it up; it's not a word. lol

Anyway, awesome, awesome story! :)

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for commenting on the story. I'm glad you liked that chapter (Chapter 10) the best. I think it was one of my favorite chapters so far to write.

You're right regarding Selective Mutism. It is a psychological problem (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'll admit my research into the foray of SM was quickly done, at best, though I probably spent a good day looking into the subject of mutism in general) that is compounded by anxiety problems, and in general children with SM do, at least, talk to someone, with the general problem of not being able to stop talking when they are in a comfortable situation.

While I brought up the subject of Selective Mutism and Hysterical Mutism, I will have to once more admit that my knowledge on the subject is very vague. I couldn't quite seem to find anything that fit Joel's situation, because I really

wanted him to talk again

So I had to pick and choose, and try to find a situation that fit, and they both somewhat worked. As vast as the internet is, the resources that I was able to find on mutism dealt mostly with SM.

I read one case file on Hysterical Mutism, which I found to be an interesting read.

From what I have also found, there are for subcategories for Elective Mutism, the former name for Selective mutism, identified by Torey Hayden in 1980.

• Symbiotic mutism: the most common form, caused by a vocal and dominating mother and absent father (very rarely the other way around) and characterized by the use of mutism as controlling behavior around other adults.
  • Speech phobic mutism: the least common, in which the child showed distinct fear at hearing a recording of his or her voice. This also involved ritualistic behaviors, which may reflect OCD, and was thought to be caused by the child having been told to keep a family secret.
  • Reactive mutism: a reaction to trauma and/or abuse, with all children showing symptoms of depression and being notably withdrawn, usually showing no facial expressions. Notably, Hayden admits that some children put in this category had no apparent incident to react to, but they were included because of their symptoms.
  • Passive-aggressive mutism: silence is used as a display of hostility, connected to antisocial behavior. Some of the children in her study had reportedly not been mute until age 9-12.
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), first published in 1952, first included Elective Mutism in its third edition, published in 1980. Elective mutism was described as "a continuous refusal to speak in almost all social situations" despite normal ability to speak. While "excessive shyness" and other anxiety-related traits were listed as associated features, predisposing factors included "maternal overprotection", mental retardation, and trauma. Elective mutism in the third edition revised (DSM III-R) is described similarly as in the third edition except for specifying that the disorder is not related to social anxiety disorder.

In 1994, the fourth edition of the DSM reflected the name change to selective mutism and redefined the disorder.

That information I found on Wikipedia.

So all that being said, I too hope that Timmy can help make Joel talk again ;)

I am also very glad to hear that your youngest son is speaking and coping with his disorder. From what I have read, as he grows older the SM should fade, though I am unsure on that point. You probably know more about it then I do, though sometimes I wonder if I had SM when I was younger, as I usually avoided most situations I had to speak in while growing up unless I was at home. I wouldn't even speak to my grandmother when she came over, and I know it really ticked her off.

Anyways, enough about me. I have corrected the prolly error that you were kind enough to point out. I hope you enjoy the rest of the story.

Many thanks,

Linxe E. Termoil

Edited by Linxe Termoil

Hey Linxe,

Thanks for responding to my review! :)

I think you'e right about SM getting better as the chld gets older. Or maybe that's just the meds....lol. But actually Matthew has been on and off Prozac for a few years now. He was diagnosed (by a first grade teacher no less) when he was three and now he's thirteen. Even though he will speak to people (and he's quite the smart-ass in school), he still has social anxiety. He has only eaten lunch once in the seven years he's been going to school when lunch is offered. That day was yesterday and he did it only b/c I told him if he wanted this fancy schmancy Ipod he told me about, he had to eat lunch in school. lol But his social anxiety takes over when it comes to inviting friends over or going over friend's houses. He has friends in school and camp, but outside of that, he's a loner.

But I can definitely see where something as traumatic as losing a parent could "lock up" (for lack of a better phrase) a child's speech. I certainly hope with therapy and maybe meds (Prozac works wonders in this area and is I think, the only meds that you can be weaned off of slowly.), will help Joel regain his speech.

Your story is amazing and I'm almost at the last chapter. :( I hope you update fairly quickly,.....as I'm going to be going thru withdrawal! :) And kudos to you for doing so much research on all these types of mutism (I think in my day they just called it extremely shy; which is what I was growing up).

Ok, gotta get back to reading! :)

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for commenting on the story. I'm glad you liked that chapter (Chapter 10) the best. I think it was one of my favorite chapters so far to write.

You're right regarding Selective Mutism. It is a psychological problem (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'll admit my research into the foray of SM was quickly done, at best, though I probably spent a good day looking into the subject of mutism in general) that is compounded by anxiety problems, and in general children with SM do, at least, talk to someone, with the general problem of not being able to stop talking when they are in a comfortable situation.

While I brought up the subject of Selective Mutism and Hysterical Mutism, I will have to once more admit that my knowledge on the subject is very vague. I couldn't quite seem to find anything that fit Joel's situation, because I really

wanted him to talk again

So I had to pick and choose, and try to find a situation that fit, and they both somewhat worked. As vast as the internet is, the resources that I was able to find on mutism dealt mostly with SM.

I read one case file on Hysterical Mutism, which I found to be an interesting read.

From what I have also found, there are for subcategories for Elective Mutism, the former name for Selective mutism, identified by Torey Hayden in 1980.

• Symbiotic mutism: the most common form, caused by a vocal and dominating mother and absent father (very rarely the other way around) and characterized by the use of mutism as controlling behavior around other adults.
  • Speech phobic mutism: the least common, in which the child showed distinct fear at hearing a recording of his or her voice. This also involved ritualistic behaviors, which may reflect OCD, and was thought to be caused by the child having been told to keep a family secret.
  • Reactive mutism: a reaction to trauma and/or abuse, with all children showing symptoms of depression and being notably withdrawn, usually showing no facial expressions. Notably, Hayden admits that some children put in this category had no apparent incident to react to, but they were included because of their symptoms.
  • Passive-aggressive mutism: silence is used as a display of hostility, connected to antisocial behavior. Some of the children in her study had reportedly not been mute until age 9-12.
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), first published in 1952, first included Elective Mutism in its third edition, published in 1980. Elective mutism was described as "a continuous refusal to speak in almost all social situations" despite normal ability to speak. While "excessive shyness" and other anxiety-related traits were listed as associated features, predisposing factors included "maternal overprotection", mental retardation, and trauma. Elective mutism in the third edition revised (DSM III-R) is described similarly as in the third edition except for specifying that the disorder is not related to social anxiety disorder.

In 1994, the fourth edition of the DSM reflected the name change to selective mutism and redefined the disorder.

That information I found on Wikipedia.

So all that being said, I too hope that Timmy can help make Joel talk again ;)

I am also very glad to hear that your youngest son is speaking and coping with his disorder. From what I have read, as he grows older the SM should fade, though I am unsure on that point. You probably know more about it then I do, though sometimes I wonder if I had SM when I was younger, as I usually avoided most situations I had to speak in while growing up unless I was at home. I wouldn't even speak to my grandmother when she came over, and I know it really ticked her off.

Anyways, enough about me. I have corrected the prolly error that you were kind enough to point out. I hope you enjoy the rest of the story.

Many thanks,

Linxe E. Termoil

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Really enjoyed 13 and 14 Linxe. Thank you very much for sharing with us :great:

i have to admit that when I was reading 14 I had a feeling that you were wrapping up the story and that it was coming to an end. Thank you for the end of chapter note at the end ;)

I'm glad that Joel is speaking again. I guess it took a traumatic event to bring him out of a what another traumatic event put him in. Knowing that he is starting to speak is great news on his front. I'm sure as he begins to speak to Micah more, maybe Micah will begin to forget some of the the unjustified but understandable guilt he is feeling.

Interesting that you added to some development to Ben now. Knowing that he has been a guest at Ken and Elizabeth's in the past is an interesting side note. I guess it goes to reaffirm that the two parents are willing to take in everyone that needs a hand. Also makes the whole clan of Patrick's fit together as well.

Now what are you doing with Patrick and Micah. You are evil having them both strip down and climb into bed and Micah passing out right away due to the sleeping pill :devil: All the tension between them two needs to be released soon. I mean how many near kisses are those two going to have :P ?

One other question, the goat chasing the frog on the birthday cake. Any chance of that being a cameo of any two people we may know? Probably not but I got a good chuckle out of it.

Looking forward to next weekend already Linxe. Thank you again :hug:

• Like 1

Wow is all I can say. This story is really taking off and you are doing such a great job. I hope that at some point you do resolve the issue with the principal. That guy is a jerk and Ken should know that what he did having Patricks car towed was illegal and fraudulant. I am surprised you did not through that bit in there. I nearly cried when Joel started speaking. I'll say it again, Great, Great, Great story. Please dont take such a long vacation from it again.

• Like 1

Just reread the latest chapter and I'd like to say that Joel is one of my favorite characters ever. His genuineness is really endearing.

Thanks, I'm considering a spider-webs spinoff featuring Joel...But, I don't want him to be gay...everyone else is gay...it'd be weird...and I don't write bisexual very well. Are straight stories allowed here? O_o

Hrm... come to think of it, I'm not sure I could write straight either...

