Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,090 Words
  • 2,248 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Salvation - 35. Chapter 34

In the morning, I heard the shower, I called room service for breakfast for two. Joey came out dressed, “Joey I called room service for breakfast. I’m going to take my shower, if it comes give this to the bellboy.”

I went and took my shower, got dressed and when I came out, breakfast was set up. I finished packing, “Do I add your new clothes to my suitcase or not?”

“If I want to come back, you promise to bring me back?”

“Yes, and I’ll repeat this promise in front of my crew.”

I phoned Judy that I was leaving and should be home this afternoon. I would be in tomorrow and would bring her up to date.

Breakfast was okay, eggs, bacon and toast. Coffee for me, hot chocolate for Joey, he had a mustache when he was finishing drinking his hot chocolate. “You need to brush your teeth and wash your mustache off.”

I could hear him giggle when he saw his mustache. We met everyone in the lobby. They guys were still eating, we joined them, I had just coffee, Joey had toast with jelly from the table and a glass of orange juice.

Don said we had an 11 am take off. “That’s okay, we can wait on the plane. Joey can watch cartoons and I can do some work or maybe I’ll get a newspaper and see what is happening.”

By the time the guys finished eating and I settled the check, it was 10. We only had to wait 45 minutes before take off, which wasn’t so bad. Joey watched cartoons, I had coffee and read the paper, nothing on the truck yet.

Jimmy turned off the movie, rolled up the screen and I knew we’d be taking off soon. “Be sure your seatbelt is secures. We might hit a bump in the road.”

He looked at me and laughed. But he did fasten his seat belt.

The take off was very routine for me but not Joey. This was the only second time he flew and this will be a much longer flight. Add to that he was going to a place where he had no idea what would happen.

Once we reached cruising altitude, Jimmy dropped the screen and resume the cartoon. He brought me a cup of coffee and a hot chocolate for Joey. I went back to reading my newspaper.

Joey nodded off, I put my arm around him and let him lean into me. Jimmy came with a cup of coffee for me, “He’s afraid”

“Yes, I think they were all afraid, when you think about it, the people they had met on the street were there to take advantage of them. Then along come someone making an offer which is unbelievable to them. Do they trust me or not, they have trusted in the past and have gotten hurt, so who should they trust now? I think when you’re on the bottom, you think it can’t get any worse, so maybe I’ll get a good meal out of it.”

“And now?”

“I have 32 boys, 33 with Joey. if he stays.”

“Would you send him back if he didn’t want to stay?”

“Yes, but it’d hurt me if I had to do that. He’d be on my mind all the time like my lost son.” Jimmy knew who I meant.

“Do you want something to eat or just more coffee?”

“Yes, could I have something to eat?”

“I didn’t know you were awake.”

“Yes, I heard what you said. Maybe I won’t want to go back.” I leaned over and kissed him on the head.

Jimmy did serve us a nice hot meal, chicken legs, crispy, baked potato and a small side salad. For dessert he had pie with ice cream.

Joey cleaned up his plate, Jimmy brought a plate with more chicken, he looked at Joey, he looked at me, I nodded yes, he nodded yes to Jimmy. Jimmy placed the remaining 2 chicken legs on his plate. He looked at me and smiled, he’ll fit right in with my boys.

 

Landing, there was Peter with the car. Jimmy took the suitcase to the limo, when the boys saw him coming, the back door opened and 5 boys rushed Jimmy. I laughed as they came and gave him a hug. I introduced Joey to them and then they literally took over. I thanked Jimmy, rode up front with Peter.

When we got home, the welcoming committee was there on the porch. Dave opened the back door, I opened my own door. Alex came and gave me a hug. “You missed me too?”

“Yes, they wouldn’t feed me like you do?”

“I bet.”

“Who’s the new boy?”

“His name is Joey, probably Joseph, saw him at the airport being hustled by three older boys. I think he ’s 10 going to be 11 soon.”

