Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Can Brad Be Redeemed?

Can Brad Be Redeemed?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is Brad Beyond the Point of Redemption?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

Westie said that Brad had gone beyond the point of redemption, with his actions in Millennium and Poor Man's Son. Do you agree with him, or do you think Brad is no longer worth calling a protagonist anymore?

In my case, I'm just disappointed with the way things turned out. Brad and Robbie set up a family in the 1980's, when it was rare for gay men to do so, and practiced a monogamous partnership for 14 years. Then that all went to hell in Millennium, and it turned out both of them were pretty shitty parents. Robbie decided to blow up the family on the account of his mid-life crisis, and Brad became a complete and total control freak who could no longer relate to his sons. That really sucked for me- I was hoping for a more positive portrait of gay families where the men could provide a stable environment for their kids and an admirably monogamous marriage for their kids to have an example of. Now Will's pretty much out the door, and JJ doesn't feel all that close to either of his dads, and it's just disappointing to me. I just hope Matt and Wade do a better job with Riley.

So what do you guys think? Has Brad completely lost any redeemable qualities to you, or do you think he's still worth something as a protagonist?

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

I voted that he can be redeemed. He is a total block head which makes it more difficult. However, in the greater picture of the total CAP universe, Brad has been a major figure for a long time and while that may change, I just can't picture Mr. Arbour casting a character in whom he has invested so much time, completely aside. Of course, the author does like the unexpected......

Edited by Daddydavek

As he is currently being portrayed? No. It just wouldn't be believable. Maybe if we could actually get a good reference that isn't from Will's narcissistic point of view (such as from any adult) I might change my opinion. To be honest, I'm not getting why M and PMS were missteps for Brad. Yes, things started off bad in M, but once others pointed out problems, he tried to work on them, and started paying closer attention (something he seems to have completely shrugged off and just gone off the deep end in P). Even in PMS he wasn't anything like his current portrayal.

It's too hard to tell what is supposed to be Brad's actual behavior, and what is just Will's typical over dramatization of events.

I have voted not sure. I mean if Michael showed up and tried to kill Will and Brad gave his life saving Will, that would be a redeemable act. The problem I have with Brad is that over the last few stories he has seemingly become so ego driven that he is willing to sacrifice anything and do anything to win. Even back in " Be Rad ", Brad was anal in his behaviour but he has become almost sociopathic over the last few stories. I don't even really believe he killed to protect his kids and family but to win, the protection gave him a way to rationalize it to himself but the winning seemed to be more important to him than anything.

" Man in Motion " and " Bloodlines " were the two stories that I really seemed to find Brad engaging and personable. In both of those, Brad acted in a manner that lead you to believe his family was the most important thing in the world to him. His behaviour humanized him and made him more enjoyable for me. Although, I will say that I commented during both stories about Brad's offhand comments about Robbie and how it was borderline abusive. That being said, Brad seemed to be more evenly balanced and open in those stories.

I don't think we are just seeing Brad's behaviour from Will's point of view. JP, Claire, Stef, Wade, and others have all reacted to Brad in negative ways; Will has a narrator has emphazised that but doesn't change the fact they view his actions with negative connotations.

No one can win all the time. It is how we handle defeat and the compromises that occur in your work, personal, and all aspects of your life; that shows what kind of person we are.

Brad is turning into Brian for me to some extent. He is becoming more of an aggravation rather than just an annoyance. Brad can be saved but only under the sure guidance of Mark's soft touches.

Here's what should happen to Brad: he dies in a horrible car accident, Will becomes despondent and changes, Robbie marries a girl (drugs) and everyone becomes miserable in Palo Alto.

George Granger brings the guns to bear and shells the crap out of Malibu. Stef is upset about the nine pounder in the dining room table, until...

George leads an expeditionary force to Escorial and pounds it into gravel.

Edited by Gene Splicer PHD

George Granger brings the guns to bear and shells the crap out of Malibu. Stef is upset about the nine pounder in the dining room table, until...

George leads an expeditionary force to Escorial and pounds it into gravel.

Damn time warp bubbles! I love it!

• 2 weeks later...

There aren't really too many places that Mark could take Brad anymore, either. "Millennium" pretty much seemed like Brad's swan song as a protagonist. He's already seen his kids off, either to college to emancipation. His relationship with Robbie is solid again, and he's solved the family issues he's had. I can't really see what Mark could possibly do with Brad as a protagonist that he hasn't already done.

Edited by methodwriter85

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..