Le Sigh. I'll figure something out.

:P

Linxe

Thanks, I'm considering a spider-webs spinoff featuring Joel...But, I don't want him to be gay...everyone else is gay...it'd be weird...and I don't write bisexual very well. Are straight stories allowed here? O_o

Hrm... come to think of it, I'm not sure I could write straight either...

Le Sigh. I'll figure something out.

:P

Linxe

You totally crack me up! :lmao:

One thing though, shouldn't that be La Sigh? :P

• Like 1

Nope, it's Le Sigh. No idea why, it just is. (seems more masculine that way?)

Confession time. I am stuck. Again. I have several ideas in my head, but, I need more. That's where you all come in. What kind of scenes do you guys fantasize about when it comes to the characters? (Not just sex. I have several enough of those on my own as it is). I want to make everyone grow, I want to finish this (That said, I did order a book to help me out on one part that will be played out) but I don't want to leave you all hanging after chapter 15 either, which I do need to edit and get to Sharon. I'm just...stuck...

So, yeah, help a fellow out here. What do you all think about, what scenes do you see playing out?

Let me know,

Linxe

Chapter 15 of Spider Webs is up. Please leave me with something to respond too.

Thanks,

Linxe

16 will not be up next week. I still need to write it. Sorry, got sick a few days ago and then I have finals this week, too. Things got hectic, but I have all week off next week, so I'll be able to catch up.

:)

Edited by Linxe Termoil
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Really enjoyed the chapter Linxe Posted Image Thank you for sharing with us.

I kind of saw this as a turning chapter for Micah. Things finally fell into place in his mind about becoming a kid again. From protecting his brothers and friends, to asking for permission and being polite to the very hilarious conversation with Ken about when to have sex and does he still have sex, all showed that Micah is becoming a teenager again.

Also the line about teenagers these days from Micah about Reese had me in stitches.

Glad that you tried to clear the air, or maybe muddy the waters at the same time, about Reese and Ben. I guess you gave the reasons for Ben being Ben and Reese being Reese, but still don't understand why the sleep together so much.

The only feedback I have in this chapter, and I hate to put it out until I know the end of the story, is the age factor in Patrick's decision to wait and think attitude with Micah as far as getting laid. For some reason I found it awkward that a 16/17 y/o who is obviously attracted to Micah would have the maturity or inner strength to push away Micah. I do realize that Patrick is mature for his age due to his upbringing but don't most teenagers do the deed and then feel the guilt and think about it after? I may be totally wrong about this though.

You asked for suggestions on what scenes we would like to see continuing forward. So I will give mine :P :

The house. It has just symbolism to me in what Micah's life was/is to become. I see Micah's life as a being discarded by his father, then being slowly redone by River (I think that was his name) and now whole community that he finds himself in. I see Joel as the main room slowly becoming more and more full and complete with each little improvement in Micah's life.

Patrick family. I am really interested in the dynamics of the family. Seldom do I hear about Welsh in stories. Unfortunately I do think about them as being part of the UK and don't understand the dynamics and the culture and traditions of what you are portraying as vastly different than what I thought of them. So an opportunity to make this a little educational as well ;)

Obviously I need some resolution between Micah and his Dad. The fact that even though he has been an ass the past 9 years I can't help to feel that something has changed in his life to make him realize what he has lost. To purchase the truck and drive it up, apparently sober, and do what his late wife's will wanted makes me actually feel some empathy for him. I don't think the right thing to do would be for Joel and Micah to leave Ken and Elizabeth's, but maybe a resolution between the father and son. I'm not sure about Joel's opinion of his father is as well. I would hazard a guess that Joel was too young to know what was going on and just accepted his fate as 'normal'.

If any more come to mind Linxe, I will share with you. I don't want you to feel like I'm telling you how to write your story as it is your story, not mine. I do want to let you know what I would like to know by the conclusion of the story.

Hopefully that helps you out :D

Steve

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I see this thread has been inactive for a while. I was just wondering if Linxe has been able to get past that writers block but more importantly if he's okay? I also wanted to take the time to say that I recently found this story and find it to be on my list of favorites. Hope everything is well.

• 6 months later...

So I just discovered forums! lol And I saw your name and clicked on it to see if there was any news on the next chapter of one of my favorite stories OF ALL TIME, "Spider Webs", by alas, no......

Hope everything is ok and you're just experiencing that awful writer's block.

I have to admit, I do look for your story every day in the "latest story updates" page. I hope one day I'll see it again.....

That was a hint, hint, btw....:)