Walking into the house, I was swamped with the other boys. I finally just sat on the floor in the living room and let them all sit next to or near to me. Of course Charlie and Vasily were on my lap. I got a lot of love from my boys. I saw Joey standing at the edge of the group. I looked at Alex, all of sudden Joey was in the air and landed next to me.

“Boys, this is your new brother Joey. I want you to show him around. He needs lots of friends and I know you all will be his friend.” Charlie got up and went and sat on Joey’s lap.

“My name is Charley and that’s my best friend Vasily. You can be my best friend as well.”

I watched Joey’s expression, like is this place crazy and all of these boys, I think it was hard for Joey to comprehend everything. He probably thought this was a boys home like an orphanage or something.

Jon came in and asked if anyone wanted pie and ice cream. That emptied the room, led my Alex. “Steven, please show Joey around, explain how we do things and show him his room. I think we have one room empty now.”

“No, we have two rooms empty. More of the boys want bunk beds.”

“Joey, Steven was the first boy who came to live with me. If you have any questions, he will answer them for you, particularly if I’m not home. Now let’s go and get some ice cream and pie before Alex eats it all. .

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 21
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

3 hours ago, CLJobe said:

That is being street-wise. You sleep with one eye open. I'm not sure how old Alex is but he is definitely younger than Carleton. Yes Carleton is in his mid fifties. My guess Alex is between 25 and 30. Probably more closer to thirty 

When Carleton gets older Alex could step right in and not miss a beat. IMO Maria would be the hardest to replace 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

When Carleton gets older Alex could step right in and not miss a beat. IMO Maria would be the hardest to replace 

Yes, you are right. As the boys get older, they will be going on to colleges, who knows what they will become. We do know they are placed around the world. more or less carrying on what Carleton started.. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Pie and Ice-Cream. Haven't had that for so long. Being from the Pacific - Samoan Pineapple Pie. I've seen different versions, but I know which one I like. Yum! With plain vanilla ice cream please.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, Buz said:

Pie and Ice-Cream. Haven't had that for so long. Being from the Pacific - Samoan Pineapple Pie. I've seen different versions, but I know which one I like. Yum! With plain vanilla ice cream please.

I'm with you on the vanilla ice cream. You'll have to send me some of that Samoan Pineapple pie

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/27/2020 at 11:59 AM, weinerdog said:

When Carleton gets older Alex could step right in and not miss a beat. IMO Maria would be the hardest to replace 

Well he may have, but not at this house or property. He may have gone back to Europe and taken the any of the boys that may have been there when Carleton died. Remember the Prologue

A few Quotes from the Prologue:   

When I retired, I wanted a house that was in the country. I found a place that was being sold at a tax auction. According to the perspective, the owner of the house had died and left no heirs. I drove to the location to check out the property. It was a large house on quite a bit of land. Taxes amounted to several thousand dollars, which, fortunately, being a bachelor all of my life, I could pay this tax lien and still have a comfortable income from my portfolio.

I opened the first door on my right, entered, it was an office. All of the furniture was in place, this I didn’t expect. I opened the blinds to let in some light and went to sit at the desk. When I sat down, I sat on some papers. Rising up enough to extract the papers, I began to read them. They were descriptions of the house and the names of people to contact. I was well into reading the papers when I man entered the office.

“Hello, my name is Steven Jefferies, and this was my father’s house.” Saying that, he went and flipped the light switch. The lights came on. “When the county clerk called and said the house was sold, I came over and threw the electrical switch.”

He went to a bookcase and picked a book. “Before my father died, he finished this book with instructions that it would be given to the new owner. This is the history of the house and how it got to what it is today. I think my father hoped that whoever bought the house would continue what he started.”

“I don’t understand. If this is your father’s house, why didn’t you inherit this house?”

“My offices are across the street. They were once a part of this property. Upon his death, my father deeded those offices to us. I have brothers all over the world. All have been set up in business by my father. I think after reading that book, you’ll get to know my father and that painting on the wall behind the stairs.”

Edited by pickuptoy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..