JAR, I have always had a soft spot for 'were' stories :) When I first came here, I devoured Timber Pack Chronicles, Born Wolf, and more besides, but oddly enough I never read the Meta Series. :) Well today, after reading Puppilull's review of MetaOrigins and looking further back to read Tim's review of Meta, I now want to read this series! :D I am so excited to start it!  :read:  :read:  :read:  

Welcome to the Metaverse Drew!  Buckle up....it will take you on quite a ride ;)

JAR, I have always had a soft spot for 'were' stories :) When I first came here, I devoured Timber Pack Chronicles, Born Wolf, and more besides, but oddly enough I never read the Meta Series. :) Well today, after reading Puppilull's review of MetaOrigins and looking further back to read Tim's review of Meta, I now want to read this series! :D I am so excited to start it!  :read:  :read:  :read:  

Welcome to the Metaverse Drew!  Buckle up....it will take you on quite a ride ;)

Ahh, that it will Drew. Welcome!! :*) 

I've been thinking about why none of the vampires have managed to kill Colt...and about the meaning of MaryAnn's cryptic comments about Colt choosing incorrectly.  No one knows what this prophecy really says, right?  What if there is a duality to the prophecy?  Maybe Colt, being part vampire, could be of some important use to the vampire cause if he chose them or if he was made to help them somehow?  The prophecy could be that Colt will influence a win whatever side he chooses?   I just can't understand why the vampires would want to leave him alive otherwise.  The Queens would know the prophecy and that could be why they are trying to capture him alive.  The vampire Queens just don't seem like the type to leave someone alive who is a risk to them without some sort of end game...a reward from their Lord.   Maybe when he was 13 they tried to recruit him?  Maybe that ended badly?

Just some random, post vacation musings.  I could be completely off base...

That recruiting idea has occurred to me too. That candle Colt has could come from that encounter. Were they trying to influence him to join the queens and the lord, light his candle in their circle? I don't think Colt understood at the time or he's repressed his memory due to other more psinful events that day...

I think not even the queens know the full prophecy or the extent to Colt's powers. It's only MaryAnn who is intent on bringong him in alive as far as we know. She was going to try and convince the others, without giving away too much information. To me it seems like whoever he sides with will have the upper hand in the battle and the resulting outcome.

I don't think we know all about Colt's heritage yet.

As I rambled in my review, I think the battle ahead is for more than just Colt and the pack. It's for the world.

• Like 1

That recruiting idea has occurred to me too. That candle Colt has could come from that encounter. Were they trying to influence him to join the queens and the lord, light his candle in their circle? I don't think Colt understood at the time or he's repressed his memory due to other more psinful events that day...

I think not even the queens know the full prophecy or the extent to Colt's powers. It's only MaryAnn who is intent on bringong him in alive as far as we know. She was going to try and convince the others, without giving away too much information. To me it seems like whoever he sides with will have the upper hand in the battle and the resulting outcome.

As I rambled in my review, I think the battle ahead is for more than just Colt and the pack. It's for the world.

I agree that no one seems to know the full prophecy but MaryAnn would keep Colt alive for a reason. A good reason would be that Colt would be useful to them somehow.

Here's a question: what happened to MaryAnn's son? Is it at all possible that he has something to do with this? He killed himself too so why wouldn't he have come back? Could he be the vampire that fell in love with Betsy's mother? Maybe I woke up too early today and I'm overthinking?

• Like 2

If MaryAnn married young like a good southern belle of that era she could have been married by 15 or 16 and had him when she was 16 or 17. If he was 17 when they died he could potentially look a little older now and  would have put MaryAnn at a young looking 34 when they died (and reliant on a heavy use of face cream to stay young looking)...it could work. Maybe he met Betsy's mother when she was around 17 to 20?  

Again...its just conjecture and I could be way off base with this.  JAR could be giggling madly in his corner right now :lol:

More like virgin blood to keep her young...

When I read Wind I got the feeling he was younger than 17. More like 10-12. But it's hard to tell.

I did think MaryAnn wad Colt's mother for a while in the beginning, so the feeling of them being connected isn't just in your mind.

• Like 2

Why not just add my ramblings to the mix...

The prophecy said that in the future Colt would do something which would cost his enemies their lives and future. So, Colt is definitely a pawn between the Wolves and Vampires. 

As a Meta for the wolves, they get to see their part of the prophecy(?) fulfilled in the the form of the White Wolf who brings peace and stability to the pack showing them their true destiny. 

The shaman said that Colt had strong spirits, and a powerful mind. If fully unleashed, Colt could be a weapon for the vampires in their quest for world domination.

