Getting your story noticed!

After chatting with Kitty tonight, and reading Nickolasjames' blog entry about his frustration with the Story Announcements changes, eFiction site, and getting his stories noticed, I thought I'd start this thread and share some of what I've learned about getting your stories noticed. Hopefully it will be of some assistance to mainly newer authors, but also to older authors (that doesn't necessarily mean age! :P ) who want more people to read their stories -- and who doesn't want that, right?

1) Get a good editor. If your story is well-written, people will tend to like it more! That may seem like stating the obvious, but a lot of people don't seem to get that little trick. I think "How to find a good editor" deserves a thread of its own. An "editor" is not just one of your net buddies or fans who agrees to read through it for you and give you a little feedback and maybe point out a couple of spelling mistakes. So finding a GOOD editor, one who knows what they're doing and has experience -- either in the 'real' world or with net fiction -- is crucial.

2) Promote yourself! If you're just posting your stories in the eFiction section of the site here, you're really limiting yourself. Start posting your stuff at Nifty. You'll reach a much wider audience there, and will get even more feedback. Once you start getting a "fanbase," you can also start up a Yahoo! group, or maybe even your own small page at Geocities or somewhere (all of these things are free and easy to do). When you submit new chapters to Nifty, link back to the eFiction section and encourage your readers to come to GA and discuss your story in the Story Cafe forum.

3) Be dedicated! If you really like writing and feel like you have something important and special that you'd like to share with others, then stick to it. Keep to a writing schedule, a regular posting schedule, and be active. Interact with your readers, solicit feedback, encourage your readers to be active, cross-promote, and put your story out there in as many places as possible for people to see it.

Anywho, those are just a few suggestions off the top of my head, and all of them have worked for me. I only started writing in February of this year, and I don't think I'm that good of a writer, but I had a goal in mind (getting as many people as possible to read my story and give me feedback), and I stuck to it.

I think the Writer's Forum could be an excellent place for some of our talented, up and coming authors at GA to share ideas, experiences, solicit opinions, etc. So don't be shy ... join in the fray! :D

*Hugz*

Buddha

• Like 1

[2) Promote yourself! If you're just posting your stories in the eFiction section of the site here, you're really limiting yourself. Start posting your stuff at Nifty. You'll reach a much wider audience there, and will get even more feedback. Once you start getting a "fanbase," you can also start up a Yahoo! group, or maybe even your own small page at Geocities or somewhere (all of these things are free and easy to do). When you submit new chapters to Nifty, link back to the eFiction section and encourage your readers to come to GA and discuss your story in the Story Cafe forum.

I have considered Nifty, as I have been reading stories on that site for years. I have not posted on Nifty frankly because so many of the stories I have read on that site are so sloppy - poor grammar, worse spellling, and just plain carelessness seems to be the order of the day at Nifty. There are, of course, many exceptions to that rule. After much soul-searching, I chose to present my efforts among more illustrious company, ie RCWP and this site.

Wow, thats pretty cool......I never even heard of it before. I think I'm gonna submit a story. I see about 6 authors (Including you) that I know about :)

Fine. Just realize that the board is mostly a one-woman operation, and it may be a while before Mary is able to reply.

I'm pretty much against posting my stuff at Nifty, but I went ahead and sent in the first chapter of My Jump Off :( because I think it's true that I can get more readers that way. I just think Nifty's a sleazy place and the stories are mostly garbage. But, when you're options are none, you have to do what you have to do.

I already have a yahoo group linked to my page. The link to the page is in my sigi and the button to join is on the page too. (Shameless self promotion)

As David pointed out, posting at Nifty is also a good way to attract attention for your stories from a very big pool of people. Having a yahoo group can be a good way of doing this, too. Then you can bring the readers to your main site to develop your readership.

Kitty

edited to add: Of course, we'd appreciate it if you'd post chapters here at GA first, with a lag time for posting at Nifty.

I picked up the vast majority of my readers from nifty. In fact, it was the only place I was posting until a member convinced me to visit GA and myr offered a space of my own. The lag time is also an excellent idea. I think I'll start doing that...

I'm pretty much against posting my stuff at Nifty, but I went ahead and sent in the first chapter of My Jump Off :( because I think it's true that I can get more readers that way. I just think Nifty's a sleazy place and the stories are mostly garbage. But, when you're options are none, you have to do what you have to do.

I already have a yahoo group linked to my page. The link to the page is in my sigi and the button to join is on the page too. (Shameless self promotion)

You know, there are hundreds of readers over at nifty who are craving great stories. I don't see why you would want to pick and choose where your stories are posted, as long as they are posted in their entirety and readers know who you are, and where they can find your other stuff. A reader is a reader no matter where he found your stuff, or what else he reads. The more quality stories that get flooded into nifty, the higher the quality of writing. I don't really understand the logic of not posting somewhere just cause the other stories are garbage. Other stories don't have any effect on what you've written. Sounds almost arrogant to me. Lets face it, as an author, we can't be picky and choosy. Especially if you're trying to promote yourself... Besides, maybe you can draw some of them away from the dark side!!! ;)

Of course, this is all just my opinion.

hugz,

db :wub:

Some nice tips under this topic, I've been thinking about posting to nifty. Only up to this point in my writing sexuality hasn't really played a part in the plot. I have friends and family readin g my story as well, none of whom know about me so I'm in no hurry to bring a gay element into the story even though I have made notes and thought of some plot ideas. Anyway nice tips guys.

If you take a look at my signature you'll see I've taken some of the advice already.

