Open Club  ·  135 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

27 minutes ago, raven1 said:

Hey Page!  Any good Max stories to share?  How's Morgan? You got to do better at updating the rest of us.  

Hey, Terry!  :hug: Max wanted to audition for a stage production in Detroit. It would be showing in late July through early August, so there's plenty of time for auditions. But he's only in his second year of ballet; and there's a HUGE difference between knowing one style of dance, and knowing three or four styles. Not to mention acting classes, tuition, housing, scheduling, etc. I think the stars in his eyes are blinding him to reality. I'm proud that he has such big aspirations, but I also want him to approach his goals pragmatically. "One step at a time." I told him. "Let's build the foundation first, and maybe you can try an audition next year." He was predictably disappointed, but he understands that he needs to improve and expand his skills before he can even think of reaching that high.

In other news, Morgan got a pay raise at work, and Uncle Mickey invited us for brunch at Grandma and Grandpa's house tomorrow. (My in-laws)  :D

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, raven1 said:

I like that you are thinking about a masters degree.  It is a big boost to your career, and opens many opportunities for you.  As for international teaching, do it for a while at the beginning or as long as you want at the end of your career.  There are many down sides for a life long career in international schools.  The two most important are these schools often have a big pay gap and are private schools.  Another big problem is that since most teachers switch from country to country, there are few schools that offer a pension.  I have one good friend who spent all her life teaching, but now has to live on a very small pension from the US Social Security.  She has to live with her daughter's family in order to survive.  

Thanks for the tips! 

A master degree is the law to be a teacher and then there's also an entrance examination (in 2 phases: if you pass the written one you can access the oral one). But you only get your official certification after a year of practice and evaluation! So the road is still long!

Honestly I'm not planning to teacher aboard, it's not something I'm interested in (what would I do with Looping?!) but it's always good to have many options. Mostly it's because there are not many spots available for the master degree compared to the number of students applying. Most of them will apply for the regular master so my thinking is to not limit myself to the regular one in my applications cause if I sont have a proposition for the regular one at least I might have a spot for the international one and I know the fact classes are in English won't be a problem for me ;)

In the first year of the master there's a mandatory internship abroad. At first I was reticent about it because I thought I would be for 2 or 4 months but it's only for 2 to 4 weeks and my brother's already said they'd happily babysit Looping.

Here's the map of the partnership school for the internship.  I could see myself eating pasta in Italy, drinking a beer in Dublin and sunbathing in the Canarias or even visiting ancient ruins in Greece ;)

• Like 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, clochette said:

Thanks for the tips! 

A master degree is the law to be a teacher and then there's also an entrance examination (in 2 phases: if you pass the written one you can access the oral one). But you only get your official certification after a year of practice and evaluation! So the road is still long!

Honestly I'm not planning to teacher aboard, it's not something I'm interested in (what would I do with Looping?!) but it's always good to have many options. Mostly it's because there are not many spots available for the master degree compared to the number of students applying. Most of them will apply for the regular master so my thinking is to not limit myself to the regular one in my applications cause if I sont have a proposition for the regular one at least I might have a spot for the international one and I know the fact classes are in English won't be a problem for me ;)

In the first year of the master there's a mandatory internship abroad. At first I was reticent about it because I thought I would be for 2 or 4 months but it's only for 2 to 4 weeks and my brother's already said they'd happily babysit Looping.

Here's the map of the partnership school for the internship.  I could see myself eating pasta in Italy, drinking a beer in Dublin and sunbathing in the Canarias or even visiting ancient ruins in Greece ;)

I have friends who have taught in Poland and the Czech Republic and loved both those places. Good luck on your exams.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Drew Espinosa said:

They're immune system can't cope with Earth's pathogens... they're revenge failed. :P

They stay in there machines and there revenge succeeds!

Image result for GIF Death Ray

Edited by Albert1434
  • Haha 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..