Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 4,331 Words
  • 3,461 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Underground: Blinded - 54. Riley's Shadow

| Riley |

I wish I could say having Eli by my side calmed me down. I wish I could say it helped me sleep right through the night. Yet, just like most of the nights this week my dreams seemed to haunt me. Except this time it wasn’t a look into my past, but seemingly a vision into the future.

I sat alone in my dark room as I heard shouting and gun shots sounding out through my home. The noises grew louder until finally a loud banging began on my bedroom door. Before I could react the door flew open and a dark shadow with a gun took a step inside.

“Riley!” Eli shouted, finally shaking me awake. “It’s alright man, I’m right here.” I gulped hard and looked around the room in panic. “Jesus, that might be the worst one I’ve seen.” I stayed quiet and looked away as I ran through the nightmare in my head. “You alright?”

“Just fine.” I lied in a low voice.

“What as this one about?” Eli prodded, but got silence once more. “I know that you know talking helps.”

“What stops the Saints from trackin me down?” I asked as he walked back to his bed.

“You would know that better than me.” He shrugged, finally lying back down. “I mean think about it, if they were going to come they would’ve done it already.”

“Guess so.” I sighed, carefully thinking it over. I know most of them are locked away, but what about the ones that aren’t? What about the survivors? I know that the ones who escaped arrest are trying to keep a low profile, but this house holds two ex-Saints. Two kids that stabbed their gang in the back. If they got their chance they’d make us pay. I know they would.

“Either way you’ve got me protecting you tonight.” He teased, trying his hardest to break the tension.

“Cause you so tough.” I rolled my eyes.

“You’re not the only one who’s seen things.” He reminded me in a serious voice. “Someone broke into this house and we’d take care of them one, two, three.”

“Stupid ass.” I shook my head.

“You won’t be saying that when I’m saving you.” He continued to taunt. “Seriously though, you live in a mansion in the Northside. I saw like a million cops on my ride here. Someone from the Southside would get flagged down in a minute. Plus, there’s no way your parents don’t have state of the art security. Don’t let your anxiety get the best of you.”

“Yeah.” I agreed finally starting to calm down. “Sorry I woke you up.”

“Don’t be, what would spending a night with you be if it didn’t happen?” He tried to comfort in a light voice. “If you need me again just wake me up.”

“Thanks.” I forced out before the room grew quiet once more.

This time when I fell asleep I didn’t dream. I don’t know if it was because I calmed down, or my body just needed the rest, but either way I was grateful.

---

---

As I heard a phone alarm begin to sound I braced myself for what was coming next. “GOOD MORNING RILEY!” Eli shouted, jumping out of bed and starting to shake me.

“You so fuckin annoying.” I grumbled as his normal morning energy ran through him.

He let out a small laugh before backing off and taking a seat on his bed. “I’ve missed doing that.” He teased with a wide smile.

“Bet your new roommate loves it.” I groaned, sitting up and looking over to him.

“They haven’t given me one yet.” He shook his head. “The whole age gap is an issue I guess.”

I nodded but before I could say anything his phone began to ring. “What’s up?” Eli asked as I heard a whiny voice fill the other end. “I’m in Chicago.” He answered as the voice on the other end grew louder. “Visiting Riley. I’ll be back there by tomorrow.” He replied, raising his hand and giving himself a hard face palm. “What’s that Aiden?” He asked with a devious grin. “You want to talk to Riley?” He teased, tossing me his phone.

“Man, I don’t wanna,”

“Just say hi.” Eli interrupted with a role of his eyes.

“Yo.” I forced out into the phone.

“Hey.” A young voice greeted back. “Why’s Eli there? Is he okay? Did he do something?”

“He told you man,” I shook my head. “he’s just visiting. Don’t you got other things to worry about?”

“I would say Eli’s health is pretty high on my list of things to worry about.” He shot back in a stern voice.

“Still got that stick up your ass, huh?” I asked hearing him exhale a deep breath.

“You’re so lucky he likes you,” The voice began, but before he could start ranting Eli snatched his phone from my hand.

“Alright Aiden we have to get ready for school.” Eli quickly wrapped up. “I’ll text you later, tell Jayden I say hi.” As he clicked off the phone I couldn’t help but shake my head. “He’s my brother. The least you could do is play nice.”

“That was playin nice.” I groaned as my Mom began to knock on our door. “Come in.” I sighed as she pushed the door open and dropped off two sets of clothes.

“Alright,” She began. “hurry up and get ready, breakfast is waiting.”

We quickly ran through the morning routine, trying our hardest to just get the day going already. I could tell Eli was excited to be here. I mean sure, school back in Michigan wasn’t that bad, but this is new and exciting to him. Something new to explore, and if there’s anything that gets Eli Warren going it’s the chance at a new adventure.

“Good morning.” Carter forced a smile as we both walked into the gym.

“Hey.” I nodded to him.

“That’s it?” Eli asked, starting to stare me down.

“What you want?” I shook my head.

“No kiss good morning? Not even a hug?” Eli provoked with a smile. “I thought he was the greatest thing to ever happen to you.”

“Dude!” I yelped, shooting him a serious look.

“You said that about me?” Carter asked as a soft smile began on his face.

“No I,” I began but as I saw Eli’s stare let out a sigh. “I was just havin a long day, and I don’t know it was somethin,”

“You don’t need to come up with some big excuse.” Eli shrugged, taking a step back. “It’s okay that he’s that important to you.”

“You annoyin.” I shook my head but felt Carter give me a light shove.

“Hey guys.” Noah let out as he and Trey walked through the doors.

“Yo.” I forced out, still looking towards Carter.

“That’s it?” Eli repeated before breaking into laughter.

“You realize I’m gonna hit you if you act like this all day right?” I groaned, glancing towards him.

“Banking on it.” He shrugged as Noah and Trey studied him closely.

“Eli Warren.” He happily introduced himself with an outstretched hand.

“This is my friend from Michigan,” I explained as they both shook his hand. “Eli this is Noah and Trey.”

“You made friends while you were away?” Noah immediately began.

“Not at first,” Eli quickly began. “but I won him over. Plus, we shared a room so he kinda had to talk to me!”

“Only cause you made me.” I muttered, catching Carter’s attention.

“How did you two wind up getting so close?” Carter dug, looking over to Eli.

“I don’t know.” He lied, glancing over to me.

“We were some of the only teenagers there.” I quickly dismissed.

“I love the way you tell that story.” Eli teased once more.

“Why you bein so goofy today?” I complained, but deep down knew this was just the way he is. I’ve seen him have some really bad days, but somehow he finds a way to keep a smile on his face as often as he can. It’s always something I’ve admired about him, not that I’ll ever tell him!

“I’m just excited to be hanging out with you again.” He shrugged.

I noticed Trey look to Carter as he heard those words. “Why don’t we go introduce Eli to Coach Murray?” Carter suggested starting to walk towards the stage.

“Coach Murray,” I began as we made our way to the back of the gym. “this is my friend Eli Warren, he’ll be followin me around today.”

Coach nodded his head and looked him up and down. “I hear you’re a pretty great hockey player.”

“I’m alright.” Eli shrugged with a proud smile.

“Well we usually play basketball during gym, but today we have hockey.” Coach explained. “That is, if you’re willing to help show these kids how to do it.”

“Don’t we got hockey players in class?” I interrupted, shooting him a cautious look.

“Not as good as Eli.” Coach sighed. “Your Dad made sure to include that when he let us know Eli would be shadowing you.”

“I’d be happy to help.” Eli happily nodded his head, taking a look at the crappy wooden sticks on the stage.

Coach gave it a few more minutes before blowing his whistle and gathering the class. “Not you.” He warned as I went to grab a seat on the floor. “Take a seat on the stage.”

“Man,” I began.

“On the stage.” He warned in a loud voice before turning towards the class. “Today Riley brought us a special guest,” Coach began as hockey nets were brought out from the locker room. “his name is Eli Warren and he holds the single season high school scoring record in both Michigan and New Jersey. In addition to that he also has won state championships in both. You guys are lucky enough to have him teach you, so have at it.” Coach dismissed, reaching back and handing Eli a stick.

“Thank you?” Eli began in a joking voice. “I know it’s early. I know you guys probably don’t care about hockey, but it can actually be really fun. Just put the round ball in the net and you’ll be fine.” Eli shrugged. “Oh! And some base rules, don’t trip people, don’t slash and don’t stick lift, or you risk needing an eye patch like Riley.” He giggled, looking back and flashing me a smile. “You guys have teams?” Eli asked, looking over to Coach Murray.

“Yeah.” Coach Murray waived as he took a seat next to me. “You can take Riley’s spot on team one.”

A few groans sounded from some of the guys as they stood up. “Isn’t it bad enough you put Riley and Carter on the same team?” one of them complained. “Can’t we break up Carter and the new kid.”

“I don’t even know how to play hockey.” Carter shrugged, walking towards where his team was meeting. “And you guys have both hockey players!”

“Teams stay as is.” Coach dismissed, taking a seat on stage near me.

