5 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

Hey @Dodger are you aware that your story is third on the list of Most Read Stories on GA ? Well done ! :2thumbs:

Aside from The Cockney Canuck, I’ve read parts of Cards on the Table, all of A to Z, and what’s been posted of Belovéd (on another site). I’ve read a chapter or two of most of the others (or their prequels) and not found them to my liking. I have an aversion to were-creatures even though I’ve read a few of that genre. There’s only one story on the first page that I plan to read that I haven’t sampled yet.
;–).

16 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I have an aversion to were-creatures even though I’ve read a few of that genre. 

You might want to try Morningstar, even if you don't like the were-genre. It's quite unique and extremely well written.

32 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Likes and comments perhaps provide a more accurate assessment of a story’s popularity, but ultimately, I will have to wait and see what, if any, reviews the story gets when it’s completed.

Well, the story is also third in most comments. ;)  I can't find out how to test for likes or followers, but I'm sure it'll be in top ten for both categories.

However, the real compliment to your writing and this story is how engaged your readers are in the characters and in how the story develops. I always enjoy reading the comments as well as your replies. And some of the discussions are as epic as the events in the chapters. I think you can be proud of your achievement. :hug: 

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
49 minutes ago, Dodger said:

…although I haven’t been able to work out why.

Maybe it’s your hat!
;–)

I think it’s because Robbie remains a fundamentally likable character no matter how monumentally he screws things up on occasion (Fran!). We readers love to give him (and his creator) advice that he promptly ignores (the Retired Social Worker™). We want him to be happy with our choice of his potential partners (Tom!), but it’s as if he doesn’t even know that we exist!
;–)

Edited by Former Member
  • 2 weeks later...

Today’s chapter brings a very welcome revelation about Tom’s sexuality. Both he and Robbie insisted that he was straight. But his behavior indicated otherwise. I mean he could still identify as straight if he wanted to, but his joyful participation indicates he’s definitely not a Kinsey Zero. Even if he’s only ‘Gay for Robbie,’ that means he’s not at the extreme end of the scale (just as Robbie’s ability to perform with Fran indicated that he’s not a Six).
;–)

I think Tom was trying to hint at this when he visited, but Robbie was dating Nathan then, and he wasn't prepared to acknowledge this. Also, it would have made him feel even sadder about being sent to Canada.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6.7.2019 at 21:15, Dodger said:

Ich würde lügen, wenn ich sagen würde, dass ich mir dessen nicht bewusst bin, und darauf bin ich definitiv stolz. Ich mache mir jedoch keine Illusionen. Es ist schön, so viele Ansichten zu haben, aber es bedeutet nicht wirklich viel. Es sind noch weitere Faktoren zu berücksichtigen. Die Geschichte läuft seit fast vier Jahren ziemlich regelmäßig und es muss helfen, 120 Kapitel zu haben.

Likes und Kommentare liefern vielleicht eine genauere Einschätzung der Popularität einer Geschichte, aber letztendlich muss ich abwarten, welche Bewertungen die Geschichte, wenn überhaupt, erhält, wenn sie abgeschlossen ist.

Ich weiß, dass es kaum ein Kunstwerk ist oder Neuland betritt. Es hat mehr als ein paar Handlungslöcher, eine schlechte Grammatik und stinkt nach jugendlicher Angst. Trotzdem ist es offensichtlich sehr beliebt, obwohl ich nicht herausfinden konnte, warum.

I'm not surprised your story is on three. It's good and right up there. 

• Love 1
  • 2 months later...

I still think Tom is Robbie’s best chance at a happy longterm future! They have a history that Robbie doesn’t share with any of his other past and potential partners. He understands what Robbie went through when his mother died. He understands all those odd Cockney slang expressions as well as all those uniquely Britishisms that Robbie still likes using. The few Canadian slang terms are usually easier to understand. Robbie has adopted some North American phrases, but those are much more widely disseminated around the world due to the power of US media companies.

Robbie hasn’t taken up that most Canadian of all sports (and inexplicably remains an Olympic sport even after baseball and softball were booted for being too American): Curling! Robbie hasn’t taken up that most Canadian habit of apologizing all the time. He remains unrepentantly and irrevocably English with only the very slightest Canadian accent!
;–)

Go Team Tom!

