Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,306 Words
  • 2,546 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Salvation - 38. Chapter 37

“Don’t you ever do this again!! I know that this is hard for you. You had me scared to death. I thought someone had kidnapped you or something.”

“Alex, I can’t lose another boy no matter what. I’ll do as you ask, but it will be my way.”

Jimmy set down my coffee, “Jimmy, do you have another one of those and maybe something else to eat.”

Alex phoned someone, “Yes he’s okay…A little upset…because he would never want to put his boys in danger…you would think that, but that isn’t the way it is in America….no, he can’t have guards around them all the time… Dad, he isn’t running a prison. Okay I’ll ask him and let you know.”

“It’s hard for them to think about things like you do. Dad wants you to hire protection.”

“I’ll think about it. I’ll have a draft of my speech next week. But mind you, it’s my speech, and I’ll cover your concerns but in my way.”

Alex smiled, “I’m glad we met.”

“I was also, but now, I’m not sure.” Then I smiled.

“I have a passenger for you?”

As he said that, I saw a police car pull up to the plane, a young police officer got out of the passenger side, open the back door, and a young man got out. They boarded the plane.

“Carleton, this is Officer Amar of the Holland police force. This is Daniel, he’s 16 and needs your help. Here are his papers.”

“Jimmy, get Officer Amar a cup of coffee and this young man some hot chocolate.”

“Welcome aboard, Daniel. Has anyone explained to you what’s about to happen?”

“Yes, Sir, Alex explained that I’d be going home with you to live with you.”

“You’re comfortable with that, coming to America and living with my sons and me?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Carleton, Office Amar will also be flying with you. Dad has asked him to evaluate your home for security and to make recommendations.”

“I should ask you the same question, Officer Amar, are you comfortable with that knowing not when you’ll return.”

“Yes, sir, that’s my assignment as I understand it.”

“Good, may I asked what’s your first name?”

“My friends call me Sal.”

“If you have luggage, I suggest you get it on board. We’ll be leaving in a few minutes.” I watched as Sal and Daniel went to the trunk of the police car, removing two suitcases.

Once they were stowed, “Mr. Jeffries, the Captain needs time to bring on provisions for the trip home.”

I knew that this was an unexpected change. “That’s okay, Jimmy, do the best you can. I want to get home as soon as possible.”

Alex came back on board, “Carleton, are we still friends?”

“Yes, why not? I don’t like doing what you asked, and I think in our future, there will be other requests I won’t like, but that will not affect our relationship.”

“Good,” he left the plane, and I watched as he was handing Jimmy his suitcase.

Jimmy came on board, “Sir, a local restaurant is sending over food, the airport catering service will be here shortly, and Don said we needed fuel. It’ll be about an hour before we’ll be ready to leave.”

“That’s okay, Jimmy.”

I guess my nerves had quieted down a little. I called Judy to arrange the limo and Peter.

In the quiet, my mind began to draft my speech. I thought of the high points and the sensitive information I wouldn’t include in my address, the boys, and other information that would not be pertinent to this subject.

Daniel came and sat beside me. “Sir, is what Alex said true?”

“I don’t know Daniel because I don’t know what he told you. If he told you I have a big family of sons, he’s correct. My boys call me Dad, and you may as well. I have a big house, the boys have chores and go to school. They have their interests, some like reading, we now have a liter of dogs, we have a conservatory where the boys grow flowers, herbs, and some vegetables. Our latest addition is a grove of fruit trees, apples, plums, cherries. The boys take care of those things. What do you like to do?”

“I like to draw and paint.”

“That’s great. A few of my sons share the same interests.”

“You said I’d have to do chores?”

“Yes, you’d have to keep your room clean, do your laundry, and help in the kitchen. With all of the boys, it wouldn’t be fair to have one person to do that. It doesn’t take long with everyone pitching in.

“What about school?”

“We have our school. The goal is to prepare you for the GED test to get into college, if you pass. I have my oldest son starting college this spring. He’ll be going to New York University. I’m quite proud of him but a little sad as well.”

“Why are you sad?”

“Because once he get’s his degree, he’ll be leaving me to start his own life. That’s how it should be, but parents feel the void.”

“Have you had anyone ask to come back here?”

“No, I haven’t. But if anyone asks, I’d bring them back. I can’t force you to stay, and I won’t, but I think you’ll like it there.”

“Mr. Jeffries, we’re ready to take off as soon as the tower clears us.”

“Thank you, Jimmy.”

Jimmy went into his safety presentation, I listened. Daniel was very attentive. “Daniel, first flight?”

He nodded, yes. “Relax and enjoy it.”

Taking off is always a little exhilarating for me. The idea of flying into the wild blue yonder. I need to get that music and have it played when we take off. I smiled

“What’s so funny?”

“Every time we take off, I’m reminded of the lyrics, flying into the wild blue yonder. I think I’ll get that song and have Jimmy play it when we take off.”

Alex smiled. He nodded. Yes, I was feeling better. I had a mental outline of my speech.

I listened to Alex and Sal chat. Daniel was watching the movie that Jimmy put on as soon as we reached altitude.

I closed my eyes and rested a little. I didn’t sleep well last night.

“Sir”

“Yes Daniel”

“May I have something to drink?”

