The Next Thing for E-Readers

Click here for a view of the next big thing to hit the e-readers that is going to be unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas in early January.

It's pretty exciting. E-ink look like paper and you can read it in the sun, though color e-ink is not yet capable of rendering video, and some find the colors to be somewhat muted. This especially appeals to me because my iPad makes my eyes tired after a while because the screen is so bright.

What kind of e-reader do you guys use?

• Like 1

I use a nook and my iphone. I really like the nook for the e-ink, the price was right, and I really, really don't like proprietary formats or DRM on ebooks (otherwise I'd probably have gone with a kindle. I like the smaller form factor of the nook and kindle over the ipad -I borrowed one for a couple of weeks and found that the ipad seems, to me, to be just exactly the wrong size for holding it in one hand and reading. I can hold my nook in one hand and read comfortably.

I'm very interested in seeing the new crop of devices.

From what I've read, e-ink doesn't have very good FPS. The main advantage of e-ink is that you won't get eye strain from using them and that the battery life tends to be very long.

I adapt to new technology very well, however, I'm not sure it is justified to pay extra to get a colour e-reader when I'm just going to be using it for reading.

Edited by thephoenix

From what I've read, e-ink doesn't have very good FPS. The main advantage of e-ink is that you won't get eye strain from using them and that the battery life tends to be very long.

I adapt to new technology very well, however, I'm not sure it is justified to pay extra to get a colour e-reader when I'm just going to be using it for reading.

The color e-reader wasn't that much more in absolute dollar terms - 149 vs 249 - which is about 67% more I know. But we bought both our moms color e-readers. The color ones allow you to get your magazines on line which are usually best in color not black and white. That said, I know nothing about the merits or demerits of e-ink vs other stuff but I can say the computer screen has been giving me eye strain quite a bit lately so maybe that is what I need LOL.

• Like 1

this may sound so "anciently" old fashioned but I do still use my palm pilot--I know, I know...but it still works. They've gone obsolete even, ugh I feel so embarrassed. I mean, I'm usually up to date with technology but I just couldn't get into the new e-readers as of late. Probably because I'm a book horde, and now my place looks like a mess--if Clean House were to knock on my door, they'd be able to haul a truck load of books. I find the feeling of turning pages of a book a turn on, yikes---a fetish hehehehe. Talk about flipping a page on the G-TAB, IPAD or Kindle--it just doesn't have the oomph of flipping actual paper. Swiping a finger across the screen or pushing a button here and there just doesn't cut it for me--it feels hollow and empty. I'm usually not a cynic but....

Edited by KDave

Click here for a view of the next big thing to hit the e-readers that is going to be unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas in early January.

It's pretty exciting. E-ink look like paper and you can read it in the sun, though color e-ink is not yet capable of rendering video, and some find the colors to be somewhat muted. This especially appeals to me because my iPad makes my eyes tired after a while because the screen is so bright.

I use my Sprint EVO. The screen is small but it goes everywhere I go so i don't need to carry but one device with me. Plus I have unlimited internet on my plan so I can read GA stories where ever I am.

For casual reading I use the Kindle and Nook apps on my Android-based Samsung Galaxy S phone. The Kindle app is bug-free, but I find the Nook app crashes once in a while. I download books on my laptop which runs both Kindle and Nook PC apps. I read magazines and computer books on my laptop; the larger screen makes doing both more practical.

I don't have an iPad. I can't afford it (insert image: starving university graduate student) and for me it has no advantage over the combination of my phone and laptop which I have to carry anyway. Plus adding another almost 2 pounds for an iPad and its case is almost 2 pounds of additional weight I'd have to carry around every day.

Colin B)

I like my kindle. It mimics the page of a book as far as color/font contrast on the page and I don't experience any more eyestrain than a regular book. The e-ink looks like it will have some real possibilities.

Both myself and my mom use the Nook. We were going to get a Kindle, but based on some things that we found out, we decided to go with the Nook. We could have been told wrong, but from what we understand, for the Kindle, you can only buy books from Amazon. The other nice thing about the Nook, is other than coming out with the Nook Color, rather than create a new "Nook" constantly, there are updates that are downloaded to the Nook with software updates.

