Where is it from?

I know it because I know dc, but Im not giving it away. I will give hints. Author is English, died in 1968. Sometimes compared to Tolkien, but his work is more surreal and dystopian.

The title.....hmmm...........its a name of one of the characters.

The only English author I can think of who died in the 60s is Mervin Peak (not sure if that's spelt right). But without cheating and using google or wiki the only story of his I can think of is one called Mr Pye, though that line doesn't sound familiar.

Oookay, Since Roan and dc are MIA,

I googled, and no, i wont be answering, but, It's not the title 'Zombie' said it is.

Sorry.

ps: Although, that is the series. the title is a book in that series.

We are allowed to ask five questions. So here are mine:

Nationality of author?

Date of publication of book?

What is the first letter of the title?

Has a movie been made of the book?

What year was book published?

Nationality of author? - English

Date of publication of book? - 1622

What is the first letter of the title? - O

Has a movie been made of the book? - Yes

What year was book published? - this is the same as Q2, I'll be generous and let you ask another :)

At last!

I loved this book. Every word is brilliant:

I like dogs. You always know what a dog is thinking. It has four moods. Happy, sad, cross and concentrating. Also, dogs are faithful and they do not tell lies because they cannot talk.

As an outsider he had no pet name, and was exempt from the heavy drollery of the family lingo. His own gift was a small knobbly bottle of cologne called "Je Promets". He took an appreciative sniff, and read into it various nice discriminations on the part of the donors; certainly his own parents would never have given him anything so fragrant or ambiguous.

As an outsider he had no pet name, and was exempt from the heavy drollery of the family lingo. His own gift was a small knobbly bottle of cologne called "Je Promets". He took an appreciative sniff, and read into it various nice discriminations on the part of the donors; certainly his own parents would never have given him anything so fragrant or ambiguous.

Is it 'The line of beauty'?

I can't recall the author, though! :(

Is it 'The line of beauty'?

I can't recall the author, though! Posted Image

Well done! If you got this without Googling then I'm impressed :) I deliberately chose an incidental passage with no names, but the clues were that the protagonist, Nick Guest, is an "outsider" - in every sense - and that he's probably gay (the cologne). And Alan Hollinghurst must have chosen the name "Guest" to ram the point home.

Over to you ...

Well done! If you got this without Googling then I'm impressed Posted Image I deliberately chose an incidental passage with no names, but the clues were that the protagonist, Nick Guest, is an "outsider" - in every sense - and that he's probably gay (the cologne). And Alan Hollinghurst must have chosen the name "Guest" to ram the point home.

Over to you ...

yay!

and yeah, i did get it without googling, and that's only because of the name of the cologne, tbh. My friend loaned me the book a while back and i'd read it. I think i'll get a copy for myself! :)

I would have NEVER been able to name the author. lol. so thanks for giving it to me ^_^.

so, here goes:

The mistake the two of us made,’ I said, ‘was that we skimped the foreplay. I’m not blaming you, it was as much my fault as yours, but it was a fault nonetheless.

I'm going to get this wrong I know I am. I know the line. I read about half a dozen books one after the other recently and this is from one of them.

Foe by JM Coetzee

well...

you did get half of the answer wrong! ;)

It is Coetzee, but.. wrong book, sorry love!

remember me saying i need to pick up the book to check?? :P maybe.... you could do that? :lol: