Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,189 Words
  • 2,292 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Salvation - 39. Chapter 38

As usual, landing, clearing customs, and there was Peter with the limo. Daniel’s eyes opened extra-wide, we got in the back, and I was surprised to see Stephen there waiting for us. I introduced Daniel to him, and then I sat back and listened to them. Stephen was telling all about the other boys. Stephen and Daniel were friends by the time we got home. Sal’s eyes popped open when we arrived to be greeted by all of the boys and six dogs. I laughed as the boys descended on the car. Alex got a hug, Stephen was busy introducing Daniel. I stood back with Sal.

“I didn’t expect this.”

“It’s hard to realize that these boys were placed on the street by adults, who should have been there to love them and see that they had a chance to live a happy life. I try to make up for those lost times.”

Charles and Vasily were heading in my direction. “Dad, we missed you”

I picked them up, one on each arm. Sal looked at them. The thing that amazed him was the age.

The boys led us into the house. I introduced Sal to Maria and the boys. “David, show Sal to the guest room. Alex can find his way. Sal, tomorrow we’ll give you a tour. Right now, I’d like a cup of coffee and perhaps a sandwich. Care to join me?”

I didn’t need to ask Alex his answer. He was the first in the kitchen.

I introduced Sal to Maria and explained that he was here to advise us on security issues.

I sat at the breakfast bar, surrounded by my sons. I had to hug and kiss each one and to hear about the dogs. “Dad, we have names for the dogs.”

“Good, how do you tell them apart?

“There are differences, we’ll show you, come on.”

I had to go and check on the dogs. The boys open the cage; the dogs rushed out and started to jump all over them. Their tails were wagging so hard their back end was moving side to side.

I stooped down, and now I had dogs jumping on me. The boys were laughing as the dogs tried to give me kisses.

“Dad, this is Rascal” and then they named all of the other five dogs.” I knew a trip to the pet store would solve the problem. A collar with a name tag was the answer.

After scratching the dogs behind their ears, I went back to the kitchen and my coffee. The boys stayed and played with the dogs. I noticed Daniel wanted to stay and didn’t know if it was okay until Stephen told him to stay and play with the dogs as well.

I had my lap warmers as soon as I sat down. I drank my coffee, but I had help with my sandwich. I just smiled as they looked at me with those devil eyes.

The boys came in from the garage, “Stephen, show Daniel to his room. Make sure he has towels and toothpaste in the bathroom. When he unpacks his suitcase, if he doesn’t have sweats, see if one of the boys can loan him a pair. Tomorrow you can show him his chores, the schoolhouse, the conservatory, and the fruit orchard.”

“Okay Dad.” Stephen never said no to anything I asked of him. He has been a good influence on the boys, and I’ll miss him when he goes to college.

“Well, gentlemen and sons, it’s time for me to go to bed. Tomorrow we have a lot of work to do.”

I carried Charlie and Vasily to their bed, I helped them put on their sweats, tucked them in, and they wanted a story.

I had to think of a story that wasn’t too gross. Then I remember the story of the ugly ducking. “Once on a farm there were all kinds of animals, and in the spring they had babies. Mrs. Duck had laid her eggs and sat on them to wait until they hatched. When they hatched, there were seven little ducklings, but one was very ugly. The other ducklings didn’t like her and called her names, and when the mother duck wasn’t looking, they would hit the ugly duck.

Now every morning, the ducklings lined up behind their mother and followed her to the pond. Of course, the last in the line was our ugly duckling. The ducks entered the water and began to swim behind their mother. The poor duckling could not keep up. This continued all summer.

Also in the pond were these beautiful swans. Elegant with their long necks and brilliant white feathers. The ugly duckling watched the swans and wished she was like them. They were so beautiful. As time passed, one day, one of the swans swam over to the ugly duckling, “Why are you following that duck?”

“She’s my mother”

“Look into the lake”

When the ugly duckling looked into the lake, she saw a beautiful swan looking back at her. She wasn’t a duck. She was a beautiful swan.

They smiled. I kissed them on the head, “Go to sleep, my beautiful swans.”

I had to get a book of tales to read to those two boys, they aren’t the youngest, but for some reason, they have attached themselves to me in a way the others haven’t. I love all of my sons. They all get a hug and kiss good night, even Jon, Although he asked instead of a kiss, how about a handshake. He still gets the hug.

I was tired. I knew I needed to start working on my paper for the UN. Tomorrow would come soon enough.

In the morning, I showered, shaved, and got dressed for the day. I headed to the kitchen for my morning coffee. Jon was there starting breakfast. “Jon, with you leaving, you need to select one of the boys to help in the kitchen. Maybe Daniel would like to help.”