Warning....the following post may cause some long time readers to faint. Please use caution while viewing the text below

I admit it, I was wrong....did I just say that??? Posting my story on Nifty was one of the best ideas ever.....I got like 250 hits on my page(see link below) in one day :) I already sent in the next chapter, but I'm kinda hoping that it doesn't get posted for a few more days. :)

I noticed the first chapter of your story posted on Nifty. Good job, Lostone! :great:

My story is up at nifty as well and I've been getting a lot of feedback as well as a couple new members to my yahoo group. Made sure to mention GA. :great:

My story is up at nifty as well and I've been getting a lot of feedback as well as a couple new members to my yahoo group. Made sure to mention GA. :great:

Excellent job, Empathy! :great: I hope more of our up and coming authors will follow the lead of you, Lostone, and Nicko ... not only to get your stories noticed, but to bring in more people to GA ... it not only helps the individual authors, but the whole community as well.

*Hugz*

Buddha

Excellent job, Empathy! :great: I hope more of our up and coming authors will follow the lead of you, Lostone, and Nicko ... not only to get your stories noticed, but to bring in more people to GA ... it not only helps the individual authors, but the whole community as well.

*Hugz*

Buddha

Definitely I link back to GA every time I post.

Well, I not so sure about "up and coming" but I will follow LB's lead and link my GA story page at the end of my Nifty editions. :D Also, I've modified my signature on Awesome Dude to link back to GA.

One final thought: all hosted authors should assure that, somewhere on their official story page, there is a button to click that allows the reader to go to the "Other Hosted Authors" page.

Best,

Jack B)

One final thought: all hosted authors should assure that, somewhere on their official story page, there is a button to click that allows the reader to go to the "Other Hosted Authors" page.

Best,

Jack B)

I couldn't agree more. I like to think of GA as an online family...one I want to support :D

• 2 weeks later...

I hope I don't get in hot water for posting this, as I'm not supposed to be able to read here let alone post here (I think a glitch during the main board redesign let me in) but I wanted to chime in on this thread.

I'm attempting to get started in the world of online writing. I've sent in a submission for the summer anthology, and I have a couple of multi-chapter stories underway (just a few chapters of each, so far) that no one has seen. Therefor, this topic is of extreme interest to me. I was originally planning on the e-fiction route, but I will definitely add Nifty to that.

I've learned a lot from the suggestions above, as indeed I have from the other threads here (especially the chapter length one! That solved a major problem for me!). However, one issue I don't see addressed directly is whether or not to have a Yahoo group (for Authors without a forum)? Is it advisable? I've heard that several of the top authors here had Yahoo groups prior to becoming hosted at GA (hence, my curiosity). Or, would a thread in the story cafe be a better option (for readers mainly from Nifty)? Or would both be better?

Ugh, I've just realized that it's rather silly of me to ask a question here, as I'm unlikely to be able to get in again to see any replies. However, this might be of interest to others, so I'll post this anyway.

I'd also like to say "Thanks!" to everyone posting in this forum, for all the great advice on writing that I've found in the various threads.

CJ

I've got a yahoo group, and I think it was one of the best ideas I had. I actually used to have my own forum, but it was super wack. It was free, and the saying you get what you pay for was definitely right in that case. It was quite possibly the gayest server in the whole history of the United States of America. Just be sure to advertise your yahoo group on your homepage, and advertise your homepage wherever you post your stories

I hope I don't get in hot water for posting this, as I'm not supposed to be able to read here let alone post here (I think a glitch during the main board redesign let me in) but I wanted to chime in on this thread.

I'm attempting to get started in the world of online writing. I've sent in a submission for the summer anthology, and I have a couple of multi-chapter stories underway (just a few chapters of each, so far) that no one has seen. Therefor, this topic is of extreme interest to me. I was originally planning on the e-fiction route, but I will definitely add Nifty to that.

I've learned a lot from the suggestions above, as indeed I have from the other threads here (especially the chapter length one! That solved a major problem for me!). However, one issue I don't see addressed directly is whether or not to have a Yahoo group (for Authors without a forum)? Is it advisable? I've heard that several of the top authors here had Yahoo groups prior to becoming hosted at GA (hence, my curiosity). Or, would a thread in the story cafe be a better option (for readers mainly from Nifty)? Or would both be better?

Ugh, I've just realized that it's rather silly of me to ask a question here, as I'm unlikely to be able to get in again to see any replies. However, this might be of interest to others, so I'll post this anyway.

I'd also like to say "Thanks!" to everyone posting in this forum, for all the great advice on writing that I've found in the various threads.

CJ

I've only got one story that I've went public with at the moment and I've posted it to Nifty and got a large amount of feedback, 30+ emails and several people have joined my yahoo group. For authors without your own forum it's a great way to make sure that people interested in the story know about updates and news and thus can give you more feedback.

I've got a yahoo group, and I think it was one of the best ideas I had. I actually used to have my own forum, but it was super wack. It was free, and the saying you get what you pay for was definitely right in that case. It was quite possibly the gayest server in the whole history of the United States of America. Just be sure to advertise your yahoo group on your homepage, and advertise your homepage wherever you post your stories

Thanks!

I see that I'll need a homepage, too. Fortunatly I can do HTML, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Good point on linking a homepage from the story, and linking from there to a yahoo group or forum: That way you can change the location of the discussion group without changing every page of every story at every published location.

I've only got one story that I've went public with at the moment and I've posted it to Nifty and got a large amount of feedback, 30+ emails and several people have joined my yahoo group. For authors without your own forum it's a great way to make sure that people interested in the story know about updates and news and thus can give you more feedback.

Thanks... I'll give it a try when I start publishing my multi-chapter story.

Edit to add: Not now that I've read Nifty's license agreement!

• 4 weeks later...