Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,199 Words
  • 2,265 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Salvation - 37. Chapter 36

The architect showed me several drawings of a pool with a pool house. I asked Peter and Maria which one they liked, as it turned out we all agreed on the same design. The pool was rather large, with a rock wall that involved a recycle system. The water from the pool would pass through a filter and then re-enter the pool over the face of the rock wall. Instead of a diving board, the boys could jump into the pool from a ledge on the rock wall.The pool house contained a washer/dryer for towels, a storage area for towels and several showers.

I signed the contract and wondered what the boys would think when they saw the construction begin. Now I needed to hire someone to teach the boys how to swim and to be a life guard.

I had my first son admitted to college. Jon had completed his GED, passed and now was admitted to NYU. He would start in the fall, the nice thing was that he could travel with me when I went to work. I knew sooner or later he’d want to stay on campus. My son was growing up, I was happy for him and of course we had to celebrate.

That night after the celebration, I thought about Jon leaving and the other boys. I suspected David would be the next, these two were the leaders that the other boys look up to, I wonder who would fill their shoes.

Alex called, “You need to make another trip to Europe. There is a dinner that you must attend.”

When I tried to get more information from Alex, he just said you need to be here.

I wasn’t in favor of just flying to Europe for a dinner. That was a waste of money, unless he had some boy or boys for me. “Stephen, how many rooms do we have empty?”

“Right now just two, but a couple of the boys are thinking about bunking together.” He smiled thinking he was clever using the term bunking together because they needed to have bunk beds to accomplish staying in the same room.

“Clever Stephen,” I gave him a hug and a kiss on his head. When he goes to college, that will be hard. He was the first boy I saved.

I made arrangements to fly to Europe and confirmed my arrangements with Alex. He still wouldn’t tell me about the dinner. I just hoped I’m a guest and not the honoree. As it turned out I was just a guest. The honoree was one of the men who I met at The Hague a few years ago, The reason he was being honored, he was able to procure an agreement for member countries to pay for any child under the age of 18 who was forced into prostitution, male and female. How they were going do this was beyond me but Alex told me later that some of the money that was transferred to my accounts came from this effort.

Later that evening, “Alex, how is this going to work. Those children are kidnapped or sold into prostitution.”

“With every child we save, the committee documents the child, what is his or her nationality, and how they were put into prostitution. We then go back to the ministry of child welfare, who confirms our findings. Once that’s done we go to court and get our judgement. We are determined to end this and the best way is to draw attention to it is by having the countries pay. Do you have any idea what it costs to raise a child these days? It is a tremendous amount of money, clothing, food, entertainment, schooling, it mounts up. From birth until a child reaches 18, the amount is in the millions. You don’t think about it, a Euro here and a Euro there but over 18 years it’s a lot of money.”

“This is unbelievable but I don’t think it’ll end. They’ll get the kids from other countries, the East for example. What you’re doing is good, but somehow you need to bring the fear into those men who profit by this.

“You mean like teaching them how to swim with a weight around their legs.”

Laughing, “Yes, something like that.”

“What would you say if I told you there’s a militia of concerned men who are doing something like that?”

“I wouldn’t believe you even though I’d be all for it. What you’re talking about is vigilantes, they can get out of hand, listening to rumors, acting without proof.”

“What you say is true. I have seen the effects of uncontrolled group of men taking justice in their own hands. We have established a regiment, for a better word, of men who go after these men. They are brought before a tribunal where they may state their case. Many times they are caught in the act of getting paid or the young person accuses them. For girls it is easier in that they are generally housed, the boys work the streets.”

“Interesting, how do I fit in with this strategy? I know there’s an ulterior motive in inviting me.”

Laughing, “You’re right. A proposal is being made at the United Nations next week. The goal is to try and get the countries that are not part of the EU to go along with this plan. We want you to address the assembly telling them about your experiences and the boys you have saved from this life.”

“That’s dangerous for my boys, if word gets out that these boys came from here or wherever, they may be targeted.”

“You need to look at the big picture. If what you say could save one boy, would you do it?”

I looked at Alex, he knew how to push my buttons. If i could save one boy…

“Alex, I need to think about this. I can’t put my boys at risk. I can’t lose another boy.”

“Carleton, I know what you’re thinking. Maybe you need to take a small trip when you get home.”

“Alex, that’s hitting below the belt.” Saying that I left, took a taxi to my plane. I stayed on my plane that night. I had weird dreams, I relived every boy I saved personally, Anthony, Chris, Joey, Steven, Ronnie and Clifford. I tossed and turn all night. Just before dawn, I was visited by the one boy who could affect me more than the others. He looked at me, smiled and nodded his head yes. I woke up my face was wet from my tears.

Jimmy boarded the plane, “Sir, everyone is looking for you including the police.”

“I’m sorry Jimmy but I couldn’t stay in a hotel. I needed to get away for a few minutes. I guess I fell asleep.”

“Alex is worried. He has every policeman looking for you. You should call him and let him know you’re okay. I’ll get you a cup of coffee.”

Jimmy was right, I called Alex and told him where I was and that I was okay. I no soon hung up when I heard footsteps running up the stairs.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 12
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, I suppose boys arrive and sooner or later they grow up and their horizons expand, I hope that all goes well 

Unfortunately, that is life. That cute baby becomes a boy then a man. How this man becomes in the future will depend on the love of those around him and opportunities. The boys are being encouraged to continue their education, so college is next.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, CLJobe said:

WOW, you really did your homework. I guess it's a good thing the men at The Hague are financially helping him. Thanks for the analysis. I know when I went to college it was 15 dollars per credit hour. That was a millennium ago 😀

Wow "...$15 per credit hour. That was a millennium ago" 

Well okay, but we're only 20 years into 2nd millennium. It's not like you're reminiscing about playing 'H-O-R-S-E' at recess with Abe Lincoln with REAL horses. :rofl: 

I kid because I respect you and appreciate your wonderful writing.

Tony B (not the 'other').

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Wow "...$15 per credit hour. That was a millennium ago" 

Well okay, but we're only 20 years into 2nd millennium. It's not like you're reminiscing about playing 'H-O-R-S-E' at recess with Abe Lincoln with REAL horses. :rofl: 

I kid because I respect you and appreciate your wonderful writing.

Tony B (not the 'other').

We did play HORSE when I was in grade school, but with out horses. I enjoy your comments.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

I imagine there has to be a way for Carleton to address the UN without putting the kids at risk.If it is too much of a risk I'm then I would reluctantly say don't do it being under the radar may have been a contributing reason why this has worked so well.Is there someone they can take Stephen to before going to NYU he's going to need some help to learn how to interact with his own peer group again after being so long in this house with  the younger boys.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

I imagine there has to be a way for Carleton to address the UN without putting the kids at risk.If it is too much of a risk I'm then I would reluctantly say don't do it being under the radar may have been a contributing reason why this has worked so well.Is there someone they can take Stephen to before going to NYU he's going to need some help to learn how to interact with his own peer group again after being so long in this house with  the younger boys.

I think he will have taken some of that into account. I'm sure I know one person who will be the center of his presentation 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
56 minutes ago, Tonyr said:

Just wondering who might be the 'other' 🤔

Tsk Tsk,. you are being naughty

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Hmmm...I would be cautious about speaking at the UN re the Boy's safety as well. Luckily, he had the approved nod to be able to do so (dream) so its algud.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Buz said:

Hmmm...I would be cautious about speaking at the UN re the Boy's safety as well. Luckily, he had the approved nod to be able to do so (dream) so its algud.

Yes, he took a chance 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..