The Drop in Centre

52 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Oh! This is such a golden opportunity to ask about Christmas traditions! What do your families eat for Christmas dinner? When do you decorate the Christmas tree (if you have one)? Do you open presents on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day? We can compare notes! :) 

we go traditional Mexican on Christmas Eve, tamales, rice and beans.

the tree usually goes up a week after Thanksgiving this year we did our small 3 foot, (91 cm) tree, so the twins picked just special ornaments to put on it.  when we do our big tree, as the ornaments go on, we tell the story of how we got that one.

Christmas morning i make cinnamon roll pull apart bread after everyone gets up.  we let the kids have their stockings, usually some special candies or little gifts. then the big gifts, and the pull apart bread.

Phil and i decided long time ago that these big celebration meals would be chill, so i do a spiral sliced ham, some hawaiian sweet rolls and cold salads buffet style.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Traditions:

As a kid, wake up to see what Santa had left at about 5:00 am. Usually, they were unwrapped from Santa, and the wrapped ones were from mom, dad, and sis. Mom fixed breakfast, different all the time. Lunch at my Grandparents on mom's side of the family. It was usually HUGE. Mom has two brothers and had one sister. The two brother's each had four kids, and her sister had two. Post-Turkey nap. Then Dinner at my Grandparents on my dad's side. He had three brothers and three sisters, each with 4 - 6 kids. Usually had ham there.

Years varied, but sometimes there was a Sunrise Service at the Baptist assembly grounds, or just lounging around at home.

As a teen. The above minus Santa.

As a young adult. Everything above, minus Dad's family after my grandmother passed away.

Now... Dinner with mom's family. Depends on who shows up, as most go to other places. We don't go all out, a small tree and some lights last year. Only some inflatable Christmas yard stuff this year. Dad's family... may their hearts unharden one day. That would be a Christmas miracle.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

We bring the tree in on the 22nd, and decorate it on the 23rd. Leave it up until a couple weeks into January, really. There's a Scandinavian tradition of 20 days of Christmas, as opposed to the 12 you normally hear about.

And I can't stand Christmas music before December, lol! And even then my Christmas playlist consists mostly of the obscure, plus a bit of Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald and the like.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I didn't want to bring anyone down, with today being Christmas and tim's birthday. Now that the day is almost over if you're of the praying type, I could use some. My Mother told me this morning, that tomorrow on the 26th, she is going into the hospital for a procedure. Should only be a couple of hours, in and out. But, what they are doing is a significant procedure. It's a long story, but to sum up, a few years ago, she was fighting the infection in her spine, that I told you all about, that had made unable to walk. Thank the gods, that is fixed. But during that time, she was put in a medicated coma and was in the ICU for three weeks, after the first rehab center she went to, made her OD on her painkillers.

Because of that, her vocal cords atrophied and she has issues talking, swallowing, and food/liquid will get in her lungs when she's drinking. The procedure tomorrow they are sending a camera down her throat to look at her lungs, as they have come back with "funny" looking splotches that look like shattered glass. The doc has said it could be Wet Lung, or something worse. She's in her 60's and has been a smoker since she was 15. 

Prayers, Positive Thoughts, Good Mojo, what-have-you, is greatly welcomed.

• Sad 5
7 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

I didn't want to bring anyone down, with today being Christmas and tim's birthday. Now that the day is almost over if you're of the praying type, I could use some. My Mother told me this morning, that tomorrow on the 26th, she is going into the hospital for a procedure. Should only be a couple of hours, in and out. But, what they are doing is a significant procedure. It's a long story, but to sum up, a few years ago, she was fighting the infection in her spine, that I told you all about, that had made unable to walk. Thank the gods, that is fixed. But during that time, she was put in a medicated coma and was in the ICU for three weeks, after the first rehab center she went to, made her OD on her painkillers.

Because of that, her vocal cords atrophied and she has issues talking, swallowing, and food/liquid will get in her lungs when she's drinking. The procedure tomorrow they are sending a camera down her throat to look at her lungs, as they have come back with "funny" looking splotches that look like shattered glass. The doc has said it could be Wet Lung, or something worse. She's in her 60's and has been a smoker since she was 15. 

She's in my thoughts. Hoping the procedure goes well! ❤️ 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

She's in my thoughts. Hoping the procedure goes well! ❤️ 

5 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

I hope the procedure runs smoothly and the prognosis is good, A. 