It took another minute or two to get everyone set up and equipped but the second they got going Eli didn’t bother to hold back. Every now and again he would try his hardest to teach as they played, but it was clear everyone was more focused on scoring than listening.

“Your friends a bit,” Coach trailed off trying his hardest to find the right word. “excitable.”

“If that means annoying you right.” I shook my head, watching him closely.

“Yeet!” He shouted as he weaved around one kid. “Yeet!” He exclaimed once more pushing the ball through another’s legs. “Yeet!” He let out one last time as he dragged the ball around a kid and shot it past the goalie and into the net.

“Alright, I’m on him this time.” One of the hockey kids decided as they both lined up for a faceoff.

“I’m gonna walk you.” Eli warned looking up into his eyes.

“Alright.” The kid let out in an annoyed voice.

Yet as one of the couches dropped the ball Eli knocked it through the kids legs and quickly darted around him. “Carter!” He shouted, noticing one of the few teens he knew find an open space “One time it!” He instructed whipping the ball towards him.

Carter managed to get his stick down but bobbled the ball before shooting it wide. “Sorry.” Carter shook his head, trying his hardest to pick up the new sport.

“Don’t worry, just have fun!” Eli shouted, immediately going back to chasing the ball.

“Does he have an off switch?” Carter complained, slowing down as he passed me.

“You get used to it.” I sighed as Eli got control of the ball once more and went back to weaving in and out of people.

“You sure about that?” Carter asked, watching Eli shoot a ball off of Noah and in.

“You scored!” Eli shouted to him.

“You shot it.” Noah shook his head.

“If it goes off of you that’s your goal.” Eli explained. “Next time try to deflect it. Hold your stick like this and,” He trailed off as a few kids watched, trying their hardest to pick up the new skill.

“Look,” I began in a sigh. “Eli’s got two sides. Just be glad you gettin this one.”

“What’s that mean?” Carter asked, shooting me a cautious look.

“Exactly what you think it does.” I dismissed waiving him back towards the court as they lined up for another faceoff.

“Your friends been through a lot too?” Coach Murray asked, glancing over to me.

“Yeah.” I nodded my head, not daring to go into detail. It’s Eli’s story to tell. He’ll share it if he sees fit.

“You could never tell by the way he carries himself.” Coach looked over to me. “I think you’re getting there too.” I rolled my eye and stayed quiet. “You consider the summer job yet?”

I though it over as I watched Carter try his hardest to control the small orange ball. “I’mma take it.” I nodded my head.

“Good.” Coach accepted. “You’ll be a good coach. “

“Until you fire me.” I muttered, still refusing to look over to him.

“Your Dad is one of the biggest donors to the camp,” Coach shook his head. “I don’t think I could fire you even if I wanted to.”

“He is?” I asked, finally looked up.

“Yup, not that he got you the job or that he would ever tell anyone.” Coach replied. “He’s a good man. You should be proud to be his son.”

“I am.” I fought off a smile as I thought it over. His father was a great man, and I guess he passed that down onto Walter. I just hope I can keep the tradition. No, I will find a way to keep the tradition. I’ll do it my way. No matter what that means.

The rest of the gym class seemed to go by fast. Just like in Michigan once the kids actually got to know Eli they were magnetized to him. There’s something special about him, something that just makes people want to get to know him.

“So Eli,” One of the girls began as we waited for the bell to ring. “how long are you in Chicago for?”

“Just until tomorrow morning.” Eli shrugged, looking over to me for help.

“Well me and my friend Ashley are actually having a few people over tonight.” The girl began. “We were thinking maybe you and Riley could stop by.”

“Thank you, but I should probably stay in tonight.” Eli politely rejected.

“There will be beer there.” The girl offered.

“I don’t drink.” Eli quickly let out, drawing even more suspicion from Trey and Carter.

“Alright then.” The girl dismissed, walking back over to her friends.

“And he’s gay!” I shouted at her. “So don’t get any ideas.”

“He is?” Trey asked as Eli nodded his head. “Do all you gay athletes have some magical meeting spot?”

“Shut up Trey.” I clicked, not even bothering to look over to him.

“It was just a question.” He tried to defend.

“A really fuckin stupid one.” I remarked as Eli began to stare me down.

“That was a little unnecessary.” Eli warned with a serious look on his face.

“I don’t think it was.” I maintained, finally glancing over to Trey.

“You guys fight a lot?” Eli asked, starting to pick up on the tension.

“We got into a fight the first time we met.” Trey shook his head. “We play the same position on the basketball team, and ever since he won’t cut me any slack. We got along just fine when I went over his house, but apparently that meant nothing to him.”

