Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 3,087 Words
  • 4,124 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Underground: Blinded - 18. The United Center

The rest of the ride home was quiet as we all tried to piece together everything that was happening. I know I had thrown a curveball at them when I asked to meet David Walker…but it’s just something I need to do. Every now and again Nancy would look back at me to see how I was doing…to see if I was okay. I’ve never felt anything like it, but I actually feel bad for the way she’s looking at me…I feel guilty that she’s worried. I took a deep breath as we finally pulled up into the familiar driveway and watched her slowly make her way into the house.

“She understands.” Walter nudged seeing the concern on my face “She’s just a natural worrier…she worried about you before you even arrived.

“How long did ya’ll know bout me?” I poked looking up at him.

He thought over his answer carefully before looking down at me “Since your posters went up…that’s when we knew we had to take you in.”

“So you did it for the publicity then?” I lead not even believing it myself.

“Of course not.” He quickly rejected “We…I saw through how fake that project was…saw how you were being taken advantage of, and well…I did some research on you, took it to Nancy, and a few weeks later you were on our door step.”

“How did you know I wasn’t gonna be trouble?” I poked slightly surprised by the story.

He shrugged his shoulders and kept walking “Nancy said she had a good feeling about you…mother’s intuition I guess.”

“Mother’s…” I quietly repeated stunned by the word. I took a minute to let it all hit me before walking through the house and taking a seat in the living room next to her “Hey…” I boldly let out “Ya know I don’t want nothin from him…just to know who he is.”

“I know.” She forced a smile in an attempt to support me.

“I swear, he’s a deadbeat…I just gotta know why.” I let out shocking myself at how easy my thoughts were escaping my body.

“Know why he committed that crime?” she carefully continued seeing if she could get me to further explain.

“Know why he left me.” I confessed in a low breath. I felt her hand gently rub my back in a way only mothers knew how…in a way I had never felt before.

“You’re worried…but I don’t wanna leave, I want this to be my family.” I admitted looking over to her.

She let out a sigh of relief as a big smile crossed her face “I’ve been praying you would say those words for weeks now.” She laughed “Oh Riley what are we going to do with you?”

“hey.” I paused with a smile “I still don’t like Riley.”

She gently ruffled my hair and shook her head “We’ll work on it.”

“Sure” I sarcastically groaned escaping her touch and heading towards the game room.

She quickly stood up and just like that her switch turned from friend to parent “Oh no you don’t!” she called out “We didn’t take you out of the school today to play video games! Homework now!”

“But Nancy, I had court all day…I need to relax.” I lied trying to play whatever card I could.

“Upstairs now young man!” She commanded staring me down.

“Whatever” I exhaled throwing my head back. I ran up the stairs and tried my hardest to do my homework, but just like always it was a fight to try and read the words on the page. Don’t get me wrong it’s gotten better since I first got here, but even now I don’t have a command over my dyslexia…even now the words still jump all over. There were a few times I would swallow my pride and wander downstairs to have Nancy read me something, but for the most part I just made do with what I could until finally Aaron came home.

“How was court?” he gently poked walking into our bedroom.

“Fine, the adoption is going through.” I quickly explain “Now let’s go play somethin!”

“Woh that’ amazing!” he shouted, excitement filling his face “How did it go? What was it like? Did you…”

“Let’s go play somethin!” I interrupted leading him out of the bedroom “I’ve been sittin in here all damn afternoon! I can catch you up later.”

“Alright, relax!” he giggled following me down the stairs and into the big room full of TVs “We should have everyone over tomorrow night to celebrate.”

“Bout that.” I sighed looking away “Me and Carter are goin out to some basketball thing.”

Aaron let out a groan in frustration and shook his head “You two know me, Noah and Owen still exist right?”

“I know…but we jus keep gettin wrapped up in all this team buildin shit. I don’t even know what we doin tomorrow.” I shrugged half telling the truth half lying.