So, at 13 I'm thinking it was probably a natural instinct for Colt to embrace his vampire side, thereby effectively depriving the pack of a Meta, and preserving the future of the vampires. 

Questions, was this wrong choice Colt made, a conscious one? Is the wolf battle a way to destroy the wolves in the hopes of killing the White Wolf and keep Colt alive for their use in the process? Vampires win...Did someone show up on his birthday with a potion, so he doesn't for lack of a better word, commit to the Vampires. (I'm only slightly kidding about the potion) 

That would leave someone who wants the the vampires to stay hidden. Wolves win.... 

I also thought there's a connection between Colt and MaryAnn... I thought too the heavy use of face cream was to mask the scent, but to keep young works too.. MaryAnn's son that died with her, you know he's going to pop up and we're all going to face palm... His father was successful in that he owned plantations and such, so he could be a chip off the old block and be very business minded and good at it.. 

• Like 1

I've been thinking about why none of the vampires have managed to kill Colt...and about the meaning of MaryAnn's cryptic comments about Colt choosing incorrectly.  No one knows what this prophecy really says, right?  What if there is a duality to the prophecy?  Maybe Colt, being part vampire, could be of some important use to the vampire cause if he chose them or if he was made to help them somehow?  The prophecy could be that Colt will influence a win whatever side he chooses?   I just can't understand why the vampires would want to leave him alive otherwise.  The Queens would know the prophecy and that could be why they are trying to capture him alive.  The vampire Queens just don't seem like the type to leave someone alive who is a risk to them without some sort of end game...a reward from their Lord.   Maybe when he was 13 they tried to recruit him?  Maybe that ended badly?

Just some random, post vacation musings.  I could be completely off base...

Intriguing thought ... but do we think all the queens are aligned in their approach? ;-)

Drew,

Before you become a Metaliever, be warned about the side effects:

1) Boredom. Some people just don't get over the first chapter where Colt shows his brain power on the MBA cases ... (not realizing they're are abstractions of the future dilemmata he has to deal with)

2) Anxiety attacks. When the next chapter is not promptly published on Saturday

3) Rage attacks. When there are too many cliff hangers, inconsistent and contradictory hints and unexpected twists

4) OCD attacks. To create an excel sheet to get timeline and characters 'sorted'

5) Political correctness aversion. When Colt goes off on weak men, women and people in general

6) Irresistible desire to join the USMC

7) Paranoia. Realizing that nothing is like it seems. And the opposite neither ...

Otherwise: Enjoy, review and rant, rant and rant on the MetaForum

JAR

PS Don't even think of calling me 'uncle.' there IS a character called Drew in Meta and I might do terrible things to him otherwise. 

Edited by JohnAR
  • Like 2

The prize is the world. I like that!

Indeed we don't know Colt's heritage: Who is his father? And therefore what powers does he have? Or do people think he has ...

Oh the candle: Book 5 is going to tell about it. Btw, Colt's memory is perfect ... sometimes too perfect ... or who else would have spotted the biggest clue in all the prompts none of you had spotted yet? <insane laughter>

I agree that no one seems to know the full prophecy but MaryAnn would keep Colt alive for a reason. A good reason would be that Colt would be useful to them somehow.

Here's a question: what happened to MaryAnn's son? Is it at all possible that he has something to do with this? He killed himself too so why wouldn't he have come back? Could he be the vampire that fell in love with Betsy's mother? Maybe I woke up too early today and I'm overthinking?

In only can say: MaryAnn's son will come back with a vengeance ... but he is not Betsy's father  ... (No: "Colt, I'm your grandfather!" with black mask scene).

Oh, Colt related to MaryAnn! But wouldn't her son remain the age he was at his death? He wasn't that old?

In the spirit of transparency: The 2nd (static) age of a vampire is not necessarily the age of suicide. There is some (different length) of aging during the 'cleansing' period.

More like virgin blood to keep her young...

When I read Wind I got the feeling he was younger than 17. More like 10-12. But it's hard to tell.

I did think MaryAnn wad Colt's mother for a while in the beginning, so the feeling of them being connected isn't just in your mind.

MaryAnn being Colt's mother. Now that's a Metathought ... but Kungsgatan says differently, doesn't it?  :gikkle:

• Like 1

Why not just add my ramblings to the mix...

The prophecy said that in the future Colt would do something which would cost his enemies their lives and future. So, Colt is definitely a pawn between the Wolves and Vampires. 

As a Meta for the wolves, they get to see their part of the prophecy(?) fulfilled in the the form of the White Wolf who brings peace and stability to the pack showing them their true destiny. 

The shaman said that Colt had strong spirits, and a powerful mind. If fully unleashed, Colt could be a weapon for the vampires in their quest for world domination.

