Motivation and Feedback - Authors, Choose Best Answers

Myr

Motivation and Feedback - Authors, Choose Best Answers  

80 members have voted

1. 1. What motivates you to write?

• I write no matter what. It's what I do.
    • I write because I like to and getting feedback motivates me to write more
    • I write and I need feedback to keep me going
    • I can only write if I get feedback constantly
  2. 2. What feedback would you want?

• Love it or hate it, I just want to hear something
    • Obviously, I want to hear people enjoyed it, but constructive criticism makes me strive harder
    • I'm still working on confidence of my writing and I'm only ready for positive reinforcement
    • I'm writing any way and don't care about feedback

• Myr featured this topic
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think readers really understand how important it is for writers to hear from them. Most writers, like myself, never receive a penny for what we do. We spend long hours writing, proofreading an

If people just give you a thumbs up—okay, be my guest. But that doesn't tell you if they did that because they like you like that you post at all like the storyline like y

Feedback is fun. It helps me know if the reader’s are understanding what is is happening. 

Posted Images

Feedback is crucial to the development of a novice writer, like myself. I want to become better. I want my writing to go from hobby to job. I believe enough has been said that there should be a change in regards to turning guest readers into account holders, or something of the sort. 

As a former salesman of incredibly overpriced mattresses, I firmly believe that a group discussion must take place. While I don't think this thread is the proper place, I'll leave some suggestions:

-Allow guest readers to have access to the Like button, but not the reactions. This provides incentive for initial guest feedback, but leaves the guest to want a more descriptive reaction or comment, especially if they want to express "love" or "funny."

-A more drastic suggestion, but one no less. Borrow the "5 Free Articles" concept from popular online newspaper companies. This will turn some guest readers away, but if this site truly wants feedback, it will encourage guests to create accounts. I would stress in the "You've reached your weekly/monthly limit" message the words FREE ACCOUNT. 

I do agree with @Zuri and @lomax61 on the tick mark reaction. It's not a proper "reaction." The like button serves the purpose well enough. Perhaps another strong emotion, such as "flustered" or "ill" (not saying that's a fantastic addition, but there was a chapter ending in a bloodbath, I'd be ill).

This is a phenomenal discussion and I can't wait to read more!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Headstall said:

If they can write a PM, they can write a comment. I hope that doesn't sound harsh. I'm just being honest.

I wholeheartedly agree with this! I adore positivity, sunshine, and rainbows, but I'll be brash and truthful in a heartbeat! Aside from leaving a reaction, if someone is going to write out a PM, a comment isn't much more work.

Personally, I look for recommendations, and it blows my mind how it isn't utilized by readers more. To me, it's a few clicks, and it's a great way to describe whether the story is action-packed, smoldering, or a tear-jerker. Considering recommendations are a way to sort stories in the archive, as well as the deciding factor on featured stories in the monthly newsletter email, I'll ask for a recommendation over a review. 

Another suggestion came to me, and I'm curious to see other opinions. I'd like to see a version of a "Promising Author," but designed for passionate readers on the site. Requirements would include consistent comment, recommendation, and review quotas being met on a monthly basis. I'm unsure of benefits for the title (comparing banner privileges in the Promising Author status, for example), but this would cause an increase in those statistics that authors are looking for. I can think of a few potential readers I'd hand the title "Avid Reader" to.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, Myr said:

I am reviewing options to add to the system that would allow guests to read the first chapter of a story and then require you to be logged into your free account to proceed.  (except for FanFiction categories, as there are rules on any sort of content gating on that).  Another option I'm considering is allowing an author to opt in/out of this.  The more generic 5 free articles is harder to do for a small independent like us.  Due to being a guest, controlling that is time consuming and ever evolving.

I totally understand how the 5 free articles concept would be difficult, but I am quite interested in the "First Chapter-only" option! With the ability for the author to opt in/out, I'm down for this! Ultimately, the only negative I see is fewer added views, but I wouldn't be too concerned with that statistic.

36 minutes ago, Myr said:

If I were to delete that reaction, then it would drop the reputation counts of people, also including the story reputation. Do the people that dislike it really want the "I read it" removed and replaced?

The reputation count does not bother me, but I know it is a beloved factor to others. I've only received 27 "I Read It" reactions out of my entire time on this site, but I am not the only voice that matters. There are many other authors who have been here much longer than I have, and I look to them since they've been around the block.

Seeing the lead research suggesting 5-7 reactions made me giggle (not in a bad way of any kind) as I immediately thought of how many emojis exist in the world 😆5-7 reactions is optimal and the current ones are spread out perfectly in a range of emotions. I see the purpose of "I Read It." I'm going to leave this particular topic for others to voice their opinions on.

