Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 3,136 Words
  • 4,037 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Underground: Blinded - 14. Adoption?

The only people who’ve ever wanted me in my life have been the police, rival gangs, or the saints but now…now things are different. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure the police and other gangs would still love to see my head on a stick…and the saints, as bad as they probably want me back, well there’s no honor amongst thieves. But these people, this family…they don’t want to hurt me, and they don’t make me feel like I owe them anything…instead they just keep giving to me…they keep taking care of me.

“Cy” Walter let out, finally putting aside all the emotions he had been feeling “We can start the adoption process as soon as possible, but it could still takes anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.” I nodded along with his words, still trying to process the moment myself “Is there anything you think can delay the process?”

“My record.” I shrugged finally looking up at him.

He thought it over, taking a long look at the tattoo on my arm “You’ve already served time, and struck a deal to get out of said time…still, we’ll hire the best lawyer we can find to guarantee your past doesn’t catch up to your present.” He looked to his wife as an unspoken conversation took place.

“Cy dear” she carefully began as another question came to their minds “Your birth father…do you know where he is?”

My eyes quickly drifted away as I shook my head “I don even know who he is, bet he doesn even know bout me.”

“You know…” Walter began as he let out a deep breath “Digging through all of this…well we might find things you don’t want to know.”

“Like what?” I mumbled still looking away.

“You’re birth father might’ve signed your birth certificate, and if he did we have to get him to waive his parental rights.” Walter informed starting to explain the reality of the situation “and if something happened to him, then his parents might still want rights.”

“Can’t we jus tell em no?” I grunted “It’s not like they know me.”

“I wish we could.” He forced a smile and tried to make eye contact “Do you know what hospital you were born in?”

I shrugged and thought it over “Probably St. Bernard’s, that’s where the L lets out.”

“Okay.” He nodded “We’ll start to gather your records, and put together the case.” I felt my foster parent’s eyes fall on me “For now don’t worry about any of it, you’ll be adopted in no time…we can’t put into words how excited we are to have you.”

I nodded and took a deep breath, finally looking up at them “Can I…is it cool if I keep Walker?”

“Of course buddy” Walter answered before anyone had time to question it. I could tell that he understood. The name…I have to make it mean something, whether I like it or not that’s the blood that flows in my veins, and well…it’s time to clean it up.

“Let’s go play something.” Aaron smile tapping me on the back as he headed towards the game room. I shrugged my shoulders and followed him along, looking forward to the change of atmosphere. “What in the world did Carter say to you?” Aaron poked as we finally got into the large playroom.

“Nothin.” I muttered taking a seat next to him on the couch. I looked around and shook my head…I’m going to live here…this is going to be my house. Don’t get me wrong I’m not asking them to adopt me because they’re rich, but when you’re 15 and your foster family has a room like this…well it’s a pretty sweet bonus.

“Oh come on!” he laughed “He had to say something!”

“He just said I should chase after what I want.” I shrugged, seeing happiness jumping in his eyes “Stop” I sighed “Don’t turn this into somethin.”

“But it is something.” He smiled holding onto his happiness “You’re going to be adopted! You’re going to be my brother!”

“We don know that yet.” I mumbled trying to bring him back to reality “I only asked. A lot could still go wrong.”

“Don’t think like that.” Aaron shifted a little in his seat, letting my negativity hit him “Trust me, we’ll get you the right lawyer and everything will be fine. Maybe you can even have the CASA I had.”

“A what?” I looked over at him and shook my head.

“They’re like people that help kids get adopted, they figure out what’s best for you.” He explained still smiling.

I rolled my eyes and grabbed a controller off the coffee table in front of us “Didn you get adopted like forever ago?”

“Yeah when I was a baby.” He laughed trying to recall any of it “To be honest sometimes I forget I’m adopted.”

“Then you don think about it?” I let out starting to gain some interest in the topic.

“No” he shook without hesitating “Do you?”

“Sometimes” I confessed “How can I not? What if my birth dad…what if…maybe he’s not a bad guy.” I sighed holding onto whatever hope I had.

Aaron nodded understanding where I was coming from…understanding the hole that comes with not knowing your parents “I know you’re not going to like hearing this…but these are your parents now.” He quickly forced eye contact with me, not giving me time to think about it “They’re not trying to replace your birth ones…but they’ll be here for you no matter what…they’ll love you no matter what. Blood or not…we’re your family Cy, you’ve said it before, anyone can have a kid, but it takes someone special to be a mom and dad.” I took in a deep breath as I absorbed his words “Just…let it all happen.”