“I don’t know what to tell you.” I shrugged. “I just don’t trust you.”

“Riley.” Eli began, keeping his stare on me. “Separate your feelings on the court from your life.” I rolled my eyes and started to walk out of the room as the bell rang. “You know I’m right.”

“I don’t know shit.” I let out, slowing down enough for him to follow me.

“I’m not saying you have to be friends with him.” Eli shook his head. “But you don’t have to snap at the poor guy for everything he says.”

“What he said was stupid.” I argued, turning back to him.

“It was a little stupid,” Eli agreed. “but I don’t think he knows how to talk to you. Unless you let him in he never will.”

“We’ll see.” I grunted as we entered the classroom.

“Not everyone is out to get you.” He tried to remind me. “Don’t forget that.”

I nodded but quickly changed topics as I introduced him to my English teacher. Our morning seemed to go by fast from there. Having Eli by my side just seemed to help everything flow. We tried our hardest to behave, but there’s just something about us together. Some spark that gets us both going and god help anyone in our way.

As we walked past the normal lunch table I waived for Carter to follow us. “You get to eat outside?” Eli asked in amazement.

“Yeah, cause we don’t got stupid rules like in Michigan.” I proudly explained.

“Even in New Jersey we weren’t allowed to eat outside.” Eli shook his head.

“That’s annoying.” Carter weighed in. “People need fresh air.”

“Well if you give kids from New Jersey fresh air during a school day they make a break for it.” Eli laughed pulling out the lunch my mom had made him. “Your mom’s a saint, you know that right?”

“She’s pretty cool.” I nodded my head. “How’s yours doin?”

He took a deep breath and thought it over. “She’s alright.” He answered. “I think she’ll be ready to go home next month.”

“Before you?” I asked as Carter watched us closely.

“I could go home tomorrow if I wanted.” He shrugged. “But I don’t want to leave her.” As he noticed Carter’s gaze he forced eye contact. “You can ask whatever you’re thinking.”

“Your mom’s in rehab too?” Carter forced out, slightly nervous to ask the question.

“That’s none of your business.” Eli shot down, letting the smile fall from his face.

“Oh I, I didn’t mean,”

“I’m just kidding!” Eli laughed, breaking his straight faced act. “She’s in rehab.” He nodded his head. “She has a drug problem.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Carter offered, not knowing what else to say.

“It’s okay.” Eli accepted, not putting too much thought into it. “We all have our own issues.”

“Yeah.” Carter nodded, falling quiet from the moment.

“So Riley, you want to go to that party tonight?” Eli teased, quickly changing the topic.

“She was just tryin to get in your pants.” I shook my head.

“I know.” He giggled. “I don’t know why straight guys have so many issues, that was pretty easy.”

“Yeah, who could’ve guessed showing off all gym class would get girls chasin you?” I teased with a smirk.

“I was not showing off.” He tried to defend. “I was just, excited.”

“You was showin off.” I nodded my head.

“He was having fun.” Carter supported, looking over to Eli.

“He gets it.” Eli smiled. “Maybe you just liked what you saw Riley.” He teased in a giggle.

“From you?” I asked, faking disgust. “I’d rather die.”

“You don’t have to worry.” Eli offered as he noticed Carter quietly watching us. “I’m just goofing around.”

“I know.” Carter quickly nodded his head. “I’m not worried.”

“You sure about that?” Eli asked, seeing right through Carter’s façade.

“Positive.” He nodded, trying to gather as much confidence as he could.

“Well if you’re not, I already found my soul mate.” Eli explained drawing a surprised look from me.

“Oh yeah?” Carter asked as I braced for whatever Eli would say next. “Riley never told me about him. What’s he like?”

“He was, well, kind of like Riley, but a little goofier.” Eli explained with more strength than I had expected.

“You’ll have to bring him next time you visit.” Carter offered as he began to relax. “Riley and I could use a double date.” I gulped as I realized Carter had missed that Eli was talking in the past tense.

“He’s no longer with us.” Eli shook his head but kept his strength. Carter froze, not knowing what to say next. “You can ask questions if you want. It’s okay.”

“I’m sorry.” Carter finally forced out. “H-how long ago was this?”

“Little over a year.” Eli answered. “He was an underground racer.”

“Racer?” Carter quietly repeated.

“Yup.” Eli nodded his head. “He was really good too. Just lost himself in it all. Forgot the people he was playing around with, and well, if you hang around that world for too long you pay the price.” He explained before pulling out his phone and flashing it towards Carter. “That was him. Jamie Free.”

“Well,” Carter began in a brave breath. “I look forward to our double date when we finally get the chance.”