52 minutes ago, Myr said:

Invision Community software has announced that version 4.6 is adding Achievements and Badges.  We have begun work on identifying ways to use this.  The primary focus for me is increasing content (authors) and increasing feedback for content creators (from readers).  These have a very split reaction depending on our levels of gamification interest.  @wildonehas gone on some truly impressive... um... rants... on the topic.  I got hooked into Xbox Achievements long ago, so I get how they can be motivating for some people.  Two examples - Sci-Fi Writer Badge for 10 stories posted within sci-fi genre.  Sci-Fi Reader badge for reviewing 10 sci-fi genre stories.

I've never had a craving to hunt for achievements/badges in games, but they always provide a nice and joyful moment when you inadvertently earn one. I'm for this, especially if it means authors and readers will be rewarded. I look at it as something we didn't have before. 

1 hour ago, Myr said:

I am brainstorming on a way of doing feedback on the end of a chapter that would prompt people to select by checking boxes similar to the story recommendations.  Perhaps going as far as having an author select feedback levels (opt in/out, positive/neutral, constructive responses)

I'm also interested in this concept. I'm down for a brainstorming sesh (I am super unaware of what the site's software can and can't do, but I'm happy to pull ideas out all willy-nilly). I'm thinking a heavier emphasis on the end of a story, possibly links/ability to leave a recommendation and review from the last chapter's page before you hit the comment section? (I think I'm aiming for a "Well, you read the whole dang thing! While you're here..." kind of vibe). I would say this would auto-implement once the story is registered as complete.

This concept of polling for the website is quite refreshing, as I don't see it very often. I would love to see more polls regarding GA/site maintenance. Anytime y'all are needing some feedback from us, give us another poll! This is very fun, even though I've heard how busy Myr can be. 

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator
1 hour ago, astone2292 said:

Seeing the lead research suggesting 5-7 reactions made me giggle (not in a bad way of any kind) as I immediately thought of how many emojis exist in the world 😆5-7 reactions is optimal and the current ones are spread out perfectly in a range of emotions.

In this context, reactions and emojis are treated rather differently.  Reactions are more directly tied to the emotional archetype, such as love, hate, sad, etc.  Emojis are more intended to cover the details or spice up plain written text.

I'm thinking a heavier emphasis on the end of a story, possibly links/ability to leave a recommendation and review from the last chapter's page before you hit the comment section? (I think I'm aiming for a "Well, you read the whole dang thing! While you're here..." kind of vibe). I would say this would auto-implement once the story is registered as complete.

This we already have.  Though it could be more 'in your face'.   I love using @Carlos Hazday in my examples...

image.png

The "Review" button appears on the last chapter of a story at the bottom when the story is marked as complete.

I would love to see more polls regarding GA/site maintenance. Anytime y'all are needing some feedback from us, give us another poll!

I do when there are relevant things to ask.  A lot of things are driven by the underlying forum software and don't leave us with any option, except, perhaps, turn it on or turn it off.

12 hours ago, Headstall said:

Right now the system is going through a needed purge, and because of that, we authors are losing reactions.

I have been able to track down exactly what is going on.  This is a follow on to my previous post above about why we have a separate story reputation number.  To summarize what is going on:

• Normal reputation, shown on all the posts, is cached by the server. 
  • When a person reacts to something, the content creator's reputation count goes up.
  • If a person reacts to something and then removes the reaction, the content creator's reputation goes up and then down.  (It can't go down only.)
  • If a person reacts to something and then leaves the site and we remove the account, the reputation does not change unless we do a reputation recount. This is because the value is cached.  There was not an order to lower the reputation count because the account removed didn't ask to remove the reaction, the account was just removed.
  • The admin control panel allows us to adjust that cached value at any time to any value and it would only be reset during a recount.

For Story reputation:

• When deployed, story reputation was needed to address the moderation queue issue we had where the site reputation was being severely skewed because of the chat threads.
  • Reputation is not displayed outside of the author profile and did not need to be cached.
  • This means that every time you look at the author page, it is getting a fresh current count of reputation.  Which is to say, it is doing a recount every time you look.
  • Ergo, when we removed the abandoned accounts, a small number (we removed 16,000 accounts or so), did have reactions on stories and that is where the comparable drop came from.

Correction:

I have added an action for our programmer to cache the story reputation and treat it like the main site reputation.  When that occurs, I'll add 100 rep back in for @Headstall to address his concern.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Myr pinned this topic

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..