Motivation and Feedback - Authors, Choose Best Answers

Motivation and Feedback - Authors, Choose Best Answers  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What motivates you to write?

• I write no matter what. It's what I do.
    • I write because I like to and getting feedback motivates me to write more
    • I write and I need feedback to keep me going
    • I can only write if I get feedback constantly
  2. 2. What feedback would you want?

• Love it or hate it, I just want to hear something
    • Obviously, I want to hear people enjoyed it, but constructive criticism makes me strive harder
    • I'm still working on confidence of my writing and I'm only ready for positive reinforcement
    • I'm writing any way and don't care about feedback

I don't know if it's possible to implement it but maybe we could add social media sign up options? Since there are so many guests, maybe it would encourage some more people to create accounts.

Also, would it be possible to make "like" buttons clickable and comment text areas visible for guests? They could click them and be prompted to create an account. I know we're limited by the system here but just throwing ideas.

Edited by Arch Hunter
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator
3 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

I'm going to write no matter what, but reader interaction is a huge motivator too.

It seems a lot of us fall in this barrel.  Thanks for weighing in! :2thumbs:

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Myr said:

We figured out a way to change the "I Read it" to remove the perceived use as a passive-aggressive version of a like.  Hopefully this addresses authors concerns.

I love the new "Check It Out!" reaction! It's adorable, as well as the updates to the other reactions as well. The Like button is awesome, Myr! 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • 11 months later...

Selling books through a publisher is a whole different ballgame. First of all you need to find a publisher who is interested in your genre and see if they are currently accepting unsolicited submissions. Then follow their guidelines, send off what they require and wait... and wait... and wait. You may be lucky, you may not be. Generally if the first few paragraphs doesn't grab them, then they won't read any more.

I went on a writing course last week and the general advice was to keep on trying. It can be of benefit to get an author who already has published books in the same genre to critique what you have written first. I had two published authors look at the first chapter of the mystery novel I am currently writing and their comments have led me to a total re-writing frenzy! Basically, I hadn't started in the right place. You have to start bang in the middle of the action and leave exposition for later. 

People on GA are generally kind with their comments and most are just interested in a good read. They are not professional critics. I have tried posting chapters on sites such as critique circle, but most of the crits are from other unpublished writers, so you will get a wide variety of different comments, only some of which might help you. Getting feedback from two authors who know the industry has been far more useful.

Hope this helps you.

• Like 4
  • Love 1