“So do I.” Eli nodded his head as they shared a smile. With a brave hand I quickly pated Eli on the back before letting him go.

To be able to tell his story without his emotions breaking through, it just shows how far Eli has come. His friend Aiden once told me there was a time when he ran from that story, but not anymore. Sure, he was vulnerable about it last night, but that was with me. One of Eli’s greatest gifts is knowing when to be strong and when to be weak, I just hope that’s something I can learn from him.

The rest of the day seemed to go by a lot easier from there. Knowing Eli’s past helped Carter to relax a lot more than he had been. He stopped acting so jealous, and just accepted our bond for what it is. He, Noah, Aaron and Trey still shot us a lot of weird looks, but we didn’t care. I know I’ve got Aaron and Carter, but I honestly think Eli is my best friend. We’re so different, but we just get along. At the end of the day we’re both the same type of crazy, and I think that goes a long way.

--

--

When school ended Coach still wouldn’t let me anywhere close to the gym. Carter promised he’d stop by after practice, but that didn’t make me feel much better. I guess I at least have Eli to keep me busy for today.

“So what’s the story with that Trey kid?” Eli dug as we sat back on the game room couch and turned on the Xbox.

“He’s a spoiled dick.” I shrugged, tossing him a controller. “Not much more than that.”

“And you’re not spoiled?” Eli giggled, looking around at the large arcade like room.

“Okay, but I just got this stuff.” I tried to defend.

“What a huge difference.” Eli teased in a laugh. “How silly of me to think any different of you.”

“You get what I’m tryna say.” I defended, sinking in my chair.

“I don’t know if I do.” Eli began. “Are you sure it’s not just because he’s threatening to take your spot, and was alone with Carter while you were away?”

“You say some dumb shit.” I grumbled with a shake of my head.

“You know I have a point.” Eli insisted. “I don’t blame you, Trey’s pretty cute, but he’s straight and it’s not fair that you hold your own insecurities against him.”

“I just don’t trust him, alright?” I forced out.

“Trey or Carter?” Eli provoked, glancing over to me.

“Trey.” I quickly answered. “Don’t be stupid. I trust Carter.”

“Then let your issues with Trey go.” Eli shrugged. “You hold onto so much unnecessary hate Riley. Being jealous is totally okay, but holding onto it isn’t. Besides, after seeing you play in Michigan, there’s no way he’s better than you.”

“He’s not.” I muttered. “And I think they’re changing his position anyway.”

“Then there you have it.” Eli looked over to me. “He’s not a threat to you. Let it go.”

“So you don’t get a bad feeling around him?” I asked with a suspicious look.

“No!” He laughed with a shake of his head. “He seemed like everyone else there.”

I nodded but fell quiet as I finally started the game. I trust Eli’s judgment and maybe he is right, but does that mean there was a time when I didn’t trust Carter? And why didn’t Carter trust me around Eli? I don’t doubt his love for me, or even that I love him, but maybe we gotta talk about this. In two years he goes away to college, and if that trust isn’t there, I don’t even wanna think about what could happen.

Copyright © 2018 Aceinthehole; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 19
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

These two together is just too precious.  Something about best friends banter just makes me smile.  It's cool to see Riley bonding with someone other than Carter - this is actually a great sign as far as their relationship goes.  In truly mature relationships both parties have to have their own circles and social bonds. 

 

Though I was thinking that Riley's instincts about Trey were going to play out - so either Eli missed something or there's something else up with Trey.  Not necessarily bad, but more than meets the eye.  Orrr it's just a chance for Riley to chill.  I don't know haha

Edited by Israfil
  • Like 2
Link to comment

It was the parents best idea, to bring Eli to visit... He had so many problems that he immediately sees through Riley's bullshit, and helps him deal with his feelings. I actually hope there isn't more drama around Trey, and that the problem is internal to Riley, that he will have to deal with. Slowly he is healing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Nice seeing Eli and hearing from Aidan again:  They feel like old friends.

 

Riley was his old, grumpy self, so I think that Eli's visit is doing him good.  I'm also glad to see that Eli is healing as well.

 

Trey is still a wild card, and paired with an Ace.... I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

 

And Riley, just because Carter's a bit jealous of Eli doesn't mean he doesn't trust you--feel flattered! You've still got the perfect boyfriend, as he's proven over and over again.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Lots of stuff happening is this chapter. If it had been in real life my neck would be sore from looking back and forth at all the action.  Eli was the perfect person right now. I am not sure Carter is comfortable. He will just need to watch a while longer and see if he has anything to worry about. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..