• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, AC Benus said:

Hello, all! A little amuse-bouche: Kohl finally makes it to the Beauty Cult as hinted in "Slocked Affections."

----------------

Now that I could breathe again, I glanced around the room. Light jazz played and the milling crowd was definitely runway-worthy.

Skinny women wearing shift dresses mingled with linen-shirted guys. These bean-pole broads had a default standing position where lips pouted, hands rested on waists, and elbows thrust themselves forward. When they moved, it was either in catwalk heel-pounding, or a pair of mincing steps to place stilettos at uncomfortable angles. I don’t know, I guess ‘beauty’ meant looking hobbled and knock-kneed…? But at such moments, their glazed stares locked on something impossibly far-away, and apparently not so very interesting to them. 

The tall boys on the other hand – many with slickened blond tresses; others with wet-looking dark curls – stood around showing admiring blue sparkles in their eyes for one another. When they moved, it was with canted necks, hands stroking hair, and coy smiles peeking from beneath. Suddenly, they’d stop, toss heads up to strike catalogue poses. These were meant to impress, but reminded me more of turkeys strutting the barnyard, puffing up to woo anything from a milk pail to a passing truck.  

I'm looking forward to more. A certain lady on the other side of pond swears I will love.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, AC Benus said:

Hello, all! A little amuse-bouche: Kohl finally makes it to the Beauty Cult as hinted in "Slocked Affections."

----------------

Now that I could breathe again, I glanced around the room. Light jazz played and the milling crowd was definitely runway-worthy.

Skinny women wearing shift dresses mingled with linen-shirted guys. These bean-pole broads had a default standing position where lips pouted, hands rested on waists, and elbows thrust themselves forward. When they moved, it was either in catwalk heel-pounding, or a pair of mincing steps to place stilettos at uncomfortable angles. I don’t know, I guess ‘beauty’ meant looking hobbled and knock-kneed…? But at such moments, their glazed stares locked on something impossibly far-away, and apparently not so very interesting to them. 

The tall boys on the other hand – many with slickened blond tresses; others with wet-looking dark curls – stood around showing admiring blue sparkles in their eyes for one another. When they moved, it was with canted necks, hands stroking hair, and coy smiles peeking from beneath. Suddenly, they’d stop, toss heads up to strike catalogue poses. These were meant to impress, but reminded me more of turkeys strutting the barnyard, puffing up to woo anything from a milk pail to a passing truck.  

The images here are priceless! Love the description of “bean-pole broads.” And the reference to strutting Tom turkeys was inspired.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, AC Benus said:

Brilliant. Im hungry and waiting for more. 

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...
On April 25, 2017 at 4:18 PM, Daddydavek said:

Could be tough to pull off without it becoming totally slapstick, but we are talking about Trump.....

Plus, Trump is already his own caricature and joke, but AC is up to the task! :-)

Edit: The task at hand, a "send-up of Trump's America,” is not aimed only at one person.

Edited by knotme
added clarification
  • Like 2
15 minutes ago, knotme said:

Plus, Trump is already his own caricature and joke, but AC is up to the task! :-)

...but the So-Called is hardly even mentioned in the book... ;)

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2
On November 1, 2017 at 7:25 AM, AC Benus said:

These were meant to impress, but reminded me more of turkeys strutting the barnyard, puffing up to woo anything from a milk pail to a passing truck.

ROFL. This image recalls one my fondest childhood memories: a line of big fancy cars (with huge fins), driven by important men (women were fit only for housewifery) on their way to do important things. But they were stalled on this narrow road, because state-protected peacocks were puffing and preening before the shiny chrome front bumpers!  I guess turkeys do it too. :-) 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, knotme said:

ROFL. This image recalls one my fondest childhood memories: a line of big fancy cars (with huge fins), driven by important men (women were fit only for housewifery) on their way to do important things. But they were stalled on this narrow road, because state-protected peacocks were puffing and preening before the shiny chrome front bumpers!  I guess turkeys do it too. :-) 

Well, if you've got the goods in the looks department, flaunt it. Oh...your comment just reminded me how my lovely Airedale, Leporello, would slow down and admire himself lovingly in the shiny black doors of cars parked next to the sidewalk. That's a happy memory for me.. Thanks :) 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, AC Benus said:

Mojo is finished. Thanks to the help and support of my editing and beta-reading team, I'm going to start posting this satire at the beginning of the year. I hope you'll look forward to sinking your teeth it. Should be a fun ride. 

Kisses for all!!! 

WOOHOO!!!!!   Where is my calendar!!  Can't wait. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, AC Benus said:

Mojo is finished. Thanks to the help and support of my editing and beta-reading team, I'm going to start posting this satire at the beginning of the year. I hope you'll look forward to sinking your teeth it. Should be a fun ride. 

Kisses for all!!! 

Very welcome news. I look forward to it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

This story is wonderfully absurd, philosophical, tender, sarcastic, fun, and a tour-de-force through the weirdness of religion, politics and people. Buckle your seat belts and get ready for an eye-popping adventure. :lmao: 

Thank you, my friend! Excluding myself, you are only one of two people on earth who have read the whole thing

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
15 hours ago, AC Benus said:

Kisses for all!!! 

This... Can’t wait.!! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Shameless boost from a beta reader: Compared to the two morsels AC has served up, word for word, most of the book is as good, and some of it will knock your socks off. 

On December 16, 2017 at 11:55 PM, Timothy M. said:

This story is wonderfully absurd, philosophical, tender, sarcastic, fun, and a tour-de-force through the weirdness of religion, politics and people. Buckle your seat belts and get ready for an eye-popping adventure. :lmao: 

Yup. You’re gonna love it.

• Like 3