Inappropriate Comments and Feedback

11 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

I'm curious as to why the word "mouthwash." The only times I've seen it used, was when a character used said item when brushing teeth. 

11 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

And I'm with Bhopper.... what's up with mouthwash? :unsure: 

to quote from one of several PMs on the topic (I've removed the sentence showing which story it was about):

What's with the mouthwash thing? Have people in NA been brainwashed into thinking this is a good idea? It's not common in Europe - or at least I don't think it is. 

Every now and then I come across a story, where one of the characters as part of his cleaning routine before a date or before sex does the 'gargle with mouthwash' after brushing teeth ritual. It always makes me roll my eyes and start laughing, and completely kills the mood.

But even worse: Halitosis (bad breath) is a fictional 'medical' problem - and it's invented by the Listerine who wanted to sell a mouthwash product. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listerine Every time anyone writes a story where using mouthwash is promoted as a good hygiene thing, they are buying into this lie and perpetuating it.

Just one of many articles on the topic:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/marketing-campaign-invented-halitosis-180954082/

from an Australian Dental Journal paper from 2008:

"Whilst many of these products may have been shown to be effective in penetrating oral microbial biofilms in vitro and reducing oral bacterial load, it would be wise to restrict their use to short-term therapeutic situations if needed. ...

There may well be a reason for the use of alcohol-containing mouthrinses, but only for a particular situation and for a limited and controlled period of time. ...

mouthwash use should be restricted to adults for short durations and specific, clearly defined reasons."

Edited by Timothy M.
adding documentation
  • Wow 3

I see you have a strong view of it, @Timothy M.. However, if you look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_hygiene#Mouthwash  there are benefits to using Mouthwash, which is supported by the American Dental Association. It's more than just "bad breath," but has other uses. Brushing + Mouthwash = removal of more plaque + prevention of tooth decay.

• Like 3
  • Angry 1
7 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

I was reading a story last night, and then read one of the chapter comments. While it's not my story, I felt the comment was uncalled for. Part of the criticism this Author got was, "Your story is too white." I paused reading that. However, the commenter quickly followed up with, "Not race-wise, but chromatic color-wise. The story was too white." What the hell does that even mean? The story was an atypical M/M Love Story, with a bit of supernatural flair. I'm guessing the Reader felt that the Author didn't make it dark/serious enough. Still, are we as the Author of our stories the ones to determine the tone of our stories? If I wanted to do a Disney-esque, Sunshine and Lollipops, Unicorns farting glitter, story, isn't that my prerogative?

:blink: sometimes i want the rainbows and glitter farts, ya know? life can be depressing and you need a laugh or a HEA or two. briefly i had to stop reading one series, (that doesn't happen with me much) because he got too dark. there is also two stories i'd like to read by 2 different authors i enjoy, but the the descriptions give me pause, and i fear they are too... something for me to handle in my present state of mind.

• Like 5

IMO There's no such thing as bad feedback. Even the haters give me something to chew on.

@Mann Ramblings takes care of beating me enough so most people don't complain about the actual writing.

Subject matter's another thing. Funniest one was a recent e-mail a reader sent when my character showed interest in working for Hillary Clinton's campaign. He mentioned CJ working for the 'murderous bitch" and was kind enough to send me a link to an article detailing all the people who have died as a result of their association with the Clintons. That was one of the few messages I ignored. I honestly had nothing to say! Hopefully he'll write again when my kid's actual involvement is detailed.

Edited by Carlos Hazday
  • Like 3
11 minutes ago, Myr said:

Having directly experienced an attempt my life by her, I can only assume that the article was likely true. 

True story:  While First Lady and running for Senate here in NY, she was visiting my campus. As I stepped off the curve onto the crosswalk, Her SUV, ran the stop sign, swerved around the corner and only barely missed hitting me.  Turns out that the Secret Service doesn't like being called fucking morons and being told to watch where the fuck they were driving.  Of course, I only realized after cursing them out that Her High Holiness was in the vehicle.

I generally try to avoid real political figures while writing or while reading.  Why piss off at least 50% of your audience without needing to?