He shook his head once more annoyed by the whole situation “You and Carter need to give the bromance a break for at least one weekend. Even at school you’re always whispering or goofing around with one another!”

“Give what a break?” I defensively let out.

“Bromance” he repeated “Relax! I’m not calling you gay, it’s just when two guys are weirdly close. I have no idea how you could be so homophobic and yet so cool with him all at the same time.”

I shrugged my shoulders not knowing how to react “We jus get each other is all.”

“Well it’s annoying.” He mumbled staring at the tv.

“Oh don pout.” I clicked “We’ll hang out with you and Noah next weekend.” He rolled his eyes but didn’t say anything “Need me to pick up tampons while I’m out tomorrow?”

“You’re so immature.” He snapped finally looking back at me “Grow up already.”

“Ooo! Oh no! I’m so hurt!” I patronized with some bite.

He stared me down and angrily bit on his lip “Cy and Nicole sitting on a tree…” he sung taking shots at me.

“At least I talk to girls.” I quickly replied “You too scared.

“You’re lucky I’m not violent.” He finished in an attempt to take the highroad.

“Well you’re unlucky I am!” I spit back starting to get pissed off.

“Boys!” Walter shouted overhearing us from the other room “Cut it out!”

“Sorry” we both grunted in unison.

“Stupid ass.” I quietly muttered.

“Illiterate” he pushed back finally starting the game.

We don’t fight often, but even when we do…well it makes us feel even more like brothers. I would never seriously hurt him…but one day we might wind up wrestling or taking halfhearted swing at one another. When it first started happening Walter and Nancy were concerned we were actually starting to dislike each other, but as the dust started to settle…well they realized that it was just how siblings treat one another…that it was more out of love than out of hate. No matter what we say to one another, or at throw at one another…okay, well what I throw at him…we never hold it against each other. We’re close like that…brothers like that.

I could tell that Aaron was still pissed for the rest of the night, and into the next day…but what was I supposed to do? I couldn’t let him come along, and there was no way in hell I was gonna tell him what’s happening. NEVER.

“I think you’re driver is here.” Aaron remarked hearing the familiar sound of Carter’s car in the driveway “Tell him I say hi…that is if he still remembers me.”

“Man stop bein a baby.” I shook grabbing my jacket off a nearby couch and throwing it on. I haven’t put much thought into it, but a week or two ago Nancy finally took me on that shopping spree she so desperately wanted. It took forever, and I hated every second of it…but she got my style down, she knew exactly how I wanted to dress and found a way to make it happen.

“Keep your phone on!” Nancy shouted as she heard me open the front door.

I quickly patted down on my front pocket and felt for the small black flip phone…they wanted to get me an iphone, but I don’t need all that, it’s just too much to learn…I’m fine with just a basic phone for now. “I’ll be back soon.” I shouted finally walking out and shutting the door behind me.

Carter carefully watched me as I finally got into the car, a moment I could tell we had both waited all day for “It feels like I haven’t seen you in forever.” He complained as his stare only grew more intense.

“Oh please” I let out with a roll of my eyes “You can survive a day on your own.”

“You sure about that?” he playfully laughed “How was court?”

“Wasn’t bad” I shrugged as I braced to give him the good news “My petition is goin through, we jus gotta do some basic shit. Walter went out today to start workin on it.”

A small excited smile ignited on Carter’s face as he heard the news “So it’s only a matter of time.”

“Nah” I shook my head trying to stay realistic “There’s still some stuff in the air, and I don know, adoption could take a few months.”

Carter’s smile grew a little bit wider as he thought about it “Not for people with the connections we have…trust me; Mr. James could get your adoption through like that.” He snapped with confidence “I bet once he gets all the official things done your name will be at the top of the list.” I shook my head doing my best to not get caught up in any type of excitement “Here” he exhaled reaching back and grabbing a long white rectangle from his back seat “For tonight.”

“What we doin anyway?” I poked trying to figure it out.

He made a confused face and tilted his head “I told you what we’re doing.”

