Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 691 Words
  • 5,653 Views
  • 36 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Salvation - 58. Chapter 58

Epilogue

Carleton retired and now spends all of his time with the boys. Alex continues to fly between Brussels and New York. He has taken over the plane.

As the older boys completed their education, they were given a choice to stay with Carleton, or he’d help them relocate to where they would like to live. A few of the boys decided they would like to be farmers. Their experience with the orchards, conservatory, and gardens at the house provided them with a great deal of satisfaction. Carleton enrolled them in a community college where they could study modern farming technology.

A few of the boys who came from the Eastern Europe wanted to return home. Carleton bought them a large house with extra bedrooms. He knew that these boys would be providing a home for street boys. He arranged for them to meet the men at The Hague. Carleton wanted to make sure they had security.

Maria did retire to the apartment over the garage. Peter married his girlfriend and lives in a house very close to Carleton. They have two children, twins, which visit Carleton quite often and call him Granddad.

Steven got a Ph.D. degree in social work and has taken over the house, essentially retiring Carleton. There seem to be young boys in the house all the time. The streets continue to produce children that need Carleton’s legacy.

Of the 42 boys that lived in that house, they all had found an occupation that provided them a living and, more important, a continuation of Carleton’s mission.

When he retired, Carleton set up a trust. Daniel had finished his undergraduate degree in management and his master’s degree in Investment Banking and Asset Management. He was put in charge of the trust, and all of the boys were given a share in the trust fund.

The value of the trust fund was estimated to be several billions of dollars. Carleton was a wise investor. Being able to operate in Europe and the US, he was privy to information, taking advantage of stock offerings. He also had input from the men at The Hague. It seemed someone was looking over his shoulder whispering, buy this, or sell that. And maybe there was. The upkeep of the home and providing for the boys was a staggering amount.

On Carleton’s 80th birthday, Steven held a birthday party for Carleton. The plane flew everyone home. This was the first time Carleton had all of his boys and their families in the house at one time. To say they were crowded would be an overstatement. Steven arranged to have tents set up on the property to house everyone.

At night they would sit around a campfire and relive their days at the house. The new boys would ask questions that led to a tour of the bedrooms, the conservatory, the orchard, and the gardens. For a week, Carleton’s sons piled their love on to Carleton. Their boys called Carleton grandfather.

On the last night, Carleton went to bed and was visited by Michael. “Dad, you have shared your life with these boys. Now it is your turn to share your life with me.” Carleton died in his sleep.

In the morning, when Steven went to wake him, he found Carleton with a smile and a tear on his cheek.

His funeral was private. The men whom he had met over the years paid their respect. When Alex, Sal, and Mo looked upon Carleton, they cried. The half-brothers made a plaque with his UN speech and posted it on the wall of the home.

The days that followed were very somber. Again Steven took control. “Dad wouldn’t want us to morn his loss. He would want us to carry on his work. Let’s honor him by continuing to save street children, worldwide.”

It was Ron who made the statement, “We need to find someone for occupying the house and carrying on Dad’s work. We all can help, but there needs to be someone living in the house full time.”

“How will we find that person?”

“Dad and Michael will find that person for us.”

One more and then you can think about what you can do to carry on Carleton's legacy
Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 20
  • Sad 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



1 hour ago, Tonyr said:

It would be great if we had real people like him.

I think there are people like him but not with the same means. We need a Warren Buffett type to do this 

 

Edited by weinerdog
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Awesome chapter. It's great to see Carleton's legacy living on with the boys that he rescued. The rescued become the rescuers.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

"When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die you're the one that is smiling when everyone around you is crying." I will miss Carleton, he brought this phrase to life by the way he lived his life! He was an inspiration to everyone! 😢

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter. It's great to see Carleton's legacy living on with the boys that he rescued. The rescued become the rescuers.

Once you have experienced the "street" you become sensitive to other who shared your fate. You know what it is about and you will do whatever you can to ease their burden.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

I think there are people like him but not with the same means. We need a Warren Buffett type to do this 

 

So why isn't he doing this. It's difficult for the Buffets in this world to let go off their money

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter. It's great to see Carleton's legacy living on with the boys that he rescued. The rescued become the rescuers.

Yes,. and they may not be able to help on the same scale of Carleton but every little bit helps

Edited by CLJobe
  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Gomez Stanley C said:

So the next (last one) will tell us about the guy in chapter one? The guy who has been reading the diary.

Yep

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, donna4953 said:

What about the abandoned child who was at the gate at the end of the last chapter?

He was made a part of Carleton's boys. Remember, Carleton would not leave a boy on the street. The young boy made his way to Carleton's house and Carleton, being true to his nature, took him in.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, James B. said:

Oh we need another book to this story.

I am flattered. Maybe next year 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, CLJobe said:

So why isn't he doing this. It's difficult for the Buffets in this world to let go off their money

For the Love of Money - The O’Jays

Money money money money, money [Repeat: x 6]

Some people got to have it
Some people really need it
Listen to me why'all, do things, do things, do bad things with it
You want to do things, do things, do things, good things with it
Talk about cash money, money
Talk about cash money- dollar bills, why'all

For the love of money
People will steal from their mother
For the love of money
People will rob their own brother

For the love of money
People can't even walk the street
Because they never know who in the world they're gonna beat
For that lean, mean, mean green
Almighty dollar, money

For the love of money
People will lie, Lord, they will cheat
For the love of money
People don't care who they hurt or beat
For the love of money
A woman will sell her precious body
For a small piece of paper it carries a lot of weight
Call it lean, mean, mean green

Almighty dollar

I know money is the root of all evil
Do funny things to some people
Give me a nickel, brother can you spare a dime
Money can drive some people out of their minds

Got to have it, I really need it
How many things have I heard you say
Some people really need it
How many things have I heard you say

Got to have it, I really need it
How many things have I heard you say
Lay down, lay down, a woman will lay down
For the love of money

All for the love of money
Don't let, don't let, don't let money rule you
For the love of money
Money can change people sometimes

Don't let, don't let, don't let money fool you
Money can fool people sometimes
People! Don't let money, don't let money change you,
It will keep on changing, changing up your mind.

Source: LyricFind

Songwriters: Kenneth Gamble / Leon Huff / Anthony Jackson

For the Love of Money lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Warner Chappell Music, Inc

  • Like 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..