Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

About Brad.....

I've gotten some interesting comments about Brad since I started writing "Millennium." Some here, some at my yahoo group, and some via e-mail. Brad's always been an "in control" kind of guy, who has to battle his internal impulsiveness, temper, yet still manages to bring a logical and fair approach to the situation. The observation is that he's not doing that in Millennium.

Actually, that observation is perfectly correct. My intent was to portray Brad as a completely malfunctioning individual. For him, Robbie's been an anchor, his foundation, and now that he's lost that to some degree, Brad is floundering around, trying to ground himself however he can. He's been pretty unsuccessful so far. I've tried to show those moments of clarity, of his former self, and they almost make him seem bipolar.

If you've ever gone through a break-up with someone you love, especially if they break-up with you, you'll probably remember the contortions you went through. The excruciating pain, the complete lack of logic. That's what we're dealing with here.

Of all the characters I've written, Brad is the most like me personally. So now you know how I act when I get dumped.biggrin.gif

Yeah. One of the things I really liked about Be Rad was how much it reminded me of On the Mark. I kinda figured that Brad was like you in terms of personality. Although he's hunky, and you're more of an adorkably cute guy, I think.

Brad's life had been basically stable since 1986. I think he needed to be put through the paces. What better than being in your late 30's, having your husband essentially dump you, having business issues, and seeing your oldest son about to graduate from high school put you in a mid-life crisis spin?

I do think what's funny about the whole thing is that Brad doesn't seem to realize how screwed up he is...he just thinks Robbie's the one having the crisis.

Edited by methodwriter85

Chap 9:

Brad's games are very irrational and while they make sense to the wounded and bleeding party, he's only going to push Robbie away more. Also I get that wealth people have their own perception of the value of money, but who buys a 20 year old the equivalent of home (You couldn't give him a BMW?)?? Men with boy-toys-I'm sorry RICH men with boy-toys. Brad servicing college guys and buying them expensive toys must be how he deals with his own mid-life crisis. It would be hypocritical now for him to make fun of the money Robbie spends on himself and Carson when he does spends his own money for similar reasons. I wonder if he'll figure it out?

If this is similar to how you handle break-ups I almost feel bad for the guy who screwed you over :)

Chap 9:

Brad's games are very irrational and while they make sense to the wounded and bleeding party, he's only going to push Robbie away more. Also I get that wealth people have their own perception of the value of money, but who buys a 20 year old the equivalent of home (You couldn't give him a BMW?)?? Men with boy-toys-I'm sorry RICH men with boy-toys. Brad servicing college guys and buying them expensive toys must be how he deals with his own mid-life crisis. It would be hypocritical now for him to make fun of the money Robbie spends on himself and Carson when he does spends his own money for similar reasons. I wonder if he'll figure it out?

If this is similar to how you handle break-ups I almost feel bad for the guy who screwed you over :)

Me in a break-up: I'm usually a calm, mild-mannered. person. I lose that. tongue.gif

Porsche's Boxster wasn't quite as expensive as a house. Around $40K in 1999. Brad's not worried about Robbie spending money on Carson, he's pissed off about the attention he's giving him.

...and Brad is okay with buying his cousin nephew brother Kevin a car? That boy IS broken. :P

And nice touch with the "God gave us the money" thing haha

Me in a break up - I was totally cool when my ex cheated on me. After we decided to end it (about a year after that), I totally lost it when he wanted to take half of our CD collection.

I'm not sure if Mark is like Brad or not. I will say Brad maybe a wounded person, mainly because of his mother and brother and sister, however it also made Brad strong. Robbie wounded Brad badly very badly. Most people would not be able to bound back. But Brad has seen JP over the years, lose Jeff and Sam Roger and Mouse. Brad know what it is to lose a person you love. After a week of sadness Brad is back. Even if he loses Robbie he will make it. Of all the charactors I love Brad maybe only JP more. Go Brad!!!

Brad is one charater that I really relate to. One of Mark's particular skills is to create characters that are incredibly real - even if their situations and inevitable happy endings are more rose tinted than average. I can really relate to Brad, becuase we are actually pretty alike (erm.... he is slightly better hung i'll admit Hell, nobody will ever know any different - I'm even as hung as he is!!). I am incredibly controlled in my emotions - and though I feel insecurities, I very rarely show them. My default state is to be deliberate, calculated - some might say cold. People find me un-nerving and occasionally intimidating. And just like Brad, all that goes out the window when it comes to love. Right now there is only one person in the world who can make me cry for example.

Im pretty sure that the way Brad is acting is exactly in line with the way I would act myself in the same situation. Possibly, I would be slightly more calculated in my actions - my instinct might have been more to get at Carson to ensure I win. These similarities - and the fact that I know I would act in the same way - Makes Brad all the more real to me. Even down to the point that my first instinct would be to take Matt to my bedroom. I have said before of Mark's writing that Matt Carswold was the first fictional character I ever "fell for" - and in fact is the only one to date.

All this in mind... when everyone says Brad "seems different".... im not so sure. I think he acts in eactly the way I would expect. He has grown to be sure - you can sense more of his age - but I thyink he is axactly the same Brad that we have loved all this time

West

PS - My own opinion for this storyline is that Robbie and Brad have a major fight at a family function - Brad's sister Claire tries to calm robbie down by taking him out for a drive. They die in a freak accident, so Brad and Jack Hobart come together in their grief.... 'cos if Matt is the character I fell in love with.... Jack Hobart is definitely the one I would lust after :P

Edited by Westie

yes Jack is str8... So are the MP's I done when I was in the military :P:D.