On 7/6/2019 at 9:15 PM, Dodger said:

I would be lying if I said I wasn’t aware of this and it’s something I’m definitely proud of. However, I’m under no illusions. While it’s nice to have so many views, it doesn’t really mean a great deal. There are other factors to consider. The story has been running fairly regularly for nearly four years, and it must help to have 120 chapters.

Likes and comments perhaps provide a more accurate assessment of a story’s popularity, but ultimately, I will have to wait and see what, if any, reviews the story gets when it’s completed.

I know it’s hardly a work of art or breaking new ground. It has more than a few plot holes, some bad grammar and reeks of teen angst. Having said all that, it’s obviously quite popular although I haven’t been able to work out why.

no it's not because 120 chapters or already 4 years there are stories that run over 20 years but don't come to yours. i tell you why it's one of the most read ; it's well written every chapter
the marketers are interesting and there are such in real life.
i would even lift them to place 1

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mikel22 said:

no it's not because 120 chapters or already 4 years there are stories that run over 20 years but don't come to yours. i tell you why it's one of the most read ; it's well written every chapter
the marketers are interesting and there are such in real life.
i would even lift them to place 1

(marketers) it should be called characters

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, mikel22 said:

no it's not because 120 chapters or already 4 years there are stories

You don’t think it’s because of @Dodger’s hat? I think it makes him look dashing and dapper! Possibly even regal…
;–)

prince-william-wearing-a-black-top-hat.j
Oops! That’s Willy Cambridge’s picture, not Dodger! White guys all look alike!
;–)

7 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

You don’t think it’s because of @Dodger’s hat? I think it makes him look dashing and dapper! Possibly even regal…
;–)

prince-william-wearing-a-black-top-hat.j
Oops! That’s Willy Cambridge’s picture, not Dodger! White guys all look alike!
;–)

no his hat is all the same to me i would like to look into his brain then i might already know how the next chapters
I'd be way ahead of everyone else.

• Haha 2
  • 5 months later...
On 10/13/2019 at 1:04 PM, mikel22 said:

no his hat is all the same to me i would like to look into his brain then i might already know how the next chapters
I'd be way ahead of everyone else.

Dodger is dictating what Willy Cambridge is creating? I thought it was the sexy redhead Harry who’s moving to Canada! No wonder ‘Gay or British?’ is such a difficult game to win!
;–)

• 8 months later...
On 12/5/2020 at 6:39 AM, Freerider said:

Ehm... you did not brexit from my favorite story, did you?

Seriously, I hope you are ok and will be inspired to gift us a new chapter soon.

Cheers!

On 12/11/2020 at 5:26 AM, wenmale64 said:

@Dodger has your muse taken a vacation or has life just run you ragged? Hope all is well. Just missing my Robbie fix and Don rant...  No worry. Hope you are staying out of the cold and snow!!!

Thanks, @Freerider and @wenmale64 :thankyou: I've been well but busy. I'm not sure where the time went, but I haven't had a lot of it lately. After spending much of the year at home due to the lockdown, I've been trying to catch up with work and make some money before the winter sets in, and slows everything down again. I don't mind the winter, even when the temperature drops to minus something ridiculous. I know how to keep warm.:P This town looks beautiful in the snow, but there's none at the moment, and we had an unusually warm November.:unsure:

Okay, enough of this nonsense. I'm sure you're not interested in the weather situation in Canada.:off: Robbie's the one you want to hear from not me, so I won't tease you anymore.

You'll be pleased to know our cheeky protagonist, his dysfunctional family, and collection of oddball friends have also been busy.

The good news is, you'll be able to read all about it in the latest installment of the Cockney Canuck, which will be posted tomorrow (Sunday Dec 13th) at midday eastern time.:2thumbs:

I hope you enjoy.:heart:

• Like 3

My apologies to anyone anxious for an update of the Cockney Canuck. I'm running a little late and still have to edit. Perhaps midday was a little optimistic of me. Watch this space.

• Like 5
  • 5 months later...

I've just spent the last four days reading this story and it has me hooked. So many good characters (some of whom you love to hate) and situations. Bit of a cliffhanger ending to the last chapter, but can't wait for the next one.

• Like 2
  • Love 2