[Shadowgod] Living in Surreality

• Site Administrator
Nevertheless, Shadowgod----> :worship: But you are still a long way from making it to the top as a king!! :P CJ!!

The BeaStKid

I have to totally agree with you BeaStKid.

In LiS 26 we all knew it was going to happen, all of us didn't want it to happen, but anything other than a cliffhanger probably wouldn't have been appropriate.

Now, I must also point out that it took 26 chapters for Steve to give us a "huge" cliffhanger, opposed to a certain goat who is usually good for 2 out of 3 chapters containing one.

Also, I must admit, that I kind of like and expect cliffhangers from CJ, but with Steve it is more unlikely and when they do happen, it only makes the chapter that much better ( not a hundred percent sure how you make perfect better, but he does :D ).

I must now also clarify a post in another forum, that I'm sure CJ will manipulate and post in multiple places, surprisingly not in this one yet, I made the comment totally tongue in cheek.

Enjoy the rest of the story BeaStKid! :2thumbs:

Edited by wildone
  • Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally! A cliffhanger worthy of attention!! Wow! It was great! You must have guessed by now that I am a digger of cliffhangers!!

But, CJ.. you know what? That cliffie was somewhat predictable. I mean, Joanne was constantly fidgeting and the way the acceleration of the bike was depicted, it was straight out of a Bollywood action movie. Guess I've seen one too many of them to predict that something was wrong.

Nevertheless, Shadowgod----> :worship: But you are still a long way from making it to the top as a king!! :P CJ!!

The BeaStKid

But BK, you have to savor LiS 26 in context to fully appreciate the true depth of its cliffhangery superlativeness. LiS is based on an earlier version by Shadowgod, called "Failure of the Heart", in which he killed Jacob in this very same way, in Chapter one! So, there was that added dimension, based on the prior story, that JAcob wouldn't make it. Add to that the last time we see Jacob in the chapter, the words "one last and final time", are used, and you have one doozy of a cliffhanger. Indeed, the Mother of All Cliffhangers. For this reason, in addiction to his many other cliffies, is Shadowgod known and acclaimed as the

:king: King of Eeevil Cliffhangers :king:

In LiS 26 we all knew it was going to happen, all of us didn't want it to happen, but anything other than a cliffhanger probably wouldn't have been appropriate.

Now, I must also point out that it took 26 chapters for Steve to give us a "huge" cliffhanger, opposed to a certain goat who is usually good for 2 out of 3 chapters containing one.

Also, I must admit, that I kind of like and expect cliffhangers from CJ, but with Steve it is more unlikely and when they do happen, it only makes the chapter that much better ( not a hundred percent sure how you make perfect better, but he does :D ).

I must now also clarify a post in another forum, that I'm sure CJ will manipulate and post in multiple places, surprisingly not in this one yet, I made the comment totally tongue in cheek.

Steve! Surely you cannot disavow your words,

CJ, your a lurker, you never use cliffhangers, and you'd never use blackmail.

See? I never use cliffhangers! :P (Other than any Shadowgod might slip in during the beta, of course)

Shadowgod's cliffhangers are indeed enriching to the story, I never meant to claim otherwise. :)

He's just so good at it, that I feel the calling to spread the good word. :)

I did... truly a masterpiece!! Shadowgod---> :worship::worship::worship:

The epilogue was wonderful, got me all mushy! The ending was also perfect.... Great work!!

The BeaStKid

But BK, you have to savor LiS 26 in context to fully appreciate the true depth of its cliffhangery superlativeness. LiS is based on an earlier version by Shadowgod, called "Failure of the Heart", in which he killed Jacob in this very same way, in Chapter one! So, there was that added dimension, based on the prior story, that JAcob wouldn't make it. Add to that the last time we see Jacob in the chapter, the words "one last and final time", are used, and you have one doozy of a cliffhanger. Indeed, the Mother of All Cliffhangers. For this reason, in addiction to his many other cliffies, is Shadowgod known and acclaimed as the

:king: King of Eeevil Cliffhangers :king:

Steve! Surely you cannot disavow your words,

See? I never use cliffhangers! :P (Other than any Shadowgod might slip in during the beta, of course)

Shadowgod's cliffhangers are indeed enriching to the story, I never meant to claim otherwise. :)

He's just so good at it, that I feel the calling to spread the good word. :)

CJ...CJ....You have to bear in mind that I did not read the original!! So, the question of that added dimension doesn't even arise. I agree with Steve when he says that one should expect a cliffie from CJ. After reading FTL, if I don't find a cliffhanger in every third chapter in another one of CJ's stories, I'll cry blasphemy!!