• Like 1

My Kindle. And the Kindle app for my Droid phone.

And Kindle will read a variety of formats. You're not restricted to only what you buy from Amazon. Although the features always change, I originally went with Kindle because it would deal with HTML documents. Last summer I put Mark Arbour's Academic Predator series on my Kindle!

Nothing beats a book, but I like my Kindle for transporting. That way when i travel I don't have to lug around books. Since I read so fast and can go through books like delicious cake, I need a Kindle (or half my carry on bag would be books which would be a waste of space since they charge for having checked baggage now) and like someone mentioned the Kindle is not back lit like a computer screen or smart phone so it's easy on the eyes (so if you are reading in the dark, you'll need a book light still...haha) and yes you can add other works to the kindle other than amazin books. :D

We bought both our mothers a Color Nook this year. Originally we planned to get them Kindles because neither of them have Wi-Fi in their homes and Kindle has a built in connection to Amazon via Sprint. On a whim we decided to go look at the Nook first before we bought. We ended up buying them Nooks. The one selling point that made the decision easy is tech support. Both our mothers were going to require a fair bit to set it up, buy books etc. Nooks comes with the ability to take the darn thing to a B&N and they will help you set it up, buy books etc. Once we realized that, there was no choice. For us at least it was the over riding reason, for others it might not be.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought my kindle just a couple of days ago, got it in the mail yesterday, I was so exited ^^

I used to use my eeepc for reading ebooks, but it's battery has been dying on me so the use of it has gotten less and less.

I already had a lot of ebooks in pdf and other formats on my laptop and I converted them to kindle format with ease with the use of a program (plus side it also keeps track of what books I own and if I do or don't have them on the kindle).

I can change any html or doc to a kindle format with a lot of ease so I can use it for all sorts of things when I want it to.

I now have about 50 of my own collection on it (downloaded from various places on the net) and a couple of classics from the amazone kindle store. up until now I would probably pay more for actually buying all the books in paperback than that I payed for my kindle. LOL

Plus I use it to check my email and facebook when I'm not at my laptop :P

• Site Administrator

I want one! No seiously, I devour books so quickly and my bookshelf has 4 stacks of books for each shelf for 4 rows. I don't have room for another shelf and the top one is bordering on 5 1/2 rows :P I'm running out of room for new books and I'm not getting rid of the ones I have. I love my local used bookstore but my house is too small for my love. That being said I will most likely get a nook, though I haven't really looked too into it. It's torture to crave what I can't have.

This looks quite cool :) Never been able to afford an ereader and don't really see the use for one :D I use my netbook to read and stuffz :D

Well I own an ereader, namely the original nook. I really like it because when I go out somewhere I can't bring my laptop, it makes it so much easier to read multiple books rather than taking two or three books and getting them messed up.

I've been looking at getting another ipad to use as one (my old one suffered at work and ended up dying) but honestly I've fallen in love with my e-ink screen with books. My eyes don't feel as bad as when I used my ipad. I even brought this up to my eye doc and he said that people who have eye issues he recomends e-ink because of the reduced strain.

So yea, ereaders are becoming the way of the future for that reason. Another reason is that independent artisis can publish easier to barnes and noble along with amazon and google I think, but that's a different topic.

Eric

I just bought the Nookcolor. It's still charging for the first time and I've already downloaded four books. :D

by the time I was able to order, 2 days after the initial idea, I already had about 20 books downloaded from amazon, but at least I could read them on my laptop with the app.

BTW, what made you buy the colour one?

Long live paper though.

Just because I say so.

Oh, yeah. Long live paper (if it's acid-free). I still like to hold a book, and when I'm studying something, I like the paperback so I don't feel too guilty about marking and highlighting. For e-books, the iPad is great, and you can download a Kindle app (if you want to). Loads of free books. The gay books on the Apple site? I looked at a couple. Okay, don't go crazy on me, but they don't hold a candle to some of the stuff on this site...and, they cost money. I did run into some problems posting to this site on the iPad, but never had any problem reading stuff.

Oh, found Myr's "how-to" for iPad ... No problems, one.

Edited by AndyM