Hmm, looks like he's thinking up a lie to tell.   He must have plenty of money since he's dressed in a tailored suit.   I'm guessing he doesn't want to seem too conventional so he messed up his hair a little and put on a purple tie.   Maybe he's an accountant or something.   I say anyone who "guesses" this one definitely cheated!   :P

Oprah Winfrey (And I haven't cheated.)

LOL. You are an honest man indeed.

It is not Oprah.  The picture does not date from the 19th century as most of our challenges have.  The man pictured is our contemporary and a current news maker.

Jeroen René Victor Anton Dijsselbloem

head of the eurozone's finance ministers

And, no, I didn't cheat - I just ran with Mike's clue - current news maker - and followed the bodies in Mike's Cyprus blog :P

Btw, don't you sleep Mike?

• Like 1

Btw, don't you sleep Mike?

Not a lot.  It's an age thing.  I have sleeping pills, but if I take one, I can't stay awake in the daytime.  :yawn:   :sleep:

Congratulations on the correct response.  I need to give misleading clues in the future.  :whistle:

Whoarethesepeople8_zps7a9d0456.jpg

Dutch Finance Minister Jeroen Dijsselbloem

Don't be surprised when the global elite confiscate money from your bank account one day.  They are already very clearly telling you that they are going to do it.  Dutch Finance Minister Jeroen Dijsselbloem is the president of the Eurogroup - an organization of eurozone finance ministers that was instrumental in putting together the Cyprus "deal" - and he has said publicly that what has just happened in Cyprus will serve as a blueprint for future bank bailouts.  What that means is that when the chips are down, they are going to come after YOUR money.

The blog Zombie mentioned:  https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/blog/201/entry-13361-the-cyprus-syndrome/

Your turn, Zombie.  Amaze us with your challenge.

• Like 1

Apologies, Mike, but I'm away offline now till sometime next week.

As Red knew the answer I nominate him to set the next challenge :)

Btw your emoticons have made me yawn!

Btw your emoticons have made me yawn!

Sorry about that.  I should add that I actually get enough sleep...about six hours a night.  On rare occasion, I take a 20 or 30 minute afternoon nap.

well I was not ready for this, I Knew the  previous photo was of one of the Trioka as it had been shown on TV but I had to cheat to find the name, and position.

I was going to go to London to photo this one, but was caught short, so here is a painting of a famous boat, the person associated with it and the connection is requested.

PS I do not think CJ has been here.

I thought I had seen that photo before, however I didn't think it had a european connection... :o

and does that count Red A, It's a painting... from i'd say looking the boat (and it is a boat) the 1800's, and I would think from what they're wearing and what the background is like, that they're either explorers of the Arctic or Antarctic... or they just recently lost the ship due to ice...

Yes it does count, we have had a Picassio previously,  but here he is in his leafy London home.

boat1.jpg

from i'd say looking the boat (and it is a boat) the 1800's, and I would think from what they're wearing and what the background is like, that they're either explorers of the Arctic or Antarctic... or they just recently lost the ship due to ice...

yes get the boat, you get the connection, and i will accept any of the crew, although one stand out as my hero.

No he is not as old as that, he is less than 100 years old!

Yes it is a voyage in snowy waters, the arctic, canada, greenland, icleand. norway, the Baltic(Lativa), Terra del Fuego , south geogia, Antarctic ???

I believe the crew had done some exploring on previous voyages and had lost a ship in a previous voyage,

Although the boat is named after a Dundee jute manufacturer, I do not believe it went near Dundee or the Discovery.  However she is a  slighly modified whaler, rowing/sailing boat for harpooning and lassoing whales. It is likely that Discovery had a ship boat derived from whalers.

well there are no Alleynians here, curent or old as they must have seen this boat every day!

Although I would not use the espression "shacked up",  This dundee jute magnate when approached for a small donation for this continental expedition provide £2 million in todays money (half the cost of the expedition) He also provide money for other projects in Dundee which bear his name

I'm guessing Cel is giving subtle hints about Ernest Shackleton? :P

This is the boat that made the incredible 600 mile voyage to South Georgia around a hundred years ago [when the south polar expedition  were stranded on Elephant Island] with three crew [leaving the remainder - including Shackleton I believe - to survive on what rations they had, supplemented by a few murdered penguins?] in about 10 days? who then had to trek across impossibly mountainous and icy terrain to reach a settlement - whaling station? - raise the alarm and get a rescue mission that picked up the stranded crew many weeks later and just in time?

Yes Zombie, I think that is near enough

The boat is the James Caird, a open rowing boat which sail 800 nautical miles in sixteen days from Elephant Island in the South Shetlands to the south coast of South Georgia, carrying Ernest Henry Shackleton.

Shackleton, had seen his norwegian built ship Endurance, break in the ice, and when the ice flow had broken up sailed the three ship boats to Elephant Island where he left 22 of the crew.  He then led six men to South Georgia where they had to stay off the island for a day because of a great storm.  He then led two men over the snow covered mountains to the whaling station on the north.  He then took (from memory) 6 attempts to rescue his men from elephant island... It is said that he never lost a man in all his travels.

Voyage of the James Caird is reckoned to be best voyage undertaken by any small boat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyage_of_the_James_Caird

The picture, I used was choosen as it gave clues, and I thought Cel got it the first time. If he had googled arctic explorers, He would have found it.

MikeL nearly got it, but Discovery was a unfortunate red herring, as her boats would have mostly been the same pattern

then Cel definitely got Shackled ton

Clue: probably not his own hair ... :P

Dunno why the pic's so small - if you double click it to open it up, then right click, then select large it will display better

Edited by Zombie