Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,323 Words
  • 2,123 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Salvation - 49. Chapter 48

It was two weeks later that I heard from the private investigators concerning my lost son. Only now, he wasn’t my lost son. He was Michael Osborne of St. Louis. The photos the agent sent me, including photos when he was younger, further confirmed who he was. The report indicated that his family was visiting New York when Michael got into an argument with his father over a street person. Michael wanted to give him some money. His father said no, he was just a street bum. Michael talked to the boy and told his dad that he hadn’t eaten in several days. His dad said if he gave him any money, he would find out what it is like living on the street. The boy behind his father’s back gave the boys what money he had. His wife told the father, and he kicked him out.

Carleton was angry; he called the agency and asked for the parents ’ address. He then compiled the costs associated with Michael and sent them an invoice covering these costs.

It was on my official letterhead. I didn’t expect an answer, but I wanted them to know that their son was dead and it was their fault. I never heard anything back. I made arrangements with the stonemason that built the headstone to put Michaels’s name on the stone. When I went to see him, he wasn’t my lost son. He was my son Michael.

 

Strange things happen, things I never could explain or understand. During my lunch period, I went to an office supply center when I was working in my New York office and ordered a desk, chair, computer, and printer for Jon. If he were going to be staying home while going to NYU, he needed to have the tools and a quiet place to study.

Five days later, a truck pulled up to the porch. I went outside thinking it was the furniture I ordered for Jon. The driver came out, smiled, open the back door, and yelled into the truck, ‘NOW’. Three boys ran out of the truck, up on the porch, and stood behind me. The driver closed the truck door, got back in, and drove away.“Sir, he said you would give us food.”

“I’m going to do more than that.”

I steered them to the kitchen. Maria saw me and looked puzzled. I told them to sit at the breakfast bar, and I would get them some food. I poured them a glass of chocolate milk. Maria heated some food for them.

Alex came in and looked at the boys. I told him how they came. He smiled; something was up.

“I don’t know how they knew, but this is strange.”

Maria left when she came back she had several newspapers. Laying them in front of me, I then knew how they knew where to bring the boys. There was my presentation to the UN. I looked at Alex.

“I’m sorry, Carleton, it was Dad’s idea. He felt if more people knew, the boys would be treated better.”

“He has put the boys in danger. Now those perverts know where they are. Every time we go out, I’ll be having a fit and fearing that something might happen. Jon is going to NYU. He is alone.”

“No, Jon won’t be alone. He’ll have a best friend who will be trained by the most sophisticated guard system in Europe.”

“Am I to meet this young man?”

“Well, it isn’t a young man, she’s a young woman.”

“Alex, you better start explaining. I’m scared.”

“Steven, take these boys, let them take a shower, and see if you can round up some clothes for them. Go with Steven, he’ll help you and explain where you landed.”

“Alex, your turn.”

“I know you’re upset, I should have told you, but I didn’t expect anything this fast. Dad wants the world to know in the hopes that other people will volunteer to help these boys. I guess he didn’t think that part of the equation.”

“The girl?”

“She is trained in defense and is a graduate of special forces in Europe. We felt that a girl could accompany Jon better than a man. She is attractive and knows her job. She will meet Jon at the car when he arrives and will act as his girlfriend. She will walk him back to the car when he’s ready to leave for home. He doesn’t know she is who she is; they met at orientation last week. She thinks he’s cute and has flirted with him.”

“Jon didn’t mention meeting anyone.”

“He probably didn’t think much about it.”

“What’s her name?”

“Her name is Michelle, and before you ask, that is her real name.”

“Dad”

“Yes Steven”

“They are scared. I showed them the shower in my room; all three went into the bathroom. I think you need to talk to them.”

“When they are done showering, bring them to my office. I’ll talk to them. Have your brothers in the dining room for a snack. Tell David to fix something light, maybe cookies, and milk.”

Steven smiled and went to get the boys. I went to my office with Alex, Sal, and Mo.

“This has become very serious. When will the fence and security systems be completed?”

“We have another two weeks, and then the electronics need to be tested.”

“Until that is completed, I want everything on high alert. None of my boys are to go anywhere unattended.”

“I’m sorry, I hadn’t expected this.”

I heard a knock on the door. Alex went to open it, and Steven was there with the three boys. They had showered and were wearing clean clothes, which means Steven had asked the other boys for clothes. For me, it meant another trip to J. C. Penny’s or a similar store.

“Come in, boys, please sit down and don’t be afraid. We aren’t going to hurt you, but I do need your name. Will you please tell me your name and how old you are?”

“My name is Tobias, but my friends called me Toby.”

“Okay, Toby, how old are you?”

“I’m 13”

“ What is your name and age?” Looking at the boy on the right of Toby

“My name is Billy, and I’m also 13.”

Looking at the 3rd boy, “My friends call me Frankie. I’m 12.”

“My boys call me Dad, this is Alex, this is Sal, and this is Mo. We protect boys like you from strangers who want to hurt you. We make sure you have food, clean clothing, and a place to live. Steven was the first boy to come and live here. He can tell you what it’s like to live here. You can stay here if you want or I can return you to the city, that choice is yours. No one is forced to stay here.”

I watched as they digested my words. “If you decide to stay, there will be a few chores you’ll have to do as well as go to school. Please think it over, over some cookies and milk. Steven, take them to the dining room and introduce them to your brothers.”

“Okay, Dad. Let’s go guys.”

“Do you think they will stay?”

“They would be nuts if they didn’t.”

