21 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

The first chapter is like opening a gift and finding all these cool and interesting people.  So, I have to agree; it's definitely the last chapter that's the hardest.

I rarely know how the story will end until I'm close.  So far, I've been lucky to have an eureka moment when I needed one.

A good ending, for me, is crucial; it can make or break your story and the reader's experience.

The first chapter has to do some heavy lifting, no doubt about it. As far as starting a story and not knowing how it will end, I have to admit that makes me jealous. I don't need to know every detail going in, but if I don't have a very good idea of where I'm going, I find it difficult, or impossible, to start. Just a quirk of mine. 

• Like 5
21 hours ago, Wayne Gray said:

Hmm. I think ... it varies for me.

I'm sorry - I'm not trying to be difficult. But, for some stories, getting started is rough. You know what sort of tale you want to tell, and you have an idea of how it ends already, but you agonize over getting going. Because, you know the end. How will you get there? This was the case for me for Fleeting Eternity. Getting started was way harder because I knew how it ended. How do I make getting to the ending make sense when the path there is so traumatic? How do I start in the best way to arrive at this point?

Mostly, it's probably the end. But there are exceptions.

Good question. Nice post.

Thanks. Yes, sure, it varies for me too. I have an idea of how a story will end, and that's how I choose a beginning. I do my best to start as close to the end as possible. As formulas go, it hasn't let me down yet. 

• Like 5
21 hours ago, Krista said:

From a writing standpoint there is a lot of pressure placed on the beginning chapter. It is the chapter that is supposed to draw readers in. There isn't an end without a beginning, and a beginning can derail the ending if it isn't constructed well enough to carry the story.

With that said, I feel a ton more pressure ending a story than I do beginning one. Making it feel like a natural place to stop is not a strength that I have, and likely never will.

The meat of the story is always the fun place to be, when things are new... and you finally know where you're going. 

100% agreed on all of this. That piece that exists after the climax... yikes. Finding that perfect pace, length, and tone for the coda can be a bitch. 

• Like 5
18 hours ago, lawfulneutralmage said:

Having just finished my first real story with editor and beta reader, definitely the last chapter.  All clear in my mind, but apparently it was not :)

Ha! Sounds familiar. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
21 hours ago, Krista said:

I just start with action and dialog... and hope it comes across not so... scatter brained in the process. lol. That is what scares me about starting stories that requires even a pinch of world building to make sense within those opening scenes. And Sagging Middle Syndrome is a total yikes for a name.. but I like knowing what I'm suffering with when I'm at my wits end. :P

Sagging Middle Syndrome could be a name of a band. 🤣 Like writers who never finish their work, while the band plays halfway and never finishes their song. I'd pay to see that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
On 2/18/2024 at 12:13 AM, LJCC said:

That's why the middle is very problematic for most writers. It's a make-or-break thing because not everyone is willing to sacrifice their time and sanity to write about complicated plots, dialogues, and scenes. And in most novels, the middle part is where most of the meat is found. If it doesn't have drama, then you're just describing a BBC article about Russia's attempt to annex Ukraine.

I have to agree with this, that as @ReaderPaul and others have said, the hardest part of the novel is the middle. The beginning requires effort to pull in the readers, but you the author are bursting with the inspiration of the story you want to write. The end needs to be satisfying to tie everything together and leave the reader with a sigh and a sadness that the book has ended. But the middle, @LJCC said it all, it's where most would be authors give up, lost, tied in knots, meandering into a void of nothingness, or incoherent rambling.

Planning helps with the middle. Imagine starting out a journey from home, going to a place you've never been to before, you vaguely know where the place is but have very little idea on how to get there. You need a map and to plot a route, or you simply hope for the best and rely on spotting road signs, or you get modern and use GPS sat nav. In writing that's, a story plan, seat of the pants, or asking AI to write your story for you!

• Like 5