Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

The Good of Religion

Tiger

So I feel that I spend a little too much time going after religion, so I'm going to do the opposite. I hope that everyone will participate. No sarcasm please.

1. There are a lot of religious organizations that have fed the hungry and taken care of the sick. Mother Theresa was loved by millions for a reason.

2. For some, accepting death is difficult. Adopting a religion, and the idea of an afterlife, can make accepting death much easier for a lot of people.

3. There is a lot of good art because of religion. Think of David. Now that is a masterpiece.

• Site Administrator

I was surprised when I saw how a certain religion looked at how the loss of child, in this case due to accident, and through the strength of their beliefs in how that child was helping in the afterlife made their death possibly easier to bear.

Whew, what a long sentencetongue.gif

I know this religion prepares everyone to deal with different difficult situations they may encounter. The pessimist side of me says that it is only to minimize normal human emotion so they can get back to serving the church quicker, but I really think they do help in the long run.

I can only talk about Christianity, not because I think it's the only religion with "good" in it, but because it's the only one with which I'm familiar enough to reply.

This is a broad question, so I'm going to focus on how it can affect society rather than the individual. The Bible can be used for good or for ill. When relied upon in the best ways, it teaches how to treat each other better.

1. The parable of the Good Samaritan teaches us to look beyond races, nationalities and other prejudices we might have towards other people and help when we are needed.

2. Jesus befriended the harlot Mary Magdalene to the chagrin of some of the disciples, which is another example of how we should spend a lot less time judging each other and more time caring about each other.

3. Jesus showed by example that we can be forgiven, but we must also be able to forgive others.

4. The Bible lays the foundation for good morals that speak to how we treat other people, such as not lying, not stealing, etc. The problem with that is that people sometimes focus too much on that aspect and not only take certain passages too literally, but forget to couple it with Jesus' example of not judging and forgiving.

5. The Bible says we were made after God's own image, which implies not only that we have worth as individuals, but that all humans have worth and need to be treated that way. This was the basis of the Quakers' abolitionist views.

Edited by jenni

• Site Administrator

Well...I have little good to say about modern religious establishments, other than I treat them similar to the ancient religions that are considered myths...that being said, I have met religious people who I have loved, and who have made a huge impact on my life. I would say that religion is the defining factor in their lives and they would say the same, yet we were able to become great friends anyways. I would always be eternally grateful to the family that "adopted" me when I chose to try Christianity when I was a pre-teen on my own. Without them I would never have given it a chance or met such wonderful people, even if I could not continue with that branch of the faith.

Well...I have little good to say about modern religious establishments, other than I treat them similar to the ancient religions that are considered myths...that being said, I have met religious people who I have loved, and who have made a huge impact on my life. I would say that religion is the defining factor in their lives and they would say the same, yet we were able to become great friends anyways. I would always be eternally grateful to the family that "adopted" me when I chose to try Christianity when I was a pre-teen on my own. Without them I would never have given it a chance or met such wonderful people, even if I could not continue with that branch of the faith.

WOW! That was beautifully put Cia! I wish more people could learn to accept one another. People are alll different and have different ideas so just let them be.

In my personal experience I believe myself to be a gay Christian. I have found many times that it may cause problems for me with both sides.

Hearing people accepting Christianity even if they do not believe it makes it better for me to accept myself!

Thanks Cia! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

You all have said some really great stuff here, so much so that I find myself at a bit of a loss for something to say myself, but of course I will give it a shot.

My experiance with *Local* Christianity was mixed so I'll stay away from it here as i don't want to inadvertantly taint the topic with my negativity.

I call myself a Wiccan but in reality I'm more of a Spiritualist, I love to study and learn about other Faiths. Most religions at their core teach three things.

Reverance to God

Personal Enlightenment

Acceptance for Others

In my opinion two out of three of these are vital to human existance (if you don't belive in a God/Goddess thats your right). There are too many people walking around out there that are lost and unfulfilled and just full of anger and hate. Religion isn't the only way to solve these problems but I know for me a it was a big step.

Learning about Reincarnation helped me to understand and accept other religions and their point of view, after all i may be among them one day.

Having always been a tree huger finding a religion that places Reverance on nature was not only a very validating thing for me, but also helped me to learn that being myself is alright, that the only person I have to change for is me, which made me want to be better.

You can't make a difference in this world unless you have some semblance of peace with yourself. Like I said Religion (and certainly Wicca) aren't the only way to find that peace but it can help.