“No you didn.” I shrugged as he handed me the box “You said it was a surprise.”

“I was goofing around!” he giggled “I thought you remembered what we agreed our second date would be.”

“Wait so we’re…” I excitedly let out ripping open the top of the box to expose a thick red jersey underneath “Oh no…Carter man…I can’t take this.”

“Why not?” he laughed enjoying the excitement on my face “It’s a gift to remember your first bulls game.”

“Carter I can’t, jerseys are expensive…it wouldn be right.” I let out still surprised at the night he had planned ahead.

“Yup, I really had to break the bank for it!” He softly joked reaching over and forcing my chin up until our eyes connected “I already told you my dad gets jerseys like they’re nothing, and this one…well it had your name written all over it. Don’t think about the cost; just enjoy it…if it has to be then think of it as an early birthday gift.”

I shook my head once more, still in disbelief at how thoughtful he was “Thank you…” I finally exhaled, pulling the jersey out of the box and throwing it on over my t-shirt “It’s even Butler.”

“Yup” he nodded with a laugh…it was funny, he was enjoying the moment just as much as I was, just as happy giving me something as he would be receiving something “It looks good on you.”

“Jus drive” I blushed eager to get the night underway.

“Okay okay” he smiled “but I don’t want you to get too excited, it’s still just preseason, I was going to wait until the regular season to take you but that’s not…”

“You honestly think that makes a difference to me.” I interrupted shaking my head “I’ve never been to an NBA game…this could be played on a blacktop and I’d be jus as hyped.”

His smile grew a little wider and he quickly glanced over “You’re easy to please.”

“I would be jus as happy if we sat on the beach again.” I confessed looking back into his eyes

“You’re so full of shit.” He lightly laughed “I can’t wait to see you during your surprise party next weekend.” He instigated, with trouble in his eyes.

“That aint funny.” I dismissed quickly looking away.

“Oh no! Did I ruin the surprise?” he pretended with fake sadness “You’ll just have to act surprised!”

“I would kill you if there was a surprise party.” I shook “like I tol Nancy a few days ago, I jus want you and Noah over. She tried to plan some big thing or some bullshit, but I don want that.”

“Well you’re getting it.” He teased, committing to his small joke “We’re expecting to have about 50 people, it’s actually pride themed.”

I looked back to him with an unamused face until he stopped laughing “I’m glad you think you’re funny, cause I don.”

“Yes you do.” He giggled “But really it’s just going to be Owen coming over.”

“What’s the matter with you tonight?” I clicked shaking my head at his jokes.

He shrugged his shoulders and tried to focus more on the road “I mean he’s your best friend right?”

“Would you stop it already!” I giggled as we entered back into the big city “Speakin of best friends, yours is bein a little bitch.”

“Are you two fighting again?” he emphasized with a sigh “What’s going on with you guys?”

“We’re brothers that share a room” I shrugged “We step on each other’s toes at least once a day…itd be weird if we didn. He was all pissy cause he said we don hang out with him and Noah. He said you forgot about him or somethin.”

“Well what did you tell him?” Carter poked already thinking of a solution.

“That we’ve been busy with basketball.” I exhaled “Tol him we’ll hangout when we can, trus me he’ll get over it.”

“We could just come clean about us.” Carter teased, fully knowing what my reaction would be.

“You stupid.” I dismissed “I aint ever tellin him.”

“Maybe in a few weeks when we build our relationship more?” Carter timidly poked.

“Maybe in a few months.” I corrected in a sigh “It’s nothing personal I jus…”

“I get it” he nodded “Are you okay with being called gay yet?”

“I aint gay.” I pouted realizing the conversation I had accidently started.

“Of course not!” Carter smiled “What was I thinking? You’re just going on date with another dude!”

“Yeah well you’re the only dude I’ll ever do that with.” I stubbornly insisted quickly looking away.

Carter thought something over before quickly looking towards me “Have you ever even been attracted to a girl?”

