• Site Moderator

Now to break our fast.

I appreciate how you wrote this. Yes, they will have breakfast, but truly, they are breaking their fast from the night before. Looked up the word, and that isn’t part of the definition, but it should be. Very B)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator

Stravor’s gaze softened and he put a hand on Keter’s slim shoulder. He could feel the lad’s bones. “Do not be afraid, for I will let nothing happen to you.”

Oh, really? 🤨

Miles to go before I die …. Keter stopped on the landing with the door pull in his hand. His touch was cold, and the dream I had before Stravor woke me. Why would I dream he would harm me?

Yet, another 🤨

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 2
  • Site Moderator

Stravor patted the boy’s cheek and laughed. “Be still. I will go make ready the pony and then we shall leave.” On his hip the Sword hummed softly.

The sword hummed, because it approved Of Stravor’s actions. I knew I didn’t like that sword... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Site Moderator

Since you have run, you will remain tied to me.” 

Keter glared at his master. “Tied!” 

The little horse snorted at the outburst.

This, um, made me snort with laughter. Thinking that response was inappropriate. Oh wells, weird, I iz 

Yes, dreamt of it this morning.” Keter shuddered at the memory. “I felt your desire for my death

See now this is making Hemothracene’s case there is more to Keter than meets the eye. I, however, think Keter is more likely related to Glenda than the one who melted into a puddle. Just saying. 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Haha 3
8 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

This, um, made me snort with laughter. Thinking that response was inappropriate. Oh wells, weird, I iz 

See now this, is making Hemothracene’s case there is more to Keter than meets the eye. I, however, think Keter is more likely related to Glenda than the one who melted into a puddle. Just saying. 

Snorting is fine ... lol... there are bits of humour in this story.

You could be right ... but right now even Keter isn't sure...

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator

the pony had his burden

Stravor awakened the fire with the kindling he’d collected

Just a couple of examples as I am sure there are more, but I just have to say before I forget, I really like and appreciate how you’ve chosen to tell your readers what action has occurred. It makes one think. :thumbup:

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Site Moderator

Shade lifted his head, drawn by the sweet scent of the oats. Gently, he took the offered food from the man’s flattened palm. The Searcher repeated the process. “Good, eh? A bit of a treat for you … Shade. We’ve still a long journey before us; first up this damnable path. Then the Stone Men, though we’ve been promised free passage.” The oats finished, Stravor caught the pony’s halter and scratched between the long upright ears and then between the widely spaced eyes. “Good, lad. You eat and I had better get this boy up and ourselves fed.”

Oh, what a wee devil The Searcher be. Hiding his tender side from Keter, and, I suppose most everyone else. too. 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Oh, what a wee devil The Searcher be. Hiding his tender side from Keter, and, I suppose most everyone else. too. 

From time to time we see glimpses of the man.

• Love 3
  • Site Moderator

Stravor stood alone. He gazed into the distance. Try as he might he could not stop thinking of quiet nights with his lad and days filled with work at their own inn. It would be …. Stop. The Searcher sucked in air. Nothing can come of such foolish dreams.

Are we allowed to vote for this being their lot in life? 0:)

“Is he right?” the Searcher whispered as he removed the pony’s burden and adjusted the padding that the baskets rested on. He leaned against the sturdy animal. On his hip the Sword hummed gently.

I want to slap that sword, I really, really do. -_-

Edited by Reader1810
  • Haha 3
6 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Are we allowed to vote for this being their lot in life? 0:)

I want to slap that sword, I really, really do. -_-

If you want to ...  :) 

Mmmm, best not to touch THAT sword ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Site Moderator

The long ears of the little horse swiveled back as it listened to what was in the man’s mind. Had it full understanding, the little animal would have said, “A son should hear well of his father.”

The pony, too? Stravor is fast becoming outnumbered. 

Father, Keter, Shade vs. Hemothracene 

Seems kinda obvious which side Stravor should be on, imo. 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

The pony, too? Stravor is fast becoming outnumbered. 

Father, Keter, Shade vs. Hemothracene 

Seems kinda obvious which side Stravor should be on, imo. 

Omnipotent God  vs  everyone else  ...   And what about the Ones Who Watch .. who are they are what side are they on?  Don't forget the Stone Men ...

• Love 2
  • Site Moderator

No, I’m not cold, but Shade is breathing hard in this thin air.” Keter held out his arms as would a young child. “Help me down. I will walk the rest of the way.”

Then, grabbing the lead rope, said, “Come on, boy.”

The little horse snorted and walked on.

Now that I know Shade’s capabilities, I swear that snort was directed at the Searcher. :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Site Moderator
10 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

Omnipotent God  vs  everyone else  ...   And what about the Ones Who Watch .. who are they are what side are they on?  Don't forget the Stone Men ...

Not sure about the Ones Who Watch - some kind of undead beings controlled by Hemothracene, perhaps? He’s dispatched, and so too they will be? 

As for the Stone Men? A nice big hammer or some type of explosive device or sending them off a high cliff would make short work of them. ;)

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

tim 

i just started this chapter but you sly devil I see something the others missed - Searcher - the young - I think the men who watch were at one time Searchers. They failed to do the job and now are forced to watch for all times. This is just my opinion. And “beware of men in sheep’s clothing” this is  pure EVIL posing all wonderful. What better way keep your friends near but keep your enemies closer. 

So far pure enjoyment but I’m at work alas and can’t finish reading . 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, rickproehl said:

tim 

i just started this chapter but you sly devil I see something the others missed - Searcher - the young - I think the men who watch were at one time Searchers. They failed to do the job and now are forced to watch for all times. This is just my opinion. And “beware of men in sheep’s clothing” this is  pure EVIL posing all wonderful. What better way keep your friends near but keep your enemies closer. 

So far pure enjoyment but I’m at work alas and can’t finish reading . 

That's a good thought ... you will find out who they are ... eventually.  :D  It will wait for you rick.. !!

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

I keep looking at this story, through the eyes of one that has played a lot of Dungeons and Dragons, and loves fantasy. From gaming experience, you don't want to mess with intelligent weapons. Especially ones that are soulbound to the owner. I can easily see me playing in this story as a quest, and that is fantastic.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Brayon said:

I keep looking at this story, through the eyes of one that has played a lot of Dungeons and Dragons, and loves fantasy. From gaming experience, you don't want to mess with intelligent weapons. Especially ones that are soulbound to the owner. I can easily see me playing in this story as a quest, and that is fantastic.

i will take your word for it.. never played that game. I appreciate what you're saying though.

• Love 2
  • Site Moderator

On the way home on the train, I had a thought about a future power Keter might “develop”, and what he could/would do with said power. Of course, it’s all just conjecture (or wishful thinking) on my part, so Im not going to voice my theory. It’s best to let the story play out and see what happens. It would behoove me to write down this (possibly fanciful) theory lest I forget about it come The End...

• Love 3
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

On the way home on the train, I had a thought about a future power Keter might “develop”, and what he could/would do with said power. Of course, it’s all just conjecture (or wishful thinking) on my part, so Im not going to voice my theory. It’s best to let the story play out and see what happens. It would behoove me to write down this (possibly fanciful) theory lest I forget about it come The End...

Well, i'd be interested in hearing that because ... there is a tiny chance of a second story ...

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Site Moderator
Just now, Mikiesboy said:

Well, i'd be interested in hearing that because ... there is a tiny chance of a second story ...

Yeah, but if I’m wrong, and I probably am the more I work out the pertinent details. 

I really don’t think it would have any bearing on a second story, but I’m glad to hear that might come about.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1