Maybe I've rambled a bit or got off topic, if so I appologize.

BEst WIshes.

NightOwl

• Site Administrator

Yes, religion in the past really did fund most of the major art that still resounds across the world today. They were simply the only ones who could economically afford it, not to mention that as a "glory to god" it wasn't considered excess like many of the nobles artistic endeavors were. It's too bad that more of that is not occuring today.

I do not follow any kind of established religion, but in my country many religious organizations do a wonderful job in helping those in need. For that I am deeply thankful. Since the vast majority here are Roman Catholic I am especially thankful for the fact that it inspires people to do good.

For all that many current religions reject science, and for all the bad rap Christianity gets for rejecting the Copernican model of the Solar System (which is mostly false), religion actually used to be the driving force behind most natural sciences, especially astronomy, as they tried to better understand God's work in order to better understand God.

1.) Charity is probably the number one good of religion. Even for all it's shortcomings, the Roman Catholic Church is a huge charitable organization that provides assistance to millions of all different types of people.

2.) Sense of community and belonging is another big one. I can remember going to Mass on Sundays and everyone was so kind to one another, no matter who you were. Everyone at that moment shared a common bond.

It allows us to live by a set of basic moral beliefs... like others have said. It allows for art and expression, it has influenced architecture, governments, migrations to other continents, and etc.. so Religion is pretty defining. The literature is what I like, although I don't agree with a lot of what people translate that literature into.. the bible was for a time one of my favorite things to read.

From what i've studied and read, which is little so i do feel like i'm standing on a pedestal of sand, is that most widely accepted religion is based on love, or another similer connotation. It insiperes us to love, to grieve and to forgive. It gives us a vast understanding that other things may not be able to explain. It is also what gave us Faith and coupled with it Hope. Hope is importent, which was the last thing to come out of Pandora's Box, without it I don't know how mankind would have survived.

I worship Odin.

We throw the weak children to the war dogs. If they are strong enough to survive, it's Odin's will and they aren't a burden to the clan. Otherwise they feed the war-dogs and give them a work out.

Whenever we sack a village, we take the best ass and slaughter the rest. That way we keep the gene pool constantly refreshed and not inbred like the Scots.

Civil and criminal litigation is handled by trial by combat. That way, it doesn't matter how big a psycho-thug you are as long as you are a good fighter.

Home, hearth and fertility is the domain of the goddess Freya who bonds a man to his wife at home and his male mate for combat.

If you face a impossible battle with courage, Thor will appear and fight by your side.

I can only talk about Christianity, not because I think it's the only religion with "good" in it, but because it's the only one with which I'm familiar enough to reply.

This is a broad question, so I'm going to focus on how it can affect society rather than the individual. The Bible can be used for good or for ill. When relied upon in the best ways, it teaches how to treat each other better.

1. The parable of the Good Samaritan teaches us to look beyond races, nationalities and other prejudices we might have towards other people and help when we are needed.

2. Jesus befriended the harlot Mary Magdalene to the chagrin of some of the disciples, which is another example of how we should spend a lot less time judging each other and more time caring about each other.

3. Jesus showed by example that we can be forgiven, but we must also be able to forgive others.

4. The Bible lays the foundation for good morals that speak to how we treat other people, such as not lying, not stealing, etc. The problem with that is that people sometimes focus too much on that aspect and not only take certain passages too literally, but forget to couple it with Jesus' example of not judging and forgiving.

5. The Bible says we were made after God's own image, which implies not only that we have worth as individuals, but that all humans have worth and need to be treated that way. This was the basis of the Quakers' abolitionist views.

You make some good points. The one aspect that I have an issue with (not you or your post, just in general) is this concept that our morals come from some biblical inspiration. If that was the case, atheists, wiccans, and the like would be horrid people with no moral compass at all. My own experiences have illustrated those "qualities" more often in the religious people I know. I don't think that we need a bible or a book to tell us that it's wrong to kill other people, or to f**k our neighbor's wife (or husbandbiggrin.gif).

How about architecture?

Notre Dam de Paris 20356-004-21DBD200.jpg

St. Patrick's Cathedral, New York City 800px-St_Patrick%27s_cathedral_NY.jpg

Wesminster Cathedral, London mob347_1145967410.jpg

one word

Art

Yes, religion in the past really did fund most of the major art that still resounds across the world today. They were simply the only ones who could economically afford it, not to mention that as a "glory to god" it wasn't considered excess like many of the nobles artistic endeavors were. It's too bad that more of that is not occuring today.

