Over to you W_L you are quite correct

Josiah Wedgwood is the name I am looking for.  He was a dissenter, “Protestants or Quaker”.  It is not known who came up with the phase; it may have been him or Thomas Clarkson Josiah friend and fellow campaigner.  ‘Tradition’ says that the model was James Somersett, a man enslaved in the USA and set free in England by a court that ruled in 1772 that chattel slavery, was not legal and had never been legal in ENGLAND and WALES.  The Jasper Ware (Black and white pottery) medallion was create in Josiah Pottery probably by William Hackwood or Henry Webber, the main modellers.  Josiah Wedgewood made and distributed them free(1787) in the hundreds if not thousands for the English Abolitionist Movement.  The image then spread on to a variety of other things and other countries.

Well, since I just remembered an interesting side fact about Wedgwood, let me move forward with a person who is world renowned in the 20th Century, you might have seen the movie:

Nope same era though, and this American should be well known to Europeans as well, since you guys have produced several things on an event involving him. BBC ran a special as well.

Edited by W_L

Nope, not an aviator and not the right man.

This guy may have been innocent of the crime that he was found guilty for and later be immortalized.

Edited by W_L

Nope, he was not a communist :P In fact for the rest of his life afterward, he worked in geology and the US oil industry.

I recognize him, but will give others a chance.  He's well known in my home state.

OK, I googled again, then wikied, and all I can say... only in America something like that can happen. I didn't believe my sight. But fair enough, every nation has their quirks.

OK, I googled again, then wikied, and all I can say... only in America something like that can happen. I didn't believe my sight. But fair enough, every nation has their quirks.

Now I'm intrigued.... What did he do?  :/

Okay, I will give it one day and another clue:

He was one of the first people the ACLU supported in regards to academic freedom and free speech.

Okay I know, a very famous trial, his was. He is wearing a boater straw hat btw.

Wellll, if you know then tell who it is.....that's the point of the game right?!   :2thumbs:

If this were the movie plot forum, I'd be guessing "Inherit the Wind" from all the clues, hence Scopes "Monkey" Trial. As far as I can remember, Scopes was found guilty, so I'm guessing he stopped teaching - and maybe went into geology.  :P

So I'm guessing Scopes (even though he looks nothing like Dick York, who played the fictionalized teacher in the 1960s movie  :P )

If this were the movie plot forum, I'd be guessing "Inherit the Wind" from all the clues, hence Scopes "Monkey" Trial. As far as I can remember, Scopes was found guilty, so I'm guessing he stopped teaching - and maybe went into geology.   :P

So I'm guessing Scopes (even though he looks nothing like Dick York, who played the fictionalized teacher in the 1960s movie   :P )

You're right. ;) You might not be the first one who guessed right (and didn't cheat :P) but you're the first one who wrote the name. Congrats! :)

The Greek got it :)

Scopes was a teacher in the southern state of TN who was found guilty for teaching evolution against the butler act. It became the first major modern trial on science vs. Religion and was a watershed event around the world. Also during that time, the US was not the only western nation with a chasm between science and religion.

While podga's pottering around plotting to post a problematic poser :P it's worth stating the movie's a classic - well worth catching.

Also:

It is John C. Calhoun, Vice President of the US under Andrew Jackson, Senator, and famous American thinker, who contributed to the formation of the 2nd political party system in the US and developed the concept of "nullification" and "state sovereignty". For his most famous creation, "concurrent majority", he developed an idealized concept that minority could veto a numerical majority decision despite popular support due to minority interests. This concept is practiced in Parliamentary governments today as well, when a minority faction can gather enough influence among other interests to veto a majority decision or act.

No, under the British parliamentary system it's all about votes - whoever gets the most wins :lol: Before the vote sometimes the government will give a "free vote" if the issue is "cross party", but where the parties want to win then they whip their members - done by the party Chief Whips who use a variety of implements to "encourage" revolting members which way to vote, delivering various levels of pain according to how revolting the members are :P - but once they've voted the winner gets the prize.

The nine European Monarchs were gathered at Windsor Castle on May 20, 1910 for the funeral of King Edward VII of the UK.

gallery_2598_968_66835.jpg

Standing, from left to right: King Haakon VII of Norway, King Ferdinand of Bulgaria, King Manuel of Portugal, Kaiser Wilhelm II of the German Empire, King George I of The Hellenes (Greece) and King Albert I of the Belgians (Belgium). Seated, from left to right: King Alfonso XIII of Spain, King-Emperor George V of Great Britain and King Frederick VIII of Denmark.

The picture is historically significant because it is the last such gathering that ever occurred.  By 1918, many of the crown heads had lost their kingdoms as a result of the Great War (World War I).  By 1945 and the end of World War II, the few remaining monarchs found themselves in purely ceremonial offices.  All of the kings pictured were related to King Edward VII by blood or by marriage or by both.

Since pep's revived Mike's earlier post, I can point out that this is not in fact the last such gathering that ever occurred - here's a similar group pic from last year :P

The-Queen-with-her-royal--001.jpg

Portugal, Spain and Germany are missing but this lot includes: Netherlands; Denmark; Greece; Romania; Bulgaria; Sweden; Litchenstein; Monaco; Luxembourg; Belgium; Norway; Yugoslavia. Btw, the fact that some of these have been deposed doesn't bother Her Maj - once a queen always a queen ... :P

Is it weird and/or racist that I thought he was Russian?

Guy's Czech, though.... and shares a name with a keyboard layout. 'Fraid I can't quite make these hints funny. :(

Forgive me, for I failed you. Q_Q