But there's a difference between the two of you CJ and Steve correctly pointed it out. Throughout LiS, it was a lovey-dovey perfect setting with a few hiccoughs thrown in. The reader feels as though everything is going right for the protagonist and when he gets hit by an unforseen cliffie, that is where the fun in reading lies as far as Shadowgod is concerned.

I'll say it again... If it were someone else, the 'mother of all cliffhangers' as you call it, may have actually been the mother of 'em all. But for me, I caught those subtle signs and after years (17 to be precise) of watching Bollywood films and Indian soap-operas, it sort of comes as an ESP that something's gonna happen.

Now, as far as you are concerned, I'm expecting a cliffhanger from you. The anticipation of what more wrong can go after the previous one is what drives me (in your stories). Take Dan for example. If there is one 'all-perfect' chapter, I'll expect a MAJOR cliffhanger from him in the next one. And that anticipation is worth it.

With this, I hereby pronounce that, for me, Shadowgod is NOT the king of eevil cliffhangers.

I'll stop before I see a tomato coming in my direction to stop the rant! :P

The BeaStKid

I did... truly a masterpiece!! Shadowgod---> :worship::worship::worship:

The epilogue was wonderful, got me all mushy! The ending was also perfect.... Great work!!

The BeaStKid

CJ...CJ....You have to bear in mind that I did not read the original!! So, the question of that added dimension doesn't even arise. I agree with Steve when he says that one should expect a cliffie from CJ. After reading FTL, if I don't find a cliffhanger in every third chapter in another one of CJ's stories, I'll cry blasphemy!!

But there's a difference between the two of you CJ and Steve correctly pointed it out. Throughout LiS, it was a lovey-dovey perfect setting with a few hiccoughs thrown in. The reader feels as though everything is going right for the protagonist and when he gets hit by an unforseen cliffie, that is where the fun in reading lies as far as Shadowgod is concerned.

I'll say it again... If it were someone else, the 'mother of all cliffhangers' as you call it, may have actually been the mother of 'em all. But for me, I caught those subtle signs and after years (17 to be precise) of watching Bollywood films and Indian soap-operas, it sort of comes as an ESP that something's gonna happen.

Now, as far as you are concerned, I'm expecting a cliffhanger from you. The anticipation of what more wrong can go after the previous one is what drives me (in your stories). Take Dan for example. If there is one 'all-perfect' chapter, I'll expect a MAJOR cliffhanger from him in the next one. And that anticipation is worth it.

With this, I hereby pronounce that, for me, Shadowgod is NOT the king of eevil cliffhangers.

I'll stop before I see a tomato coming in my direction to stop the rant! :P

The BeaStKid

BK!!! I'm shocked, shocked I say, that you could possibly doubt Shadowgod as the King of Evil Cliffhangers! Why, did you know that if you google on "king of evil cliffhangers" the #1 link brings you right here to this very thread???

Besides, I never use cliffhangers... If any appear in FTL, it must be becuase Shadowgod adds them during the beta. I means, some of my chapters might, possibly, end in a slightly unresolved way, but surely not a cliffhanger? Not I!

In LiS 26, Shadowgod had his much-beloved protagonist, Jacob, in a motercycle wreck, and Shadowgod took great pains to make it look like Jacob was dead... I mean, he's showing the symptoms of collapsing lungs, AND when they load him into the ambulence, the very last we see of Jacob in that chapter is him wishing that he could see Matt, one last and final time

And THEN, we have Matt and Val getting the news in such a way that it appears they've been told he's dead... Now that has got to be the Mother of All Cliffhangers!