So, at 13 I'm thinking it was probably a natural instinct for Colt to embrace his vampire side, thereby effectively depriving the pack of a Meta, and preserving the future of the vampires. 

Questions, was this wrong choice Colt made, a conscious one? Is the wolf battle a way to destroy the wolves in the hopes of killing the White Wolf and keep Colt alive for their use in the process? Vampires win...Did someone show up on his birthday with a potion, so he doesn't for lack of a better word, commit to the Vampires. (I'm only slightly kidding about the potion) 

That would leave someone who wants the the vampires to stay hidden. Wolves win.... 

I also thought there's a connection between Colt and MaryAnn... I thought too the heavy use of face cream was to mask the scent, but to keep young works too.. MaryAnn's son that died with her, you know he's going to pop up and we're all going to face palm... His father was successful in that he owned plantations and such, so he could be a chip off the old block and be very business minded and good at it.. 

Good news: Book 5 should answer most of those questions. Bad news ... it will take another 20 weeks until it is fully published.

JAR

PS No potion ... but you guys are getting close (time for re-write ... just kidding)

Drew,

1) Boredom. Some people just don't get over the first chapter where Colt shows his brain power in the MBA cases ... (not realizing there are abstractions of the future dilemmata he has to deal with.

2) Anxiety attacks. When the next chapter is not promptly published on Saturday.

3) Rage attacks. When there are too many cliff hangers, inconsistent and contradictory hints and unexpected twists

4) OCD attacks. To create an excel sheet to get timeline and characters 'sorted.'

5) Political correctness aversion. When Colt goes off on weak men, women and people in general

7) Paranoia. Realizing that nothing is like it seems. And the opposite neither ...

JAR

PS Don't even think of calling me 'uncle.' there IS a character called Drew in Meta and I might do terrible things to him otherwise.

Don't take this the wrong way, but when you use words like dilemmata I sort of want to kiss you...

Love the list! (No surprise there...)

Apologies for the late replies, but a trip across the American continent and the Atlantic and the unfortunate jet lag caused by thereof slightly inconvenienced me.

As a little reward: Here's my idea of Chris, the guy who prioritized beer pong over Colt's manhood:

JAR

Chris

• Like 1

Drew,

1) Boredom. Some people just don't get over the first chapter where Colt shows his brain power on the MBA cases ... (not realizing they're are abstractions of the future dilemmata he has to deal with)

2) Anxiety attacks. When the next chapter is not promptly published on Saturday

4) OCD attacks. To create an excel sheet to get timeline and characters 'sorted'

JAR

1. Ooh! That sounds interesting :D

2. I am a patient man ;)

3. I think I can manage :yes:

4. I'll be annotating the hell out of it :evil:

5. I am nowhere near being a PC Police :lol:

6. That's not a bad idea :whistle:

7. Hm... :unsure2:

PS: Damn! I tend to add people to my GA Family, fine :rolleyes: if you want, just choose a family title :)

• Like 1

2. I am a patient man ;)

PS: Damn! I tend to add people to my GA Family, fine :rolleyes: if you want, just choose a family title :)

PS2: the main character, Colt, was 'raised' in Texas, by-the-way ...

Drew,

Sjovt nok - I did think about warning Drew too, since I worried about him being too young and innocent for Meta. But you did a much better job than I could have done. :rofl:

• Like 1

Some people just don't get over the first chapter where Colt shows his brain power on the MBA cases ... (not realizing they're are abstractions of the future dilemmata he has to deal with)

:blink: That was the part I liked best...

Wonder what that says about me? :unsure:

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

2. I am a patient man ;)

"That's not a bad idea?" Naughty (non-yet) readers. No family title: 'John (AR)' will do.

Intriguing thought ... but do we think all the queens are aligned in their approach? ;-)

I doubt that most of the vampires believe in the prophecy even if they do know about it. I think it's like any culture...everyone tends to dismiss their legends as time passes. Who would believe that someone like Colt (who is a self professed skinny nerd) would be the catalyst to be the destruction or the salvation of vampires?

Edited by LitLover

I doubt that most of the vampires believe in the prophecy even if they do know about it. I think it's like any culture...everyone tends to dismiss their legends as time passes. Who would believe that someone like Colt (who is a self professed skinny nerd) would be the catalyst to be the destruction or the salvation of vampires?

Yet still the seem to work together ... I guess we will learn more about that in the next books ...

Yet still the seem to work together ... I guess we will learn more about that in the next books ...

Anyone can be made to work together if they believe there is something in it for them. The question is: what do the Queens "believe" is the end reward here?