How to avoid a badly written story.

This is a really great thread. Bless the mod for making it a sticky!

I plan to come back and read and re-read it, because I felt 'guilty as charged" on some points as I was ticking down the "Thou Shalt Not" lists. Maybe that's why I have a file folder of rejection slips from publishers. Or did I recycle that on an environmental kick?

Criticism I think is a wonderful thing. I love it when somebody hates a story, but takes the time to explain why. It may not be possible to fix the story right away or ever, but at least the writer gains valuable objectivity by understanding another's point of view. Not many writers want to hear that their baby is ugly.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I found some interesting software I thought might be useful to authors and editors.  I haven't used it so I can't say anything about it's value.  Still, I would imagine that it's value depends on how you use it.  Here are the links, and if your adventurous you can find related software on the same site.

http://download.cnet.com/SmartEdit-Lite/3000-2351_4-75823904.html

http://download.cnet.com/Character-Name-Generator/3000-2125_4-75452749.html

Even if they turn out to be less than amazing, I think they'll have at least some value to someone.  :)

how to make me leave very quickly: 

any story describing the main character's eyes colour, age, height, hair etc all at once and within the first three paragraphs. At that stage, I barely need to know their name.

• Like 1

how to make me leave very quickly: 

any story describing the main character's eyes colour, age, height, hair etc all at once and within the first three paragraphs. At that stage, I barely need to know their name.

ah... the personals ad exposition. 

• Like 1

The easiest way to avoid a badly written online story is to check the following.

Past when it should be passed. Past=history. Passed=movement.

Back when used too often. I turned back. I looked back. I went back.

Look when all the characters look on every line.

Sigh when all characters are sighing right off the page.

Then when used too often.

With where many sentences and paragraphs begin with with.

There was where sentences begin with there was, there were, there are. Telling vs showing.

Could of, would of, instead of could have, would have.

Using anything else instead of he said, she said. For example, he reported, he told him, he remarked. He said has been used forever and is not seen as repetitive by the human brain.

No contractions. I am instead of I'm.

Your instead of you're or you are.

Scene leaps, where the scene or conversation appears unfinished.

Head jumping and POV where several POV's are used by novice or amateur writers and the technique is wrong.

Characters describing themselves in front of a mirror.

Using back story to begin the first chapter.

I was sat, instead of I was sitting.

These are just some of the ways I identify a badly written story. Nothing prevents an author from writing badly, and there is no rule that states an author may not right badly. But it's the author's responsibility, especially if he/she is a novice author, to find an editor.

I'd love to know what you look for when reading a story. What makes you close the book or exit the story online?

I must admit, I made tons of these mistakes when I first started writing. I have been blessed with editors that not only sorted out my chapters but also gave me tools that I use to this day.

(credit to Lisa, Rustle and Faxity there)

Excellent Post LJH, thanks

EDIT: And something worth mentioning... I use a software program called Ginger to help me, Its the best thing to come along since the Microwave lmao!

Edited by WestcliffWriter
  • 1 year later...

I will be the spoilsport and say rules are there to guide, only. Writers are neither good nor bad because they are expressive, likewise they do not deserve praise simply for trying to further a mid-twenty-century aesthetic of minimalism, now 60 years past its sell-by date.

Anyone hazard a guess who wrote this 'badly written' sentence? (No fair googling.…)

He sighed, "little pity for it, for who sees it?"[1]

--------------------------------------------------------

[1] 'H' is amended from 'h,' and the ending is shortened slightly.

• Like 2

I will be the spoilsport and say rules are there to guide, only. Writers are neither good nor bad because they are expressive, likewise they do not deserve praise simply for trying to further a mid-twenty-century aesthetic of minimalism, now 60 years past its sell-by date.

Anyone hazard a guess who wrote this 'badly written' sentence? (No fair googling.…)

He sighed, "little pity for it, for who sees it?"[1]

--------------------------------------------------------

[1] 'H' is amended from 'h,' and the ending is shortened slightly.

Don't know the author of the sentence. ..but why try to be anyone but yourself? Steinbeck was Steinbeck, Capote was Capote, we should all write with our own voice. And rules! There are no hard and fast rules, if there were there would be one book on grammar! So I agree AC, rules are there to guide us and so are our heart and souls.

• Like 5