Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 934 Words
  • 1,615 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Salvation - 46. Chapter 45

That night I didn’t sleep well. I knew that Nour’s family could cause problems if they knew where he was. The next morning I spoke to Alex, Sal, and Mo about my fears.

“Don’t worry, they will never find out, Dad made sure of that. Do you remember the story about the man found in the river when we were in Israel? Well, there was a second story about a young Arab lad found dead on the street. A local mosque claimed the body and buried it as commanded by the Quran. It would be strange if someone found out differently, particularly a blond, blue-eyed Arab.”

I called Judy and arranged for Moses’s mother to meet in my office tomorrow morning at 10. I knew she wasn’t going to like what I had to say, but I did what I could.

After breakfast, the boys and I were going to take a walk. Of course, we had six little followers, the conservatory was doing fine, I had to pick a few herbs and smell them, and of course, they looked at me as I chewed them. Then we went to the orchard.

“Well, boys, I think there will be some fruit this fall. Not sure about the cherries, but these small plums and maybe apples will have a little. Next year you’ll have a lot.”

The swimming pool was coming along. The sides were in, and they started on the rock wall. I noticed the hot tub, I’ll enjoy that.

It took us two hours to walk around. It was a slow walk, and of course, I had to listen to everything they said. We stopped at the schoolhouse. I asked about the library, some of the boys didn’t know about it, so a trip to the library. Of course, I showed them some of the books I thought would be of interest to them. I ended up reading them a book. They sat on the floor all around me. I sat on the floor, as well. I had my two sitting on my lap. As I read, I tried to sound like the character; they laughed. I enjoyed what I was doing. I remember some of the stories, but the boys listened as if they never heard any of them, then I realized they never really heard any of them.

Then I thought of my next project, a movie theater for them.

I continued to read until Maria found us and said lunch was ready. I had to promise the boys we would come back after lunch, and I’d finish reading to them.

Walking into the dining room, “Where have you been?”

“I was in the library reading to the boys.”

Lunch was hamburgers; they were very large hamburgers. The boys ate them along with their french fries. “Boys slow down, don’t eat so fast. We have plenty of time to finish the book.”

I looked at Alex, “We need to get them some current children’s books. Why don’t you come to work with me tomorrow and you can buy some for them.”

He nodded, yes. I knew he would load up on New York hot dogs. “Sal, how is the security fence coming along?”

“It’s on schedule, they’re working on the back of the property now. The front from the driveway and the left side is done, looking at the house.”

Lunch finished, back to reading. This time I took a pillow with me. I tried to put in some sound effects, they laughed. I’d have stood on my head if I thought they would laugh. As I read the story, I’d look at their faces. They were into it. This was going to be one of my rituals, may not be every night but at least one night a week.

I read until dinner time. I still wasn’t finished. I had to stop a few times to explain what I was reading. Some of the boys never heard of a raft, for example, so I had to explain what a raft was. That was okay with them. Alex asked if it was the reading or the time I was spending with them. It didn’t matter to me. I was enjoying myself.

When I went to give them their hugs and goodnight kiss, they thanked me for reading to them, which got them an extra hug. Nour since this was his first night. I spent some extra time with him.

“Have you met some of the boys or all of the boys?”

“They all came and told me their name, but it’ll take me a time to remember.”

“Did you like the story?”

“Yes, could you get the Arabian Nights? My nurse read them to me. About Aladdin and Sinbad, I think the boys will like them.”

“I’ll look for them tomorrow when I go to work. If I find them, you’ll have to help me with the sound effects.”

He gave me a hug and a kiss on my cheek. Of course, he got my hug and kiss as well.

My two devils, Charlie and Vasily, get a special treat, a nursery rhyme with them as the actors. Only I was running out of nursery rhymes. Tonight was Jack and the Bean Stalk. It was Jack and his helper, and Mo was the giant. But Mo wasn’t a bad giant. I wonder what would happen when they knew the real story.

I fell asleep and felt good. I was visited by a smiling boy who threw me a kiss.

I just wished he could’ve shared this house with me

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 19
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

29 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

So Carleton reading to the kids can I assume all the kids are proficient in English?Or are some still a work in progress?I really would like to try one of Maria's very large hamburgers just have to make sure Alex is not around when I do

I was surprised when I was in Europe, in most cases I was odd man out. The young people speak very good English, thanks to tv and music.

 

25 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter. I love the reading to the boys.

Yes, that is aa great way to share yourself among so many 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
33 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

I hope so much that someone, somehow will be able to find the name of Carleton's first 'lost son'. The "smiling boy (and sometime spectral visitor?), who threw me a kiss".

Carleton deserves that before he goes to his final reward, joining this son in heaven.

:hug::heart:

Keep hoping you might just get your answer

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
27 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, reading was I am sure like a cherry 🍒 on  The cake to most of the boys , the developments are going well is seems

How about a cherry icing instead of a cherry on top

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Like everyone else, awesome chapter as per usual. Loving every minute of it, thought the swimming pool was being used in chapter 44, but then when I re-read you were just telling us there that thing gradually got back to normal, the swimming was finished and the etc etc... Not that it had been finished yet. He needs someone who likes reading, he can employ me to read tot he kids. Think I mind like to join his zoo, mind I'm good with gardening too; reckon one of the team that he has could be a brit from the north?

  • Like 5
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Kev said:

Like everyone else, awesome chapter as per usual. Loving every minute of it, thought the swimming pool was being used in chapter 44, but then when I re-read you were just telling us there that thing gradually got back to normal, the swimming was finished and the etc etc... Not that it had been finished yet. He needs someone who likes reading, he can employ me to read tot he kids. Think I mind like to join his zoo, mind I'm good with gardening too; reckon one of the team that he has could be a brit from the north?

Definitely, why not a Brit from the north, I enjoyed my times in England. Made several good friends, unfortunately many have moved on to a new dimension. I have one that I met in Holland, now owns a pub in England.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

As an ex-Librarian (public), I loved the reading. Knowledge is power.

We used to have a story candle. Once the candle was lit, everyone knew it was storytime. Then one lucky kid (who was usually really chuffed) got to blow the candle out once storytime was over. Such a simple thing but the Blower Outer (Yeah. Need a netter name) really felt special.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Buz said:

As an ex-Librarian (public), I loved the reading. Knowledge is power.

We used to have a story candle. Once the candle was lit, everyone knew it was storytime. Then one lucky kid (who was usually really chuffed) got to blow the candle out once storytime was over. Such a simple thing but the Blower Outer (Yeah. Need a netter name) really felt special.

Giving the kids something special is always good. Kids need acceptance, they need to be part of something and using the candle was a great touch. I remember as a kid wanting a club house, which really was a shack. It was important to have some symbol, for me it was a club house. For those children, it was the ritual of the candle. Excellent.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..