The Drop in Centre

Mikiesboy

• Site Moderator
2 hours ago, Kitt said:

That's cause all the little feathered freaks have come down to Jersey for the winter! They are everywhere, and get nasty if you get too close. Spent 5 minutes when 20 of them (I counted) slowly crossed the road single file.

A few years ago that happened to me and my folks going home from visiting my cousin. Thinking about it, I still wonder why they’re walking when they could fly? I mean, it’s so much quicker to fly…

• Love 3

44 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

A few years ago that happened to me and my folks going home from visiting my cousin. Thinking about it, I still wonder why they’re walking when they could fly? I mean, it’s so much quicker to fly…

Because they like to cause the most pain and suffering.  

I really dislike Canada geese in personality.  Which is a shame because they're actually very pretty birds in my opinion. 

Glad to hear everyone is doing so well. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

17 hours ago, CassieQ said:

It does wonders for my mood and stress as well.  

This is very true. It makes a big difference to mental health, I think. I think getting out to walk outdoors makes it even more so.

• Love 4

10 hours ago, Starrynight22 said:

Because they like to cause the most pain and suffering.  

I really dislike Canada geese in personality.  Which is a shame because they're actually very pretty birds in my opinion. 

Glad to hear everyone is doing so well. 

They are grumpy and nasty. And they are protected here, as are seagulls. But we have too many and idiots feed them so they are not inclined to fly away for the winter and end up dying here.

Don't feed the animals!

• Love 4

49 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

They are grumpy and nasty. And they are protected here, as are seagulls. But we have too many and idiots feed them so they are not inclined to fly away for the winter and end up dying here.

Don't feed the animals!

They're protected in the U.S. as well under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. Still, they are a nasty animal. 

My question is if they are parked in my town 365 days out of the year, are they really a migratory bird? We actually have geese crossing signs on our roadways here. 

Edited by spyke
  • Love 3

14 minutes ago, spyke said:

They're protected in the U.S. as well under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. Still, they are a nasty animal. 

My question is if they are parked in my town 365 days out of the year, are they really a migratory bird? We actually have geese crossing signs on our roadways here. 

I looked that up. Here's the answer:   Canada geese return to nest where they first learned to fly. Canada geese breeding in southern Canada are not northern geese that stopped migrating, they are the result of the natural increase of populations that were re-introduced or introduced for the first time. The present-day southern landscape provides an abundance of high quality habitat for geese so they have expanded greatly in numbers and distribution. Northern-breeding geese still maintain their historic migratory behaviour nesting in Canada’s sub-arctic regions and wintering in the United States of America (USA).

• Love 4

4 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

I looked that up. Here's the answer:   Canada geese return to nest where they first learned to fly. Canada geese breeding in southern Canada are not northern geese that stopped migrating, they are the result of the natural increase of populations that were re-introduced or introduced for the first time. The present-day southern landscape provides an abundance of high quality habitat for geese so they have expanded greatly in numbers and distribution. Northern-breeding geese still maintain their historic migratory behaviour nesting in Canada’s sub-arctic regions and wintering in the United States of America (USA).

They winter, spring, summer, and fall here in the U.S., as well as breed. They've adapted to the southern climate and are quite happy here even in 100+ heat, so they're not flying off anywhere. I'm in a small town in a rural area, so there are really very few natural predators to keep the population in check. They haven't wandered into my neighborhood yet, but if they do, they'll be in for a surprise. We have a healthy population of feral cats who take care of "trespassers" LOL. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, spyke said:

They winter, spring, summer, and fall here in the U.S., as well as breed. They've adapted to the southern climate and are quite happy here even in 100+ heat, so they're not flying off anywhere. I'm in a small town in a rural area, so there are really very few natural predators to keep the population in check. They haven't wandered into my neighborhood yet, but if they do, they'll be in for a surprise. We have a healthy population of feral cats who take care of "trespassers" LOL. 

Something should be done about their numbers. There are just way too many of them.

Someone here said we should let poor people kill them...:facepalm:That kind of turned my stomach because I can only imagine what they are riddled with. But hey, who cares, right? They're only poor people! Ugh.

• Haha 3
  • Wow 2

11 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Something should be done about their numbers. There are just way too many of them.

Someone here said we should let poor people kill them...:facepalm:That kind of turned my stomach because I can only imagine what they are riddled with. But hey, who cares, right? They're only poor people! Ugh.

turkey time GIF

Poor people haunting wild geese - how genius ecological solution! 😜

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Cane23 said:

turkey time GIF

Poor people haunting wild geese - how genius ecological solution! 😜

They can scare them to death.  (i'm joking.. i know you mean hunting.)  lol     I suppose they could eat them but they'd be wormy and tough.

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

They can scare them to death.  (i'm joking.. i know you mean hunting.)  lol     I suppose they could eat them but they'd be wormy and tough.

I would like to say it was autocorrected, alas, it has been all me! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I won't edit it...hm 'scare them do death' - I like it! :gikkle:

• Haha 4

• Site Moderator
18 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Mmmm. Tempting. We have a few biggun's round here. lol

No, no

Don't do it, tim.

Your culinary skills are right up there, but I don’t think city crows would be tasty no matter how they’re prepared. 🤢

Spoiler

Just kidding, I no you’re just foolin’. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

No, no

Don't do it, tim.

Your culinary skills are right up there, but I don’t think city crows would be tasty no matter how they’re prepared. 🤢

Reveal hidden contents

Just kidding, I no you’re just foolin’. 😁

i like watching them, i won't be eating them.  lol

• Love 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Wayne Gray said:

When I was growing up in rural Kentucky, my father shot a bunch of crows who kept destroying our garden. Then he and my mom cleaned them, and they went into the crock pot with a package of Lipton's onion soup mix.

I'm not gonna say it was good, but it was edible (after about six hours of bubbling on low). And memorable. LOL

Crow?!? As a big, black bird crow?! I mean...I know what the crow is, but I had to check it on google translate anyway!!!

I knew I was right when I told my children not to eat fast food at 'KFC'! 

• Haha 4