In contrast to that, there were only a few minor slightly tense chapter endings in FTL... The guys staked out in the sun, Steve barreling towards Piedmont and certain death with Chris behind him and no way to stop him, and then in the next-to-last chapter the Sheriff trying to ventilate Steve's head, his lifeless body falling to the ground, and with Chris about to get the second bullet.

And of course, Shadowgod is to blame for those anyway.

So All Hail the King of Evil Cliffhangers, Shadowgod! :worship:

In contrast to that, there were only a few minor slightly tense chapter endings in FTL... The guys staked out in the sun, Steve barreling towards Piedmont and certain death with Chris behind him and no way to stop him, and then in the next-to-last chapter the Sheriff trying to ventilate Steve's head, his lifeless body falling to the ground, and with Chris about to get the second bullet.

Yeah...Only a few!! :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...

*sigh* As was confirmed for me this weekend, ShadowGod's stories don't have nearly as many cliffhangers as the Goat's stories, if you count them Chapter by Chapter.

Oh and Shadowgod, I'm getting old. I made two notes to myself to e-mail you about liking Shot of Bourbon and this weekend I do a total disconnect when I could have told you in person. Sigh.

I blame it on the tequila and LittleBuddhaTW. It's all his fault.

*sigh* As was confirmed for me this weekend, ShadowGod's stories don't have nearly as many cliffhangers as the Goat's stories, if you count them Chapter by Chapter.

Oh and Shadowgod, I'm getting old. I made two notes to myself to e-mail you about liking Shot of Bourbon and this weekend I do a total disconnect when I could have told you in person. Sigh.

LOl no probs Dan, I had a absolutely great time at dinner, and the ensuing trip up to twin peaks.

• Site Administrator

DAMN! I was hoping this post by Shadowgod would be announcing the sequel to LiS....

I'm glad you guys had a good time, and it's even better to see someone other than Shadowgod being blamed for something. :P

• 3 weeks later...

:blink:

Dan, don't let them lead you astray! The claim that I have cliffhangers in my stories is pure fabrication! 0:)

how about a spin off? if that is palapable I am working on it ;)

Yes indeed!! I'll even reveal that the first chapter ends in an eeevil cliffhanger. And before Graeme makes me into a pincushion, I'll point out that with Shadowgod being the author, saying that the chapter will end in a cliffhanger is like saying that the sun will rise in the east.

:P

0:)

• 2 weeks later...

Loved this story though there were a couple of character swaps a couple of times in the story. (just confused me for a sec till i realized just the wrong name was used. :blink: ) Some of the time jumps kinda left me feeling like something was missed. :ph34r:

I will definately be reading more of ShadoGods writing. have read now the first two stories. :worship:

Thanks so much for putting your time and effort into these works of art.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to say that I finally read and finished reading Living in Surreality. I simply loved it. I'll say that the most touching part is the mural painting in Jacob's room at the end.

I'm also glad that Cody didn't go along and accept the money in exchange of meddling in Jacob and Matt's relationship.

Just wanted to say that I finally read and finished reading Living in Surreality. I simply loved it. I'll say that the most touching part is the mural painting in Jacob's room at the end.

I'm also glad that Cody didn't go along and accept the money in exchange of meddling in Jacob and Matt's relationship.

LiS is one of a few stories I would like to read again. It is definitely a good story. As for Cody, he is the main character in Dreams and Clipped Wings. You should read it. :)

I loved the mural painting too. Very symbolic and evocative.

Cody was great, but he didn't tell Jacob that he was being investigated. BTW, if you liked cody as much as I do, check out Shadowgod's new Dreams & Clipped wings, Cody is the central character. It's great, and we are already finding out a lot more regarding Cody and what makes him tick.

LiS is one of a few stories I would like to read again. It is definitely a good story. As for Cody, he is the main character in Dreams and Clipped Wings. You should read it. :)

Seconded. :)