“Sure, I’m sorry. Jimmy, my new son, would like a snack and a hot chocolate.”

Jimmy brought Daniel some crackers and cheese and his hot chocolate. He smiled and thanked Jimmy.

I put my arm around him and squeezed him. He looked at me. His eyes had a shine to them. They were wet with tears that hadn’t dropped yet.

I wondered how many boys and girls had missed hugs, a kind word, or a kiss on their heads. How many have never heard the words, I love you.

“Carleton, what are you thinking?”

“Why”

“Your eyes are tearing up.”

“They are just dry. The tears help to moisture them.”

One look at Alex, and he knew I was lying.

I drifted off again when Jimmy asked me if I wanted to eat. “I’m sorry, Jimmy, I didn’t realize that it was time for dinner.”

“I thought I better wake you, sir before the others cleaned out the kitchen.”

I chuckled. I knew with Alex it was a possibility that we’d run out of food. Jimmy served us the food from the restaurant. It was good but not as good as when Jimmy cooked from the supplies we usually stock. It didn’t make any difference to Alex, food was generic.

After dinner, I had a cup of coffee while Jimmy served pie to the rest. I looked at Daniel. He was enjoying his dessert with another cup of hot chocolate.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 17
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Daniel's addition is good timing him being 16 and with Stephen leaving he could fill the void of being an older brother.I still don't like the idea of hiring security but maybe it was something that would of had to be done eventually.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
52 minutes ago, donna4953 said:

If I am not mistaken this is getting close to explaining chapter 16. We now meet Sal and the last chapter explains why a hole is being dug for the pool.  I still would like to know how Harry and Mr Jeffries meet. Maybe Chapter 16 needs to either be found as I'm sure CL wrote it but somehow grabbed the wrong chapter out of order. Just saying LOL.

Harry met when Jeffires was in England arbitrating an agreement between countries. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Daniel being 16 is good as he'll be an older brother to the other boys. Security for Carleton and the boys was needed eventually.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Interesting chapter CL, one the that touchs on some things in previous chapters that seemed a bit out of sync, and re-reading 15 and 16 confirms that, which is part of why I gave this chapter a WOW.

The other reason for the WOW is because of Officer Sal Amar of the Holland Police, traveling for an undetermined stay at Carleton's Estate to assess the security needs for Carleton and  his 'sons'. Fencing the property will be a start. Despite Carleton's private jet departing from the 'private' airstrip, Sal's luggage should have been checked for weapons and ammo. And not for nothing, Alex bolted up the stairs onto the jet with no airport security guard interceding??

If Alex's father wants a security assessment before Carleton addresses the UN, is there a credible threat from people Alex said his father identified (Soviet/ Russian/East Block) as persons/ mafia making money from forced street prostitution of children? As a lawyer, Carleton's first instinct would be to "follow the money", which would put a target on him.

I suspect the next and coming chapters may involve danger. 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
7 hours ago, donna4953 said:

I understand that but at the end of chapter 15 they were in London then in chapter 16 Carlton is working a new case back in the US and talking to Sal with 30 boys and starting to put a pool in. in chapter 36 he meets with the architect examining pool designs and now in this chapter he is meeting Sal for the first time. Usually the chapter explains how and why Alex brings the boys to Charlton but chapter 16 does not do that. Just to say I love the story anyway

I need to recheck 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Interesting chapter CL, one the that touchs on some things in previous chapters that seemed a bit out of sync, and re-reading 15 and 16 confirms that, which is part of why I gave this chapter a WOW.

The other reason for the WOW is because of Officer Sal Amar of the Holland Police, traveling for an undetermined stay at Carleton's Estate to assess the security needs for Carleton and  his 'sons'. Fencing the property will be a start. Despite Carleton's private jet departing from the 'private' airstrip, Sal's luggage should have been checked for weapons and ammo. And not for nothing, Alex bolted up the stairs onto the jet with no airport security guard interceding??

If Alex's father wants a security assessment before Carleton addresses the UN, is there a credible threat from people Alex said his father identified (Soviet/ Russian/East Block) as persons/ mafia making money from forced street prostitution of children? As a lawyer, Carleton's first instinct would be to "follow the money", which would put a target on him.

I suspect the next and coming chapters may involve danger. 

 

I think the next chapters will probably deal with the UN speech, and then Sal's recommendation.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Daniel being 16 is good as he'll be an older brother to the other boys. Security for Carleton and the boys was needed eventually.

That was about to occur as Carleton becomes more obvious in saving boys

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, Daniel seems to be a quite boy but with Great potential

He is more aware, I wonder what is his background 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
6 hours ago, CLJobe said:

Harry met when Jeffires was in England arbitrating an agreement between countries. 

I can't recall (?) Who's Harry ? 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
45 minutes ago, Tonyr said:

I can't recall (?) Who's Harry ? 

If you remember Carleton's trip to England where he met with the men on a trade agreement. Harry met him on the way to the pub and called him Gov. His mother was in the hospital and died, 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
26 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

If you remember Carleton's trip to England where he met with the men on a trade agreement. Harry met him on the way to the pub and called him Gov. His mother was in the hospital and died, 

Oh yeah, now i do. Tkx Cal.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..