Just now, Kitt said:

Love and prayers A.

Thanks, y'all.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

please never keep things to yourself.. no matter if it is christmas, a birthday.. no matter what.. never think it will ruin anything.  i hate to think that you are worried or afraid. please reach out whenever you're ready to ... the date doesnt matter. ... we are here for each other... always.  love you and will send only warm positive thoughts for your mom... and hugs for you. xoxoo

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

please never keep things to yourself.. no matter if it is christmas, a birthday.. no matter what.. never think it will ruin anything.  i hate to think that you are worried or afraid. please reach out whenever you're ready to ... the date doesnt matter. ... we are here for each other... always.  love you and will send only warm positive thoughts for your mom... and hugs for you. xoxoo

Thanks, Bro.

It's all appreciated.

• Love 4

Traditions ... well Michael and i are pretty crap at getting ourselves together.  One tradition from my family is my mum's fudge. She always made it, and i started to make it when i met Michael. It's all i could afford to give in the beginning.  Now the 'kids' expect it annually.

Michael's family is Ukrainian so really they don't celebrate until January 7 ... but they usually do 'normal' Christmas more to fit in than anything, but they also observe the 7th as well.. just not as full on.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Michael's family is Ukrainian so really they don't celebrate until January 7

I just tried to Google it, and my google-fu is lacking right now... Is that the day for Three-Kings?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
12 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

I just tried to Google it, and my google-fu is lacking right now... Is that the day for Three-Kings?

https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/ukraine/christmas-day

they use the julian calendar

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Ahh, ok. Thanks, I didn't know that. 🙂

These sound good:

Vushka (small dumplings with mushroom).

Varenyky (dumplings with cabbage and potatoes).

But then I love dumplings. Chicken and Dumplings, Bean Dumplings.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, BHopper2 said:

These sound good:

i love them too.. and yes they are delicious ..

• Like 2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

These sound good:

yeah i f'd that up .. it's actually the julian calendar...

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, BHopper2 said:

Down my Natural Calm, and dozed off.

I do believe I am heading to bed.

get some rest ... i'll be around tomorrow ... xoxo

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

Traditions ... well Michael and i are pretty crap at getting ourselves together.  One tradition from my family is my mum's fudge. She always made it, and i started to make it when i met Michael. It's all i could afford to give in the beginning.  Now the 'kids' expect it annually.

Michael's family is Ukrainian so really they don't celebrate until January 7 ... but they usually do 'normal' Christmas more to fit in than anything, but they also observe the 7th as well.. just not as full on.

Yeah, we celebrate Julian calendar Christmas as well. Cause my mum's Orthodox (I technically am too, but only on paper these days; since religious congregations and things in Norway receive funding based on member count I figure our tiny church can get mine instead of it being wasted on nothing), and her church is under Constantinople which still uses the Julian calendar for holidays. So we do Christmas twice. The first one with pork rib and presents, the second with ham and religion, I guess. Precious little religion during first Christmas, as my stepdad's an atheist. :P She takes a break from Christmas fast for a few days for 'regular' Christmas.

Morning, DiC! Hope you all enjoyed Christmas Day, and that today is peaceful and pleasant. I decided to stay home from lunch at Mum's. I don't feel very well. I'm on some way strong antibiotics right now, and it's wreaking havoc on, well, everything. So I'm enjoying the peace and quiet before my flatmate and her puppy get home this evening and the house inevitably gets noisy again...

• Sad 4
8 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Yeah, we celebrate Julian calendar Christmas as well. Cause my mum's Orthodox (I technically am too, but only on paper these days; since religious congregations and things in Norway receive funding based on member count I figure our tiny church can get mine instead of it being wasted on nothing), and her church is under Constantinople which still uses the Julian calendar for holidays. So we do Christmas twice. The first one with pork rib and presents, the second with ham and religion, I guess. Precious little religion during first Christmas, as my stepdad's an atheist. :P She takes a break from Christmas fast for a few days for 'regular' Christmas.

Morning, DiC! Hope you all enjoyed Christmas Day, and that today is peaceful and pleasant. I decided to stay home from lunch at Mum's. I don't feel very well. I'm on some way strong antibiotics right now, and it's wreaking havoc on, well, everything. So I'm enjoying the peace and quiet before my flatmate and her puppy get home this evening and the house inevitably gets noisy again...

Look after yourself...Someone here told me to eat yogurt ..plain....while on antibiotics...it helped ...

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..