• shorter than your ring finger
    • longer than your ring finger
    • the same length as your ring finger
  4. 4. Of the boys biologically born to your mother you are:

• the first born
    • the second born
    • the 3rd, 4th, etc.

Hi all,

Due to the recent discussion of these gay associated traits on the forums (see The Science of Gaydar and Lefty's) I thought it would be fun to take a poll.

Supposedly gay people are more likely than the average population to be left-handed and have counter clockwise hair swirls. Gay men are more likely than straight men to have index fingers closer in lenght or longer than their ring fingers, and supposedly the chances of a boy being gay rises with each older brother (born to his mother) that he has.

So what are your results?

I'm right handed, but mildly ambidextrous. I don't know my hair swirl (yet), my ring and index fingers are very close in length such that I can't really tell which is longer (maybe I'll measure eventually), and I'm the first and only boy born to either of my parents.

**Theoretically it would be best if only gay males responded to this poll, but please do post your answer if you're female, straight, or bisexual.

Take care all and have a great day!

Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace
  • Site Administrator

The hair one is difficult, especially for those of us folliclely challenged.... Also, you may want to clarify when you mean left or right hand for the ring/index finger question, because the fingers on my two hands are not the same length. My left hand clearly has my ring finger as longer, but on my right, they are almost the same length (with the ring finger being just a fraction longer).

Also, you may want to clarify when you mean left or right hand for the ring/index finger question, because the fingers on my two hands are not the same length. My left hand clearly has my ring finger as longer, but on my right, they are almost the same length (with the ring finger being just a fraction longer).

Hmmm, well I'm not sure which (if either) is supposed to be the one that determins. I guess on your dominant hand, but that's just a guess.

The hair one is difficult, especially for those of us folliclely challenged....

I know what you mean about the hair thing. When I had hair on the top of my head I did have a swirl but have no idea which way it went.

As for the other stuff, right handed, first born with index fingers longer than the ring finger on both hands.

Yeah... with the index and ring finger one, I just looked at my left hand, and they are very very close to the same length. After I voted, i read Graeme's comment and looked at my right (dominant) hand, and my ring finger is noticably longer than my index finger.

Hair swirls?

I am right handed, and the first, and only son to both of my parents.

This is a very interesting research you are doing Kevin.

Let me try to analyze this from a scientific point of view. The hypothesis being tested here is that gays' (natural) physical appearance is different from straights'. In order to test this hypothesis we need to choose two random and representative samples: (1) sample of gays and (2) sample of straights, and compare various features of their appearance. There are thousands of possible features we could look at: height, hair swirl, length of fingers, length and size of other body parts, etc. Once the various physical aspects were measured for each individual in sample 1 (gays) and sample 2 (straight), there are standard tests to determine if the differences between the samples are statistically significant.

Ideally, if the census also documented the sexual orientation and various measures of appearance, then we would be able to statistically test the hypothesis that gays and straights have certain differences in appearance. Given the limitations we are facing here on GA, I would try the following poll choices, to compare the fraction of left handed:

1. gay, Left-handed

2. gay, Right-handed

3. gay, Ambidextrous

4. straight, Left-handed

5. straight, Right-handed

6. straight, Ambidextrous

If I had these data, I could test the hypothesis that the fraction of left handed among gays is statistically greater than among straights.

Kevin presented an interesting challenge. :2thumbs:

Michael.

Theoretically it would be best if only gay males responded to this poll, but please do post your answer if you're female, straight, or bisexual.

Why do I feel like my vengence is being quenched? :devil::lmao:

Well, for my hair, i said I don't know. My hair quite bizarre. :wacko: My fingers... My index is longer than ring fingers for both hands. I'm right handed and the only son and first born of my parents.

So how gay am i? :D

Ieshwar

**Theoretically it would be best if only gay males responded to this poll, but please do post your answer if you're female, straight, or bisexual.

Take care all and have a great day!

Kevin

What if we don't know what we are? (some tell me I'm gay... I just don't believe it)

Anyway, the only one I am not in the majority for is the dominant hand.

What if we don't know what we are? (some tell me I'm gay... I just don't believe it)

Anyway, the only one I am not in the majority for is the dominant hand.

As I said in the previos post we need two samples: one of gays and one of straights. Now that you mentioned another possibility of "not sure", it can be included as well. If we have big enoguh sample of not sure, we will be able to test the hypothesis that there are phisical differences between gays, starights and "not sure".

But we definitely cannot test anythig with just one sample of gays, or a mixed sample of gays straights, and others. If you are familiar with hypothesis testing in ststistics, there are standard tests for differences in proportions. So we need to compare proportions of left handed among gays with the proportion of left handed among other groups, etc.

Hugs,

Michael.

• Site Moderator

I'm right handed.

The swirl is clockwise.

My index finger is shorter. It doesn't matter which hand I look at, they both appear to be the same length.

I am the first born son.

• 2 years later...

I'm right handed but as a child I used my left hand ocasionally and I use my left hand for things that I should use my right hand for like opening bottles :S

My hair swirls clockwise except I'm sure it swirled counter-clockwise when I was younger :S

I'm freaky in that on one hand my index finger is longer and on the other hand the ring finger is longer :S

And I'm the 2nd born out of 3 so right in the middle :S

What the hell?! I think that means I'm 50/50.... :o It's true!

Left handed, Clockwise (what Hair I have left. nyeh.) My index finger and ring finger on both hands are the same length (give or take), and I'm the 2nd born son, but the 3rd child. (If we're not counting half-siblings, then i'm the oldest of the 2nd litter, I have a younger brother)

I use my right hand for things I should use my left hand for, so I'm mildly ambidextrous. I can also write with my right hand, but it looks like crap so I don't.

I'm left handed, I guess Im a little ambidextrous but that is because I paint with my right hand.... but I don't count it considering everything else I do is left handed. No idea about my hair, and my ring finger is considerably longer than my index finger. It's noticeable from space. XD

Well, I consider myself ambidextrous. There are certain things I can do with either hand. I'm not even bad at writing with my left hand, though I prefer the right. There are some things I prefer doing with the left, some of which I do not care to mention. My hair seems more counter clockwise in any wave activity, so that's what I chose. My index finger is shorter than my ring finger. I was the first and only child born to my mother. So I was the first, the middle, and the last. I chose first though. :P

-Right Handed

-Index and ring are same length (I think)

-Don't know about the hair.

-First born (of 2 boys)

Doesn't being born first make you like twice as likely to be gay or something like that? I think I heard that on TV once, but I can't remember.

Edited by TetRefine

I'm right handed, my index and ring finger are the same length on both hands. I don't know about the hair but I think its clockwise, I'm the second of two boys born to my mother.

I had an article saved on her at one time ont eh physical difference between straight males and gay males that delt with a lot of the stuff in this post. I'll see if I can't find it.

NightOwl88

I am SO left-handed! I might as well not even have a right hand.

My hair is clockwise, counter clockwise, and every other direction - it's just a mess of curls.

The fingers in question are the same size - on both hands.

I'm the third son of four boys. The survivor of a set of twins - also supposedly a trait for a tendency to be gay. The 3rd child of six.

Well...

I am kind of right handed... although I write with both hands and my handwriting is better with my left but I write more quickly with my right... which actually could explain the handwriting. Also I eat left handed and catch just as easily with both.

My hair goes clockwise

I am the third child... the second surviving one.

My index finger is shorter on my left hand and longer on my right.

I guess I was born to be bi :)