“That’s none of your business.” I mumbled thinking it all over. I’ve never found a girl hot…I mean sure cute, like when you look at a puppy…but never hot.

“Have you?” Carter poked, keeping the pressure on me

“No.” I finally admitted “but I never found another dude hot either.” I lied trying to keep my guard up the best I could “Well besides you.” I softly let out.

A small blush filled his face as he heard my last statement “You’re not going to distract me that easy!” he giggled enjoying the compliment “Maybe you’re just one of those romantic people who needs to build a layer before they find any attraction to anyone.”

“I don think so” I shrugged “I knew I liked you the second I saw you.”

“And you never thought that with any other guy?” he questioned starting to see right through me.

“No!” I lied looking away from him.

“Okay” he laughed, knowing the real truth “You do you, but one day you’ll have to face the truth.” I rolled my eyes but kept silent “It’s okay you’re my first boyfriend too.”

I let out a frustrated groan and peered back to him “Would you stop callin me…” I paused thinking it over.

“Stop calling you…?” he led as a smile grew on his face.

“Forget it” I muttered “You jus gonna do it anyway.

“You’re okay with me calling you my boyfriend?” he asked but was met with silence “Oh my god! You totally are!”

“Stop” I clicked shaking off his assault “Jus take what you can get and leave it be.”

“We both know I’ll never do that.” He smiled looking over at me.

I shook my head and let it fall against the window “Why do I like you again?”

“I don’t know.” He giggled as we pulled into a parking lot near the huge arena “but I’m glad you do.”

“I’m glad I do too” I confessed as our car ride came to an end. I stepped out of the car and my eyes were instantly met with huge red banners. I stood there in amazement as banners of both the Bulls and the Blackhawks flashed in front of my eyes.

“You okay over there?” Carter laughed as I took it all in

“This is nuts.” I exhaled still in awe of the sights

Carter let out another small laugh before walking over and laying his hand on my back “You should see this place during the regular season, or when the Blackhawks are in the playoffs…I can’t believe you’ve lived in this city your whole life and this is only your first time here.”

“It’s hard to believe this is still even Chicago.” I nodded looking around “This is far from where I grew up.”

“I guess Chicago and Chiraq are two different things.” Carter shrugged starting to walk towards the arena “Except I don’t think you’ll ever take me to go visit Chiraq.”

“Never” I shook thinking about life back on 45th street “We’d get popped for riding in a Maserati before we even got to where I grew up.”

“That bad?” Carter poked turning back and taking a good look at me.

“That doesn even scratch the surface” I confessed “but I aint there no more.”

“No, you’re not” he smiled letting me catch up.

My whole life I’ve been waiting for my first bulls’ game…but I had no idea it would be with someone I had been waiting my whole life for! I couldn’t have planned this moment any better if I tried…couldn’t have dreamed it up any more perfect…and the years just getting started.

Hey guys! So unfortunately my Easter break is over, which means I'll most likely go back to 2 chapters a week. Hopefully the last 2 weeks of classes and finals week will go easy on me, and I can squeak in a few more here and there...the good news is that summer is right around the corner, which gives me plenty of time to write!
Copyright © 2018 Aceinthehole; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 42
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter, love this like the others and i enjoy the difference. Think that Riley would have fitted in well with Aiden, Jamie and Eli.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

 I just love the relationship between Riley and Nancy. That was a very mature act on Riley's part. Letting her know that he isn't going anywhere. More importantly, what he wants out of visiting his father. 
 I wonder if theirs going to be trouble ahead for Riley and Aaron. Aaron is most certainly showing jealousy over Riley and Carter's relationship. I don't think Riley being gay is the issue... Just feeling abandoned. 
 Carter is just the perfect boyfriend. He wants Riley to experience things he's never had. Takes the time to learn about what makes his boyfriend tick. He is like a sponge, remembers everything he has learned. 
 I just love Carter saying "You do You"!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Carter is a real sweetheart, he knows Riley so well.  I love how he knows exactly when to push and where to stop, pushing Riley ever so slightly in the right direction.