I nodded appreciating is words, appreciating the time he was investing in me “Alright, enough of that, let’s play somethin.”

“Okay but no throwing controllers.” Aaron warned staring me down.

“What the hells that mean?” I shouted as he finally put on the tv.

He laughed to himself and put his attention towards the big screen “It means I know you, and I know you’ll be the type of person to throw controllers.”

I tried my best to hide a guilty smile and shook my head “You’re stupid.”

The rest of the weekend flew by in a flash. It felt like I was finally starting to understand everything…like I had finally got it. Even school was starting to get a little easier, I mean it’s not like I was enjoying it…but at least I was getting the grip of everything around me.

“So…” I let out, having finally gotten Carter alone for the first time all gym period “I ugh…”

“You ughhh…” he mimicked, doing his best to help me find comfort.

I felt my heart beat grow stronger as I looked into his eyes. “I…uhm…I asked Nancy and Walter to adopt me.” I forced out, feeling my heart jump to my throat.

“You did what?” Carter gasped with wide eyes “Oh my god Riley!” he yelped “You…what?” I fought off a smile and nodded “I…I’m so happy for you!” he moved his mouth around trying to hide the emotions from the news “So you’ll be around then?”

“That’s the idea.” I shrugged fighting a smile of my own “but it’s not certain, things can still go wrong.”

“Don’t think about that…worst comes to worst…well my dad has leverage with the Chicago legal systems.” He offered taking a deep breath “We’ll get your adoption through.” I gratefully nodded, finding it harder and harder to fight off the smile “Hey coach Murray!” Carter shouted

“No! No!” I yelped “Carter!”

“Just because you don’t want to brag about it doesn’t mean I won’t.” he teased, letting his excitement get the better of him.

“Yes?” Coach asked, beginning to walk over.

“Cy and his foster parents are starting the adoption process.” Carter proudly exhaled “He’s going to be around for a while.”

“Oh yeah?” Coach smiled “So you’re going to be a pain in my ass for 3 years instead of just this 1?”

“Probably.” I shrugged not knowing if it was a compliment or not.

“Good” he let out patting me on the back “You’re a lucky kid, not many people get the opportunity you’re getting, make the most of it.”

“I will.” I nodded growing serious.

“Yes you will.” He supported “If I can help in anyway just let me know. If you don’t mind me asking, who are your foster parents?”

“Walter and Nancy James, their son Aaron…” I started to explain but before I could finish Coach began to laugh.

“Of course you’re going to be Walter’s son.” He breathed through laughter “He’s a great man. You’ll have big shoes to fill.”

“Oh yeah, I forgot you guys know each other.” I let out remembering Walter’s offer from when I had first tried out.

He nodded his head “Yes we do, he’s funded a lot of nonprofit camps in the Southside, like I said, big shoes.”

“He’s really like that?” I poked, surprised by the news.

“Oh yeah” Coach exhaled “Ask him about it, I’m sure he’ll explain it better than I can, and make sure to tell him I say hi.”

“I will.” I smiled as he began to walk back towards the stage.

Carter bumped me with his shoulder and smiled “See, that wasn’t so bad now was it?”

“Boys! Finish your laps!” another coach shouted “This isn’t Starbucks!”

The next few days flowed on, but I couldn’t find the courage to ask Walter about his work in the Southside…what if he’s heard about me…what if he knows more than he lets on? I played dumb and went on with school until Wednesday night, when I finally got my first taste of what varsity basketball was going to be like.

There I stood in the gym wearing my black and gold jersey, proudly flashing Aarons old Jordan’s. Nancy offered to get me new ones, but I have these…why would I need new ones?

“It’s a scrimmage” Carter explained brushing shoulders with me “Don’t be surprised if you sit until the fourth.”

“What?” I asked, snapping back to reality “Why would I sit? I’m the best point guard on the team.”

“You still have to earn the starting spot” he shrugged pointing for me to get into the warm up lines.

Whatever…this game doesn’t count for anything anyway. I shook off the warning and warmed up just like everyone else…taking it as serious as everyone else. As the first, second and third quarter wound down Carter’s warning became true, but the second the fourth quarter started Coach Murray grabbed me by the Jersey and pulled me to my feet. “Down by 30, you have anything to say about that?” he provoked.

