Fat Welfare Bum Wants Taxpayers to Pay For $15k Wedding

• Site Administrator

It's only absurd if she gets the money. Asking for ridiculous things isn't absurd -- getting them is what makes it absurd :P

Interestingly, I saw no mention of a partner for her to marry. Maybe that's the next demand she'll make?

"It's a basic human right to marry the person I want. I want him", she said, pointing at Daniel Radcliffe, "so he has to marry me. It's my right!"

Daniel Radcliffe's response was, "Don't I get to marry who I want?"

"No! I'm the one with the rights here!"

Some people are selfish. Enough said.

• Like 2

I am still shaking my head that some bureaucratic  bubble head approved public funds saying she couldn't work because she is fat. I'm overweight - why don't I get a check from the government?  Wait - cause I WORK.

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

People like her make me furious.  :pissed: I'm overweight too, and would never dream of not working.  I've worked hard my entire life for everything I have and did without when I had to.  The ever-increasing sense of entitlement people have just makes me sick. 

• Like 1

I have seen people that are so overweight, they pant just from the exertion of walking. Some can't. If they ate their way into that condition (it's not always a gland condition!) then I have no sympathy for them

I think what stuns me here is her talk or 'rights' and 'deserving' and what she 'expects'. She's living off a system she never paid into, and she thinks she should get more?

Also the logic of 'give me what I want and then I'll be motivated to xyz' is something my ten year old tries. I don't let him get away with it, I hope the Brits don't, either!

• Like 1

I think a traditional 'Bride of Frankenstein' ceremony is in order.  That's bags over the head in front of a Justice of the Peace.  That should lower the cost a bit and she would still be a bride, fulfilling her basic human right.  

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I always wonder where these 'basic human rights' are written down? I wasn't aware that by Constitution or by Royal decree or even by the UN that getting married was a basic human right. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems that everyone with a special interest claim their interest is covered by basic human rights.

/rant

I have a brilliant idea!

She claims being a bride would be the world to her and she'd be motivated to lose weight because all eyes would be on her. Hmm... And she can't get a job because she is "too fat to work." Maybe... just maybe... She should start losing weight now. hah. I know break through coming on here! THEN! She can find a job and HEY!! Earn 15,000 herself! Then she'll be the gushing bride with the carriage ride and the party in a castle and a honeymoon to Mexico.

God! Sometimes my brilliance just astounds even me. Where do I come up with such ideas? Its almost like... This is what the entire fucking world does!!!

(On side note... I'm not sure how the English welfare works but shouldn't they drastically reduce the amount of money she is allotted for food? Obviously they are providing her with too much and the excess can go towards a trainer or health coach. Isn't the goal of welfare to provide assistance in order to get off of welfare?)

Edited by Curti
  • Like 1

(On side note... I'm not sure how the English welfare works but shouldn't they drastically reduce the amount of money she is allotted for food? Obviously they are providing her with too much and the excess can go towards a trainer or health coach. Isn't the goal of welfare to provide assistance in order to get off of welfare?)

Theoretically yes, but in practice its pretty much used as a free ride off society by those too lazy to contribute. I think that rule holds true not just in the USA, but other countries as well. 

• Site Administrator

If the UK is anything like Australia, welfare payments are not tied to particular expenditure. The person gets essentially a regular paycheck that should be enough to live on, but with minimal available for luxuries. One of the problems is that it's not cost-productive to tailor the welfare for individual situations, so the person who has to fully support themselves receives essentially the same as someone who receives support from other family members. This allows some people to abuse the system.

I think that's a fact of life: there are always people who will scam/manipulate things to gain an advantage. And, of course, it makes great news headlines to point out those people, while the multitudes for which welfare is actually helping them are not considered newsworthy.

I remember being told of a charity food store for the disadvantaged. The people who work there often have to help those who attend by placing items in their shopping baskets for them because they're too embarrassed/proud to take the charity, even though they need it. They're the sort of people that welfare helps. The person in the original story is the sort who would wander in and take everything they can. Happily, they appear to be a minority.

• Like 2

Different places have different rules, in Massachusetts, weekly reports have to be submitted to claim unemployment benefits, either you are looking for work or are in the process of retraining for new work. This is limited to about 26-30 weeks, then you must go through social security administration to claim disability, which can last until you are either inelligible.

I would love a dream wedding in a castle, preferable magical, a giant dragon for my limosine, and a honeymoon to Skala (I wouldn't mind travelling to Lynn Flewelling world), but alas, it can only happen in my imagination.

Money cannot buy happiness, only you can find it for yourself. Despite how ridiculous this woman's demands are, I hope she eventually finds happiness behind all the pageantry and material aesthetics that she clings to.

sure, I'll pay for her to get married - in a rented dress, at the registry office for the standard £80 fee. Sorted. The music is free and the flowers come from the garden.

Only an idiot (regardless of weight, welfare status or personal wealth) would spend more money on a wedding than it costs to buy a brand new top-line family saloon car. It's a day (the best day *wistful sigh*), but it's not the rest of your life.

Unfortunately with a lot of public assistance programs there is absolutely no incentive to get off of the rolls. Yes, unemployment insurance is limited, but welfare, food stamps, and many other programs are not. In fact some are administered in such a way as to discourage you from trying to better yourself. If you do find a part time job your food stamps can and often does get reduced by the amount you make. A young lady I know on permanent disability due to birth defects has her state check docked by percentages. Make so much, lose this percent. When at the lower end of a tier her percentage of reduction outstrips the amount she made, so she ends up living on less money. With the physical exhaustion her disability causes on top and why should she go out and work when to stay home and comfortable pays her more?

The same applies to things like drug rehab programs. The methadone programs in our state are well administered and supervised. It has been very successful in getting people off of heroin. But there is no requirement to get off of the methadone. Several years ago I needed to research the program to get a union member into treatment. At the time approximately half of the methadone patients had been on the program for 5 years or more, and a goodly portion of those had found a way to abuse the methadone, in essence getting social services to get them  high.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

One of the challenges with a welfare system is how to wean people off it. A remember a report back in the 90s here in Australia that stated that the effective tax rate for some people on welfare was over 90%. That is, as they earned more, their welfare payments were reduced to reflect their increased income (which is reasonable). The problem was that the reduction in welfare was close to being equal to the amount their after-tax income increased, so the person was working for more, but not seeing much out of it. That was acknowledged as a problem and disincentive to improve, and there was a lot of work done to reduce that issue.

I believe welfare is needed. There will always be those who take advantage of the situation, but there are many more who need the assistance. Working out the best way to give that assistance without it becoming a permanent crutch is the problem.