No and no.

His name is mentioned in the attached song   :P

I cant stay silent anymore... Boris Spassky !!! I fell much better now :P

I listened to the song.  Never heard Spassky or any other name.  I did hear Bangkok, but that lead me nowhere.

Podga will have to rule.

• Like 1

I listened to the song.  Never heard Spassky or any other name.

I tried. It was horrible - I suspect podga of deliberate cruelty trying to trick us into listening to 12 minutes of torture :devil:

• Like 1

I tried. It was horrible - I suspect podga of deliberate cruelty trying to trick us into listening to 12 minutes of torture :devil:

:lol: podga is cruel :P at the beginning of the song the choir says a lot of names of great chessplayers - why the H do I know this ?? seen the musical twice AND I have a CD of the music :blushing:  :facepalm:

• Like 2

I cheated so I new who it was.  but Chess the musical was writen about Fischer and Spassky match. and they were originally depicted as the american and the russian. They were never named originally.  The russian was declared the winner originally.  As to the quality of the musical, all I can says is that I saw it once and never got the CD(record)

I am cautious over what I stated because I have never thought it worthwhile to revisit the musical, but I know there has been several version done since.

Edited by Red_A

Slytherin is right. :2thumbs: 

Boris Spassky became World Chess Champion in 1969 and lost in 1972 to Bobby Fischer in the "Match of the Century"  in Reykjavik. It was seen as emblematic of the Cold War.  

And yes, Spassky's name is mentioned (around minute 4:00 I think). Of course Slytherin has seen the musical, seeing as the two ABBA guys wrote the music :gikkle:

Probably the best-known song from Chess though is One Night in Bangkok (sung by Murray Head). It was played in all the dance clubs in 1985.  :D

• Like 1

Someone else can try to post a picture.. everytime I try I get a warning "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community"

and I can't upload a picture to my gallery either :(  Sorry guys..

You'll have to be a teeny tiny bit more specific, pep!!   :gikkle:

I knew the name, because I googled chess champions. I wanted to put a B.S. in the text, but I was affraid they might have misinterpreted that 0:)

• Like 1

i have come to a dead end.  This is for somebody else

This is pre war usa the uniforms and clothes says that.

the person on left says "cheque" presenter in his hand, the stance and clothes of two right says golfers(straight out of old clubhouse pictures)

now I would have guessed first usa tournament. but that was in 1895, and it definitly not that old.  The only USA golfer of that era I know is Bobby Jones but I believe he stopped playing/wining in 1930, and i think that is too early.  It is probably not UK golfer as I believe they would still be wearing breeches or plus fours (knickers--for "US" consumption only)

Therefore who knows US 1930 to 1842 golfers.  recognise them and you can google their joint matches and get golf course.

Golfers. Augusta. Winning cheque. Green jacket.

Sorry it's a black and white picture.  At least my response is green.

You and Red are on the right track.  Paya is in the deep rough.

Edited by MikeL