Do newbies not read Dom Luka?

PrivateTim

Who or what is a Dom Luka?

Ryan, read some of the earlier posts in this thread, especially https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/36515-do-newbies-not-read-dom-luka/?p=404252 and https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/36515-do-newbies-not-read-dom-luka/?p=404254

He is an author with a large following.

Edited by MikeL
  • Like 1

Who or what is a Dom Luka?

Domluka

Dom-lue-kah

Proper Noun

1. A famous author who has written a quality body of online fiction full of LGBT characters Fishwings has fallen in love with but is unfortunately on a long hiatus.

Sentence

Dude 1: "Hey have you read any of Domluka's stories?"

Dude 2: "Yes and now I've turned gay."

• Like 4

You will also come across the term Domaholics.

Like the name suggests, a Domaholic is an individual who has become dependent on DomLuka's stories. Without the regular dose of Dom's stories, withdrawal symptoms such as insanity (for example, "where is Dom?" outbursts :,( ) and hallucinations (spotting Dom's name even when he is not here  :unsure2: ) can be felt. Domaholics are of all gender and orientation but they can all be found lurking on Dom's stories page, looking for their daily fix or on his forum/blog, trying to decipher his location. :P

Guys, it's time we found a Domaholic Anonymous. :(

Edited by Ieshwar
  • Like 1

K - so after this thread, I decided to re-read a "little" bit of The Lo(n)g Way.  Just up to the end of Chapter 10 - ya know...  

So - since I'm now on Chapter 22, um - I figure I should just finish it (again).

:thumbup:

• Like 1

I read his work when I was new, but I didn't comment on forums/threads back then because it just didn't seem like it would achieve anything since he's been gone so long! Also, when I'm new and there's already been a lot of discussion, sometimes I feel like everything's already been said?

Also, anyone know why he's on hiatus? 

I read his work when I was new, but I didn't comment on forums/threads back then because it just didn't seem like it would achieve anything since he's been gone so long! Also, when I'm new and there's already been a lot of discussion, sometimes I feel like everything's already been said?

Also, anyone know why he's on hiatus? 

I know what you mean. Sometimes I leave reviews just because, but most of the time I prefer an acknowledgement of my adoration hehe. And we don't know for sure but we've all pretty much come to the conclusion that he's just busy with life.

Domluka will come back eventually though, he always does! :3

There are sooo many stories for any taste on GA, that It's easier for newbies (or anyone that doesn't know where to start) to simply read from any titles in the different "New Story Updates" lists. Then if they catch a story they like, start reading other stories from the same author.

As such, the fact that Dom, or when other Hosted, Promising  :whistle: stop writing/posting for a while, less people will find/read their stories and even less will comment on them.

I like the author forums better than the reviews.  I wonder what authors prefer.

Personally, I say that forums have their place because it gives the interaction with the author as well as discussion with other readers. That is part of what, imo, make this site special and what first prompted me to actually register to the site.

I would be very curious to know, from the amount of people reading a story what % of them will actually make any form of comments to start with...

In all cases, even more so now with GA.Stories, there are less and less story discussion with the ease of the review, likes and so on. Things evolves we just need to adapt ourselves as well.

One of the first posts I ever made concerned some less than friendly comments about Dom having taken a writing break. I said back then what true Domaholics are stating now. Sometimes life gets in the way, sometimes our creative writing talents hit a wall, or God forbid, something worse has happened. But until we get evidence to the contrary, I believe Dom is alive and well and has a legitimate reason for his silence. And even if the reason is legitimate only in his mind, it is, after all HIS mind to interpret as he chooses. Dom is the reason I first came to GA, his stories are still worth reading and rereading, and I hope newbies take the time to seek out his talents. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that he's keeping up to date with things here, and is chuckling to himself about all the fuss we Domaholics accord him. But it's all worth it, and if he ever decides to come out into the light again, we're here waiting, with open arms and hearts. Hope he's well and happy!

• Like 2

FrenchCanadian - I agree that lists of what new chapters have been released helps direct me to stories that "Oh - that sounds like something fun to give a try".  But there are also other times when I have a good stretch of time, and I want a complete story that I can just curl up, warm tea in hand and just start churning through.  Even while re-reading first Lo(n)g Way and now Fishbowl, I've also gone off and read the latest chapters in the various in progress stories that I'm following.

• Like 1

• Site Administrator

Site traffic patterns have long indicated that people that use the forums are a minority. (about 35%)  Most people that visit, just read the stories.

• Like 1

Dom's stories are the first I read. He opened me to the whole world of gay stories. He inspired me to look for more and I have never looked back. He is still the standard that I judge all other authors that I have discovered.

I wish that he finds it in himself to continue for I know that he has more great stories in him to give to us, his loyal following. There are many newbies just waiting for his next instalments and stories. 

I know it has been a couple of years since Dom last updated a story, but by my reckoning there have to have been 3,500-5,000 new people join GA and there have to be that many or more lurkers who just read and haven't joined, but there is never any activity in the Domaholics forum. I'd think that someone might read his stories and then go to the forums to give their thoughts on Quinn, Rory, Nelson, Owen and all the other great characters from Dom's imagination because they are just fun characters to talk about.

So do newbies read, but not post in the forums because they think it is dead or have they overlooked Dom?

• Like 1

How about oldies, do they read Dom Luka...

I rarely read anything online or offline anymore so yeah...

that includes Any of Dom Luka's Stories....

Actually been wanting to respond to this thread for a while.

• 4 months later...

The first story I read on this site was Desert Droppings. I picked it semi randomly as I wanted to read a complete story and not get stuck in a serial; I am stupidly loyal to a story, but I also lack patience. After finishing I immediately re-read it and went on to read the rest of Domluka's completed works and then in an almost junky like frenzy I read the less than completed works. When I was done I re-read the entire body of work.

I "lurked" around the site for awhile hoping to hear more from Domluka but avoided the forums with the rationale that stalking a story was acceptable but snooping on the thoughts of actual members was too invasive. I was afraid to read anything else because what if it didn't live up to the awesomeness that was/is Domluka's body of work? I eventually found a few other stories to stalk and finally decided to join this lovely community (I should mention I also fear commitments;)).

I owe Domluka major gratitude as if it weren't for his work I would have missed out on a great community and even greater stories.

Thank you Domluka wherever you are.

Edited by Miles Long
  • Like 1

I suppose, after 2 years here, I better go read some. :o......

I joined the site after following Anyta Sundays St..st...st...stuffed. I will admit to being told constantly to read his work but always got drawn into reading something else. It will happen one day.... :)

Edited by Kiltie69

I am drawn here not only by DomLuka, but I kinda understand the sentiment.

I will always be forever grateful to those authors or those stories that have led me here to this wonderful community of GA.

Thank you dkstories, Comicality and of course, DomLuka :)

Edited by AnimalMorph

I was actually led here by another of our hosted authors who disappeared Ghostryder15.

I suppose, after 2 years here, I better go read some. :o.....

I still haven't red anything of Dom's yet either **ducks from the heavy objects thrown by the outraged Domaholics**