Jump to content
  • Join For Free and Get Notified of New Chapters!

    Are you enjoying a great story and want to get an alert or email when a new chapter is posted? Join now for free and follow your favorite stories and authors!  You can even choose to get daily or weekly digest emails instead of getting flooded with an email for each story you follow. 

     

    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 538 Words
  • 1,195 Views
  • 18 Comments
If you enjoyed what you have read, please leave a reaction and/or comment for the author!

Salvation - 7. Chapter 7

“Are you going to join the boys for lunch?”

“Is it lunchtime already? It feels like I just ate breakfast. Checking my watch and it was 1 o’clock.

I walked into the kitchen with Maria, “Dad, how many dogs can we get?”

“How many? I thought you were talking about one dog.”

“Well, everyone wants their own dog, except Chris. He wants one big enough to ride.” The boys laughed except Chris. There was that fear in his face again.

“Maybe Chris would prefer a horse instead of a dog.”

Then the bargaining began, “Chris, you can play with my dog if I can ride your horse.”

I hadn’t said yes to a dog or horse. “Let’s enjoy Gram’s lunch. Then we can take a walk. I want to check out our property.” Although I bought this place several years ago, I bought it for the house and never really checked the property.

Now the discussions turned to the walk. “We can check out that glass building behind the garage.”

“What glass building?”

“There is a building made out of glass. Come, we will show you.” I followed the boys, and as we rounded the corner of the garage, there was a building.

I didn’t know that that building was there. I wondered what else is on the property. “I didn’t know that was there. It’s called a conservatory and was used to grow flowers and small trees. I guess you all have a job now to clean it up.”

“Can we grow things there?”

“You all pitch in and clean it up, and I’ll take you to a nursery where you can but plants and trees. I suggest you measure the space so you’ll know how many plants you can buy and where you want to put them. The soil there might need some attention as well. Have fun.”

They forgot about the dogs for the time being, but I knew it would come up again. We continued our walk. At the northern end of the property, there were some large trees. We walked into the trees. It was quite cool, the ground was moist, and I knew if we looked, we should see mushrooms. As we walked further, I realized that boys and trees have an attraction. I could hear them talking about a treehouse or building a swing. They were enjoying the walk, and so was I.

Returning home, Maria asked them about their walk. I listened as they told her about the conservatory and the trees. “Maybe you can find a place to plant a kitchen garden.”

That started a whole new conversation. I listened for a while, then took a cup of coffee and headed to my office. About an hour later, Maria came into the office, “I think the boys are hungry, so I am fixing an early supper. They can have a snack before going to bed.”

That was okay with me. I needed to work on the Brussels’ case. It was a strange case in that the participants were involved in crimes against their country. I have prosecuted and defended clients in these international courts before. This time I was defending a case that involved freedom of religion.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 13
  • Haha 1
If you enjoyed what you have read, please leave a reaction and/or comment for the author!

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

How can you not know you have that building on your property?Wasn't he told about it before he moved in?The acreage  must be huge.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I suppose he bought the property just to get , he did not need a survey because it was bought outright from the council, plus he did not even look at the house inside before buying it , so I am not surprised that thec estate is going to throw a few surprises their way

  • Like 4
Link to comment
51 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

How can you not know you have that building on your property?Wasn't he told about it before he moved in?The acreage  must be huge.

No, he bought the property for the house

  • Like 4
Link to comment
43 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

The property sounds huge with plenty of room for the boys to explore.

It is and its looks like they will be doing that

  • Like 3
Link to comment
42 minutes ago, mikedup said:

I suppose he bought the property just to get , he did not need a survey because it was bought outright from the council, plus he did not even look at the house inside before buying it , so I am not surprised that thec estate is going to throw a few surprises their way

Robert bought from the concill, Carleton bought the house for the boys he was bent on saving. It's certainly going to throw a few surprises too Carleton

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Can I join the queue for a dog?

I'll have a black Great Dane pup please. Not just any one though. He has to be a boy, he has to be the purest deepest black, he has to have the hugest floppy (cause he's still a puppy) ears and he has to like the name Shadow.

Thanks.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Just now, Buz said:

Can I join the queue for a dog?

I'll have a black Great Dane pup please. Not just any one though. He has to be a boy, he has to be the purest deepest black, he has to have the hugest floppy (cause he's still a puppy) ears and he has to like the name Shadow.

Thanks.

Huge american black lab. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Buz said:

Can I join the queue for a dog?

I'll have a black Great Dane pup please. Not just any one though. He has to be a boy, he has to be the purest deepest black, he has to have the hugest floppy (cause he's still a puppy) ears and he has to like the name Shadow.

Thanks.

 

40 minutes ago, Tonyr said:

Huge american black lab. 

What nobody likes a Dachshund???Kidding lol

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

What nobody likes a Dachshund???Kidding lol

Mom had a Miniature Dachshund during my teenage and college years. He would bite and flip his blanket out of the bed and then from the bed he would flip it high over his bed to get a near cartoon appearance of his blankets spreading as it floated down in near perfect placement; lol, he was well practiced too!
 

I do see this as a significant challenge for Chris to ride...perhaps Shadow would be possibility! 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
7 hours ago, weinerdog said:

 

What nobody likes a Dachshund???Kidding lol

Had one of those, they have a back problem, as one would expect. You need to monitor their food intake so they don''t put on significant weight. I think any dog is a great pet. They are very loyal.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Philippe said:

Mom had a Miniature Dachshund during my teenage and college years. He would bite and flip his blanket out of the bed and then from the bed he would flip it high over his bed to get a near cartoon appearance of his blankets spreading as it floated down in near perfect placement; lol, he was well practiced too!
 

I do see this as a significant challenge for Chris to ride...perhaps Shadow would be possibility! 

I'm not sure Carleton is ready for a horse. But knowing him, if Chris wants a horse, he'll try and see if he could get him one.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Outstanding chapter! The walk around the property created new things for the boys to focus on, the conservatory and uses for the trees seem to have put pets lower down on the priority list. The Brussels case gives the impression that there’s a lot more about the arrangements behind the rescues that we not aware of yet. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, flesco said:

Outstanding chapter! The walk around the property created new things for the boys to focus on, the conservatory and uses for the trees seem to have put pets lower down on the priority list. The Brussels case gives the impression that there’s a lot more about the arrangements behind the rescues that we not aware of yet. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

I think the boys will make good use of that land

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    You probably have a crazy and hectic schedule and find it hard to keep up with everything going on.  We get it, because we feel it too.  Signing up here is a great way to keep in touch and find something relaxing to read when you get a few moments to spare.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..