I think Riley's refusal to come out, even to himself, is largely survival instinct at this point.  He knows what will happen to him if he's found out and he wants to protect himself and Carter.

Aaron is most likely jealous that Carter was able to connect with Riley in a way that he couldn't no matter how much he tried, and if Riley didn't act so homophobic when they met he'd probably suspect what's really going on.  I don't think they can keep it a secret for very long if they're already in bromance territory though.

You know, I'm actually hoping biodad is the one who killed biomom.  I want Riley to be able to look him in the eye and say "You took my eye, but you didn't beat me.  You'll never beat  me, and while you spend the rest of your life in here I'm gonna be somebody!"

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, Shadow086 said:

Carter is a real sweetheart, he knows Riley so well.  I love how he knows exactly when to push and where to stop, pushing Riley ever so slightly in the right direction.

I think Riley's refusal to come out, even to himself, is largely survival instinct at this point.  He knows what will happen to him if he's found out and he wants to protect himself and Carter.

Aaron is most likely jealous that Carter was able to connect with Riley in a way that he couldn't no matter how much he tried, and if Riley didn't act so homophobic when they met he'd probably suspect what's really going on.  I don't think they can keep it a secret for very long if they're already in bromance territory though.

You know, I'm actually hoping biodad is the one who killed biomom.  I want Riley to be able to look him in the eye and say "You took my eye, but you didn't beat me.  You'll never beat  me, and while you spend the rest of your life in here I'm gonna be somebody!"

 I've been thinking the story with Riley's father might take a completely different twist. 
 Instead of having anything to do with the death of his mother. What if bio dad is the reason for Carter's sister dying? 

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, BlindAmbition said:

 Instead of having anything to do with the death of his mother. What if bio dad is the reason for Carter's sister dying? 

Why not both?  We know nothing about the guy.

I just want Riley to see the guy who knifed him and give him a big "Fuck you, I'm better than you!"

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, croyde said:

Great chapter, love this like the others and i enjoy the difference. Think that Riley would have fitted in well with Aiden, Jamie and Eli.

Thank you! It would definitely be funny to see the four of them interact...I think some type of big fight would break out before they could all actually get along!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, BlindAmbition said:

 I've been thinking the story with Riley's father might take a completely different twist. 
 Instead of having anything to do with the death of his mother. What if bio dad is the reason for Carter's sister dying? 

5 hours ago, Shadow086 said:

Carter is a real sweetheart, he knows Riley so well.  I love how he knows exactly when to push and where to stop, pushing Riley ever so slightly in the right direction.

I think Riley's refusal to come out, even to himself, is largely survival instinct at this point.  He knows what will happen to him if he's found out and he wants to protect himself and Carter.

Aaron is most likely jealous that Carter was able to connect with Riley in a way that he couldn't no matter how much he tried, and if Riley didn't act so homophobic when they met he'd probably suspect what's really going on.  I don't think they can keep it a secret for very long if they're already in bromance territory though.

You know, I'm actually hoping biodad is the one who killed biomom.  I want Riley to be able to look him in the eye and say "You took my eye, but you didn't beat me.  You'll never beat  me, and while you spend the rest of your life in here I'm gonna be somebody!"

Riley's birth father is a real mystery. I really like the theories I'm seeing. Keep in mind that David has know about Riley all this time, and has avoided him (or was he around back when Riley's birth mother was still alive and just didn't tell Riley he was his father?), possibly the murder also took place when Riley was just a baby and that's why David was never around for him. All these questions and theories are also jumping around in Riley's mind as he tries to piece together who his birth father is. Maybe he'll gets his answer...but then again you never know what could happen.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Oh I love ❤️ this story! I can just imagine the excitement Cy is feeling! A jersey to top it off! I hope their "date" turns out perfectly!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Great Chapter, Cy is really starting to find his place in his new life, with a lot of help from Carter and his new family. Carter is just the sweetest, I think we all wish we had a boyfriend like him :P

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..