“I got a gap to close.” I nodded, giving him the right answer. It would’ve been easy to complain, easy to give him attitude, easy to say that he should’ve been playing me, but since when do I take the easy way out?

“Alright, we’re playin early offense ball.” I commanded walking into the huddle.

“We’re down by 30” Curtis muttered, staring at the score board.

“Did I ask that?” I clicked showing leadership “We down, we can close it, get your shit together.”

“Who died and left you leader?” one of the other new players asked, not sure whether to listen to me or not.

I flashed him an angry look as the huddle began to break apart “ball flows through me, so I call the shots. Lets go!”

Just like that the quarter started, and the ball was inbounded to me. Like every time before this, the second the ball hit the court, well…confidence filled me. I started to send other players flying, crossing them up with moves they only thought were possible from NBA players. One by one I began to knock down my shots, showing there was no quit in my game. There were even a few times I faked the other team so bad that my own teammates fell for it. We were still down by a good 15 points, but you wouldn’t know it by the way I played, by how hard I was working. I was born to play basketball, and I was determined to let it show. The kid with one eye… the one the other team was laughing at before the game…well I was the only one left laughing.

I shook my head as the buzzer sounded, realizing that my effort wasn’t enough to regain the lead. I swear, if coach would’ve subbed in Carter at some point during the fourth things would’ve been different…but he wanted to see how I think…to see how I would react.

“Someone wants more minutes.” Coach remarked as I made it back to the bench, trying my hardest to catch my breath.

I took another second to breathe before looking up at him “I do.”

“Well it’ll be hard not to give you more after that.” He encouraged “Keep grinding like that and you’ll earn yourself a big role.”

“Keep grindin like that and you’ll give us all heart attacks” Curtis exhaled, falling into one of the seats “Man, why was I the only starter left playin in the fourth?”

“Because you could use the workout.” Coach teased done with the conversation.

“Hey Cy.” A female voice greeted from behind the bench “You played great today.”

I sucked my teeth and refused to turn around “Go away Nicole.”

“but you still have to show me that song.” She insisted, staying right behind me.

“I don’t gotta show you nothin.” I grumbled “I’m tired, would you just beat it already?”

“Okay.” She giggled “You play hard to get all you want, I’m not going anywhere.”

“God” I groaned shaking my head “Will she ever leave me be?”

“Nope” Carter giggled walking over “She’s going to chase you until you graduate.”

“I would show her much more than a song.” Curtis remarked watching as she walked away.

“Go for it” I shrugged.

He looked from her to me but hesitated “Nah man, that’s your girl.”

“It’s cool, I don want her.” I insisted trying to show I was being honest.

“Nah, I don want to step on your toes or anything.” He let up “She’s yours.”

“I aint interested, if you want to miss out that’s on you.” I exhaled done with the conversation.

“I don’t get it?” Carter laughed “Cys being serious.”

“Where we’re from, you don’t go after another man’s girl, even if he doesn’t want her.” Cam interrupted, joining in on the conversation “Especially not la culebra’s.”

“This ain’t the Southside.” I frusrtatedly assured “Shoot your shot.”

“Nah I’m good.” Curtis nervously laughed, wanting out of the conversation just as bad as me.

“La Culebra?” Carter repeated staring at me.

I shrugged refusing to answer the question. “The snake, but where we’re from they mean it as serpent” Cam translated “It’s what the rival gangs call Cy.”

“Why’s that?” Carter poked with a tilt of his head.

“Cut it.” I snarled staring him down.

Cam raised his eyebrows, but showed no fear “Cause he can sneak in on, tempt you, then leave you for dead all in one movement.”

“That’s not what snakes do.” Carter giggled in an attempt to laugh off the nickname.

Curtis stood up, finally done packing his bag “In the Southside serpents don’t refer to snakes.” He remarked making his way to the door.

Cam pointing towards his friend and nodded “Good game boys, I’ll catch ya tomorrow.”

He stopped by me and quickly shook my hand “Catch ya.”

“Why can’t we have a handshake like that?” Carter smiled, hiding from what he had been told.

“Cause we ain’t cool like that.” I teased with a sigh “Don’t listen to them…that nickname was made from fear.”