I believe that Alex can smell food. I took a sip of my coffee, and there he was. Jon sat a cup of coffee in front of him. The boys started to come in, and then everything began. One boy making toast, one boy filling glasses of juice, one start to fry sausages, out came the cereal boxes, bottles of milk placed on the bar. Jon had the eggs cooking. Sal looked when he came into the kitchen; he just looked around, “Want some coffee.”

Overseeing all of this was Maria. She was like a general commanding her army.

I just smiled, and sure enough, I had two boys on my lap. “Well, well, it’s my ugly ducklings.”

“No, Dad, we’re swans.”

“Yes, you are definitely swans.” I gave them a hug and a kiss on their head. Alex looked at me. I mouthed last night’s story.

“Peter, we need to go back to the pet store. It seems I promised some boys name tags for the dogs. We also have to go shopping for Daniel. Maria, do you need anything for the kitchen?”

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 21
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

20 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

I thought of one more thing for the boys and this one won't be too expensive a couple of basketball hoops.Basketball is popular almost everywhere.At the risk of sounding like no fun the one thing NOT to get is a playstation that would mess things up there.

That is a good idea 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Great chapter, Daniel has definitely fitted in fast, the speech is going to be rather intense I think

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Chris L said:

"She was a beautiful swan." Sometimes in life, people attach and follow the wrong leader only to find, later in life, they're made of so much more. 

True, the story originally was about an ugly duck. But you are right, sometimes we walk behind when we should lead.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Tonyr said:

As the second chapter of the day was posted earlier, does it mean today we're getting a third one?

No but I'll try

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. Daniel will fit right in with the other boys.

Yes he will. Being a little older helps

  • Like 4
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, Daniel has definitely fitted in fast, the speech is going to be rather intense I think

I think it will, hopefully there will bet a positive response

  • Like 4
Link to comment

WOW loving the story and have caught up with the rest of you now... I may need a daily dose though or I might suffer form withdrawal symptoms. How many boys are there now? Daniel seems like a good kid but I think I've fallen in love with the Ugly Ducklings.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Kev said:

WOW loving the story and have caught up with the rest of you now... I may need a daily dose though or I might suffer form withdrawal symptoms. How many boys are there now? Daniel seems like a good kid but I think I've fallen in love with the Ugly Ducklings.

there are now 33 boys including Daniel.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I could fit right in in that kitchen, as long as I was the one pouring juice or doing the toast or laying things out. As much as I talk about and love eating, I am horrendous at cooking.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Buz said:

I could fit right in in that kitchen, as long as I was the one pouring juice or doing the toast or laying things out. As much as I talk about and love eating, I am horrendous at cooking.

Unless you try you'll never succeed. They have tutorials on the net, use them, watch them till you ae comfortable and then try it, you might be surprised how well you do

  • Like 1
Link to comment
16 hours ago, CLJobe said:

Unless you try you'll never succeed. They have tutorials on the net, use them, watch them till you ae comfortable and then try it, you might be surprised how well you do

No. I can't believe I am admitting this. I am going to be 59 this year coming. I have cooked a full meal for a group of people twice in my life. Both times it turned out way awesome which shocked the hell out of the Guests and even more so me e.g. the last time I cooked my Nephew came home for work and asked what was for tea. His Wife advised that I was cooking. His reply was, 'Oh great. Are we having KFC?' I am that bad. It is frustrating/lucky that I have lotsa People in my Family who are the total opposite. They can look through, what seems to me, an empty cupboard, etc. Then 20mins later they are calling everyone to the table to enjoy a yummy feast. Cooking is way stressful for me. More than one pot on the stove and I'm done. I find it really complicated.

It is funny, but then it is not also.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Buz said:

No. I can't believe I am admitting this. I am going to be 59 this year coming. I have cooked a full meal for a group of people twice in my life. Both times it turned out way awesome which shocked the hell out of the Guests and even more so me e.g. the last time I cooked my Nephew came home for work and asked what was for tea. His Wife advised that I was cooking. His reply was, 'Oh great. Are we having KFC?' I am that bad. It is frustrating/lucky that I have lotsa People in my Family who are the total opposite. They can look through, what seems to me, an empty cupboard, etc. Then 20mins later they are calling everyone to the table to enjoy a yummy feast. Cooking is way stressful for me. More than one pot on the stove and I'm done. I find it really complicated.

It is funny, but then it is not also.

Sometime we think complex when it really is simple. There are two dishes you need to conquer, making soup and making stews. These aren't complicated. And they are so forgiving. Don't give up. Get a book. Cooking for Beginners. BTW- 59 is young compared to this 80+ guy

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..