Inappropriate Comments and Feedback

3 minutes ago, Krista said:

Some of the worst comments/feedback, I've received happened well before I was on GA. Thankfully, that is what kept me writing and on GA, the readers were just... of better quality? For the most part.

When I posted to NIfty, I got one that said: "I think I know where you're going with this story, if you do I'll slit your fucking throat." 

The worst that was from a reader on GA, they read all of my earlier works and after the last chapter of each, they kept saying, "I'll never read another story from you..." but since they kept obviously reading my writing... I just didn't understand their shit.

Mostly though, since I write pretty much just modern romance these days, most of my criticism comes from me being a bit slow at posting. I'd say 95% of my feedback is positive and the criticism is constructive. If I ever branch out of my comfort zone to other genres that I rarely touch, I hope to get the feedback as constructive as I've gotten on GA so far. I don't know if I branched out to other sites for posting that the feedback would be as good as I get here... as far as quality of feedback goes. I wish more people hit, "like," or whatever then told me why in comments... 

Doesnt surprise me, one from Nifty... Scary though!

The second is hilarious... they're addicted to you!

I agree with posting too slowly! LOL! I love Jackson and his journey. Since you didn't confirm my suspicion of pregnancy... I'm dying in agony! 😊

• Like 5

Had an interesting personal reaction to someone's reaction to one of my story chapters tonight. Someone left the "Angry" react on a story chapter of mine, but no comment as to why they left that reaction. Kinda pissed about it, but oh well.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Had an interesting personal reaction to someone's reaction to one of my story chapters tonight. Someone left the "Angry" react on a story chapter of mine, but no comment as to why they left that reaction. Kinda pissed about it, but oh well.

You aren't going to please everyone. However, you could PM without hostility if you want to know.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

You aren't going to please everyone. However, you could PM without hostility if you want to know.

I'll pass this time, but if it becomes a pattern, then I'll ask.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

"Someone left the "Angry" react on a story chapter of mine"

You have to wait and see if this person carries on reading and or adds other reactions - because the reaction could be about the story characters, plot, not about your writing. That is nothing about you - but they just felt angry about something that happened in the story, you know, like someone got treated badly, whatever. The reaction doesn't necessarily mean they don't like the story - what the reaction buttons mean is not that clear.

Personally, any reaction someone hits is good for me, like it, love it, sad, angry, WOW!

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Myr said:

As an example, when I was reading the 5th Harry Potter book... I threw the book across the room twice in irritation.  It's the only book of the series I've read only once as well.  My reaction was not from hating the book, but hating how a character chose to react in the book.  It still irritates the hell out of me years later.  A good author to elicit that kind of emotional response.

I did that with Weis' and Hickman's Dragonlance Saga book, Dragons of Summer Flame. They killed off two fan beloved characters. When the first one happened, I stopped reading for a day. When the killed the second one off... took me a month to pick the book back up.

Edited by BHopper2
  • Like 2

The most confusing/funny/weirdest review I have ever got was on Goodreads. The story is also posted on here - one of my unison island stories that was written at an offsite readers request. 

The reviewer just posted in big capital letters - WARNING MPREG!!!

All I could think was - yeah, the tags and blurb tell you its mpreg. What's your point?

I just shrugged and moved on, but it did make me chuckle

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think I've ever gotten any negative comments or feedback on GA or the other site where I post. I'm super grateful to all the people who read my stories, and especially grateful for those who take the time to leave a comment. I know they definitely don't have to. 

But... I did get one comment that I felt was inappropriate because it referenced something religious that I felt was intolerant--weird because that story had nothing to do with religion. I didn't respond to the comment (even though I usually respond to all comments), because I didn't know what to say. I thought about reporting it to GA admin, but wasn't sure if that was appropriate either... 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2017 at 5:56 PM, Myr said:

You ought to meet my editor.  She beats me to death with edits.  Shhhh... she's watching even now.

I've worked with your editor. She might mark up your work, but you can't really say she is wrong. Lol.

• Love 2
  • Haha 1