Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 934 Words
  • 1,650 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Salvation - 24. Chapter 24

I sat down in my seat. Alex brought the child on board. What is it about these children, blue eyes, blond hair, there must have been some Nordic ancestors to impart these characteristics? The child was scared, probably remembering he was going to be sold. He was frightened. He seemed to relax as the other boys came on board. Alex handed me the folder, passports, papers, and some background on each child.

Jimmy asked the boys to buckle up as he demonstrated. I saw the boys reach for their belts. Then Jimmy dropped the screen and started a movie. It was a cartoon, and soon the kids were laughing. The little tyke on my lap was squirming. I asked Jimmy for a blanket so I could soften my skinny boney legs. After that, he leaned into me and enjoyed the movie.

Jimmy handed out some hot chocolate and cookies while we waited. It was about an hour and a half before Tony boarded. Jimmy closed the door, and we moved to the fueling station. Jimmy opened the door, and Alex got off. We spoke a few words. He smiled, taking a handful of cookies and a cup of coffee.

Fueled, we were ready to go. Jimmy rolled up the screen, he went and checked all of the seat belts, and the plane was cleared for takeoff. The little tyke sitting on my lap grabbed my arms, which are around him, holding him, “Relax, Vasily, I got you.”

Hearing his name, he turned and faced me, such blue eyes, there were tears in his eyes. I leaned over and kissed him on his head. His eyes popped open more. I guess he didn’t expect that. One of the boys who was sitting across from me spoke to him. I didn’t understand what he was saying, but his words on Vasily were significant. I felt Vasily relax into my arms. When he looked at me, he smiled. That smile went straight to my heart.

When we reached altitude, Jimmy started to prepare for dinner or lunch, depending on when you had eaten last. He showed the boys how to open the tables, then he came with his wagon, which I forgot that we had, and started to place food in front of each boy. The meal looked delicious and smelled the same way. The boys looked. I took a fork full, making sure it wasn’t too hot and fed it to Vasily. He opened his mouth, and as he tasted the food, he smiled and nodded his head yes. That was it. The other boys started to eat. Then came the hot chocolate, and now everyone was talking, smiling, and, most important, eating.

Jimmy asked if I wanted anything. I told him just coffee would be fine. He set a cup of coffee in front of me with a cookie on the saucer. All of the boys watched that cookie, that they knew.

When they were finished eating, Jimmy picked up the empty plates and served them cookies with a hot chocolate refill. Screen down, and cartoons began again.

I wanted to take a nap, but that wasn’t going to happen, not with who was sitting in my lap. He was watching out of the window. It soon became too dark to see anything. Then he just snuggled in my arms, actually pulling my arms tighter around himself.

I asked Jimmy to phone home our arrival time as I wanted to make sure Peter was there. I also wanted to talk to Maria, but that would have to wait until I was in the limo.

The trip was fine, smooth flight, and Jimmy kept serving snacks and juices, coffee for me.

I noticed the boys drifting off to sleep and then waking back up. Their sleep showed a lot of restlessness. I guessed that this group was more unsettled than the first group, maybe age had something do with it, but probably their previous circumstances had more to do with it.

I noticed that a lot of the boys were beginning to fall asleep. Jimmy covered them with blankets. There were a few whimpers. Every time I heard that, my heart would ache, I heard some soft sobs, and my eyes would tear up. I couldn’t sleep, but Vasily must have decided he wasn’t going to be hurt. He snuggled in, I pulled the blanket over him, and he went to sleep. Looking at him as he slept, I thought of my boy. I wondered if he would look like this when he slept.

No matter how much my attention is diverted, I always reflect on him. I think I need another visit. I don’t believe the hurt and guilt will ever leave me. Sometimes we punish ourselves more than other people punish us.

Lost in my thoughts, Jimmy tapped me on my shoulder, “We are about 1 hour out. Do you want to serve some breakfast?”

“Yes, Jimmy, that would be fine. By the time we get home, they’ll be ready for bed.”

With the cabin lights coming on, the boys began to wake up. Jimmy had breakfast for each of them, egg sandwiches with a side of fruit. Orange juice followed by hot chocolate. I looked around the cabin. The boys had smiles on their faces. For some, it probably was the first time they had something to smile about in a long while.

Breakfast over, Jimmy cleaned up, and then they were glued to the windows watching the ground coming up to meet the plane. A bump and we were down

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 19
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Yes it is a sad reflection on human society, some people have children to make money, children are merely a commodity, what really amazed me is when you see the really harsh lives some people have in Africa with wars and famine, people seem to breed even more than what would seem to be normal adding an even greater strain to resources. Humans are indeed a strange race

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Yes it is a sad reflection on human society, some people have children to make money, children are merely a commodity, what really amazed me is when you see the really harsh lives some people have in Africa with wars and famine, people seem to breed even more than what would seem to be normal adding an even greater strain to resources. Humans are indeed a strange race

There are times when animals show more care and love to their offspring then humans. The lure of money, is truly the root of all evil.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I have a new fav. His name starts with a 'V' and ends in 'asily'. What a sweetie. He's strong too. Considering what he has been through yet how he is on the flight.

As for those %$#@*+  ^&&()-*=! Please let it be true about karma being a biarch!

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Buz said:

I have a new fav. His name starts with a 'V' and ends in 'asily'. What a sweetie. He's strong too. Considering what he has been through yet how he is on the flight.

As for those %$#@*+  ^&&()-*=! Please let it be true about karma being a biarch!

Hmmm, eye for eye vengeance due to interstate child napping, enslavement, and prostitution of minors; so...the children went missing, never to be seen again, yet living a life of slavery and sexual abuse. They deserve no better, only a trial of determination, if guilty, stripped of identity, they go missing, they suffer, repeat as necessary!

Edited by Philippe
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, chris191070 said:

It's good to see another 11 boys rescued and taken in by Carleton. They will be fine when they meet the other boys.

Yes, they all have a common background and now a savior

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Buz said:

I have a new fav. His name starts with a 'V' and ends in 'asily'. What a sweetie. He's strong too. Considering what he has been through yet how he is on the flight.

As for those %$#@*+  ^&&()-*=! Please let it be true about karma being a biarch!

Yes, he's going to win the hearts of them all. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Philippe said:

Hmmm, eye for eye vengeance due to interstate child napping, enslavement, and prostitution of minors; so...the children went missing, never to be seen again, yet living a life of slavery and sexual abuse. They deserve no better, only a trial of determination, if guilty, stripped of identity, they go missing, they suffer, repeat as necessary!

We like to think there is a justice in this world that these men must face, but that isn';tc  true as as there are corrupt men in a position of power.  Eye to eye justice doesn't always work, In some cases it makes the culprits that more determined.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..