And no, I would hate it if another key character dies like that :(.

Unless it's Brian...

Jack has been surrounded by a multitude of hot gay men for almost twenty years. If he had ever any inkling to go there, I think it would've happened. LOL.

Word about Brian. Although I do think it might be interesting if Will or John Hobart ended up in the military fighting in Iraq.

Edited by methodwriter85

Umm, Jack is straight.

I've never found that to be a problem in the past ;) and in an emotional state.... who knows. But anyway... i'm allowed my fantasy :P

To go back on topic, we have seen in Chapter 11 Brad totally loose it - If it were me I would now expect to see a slow gathering of control over the next few chapters.... bringing brad back around to his usual controlled self. We all need a blow out every now and then :)

To go back on topic, we have seen in Chapter 11 Brad totally loose it - If it were me I would now expect to see a slow gathering of control over the next few chapters.... bringing brad back around to his usual controlled self. We all need a blow out every now and then :)

That's true, but it seems that he likes taking it to the extreme. :ph34r:

• Like 1

That's true, but it seems that he likes taking it to the extreme. :ph34r:

Well, this IS a soap opera. If everyone acted level without going to extremes, it would be boring.

Both are true. Still, you have a guy who is under extreme stress already, and then his foundation is ripped away. We read about guys who get fired from their jobs, and then their wives kick them out of the house and divorce them and just lose it.

I found it particularly interesting when Brad seemed to take blaim for screwing up the relationship when he bashed the windshield....in my thinking, Robbie is still the main culprit. Brad is screwed up, but in this land of wealth and privilege, Robbie started Brad's road to ruin....a thread has mentioned that Brad may logically start to regain control, logical, but what has made the series interesting is how it takes great twists and turns. Brad is still my favorite character. I re-read some of the earlier writings to re-fresh why Brad was so in love and there is a strong case for the love they have, but in 'The Box', and with this mid-life crisis, it does seem that Robbie is a whiny jerk, but he has had moments of greatness in the past.

• Like 1

I found it particularly interesting when Brad seemed to take blaim for screwing up the relationship when he bashed the windshield....in my thinking, Robbie is still the main culprit. Brad is screwed up, but in this land of wealth and privilege, Robbie started Brad's road to ruin....a thread has mentioned that Brad may logically start to regain control, logical, but what has made the series interesting is how it takes great twists and turns. Brad is still my favorite character. I re-read some of the earlier writings to re-fresh why Brad was so in love and there is a strong case for the love they have, but in 'The Box', and with this mid-life crisis, it does seem that Robbie is a whiny jerk, but he has had moments of greatness in the past.

Thanks for your input, and for giving me your virgin post!!!!

It's kind of funny if you think about blame in relationships. It's easy to look at it and come to concrete conclusions about who is right and who is wrong, but as has been pointed out, there are two sides to the story. I don't want to spoil the story by giving you my take on Robbie, but this crisis he's dealing with is a big deal to him. Do I think he's handling it badly? Yeah. But we don't always do the right things or the smart things in life.

tuesday is over wheres chapter 12? i wana know more about ampolis or whatever it is.....

ummm I understand brads atitude and i think bipolar is the wronge word. I lived with a mother who had bipolar. Messages get twisted so much around that it makes absolutly no sense, in stead of brad throwing a hammer into the car whiles he's drunk, he does it sober and with robbie in the car. Then thinks it's cuz there was a bug on the window. And i'm dead serious thats what can come out of it. Worst i've heard is my mom holding a knife over my dad's head....now that would be freaking scary! Other wise her head can light up like a pumpkin or people die on peoples birthdays and i'm gona scream it in the middle of the night! (i only woke up once to that, otherwise i was a heavey sleeper)

Unfortunatly she died 3 years ago, by her own hand. Strong woman, love her dearly. I can talk about it easily now and it's no problem it was scary at first to try and get understanding of what she was going through.

So yeah little bit personal there for ya about me. but Brad is way far from bipolar yet! :P

Anyway Chapter 12....anyminute now.

tuesday is over wheres chapter 12? i wana know more about ampolis or whatever it is.....

ummm I understand brads atitude and i think bipolar is the wronge word. I lived with a mother who had bipolar. Messages get twisted so much around that it makes absolutly no sense, in stead of brad throwing a hammer into the car whiles he's drunk, he does it sober and with robbie in the car. Then thinks it's cuz there was a bug on the window. And i'm dead serious thats what can come out of it. Worst i've heard is my mom holding a knife over my dad's head....now that would be freaking scary! Other wise her head can light up like a pumpkin or people die on peoples birthdays and i'm gona scream it in the middle of the night! (i only woke up once to that, otherwise i was a heavey sleeper)

Unfortunatly she died 3 years ago, by her own hand. Strong woman, love her dearly. I can talk about it easily now and it's no problem it was scary at first to try and get understanding of what she was going through.

So yeah little bit personal there for ya about me. but Brad is way far from bipolar yet! :P

Anyway Chapter 12....anyminute now.

Wow MM, I'm really sorry about your mother. hug.gif You're right about bi-polar disorder. I've got people in my life who have it, and they're not the only victims. The people who love them suffer from it too. The extremes, when they lose their ability to think rationally, are really scary, but life with them is like one big roller coaster ride, where the highs can be as tiring as the lows. Brad's definitely not bi-polar. He's just rudderless right now.

12 is up, as you all probably know. Sorry for the delay. Joe is hot, and he has a life.biggrin.gif

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..