“I wonder how many more are going to be dropped off.”

“Look at it this way. You now have people doing some of the work in finding kids.”

“I have a question for you Carleton, what are you going to do when the first kid says he wants to go back out on the street?”

“I don’t know, I have never forced a kid to stay here, but they all did. For most of these kids, life here is better than their home life.”

“I’ll have to get passports.”

“Yes, you can remind your father what he has stirred with his good intentions.”

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 11
  • Wow 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow, that's one way to bring new boys to Carleton. I can see why Carleton is worried for his boys, with so many of them saved from very bad and dangerous men. I hope Alex and his Dad no what they are doing. I'm glad Jon has got Michelle as a bodyguard whilst he's at university in NY.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Wow, that's one way to bring new boys to Carleton. I can see why Carleton is worried for his boys, with so many of them saved from very bad and dangerous men. I hope Alex and his Dad no what they are doing. I'm glad Jon has got Michelle as a bodyguard whilst he's at university in NY.

It was a surprise to Carleton when he realized what Alex's dad had done. But it did result in here boys being saved. The threat to the boys at the house will open the door and may put a price on Carleton's head. (I don't know why the print is so dark. Must have hit some key-found it)

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Wow great chapter, I never expected that to happen, however Alex's dad had his reasons but it does make things a lot more complicated but such is life, and welcome to the new boys

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I do agree it was NOT SMART of Alex's father to do what he did. Names and faces should have been left out to keep anonymity. Think about it, the truck just drives up to the porch and let's 3 boys out. It could have been a truck full of assassin's to kill the adults and retake the boys. Sorry this chapter really wasn't the best thought out. Just my opinion. (I watch to many crime stories.)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, mikedup said:

Wow great chapter, I never expected that to happen, however Alex's dad had his reasons but it does make things a lot more complicated but such is life, and welcome to the new boys

It does add a new dimension to Carleton's concern about the kids.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I assume Alex dad was smart but this was NOT smart it would have been far better for Carleton to fly under the radar.One has to wonder if this is one reason why the house is empty these days.Michael's parent should be brought up on charges.Kicking a kid out because he's gay is bad enough but kicking a kid out because he gave money to another homeless kid that's mind boggling.

Carleton could have but it has been a long time. I'm sure he isn't finished with them.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, James B. said:

I do agree it was NOT SMART of Alex's father to do what he did. Names and faces should have been left out to keep anonymity. Think about it, the truck just drives up to the porch and let's 3 boys out. It could have been a truck full of assassin's to kill the adults and retake the boys. Sorry this chapter really wasn't the best thought out. Just my opinion. (I watch to many crime stories.)

People in high positions don't understand the street. They deal with people out of touch with the real world. We see that all the time in politicians. His motives were pure but he didn't do the adverse consequence analysis.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Michael's name should help give Carleton some small relief from the guilt he has carried for so long. R.I.P. Michael. :heart::heart:

Michael's verified story could give Carleton the legal (moral and other ammunition) he needs to go after those people who don't deserve to be called Michael's 'parents'. And while there is a statute of limitations in NY for charges of 'Child Abandonment', if it leads to the death or murder of a child,  they can be charged as an 'Accessory after the fact'. :devil: (while their 'defense' would argue that wasn't their intent, 'unintended consequences leading to death' overrules that). There is no statute of limitations on murder, which is why there are so many 'cold case' files. 

As for the new arrivals, :hug:surprised that Alex and his Dad didn't consider consequences. As for lack of security gates at entrance to property (next to where new office will be), Mo needs to not be 'Slo-Mo' but more proactive. Given his initial assessment of property vis-a-vis risks, that should have been priority. At least Jon is protected.

:thankyou:

 

 

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Michael's name should help Carleton some small relief from the guilt he has carried for so long. R.I.P. Michael. :heart::heart:

Michael's story could give Carleton the legal (and other ammunition) he needs to go after those people who don't deserve to be called 'parents'. And while there is a statute of limitations in NY for charges of 'Child Abandonment', if it leads to the death or murder of a child,  they can be charged as an 'Accessory after the fact'. :devil: (while their 'defense' would argue that wasn't their intent, 'unintended consequences leading to death' overrules that). There is no statute of limitations on murder, which is why there are so many 'cold case' files. 

As for the new arrivals, :hug:surprised that Alex and his Dad didn't consider consequences. As for lack of security gates at entrance to property (next to where new office will be), Mo needs to not be 'Slo-Mo' but more proactive. Given his initial assessment of property vis-a-vis risks, that should have been priority. At least Jon is protected.

:thankyou:

 

 

There are several ways that Carleton will handle Michaels' parents. The story concerning their son which he sent to them , he also sent to their local newspaper. As a result they were investigated, 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Not Alex's Father's best move, but he has made many good ones so we will forgive him.

Plus, how were they going to get her to pretend to be Jon's GF if he doesn't know about it. Did they seriously make the decision to let him fall in love with her with no actual reciprocation?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Buz said:

Not Alex's Father's best move, but he has made many good ones so we will forgive him.

Plus, how were they going to get her to pretend to be Jon's GF if he doesn't know about it. Did they seriously make the decision to let him fall in love with her with no actual reciprocation?

She will be with him as a friend who is a girl. She found him attractive and I'm sure she is attractive as well. Carleton is taking no chances. I'm sure as the other boys start to attend college, they won't the so protected. I'm not sure he's going to fall invoke with her, she is probably a little older than him. But hey, if you are in an unknown place, it helps to have an attractive friend, girl or boy.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..