“Well you must’ve done something to create fear.” Carter exhaled finally acknowledging the conversation. I shrugged and put my attention to my bag “And being compared to the devil…well it must’ve been something awful.”

“It wasn’t.” I lied trying my best to play innocent “You break into enough buildings, and you piss off the right people…well they find ways to motivate others into huntin you down.” I exhaled” Just so happens their motivation for me was fear.”

Carter nodded trusting my words “If you’re lying to me I’ll break your fingers.”

“Is that a threat or a promise.” I teased with a laugh.

“Cy!” Nancy called out finally making her way down from the bleachers “You played so great tonight!”

“Yeah yeah” I muttered trying to avoid all the attention.

She looked me up and down as I packed my bag “Where are your glasses? The woman at the store told you they’re to be worn at all times.”

“Nancy!” I groaned embarrassed by how she was talking to me in front of Carter.

“Yeah, where are your glasses?” Carter provoked beginning to sway back and forth.

I let out a long sigh before digging into my backpack and pulling out the thick black pair. “There, happy now?” I muttered placing them onto my face. Instantly my vision cleaned up, and I could fully see all the small details I had been missing out on…something that made me more uncomfortable than relieved.

Surprise filled Carter’s face as he turned to hide the blush form Nancy “Watch the attitude young man” she lectured “but yes, much better.” She remarked walking towards the door “Now come on, you have to do homework and shower.”

“Yeah you have to do homework and shower.” Carter teased still trying to hide his blush.

“Shut up.” I mumbled “After getting to actually see you, you’re lucky I’m not leavin you.”

“Hey!” He yelped “What’s that supposed to mean?”

I giggled and raised my eyebrows as I walked by him. My cleaned up vision…it only made it harder to hide a smile when our eyes connected, that rosy face of his with those hazel eyes…it’s just…it’s something. “You tell me.” I shrugged.

“Those glasses make you look cute.” He teased trying to even the score.

I looked back and smiled “The maybe you need to borrow them.”

“Hey!” he laughed, enjoying the moment just as much as me.

As I heard the gym door close behind me I couldn’t help but let out a sigh of relief…that was close…I have to be more careful…Cam almost ripped open a can of worms on me! If Carter would’ve heard the stories they’ve heard…well I don’t think Aaron was lying when he said he’d never talk to me again…I need to find a way to burry this, to make it all just disappear.

Copyright © 2018 Aceinthehole; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

 It was nice to see the coach loosen up a little. Hoping that he'll give Cy a fair chance. Without throwing his past in his face. 
 Although, this chapter had Cy reliving his past. Every time this kid tries to move ahead, his old life is their to remind him. 
 Will Cy ever really be given a second chance. It only seems like his new family and Carter are on his side. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
35 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

 It was nice to see the coach loosen up a little. Hoping that he'll give Cy a fair chance. Without throwing his past in his face. 
 Although, this chapter had Cy reliving his past. Every time this kid tries to move ahead, his old life is their to remind him. 
 Will Cy ever really be given a second chance. It only seems like his new family and Carter are on his side. 

Unfortunately it seems like no matter where he goes his past haunts him. The notoriety he so desperately craved as a saint, is now biting him in the ass. Who knows, maybe it'll take him doing something equally as big to cover up who he once was.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I'm glad Cy finally realised that the Saints isn't where he really wants to be. Things are starting to look up for Cy, but his past is catching up to him.  If it's not the cops it's the others from the Southside.

I'd worry about Carter if I were Cy.  Carter isn't the type to give up and every time someone says anything about Cy he gets even more curious.

I wouldn't be surprised if Carter goes to Curtis and Cam for answers, and they won't think twice about telling him all the know on the old Cy.

I see a lot of trouble ahead for Cy if this continues.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Shadow086 said:

I'm glad Cy finally realised that the Saints isn't where he really wants to be. Things are starting to look up for Cy, but his past is catching up to him.  If it's not the cops it's the others from the Southside.

I'd worry about Carter if I were Cy.  Carter isn't the type to give up and every time someone says anything about Cy he gets even more curious.

I wouldn't be surprised if Carter goes to Curtis and Cam for answers, and they won't think twice about telling him all the know on the old Cy.

I see a lot of trouble ahead for Cy if this continues.

Sometimes I think you guys know me too well ;). I'm happy you guys are so invested in this!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..