Ok, I haven't actually read it yet, but I just wanted to finally start one of these topics before someone else got a chance :P

Woohoo! My life goal is accomplished. I can now die happy.

:off: , I know.

*And now back to your Dom worshiping*

Joe

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, quick chapter posts. -- Haven't read it yet; but I will, of course.

The plot thickens.

Nah, that's after a blood-curdling yell by the boy in distress, or the pond scum thickening, or maybe after a double cheeseburger....

At least we now know who Frank is going to hook up with. Loved the scalp rub.

BTW I'm getting a little worried about Rudy's safety.

I dunno... despite the scalp rubbing and temporary hand-holding, I don't see a developing relationship. It was nothing like DD between Seth and Rory, it was more like a spiritual and protective connection than anything else... at least the way Frank described it felt like such.

I agree about Rudy's safety, and the safety of the whole family. I'll come right out (uncharacteristic, I know :funny: ) and say the mystery photographer is David (might still not be, but it sounds the most plausible to me right now). If that were the case, then it could be that David is documenting a new aspect of their existence... outsiders. They've never had them before, due to the extreme sheltering their parents give them. This could present a problem if he feels threatened that Oliver is getting cozy with them.

Of course, there IS one other person this photographer could be. We've heard descriptions of him, seen praise over him by the mother, and caution from Frank. He owns an old Ford. We've yet to meet Mr. Dron, who has been absent for all except the borrowing of his truck, and the passing of his house as Frank went into town. So far, Frank has had pretty good judgement (he knows that something isn't right at the Martin house, when others can't or won't see it), so it is entirely possible that his caution over Mr. Dron could translate into Mr. Dron actually being a pedophillic creep.

If it was David, you'd think Rudy would've yelled something along the lines of "Oliver's out there with a camera!" I think it's someone else. The mother's statement caught me as kind of odd:

"No," Mary replied. "Oliver and David... they're not the same. David is..."

"They're very close," Brian cut his wife off. "David wouldn't want to be away from his brother."

Hmmmmm...

:off:

I am getting a bit tired of the homeschool bashing. Yes, there are weirdos like this, just like there are bad public schools. Every objective, quantitative study of academic achievement shows homeschoolers, on average, out performing both their public school and private school counterparts.

Edited by Matthew

Oh yeah? Well my C student can beat up your honor roll student!

I love those bumper stickers lol.

His face seemed dirty at first, but upon closer inspection, Frank realized that it was as smooth as always, shining from the humidity, and the dark spots he could just barely make out looked like faded bruises.

I think that this would support thr theroy that Oliver and David are one person. David got beat by Mr. Martain at the end of chapter 3.

The corner of his mouth turned up in amusement.
Okay, I love this story, I am really getting hooked. Wonderful work Dom!

Kurt, after reading Chapter 4 I can officially admit I'm more that hooked.

I'm now bordering on being OBSESSED with TOSOM !

All I can say is ... dammit, Dom, after TOSOM 4, please don't make us wait too long for another update.

IMHO, this is your finest work yet...and demonstrates your definite versatiliy in writing.

WOW, ANOTHER LUKA EXTRAORDINARY STORY. THANK YOU, DOM ! :worship:

-- Al

I dunno... despite the scalp rubbing and temporary hand-holding, I don't see a developing relationship. It was nothing like DD between Seth and Rory, it was more like a spiritual and protective connection than anything else... at least the way Frank described it felt like such.

Come on!!!

While I agree it's nothing like Rory and what's his name, there is obvious attraction from Frank to both 'David' & 'Oliver'. Frank is probably just confused as to who he likes more. Wait till he finds out that he's going to get two for the price of one cause they are one and the same.

Vic

This is an intriguing - and confusing - story...shaping up as Dom's best yet.

It may be a while before we know if Oliver and David are identical twins or if Oliver has dissociative identity disorder. At the end of chapter 4 - where Dom left us hanging - Frank obviously thinks they are physical twins as he sets out chasing the shadowy photographer.

Many clues in the story fit with symptoms and causes of dissociative identity disorder: separate personalities controlling behavior, loss of memory, childhood trauma, etc. Dom has it all covered.

But, this could be misleading. Oliver told Frank that David is always in trouble. Perhaps David is trouble. He may responsible for drowned cats and dead frogs. He may be a voyeur. He may have pushed Oliver out the window. Or, Oliver could have a twin brother and multiple personalities we haven't met.

As for the title, The Other Side of Me, it adds to the mystery. It might not refer to Oliver/David personalities. The other side may be Frank's gay identity.

We don't know much yet. That Dom is a :devil: but we love him!

Edited by MikeL

Don't know.. I actually see the whole developing attraction to be a lot more genuine between Frank and Oliver, something else than the , uh, relationship between Rory and Seth which seemed kinda forced. To me anyway. Although I still loved Seth. And I'm happy TOSOM isn't all about relationships and such, it makes a lot more intriguing read.

Oh and the chicken reminds me of the movie The Mudge Boy (with Emile Hirsch), I wonder if Dom has watched it. The movie gave me the same kind of creepy feeling as this story anyway.

But I love it, love it love it love it! More than any other of Dom's stories, and I'm becoming obsessed with it, which is nice.

While I agree it's nothing like Rory and what's his name,
Hyyyy!!! <hyperventilates some> That's, that's, that's an outright blasphemy, that's what it is! Edited by abc
As for the title, The Other Side of Me, it adds to the mystery. It might not refer to Oliver/David personalities. The other side may be Frank's gay identity.

The references made to Frank's sexuality have been incredibly subtle until now. I'd say, too subtle for a seventeen year old. He simply can't be that innocent. Maybe Oliver and David mirror the two ides of Frank? Is Frank chasing his own doppelganger? We have had that before in literature. The story is intriguing.

Edited by DavyReader
While I agree it's nothing like Rory and what's his name,

Hyyyy!!! <hyperventilates some> That's, that's, that's an outright blasphemy, that's what it is!

I refuse to speaketh his name. If he had a member number, I would use that to refer to 'hat boy' :P

Vic

The references made to Frank's sexuality have been incredibly subtle until now. I'd say, too subtle for a seventeen year old. He simply can't be that innocent. Maybe Oliver and David mirror the two (s)ides of Frank? Is Frank chasing his own doppelganger? We have had that before in literature. The story is intriguing.

Aha! A very interesting idea. Endless possibilities in this story.

Is Dom writing from his own life experiences?

Or it might be like "The Log Way," in that you can't understand the title until you find out what letter is missing.