It’s going to take more than just a few months for Alek to get rid of the baggage he’s carrying. The only way Alek’s ‘girlfriend’ could ever be excused is if they are only getting married so she can get a green card and she knows the relationship is merely financial. And I hope I haven’t just guessed at Alek’s plan because I still like Nathan a whole lot more than Alek.

I was thinking the same thing recently. But, should he be faulted for sticking it out with Alek for as long as he did? He either felt that the love he had for Alek was important enough to 'take what he could get', or he may have hoped Alek would come around and open the closet door. In the end, his head won out over his heart because he realized the way they were living wasn't living at all. 

Alek shoulders most most of the blame, though because he expected his boyfriend to keep their relationship a secret- as in, they had to be discreet around town lest they be spotted and found out by his father. 

We all make our own decisions, some good and some bad... I don't put blame on anyone... they are two grown men who entered a closeted relationship... I don't see it as a matter of who's more to blame... the love is there, but Liam couldn't live with the situation anymore... I would never blame him for that... Alex is an idiot, but he's like a multitude of other gay men working their way through their own personal landmines... not going to blame him either....

• Like 5

We all make our own decisions, some good and some bad... I don't put blame on anyone... they are two grown men who entered a closeted relationship... I don't see it as a matter of who's more to blame... the love is there, but Liam couldn't live with the situation anymore... I would never blame him for that... Alex is an idiot, but he's like a multitude of other gay men working their way through their own personal landmines... not going to blame him either....

You were just faster to type this in. I was just trying to write the same. LOL I think, if someone wants, there is almost always a way to forgive things, which happen out of fear or the inability to find the right way at first. It depends how strong both want it. Life is not a one-way street. And the head is round, so that thought can turn and take another direction. ;)

Has there been any indication Alek's girlfriend is a foreigner? I thought she was Canadian, but of course that makes it less likely she knows about being his beard. Unless she is a good friend helping Alek hide the truth from his family, because his dad became suspicious.

I don’t recall any indication of the nationality of Alek’s girlfriend. I was positing the single excuse that I, with my limited imagination as a non-writer, would find acceptable. There are many stories of Russians who pay large sums to Americans (and I presume, Canadians) to marry them so they can get a green card (and presumably the Canadian equivalent).

If the sum is large enough, it might make it possible for Alek to tell his father he no longer needs his assistance and can stand on his own two feet. And can Come Out to his family without fear of financial retribution.

I don’t recall any indication of the nationality of Alek’s girlfriend. I was positing the single excuse that I, with my limited imagination as a non-writer, would find acceptable. There are many stories of Russians who pay large sums to Americans (and I presume, Canadians) to marry them so they can get a green card (and presumably the Canadian equivalent).

If the sum is large enough, it might make it possible for Alek to tell his father he no longer needs his assistance and can stand on his own two feet. And can Come Out to his family without fear of financial retribution.

Hmm, that sounds like a good plan, except wouldn't he have to marry her in order for her to arrive? But she's clearly here already and being called girlfriend, not wife. Liam would have been even more devastated by Alek marrying, if he didn't know the truth.

• Like 2

Hmm, that sounds like a good plan, except wouldn't he have to marry her in order for her to arrive? But she's clearly here already and being called girlfriend, not wife. Liam would have been even more devastated by Alek marrying, if he didn't know the truth.

A fiancée can enter the US with a special visa.

Marriage would confer legal rights including immigration and, in the US, a green card (which allows you to legally be employed). Presumably a similar procedure is possible.

What you call a woman who you have no emotional connection with and are attempting to get financial compensation for a (not legal) legal procedure is not clear. You could imitate Trump and call her your fake-wife or so-called-wife, or you might call her a girlfriend – especially if no ceremony has taken place yet.

In the US, Immigration examines marriages that appear to be fake and the two spouses are questioned separately about intimate details in an attempt to prove the two are not intimate. The Wedding Banquet showed one example of a fake marriage, I believe The Green Card showed detail on the examination process.

Edited by Former Member

I believe The Green Card showed detail on the examination process.

I liked the Green Card, in particular because there wasn't an immediate happy ending. On the other hand, the way they tripped him up was not so believable.

Who the hell can remember what scent your SO wears? :huh: Not me...

But OK, it was his reaction to forgetting this detail, which gave him away. 

Oh, and I think this was where I first heard the term 'legal alien' - which was once translated in the Danish subtitles as rumvæsen meaning extraterrestial. :rofl: :rofl:

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 3

My grandparents were all legal aliens for many years because they were legally denied the opportunity to apply for naturalization, a right afforded to almost certainly all European immigrants at the time. It wasn’t until after WWII that the laws were changed.

My parents were US citizens due to the fact they were both born in California.

I liked the Green Card, in particular because there wasn't an immediate happy ending. On the other hand, the way they tripped him up was not so believable.

Who the hell can remember what scent your SO wears? :huh: Not me...

But OK, it was his reaction to forgetting this detail, which gave him away. 

Oh, and I think this was where I first heard the term 'legal alien' - which was once translated in the Danish subtitles as rumvæsen meaning extraterrestial. :rofl: :rofl:

If that interests you, you might want to research how Chinese immigrants were treated on Angel Island in San Francisco Bay pre-WWII. There were laws prohibiting Chinese immigration for many decades. The Chinese were scapegoated after they helped build the Central Pacific railroad through the Sierra Nevadas from Sacramento to meet the Union Pacific in Utah.

After the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake, many records were lost and clever and very desperate immigrants took advantage of that lack of documentation. Paper sons and other false relatives were created. The potential immigrants memorized tons of details about their supposed relative’s home in China. Immigration Agents would ask questions about the number of windows in a bedroom or the number of steps in a particular staircase. They might ask what color a neighbor’s door is or who ran a store down the street. If they decided you were lying, you were deported back to China. Potential immigrants might spend months or even a year in a detention center on an island in the middle of the Bay, close enough to see The City, but too far to swim.

• Site Moderator

spikey doesn’t think Closet-Boy sounds like a super-villain name.

How about Dr Closet? Closet-Master? Professor Closet? в гардероб? (Russian for The Closet)

I like them all, but the last one gets my vote, because it seems more sinister and mysterious. 

I returned Lit's chapter, so.... :o:ph34r: hehe :stupid:  :funny:

First a funky post in CoTT, now this? Should we be calling someone to check on you....???? :unsure:

• Like 4

spikey doesn’t think Closet-Boy sounds like a super-villain name.

How about Dr Closet? Closet-Master? Professor Closet? в гардероб? (Russian for The Closet)

FYI to anyone trying to pronounce the last one: (ve gard-ye-robe) ...at least, I think that's about right. :unsure:

I returned Lit's chapter, so.... :o:ph34r: hehe :stupid:  :funny:

Time to employ my bribery skills...

I'll give you a cookie if you expand on that hehe. :P

Edited by Drew Espinosa
  • Like 2