I'm happy you lived through that. Normally I agree with you on politics. However; I love the personality Carlos puts to these figures. Sometimes a good chuckle. Like how he sees Bubba or Ted Cruz!

• Like 5

I have never received any harsh criticisms on my stories. The closest (and it still wouldn't be anywhere near harsh) I can think of would be during the editing process for my anthology entry- @Kitt didn't sugarcoat things for me! :lol: And that's not me complaining, she did a fantastic job highlighting the areas in my story that needed to be fixed and made it a whole lot better than I could have done on my own. :heart: 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Drew Espinosa said:

I have never received any harsh criticisms on my stories. The closest (and it still wouldn't be anywhere near harsh) I can think of would be during the editing process for my anthology entry- @Kitt didn't sugarcoat things for me! :lol: And that's not me complaining, she did a fantastic job highlighting the areas in my story that needed to be fixed and made it a whole lot better than I could have done on my own. :heart: 

@Kitt is an awesome editor.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Dodger said:

Tim, your comments and one, in particular, about a year ago helped me to accept and understand the importance of constructive criticism. It was a definite turning point for me and I was able to learn and my writing improved as a direct result. You also encouraged me to reply to comments and reviews which proved to be enormously helpful, so you've played an important part in my learning curve. Therefore you will never read the word 'Mouthwash' in any of my stories. 

:blushing: this is probably one of the best compliments and feedback I've gotten for some of my (ranting) comments. It definitely made my day (actually my whole week :2thumbs:). Thank you, Dodger :hug: 

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

:blushing: this is probably one of the best compliments and feedback I've gotten for some of my (ranting) comments. It definitely made my day (actually my whole week :2thumbs:). Thank you, Dodger :hug: 

I remember that one too. I think you ended up saying... I won't comment anymore. ☺️

• Like 5

I think any form of expression requires a certain amount of humility. Of course it's personal, because it's an expression of you. 
However; painting, writing, etc must get critiques, or opinions for one to improve on their chosen medium. 

• Like 5

Reading through this thread I notice a couple of points:

1. Someone mentioned a problem with the star rating.

The context was people giving one star as soon as the story gets published, but that has been addressed by the update. You can only rate completed stories when reviewing. I find the reverse problem - too many 5 star ratings! There is no guidance on what the ratings mean, example, poor, room for improvement, okay/fair, good, exceptional. However, you think of the star rating, 5 stars has got to be exceptional, but is given all the time.

2. Criticism - If you never get any adverse comments, whatever you think about those comments, then you have received no real feedback, at least not balanced. There seems to be a tendence to react badly to negative feedback, this is something I believe should be avoided. Example, I received feedback on a story that said simply - don't like the plot. I replied explaining, without giving anything away, how things might progress in the story and to stick with it and find out. The reader come back later with other comments, so obviously carried on reading. If someone bothers to respond to a story it is because it has touched them, positively, or negatively. They deserve a considered response even if they tell you they don't like your story.

One aside, @Myr posed the question to @Carlos Hazday, why alienate half your readers by portraying a real life person negatively? Because as an author you can do it, you can put across your point of view, politically or otherwise, people will react to it, but that's the point. You can do the same with science fiction, it's just a bit more hidden.

• Like 2
On 8/25/2017 at 2:39 AM, William King said:

1. Someone mentioned a problem with the star rating.

The context was people giving one star as soon as the story gets published, but that has been addressed by the update. You can only rate completed stories when reviewing. I find the reverse problem - too many 5 star ratings! There is no guidance on what the ratings mean, example, poor, room for improvement, okay/fair, good, exceptional. However, you think of the star rating, 5 stars has got to be exceptional, but is given all the time.

Ratings are subjective based on the reviewer. What I rate as 5 Stars, someone else might rate as 1 Star. So we don't need "guidelines," of what is worthy of XX Stars... That stinks of totalitarian group think. Take it as a compliment that someone felt your story was worth 5 stars in their opinion. 

For the record, I've reviewed and rated stories on this site according to my tastes and views. Most that I've done have been 5 Stars, some are 4. Again, that is my opinion of that specific story's worth.

• Like 5