Yes, religion has delivered up some pretty cool art. But I think Cia's point is the most pertinent. Those edifices (Notre Dame, St. Peters, etc) were built on the economic backs of people who could ill afford them. The cost in lives to build and support a cathedral (they come with bishops, who lived like princes) was substantial. I'm not saying we shouldn't appreciate their beauty, I'm just saying we should recognize the pain and suffering caused by their construction.

• Like 1

Your point about Jesus' association with prostitutes (as well as other kinds of outcasts) is well taken, as are the others points. But nothing in the Bible suggests that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute, however. Pope Gregory did that in a sermon centuries later, and some popular literature has carried that notion on into modern times. There are at least 4 or 5 Marys in the Gospels, and they were obviously not all the same person. Also, there are a couple of stories about Jesus' feet being anointed, and they don't necessarily imply the same event. Also, don't confuse "the other Mary" of Matthew 28 with Olive, the Other Reindeer.

In terms of this thread, your positives could also be considered negatives. They can bring to mind how Christianity as practiced often has little to do with the teachings or example of Jesus.

• Like 1

I'll reply to this topic with a story :).

I loved Angels & Demons, the book was amazing; the movie had an explosion, 'nuff said. I went to see it with my aunt, cousins, and my girlfriend(I had one at the time). When it came to a point where it displayed St. Peters Basilica, and again later when it came to the Mausoleum of Hadrian(aka, Castel Sant'Angelo) I, jokingly of course, leaned over to my younger cousin next to me, and whispered 'if I was offered a chance to visit that, and the only condition was I would have to kill you, I would consider it.'

Later, after the movie, we were in the car and Tiff(my ex, not my cousin) asked me why I would even want to visit a place dedicated to a religion I don't believe in. I thought about it for a while and I finally came up with the answers:

1. Beauty - This is also the 'art' reason. If you don't find these three things phenomenal in their own form, I feel sorry for you; You are incapable of wonderment.

http://www.romamyhom...lSantAngelo.jpg

http://www.christusr...e/40s-Altar.jpg

http://keralaarticle...rs-basilica.jpg

2. History - My absolute favorite subject, locked in these buildings is the history that shaped today's world.

3. Human Ingenuity - Not only the designing of these buildings, and the art, but also the designing of the religion; the religion itself is truly a masterpiece of art.

4. Curiosity - Self explanatory, that which I do not understand interests me. The concept of the Christian belief fascinates me.

Ok I'm done with this story, it's taking too long for me to say and I'm way too tired at the moment.

Basically, I don't think any religion is bad, in fact I believe them all to be great. Unfortunately, a religion is labeled by it's bads, and not it's good. It is also labeled by the actions of a select few, those select few being the haters, the condemners, those certain people who most of you imply when speaking bad of religion. In essence, the bad apples. They ruin it for everyone. It's always the ignorant ones, too. Personally I know many, and by many I mean 100s, of Christians, Mormons, and other religions...and most of them are great people, these are the people that a religion should be defined on. I know many LDS who are advocates for gay rights, and gay marriage. One of which is a close friend to me, does not believe in gay marriage, but has told me on countless occasions that she makes it a goal of hers not to let her personal religious beliefs cloud her judgement on the rights of another individual. To each his own.

The good that has come of religion, and the good that is in religion, in my opinion, greatly outweighs the negative that has come of it.

P.S. - My life long dream is to enter the Scavi

For all of the harm that right-wing reactionaries have done using "the church" to prop up their biases, I can also think of lots of progressives whose strength came from their spirituality and their religious base: folks like Martin Luther King, Jr., or William Sloane Coffin among Christians, or Abraham Joshua Heschel and Zalman Schachter-Shalomi among Jews. I can think of lots of other examples, some more obscure than these, and I've met many fine folks on the left whose desire to change the world for the better is based on religious principles. If progressives surrender the religious establishment to the right, religion will lose, and the progressive cause will lose, too.

--Rigel

There is one very good thing that religion is largely responsible for: ending the slave trade. Ministers like Wilberforce in Britain (after the Napoleonic Wars) railed against the evils of slavery and fired up the populace to end it, while the Royal Navy squadrons posted off the coast of West Africa made it a reality.

So, we can add that to the positive side to try and offset the 30 years war, which cost Germany half it's population, or the French Wars of Religion, which cost France about 10% of her population.