Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,138 Words
  • 2,227 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Salvation - 19. Chapter 19

I knew I was going to lose this battle. It isn’t that I don’t like dogs, it’s just every boy will want one, and with the prospect of more boys, I’ll have more dogs than a local animal shelter. Let’s not think about Charlie’s horse.

The contest was a good idea; I just needed a prize that would motivate that isn’t an animal. Maybe a bird, they could place it in a cage in the conservatory. No, on second thought, they would want a parrot. Fish now that would be something that would be easy to care for, and they could have a fish tank in their room. Now to find a way to slip it into their minds. Of course, we could have a mixture. I wouldn’t mind a few dogs, no more than three. Parrots, if kept in the cage or on their post in their room, fish, no problem there, then each could have one, no saltwater though.

I put away the prints, heading toward the kitchen for coffee, I heard someone crying. I stopped and listened, then began moving toward the sound. I found Harry curled up in the corner of the living room. I sat down beside him and pulled him into my arms. He continued to cry as I began to rock. My heart was crying for him, he was hurting, and there was no one to take away the pain, “Harry, let’s go for a ride.” We went out the front door. I got in my car, and Harry sat in the front with me. I drove to my special place.

Arriving at the cemetery, I walked with Harry to my lost son. There were tears in my eyes, and there always will be. Harry looked at the stone. He looked at me and saw my tears. I sat on the stone seat, pulled him into my lap. “When we lose something very dear to us, I find it always hurts. This is the resting place of someone very special to me, just like your mom was very special to you. I come here whenever I asked myself why, why do I seek out boys to save from the streets, why am I hurting when a boy says no, or why do I hurt when a boy also hurts. For me, the answer lies here, under that earth, under that stone without a name. Let me tell you the story of my lost son.

I sat there crying as I told Harry about the young man I should’ve been able to save, and I didn’t. When I was done, I was crying as hard as Harry. Harry looked at me, “Thanks, Dad. I now know I’m not the only one.” Still crying, I held Harry close, I guess I was saving him, for the moment he was the lost son. I’m not sure if he realized it or not, it didn’t matter. Both of us were feeling the pain of someone special that was lost to us for now.

“I have faith that someday, I’ll see that young man again so I can apologize for not saving his life. That’s the little thought that keeps me going. Someday you too will see your mom, she’ll be pain-free and radiantly beautiful. That’s the thought that will keep you going.”

Harry never struck me as a demonstrative kid, but he gave me a strong hug and a kiss on my cheek. I kissed him back, let’s go and get some ice cream. That always helps after crying.

I drove to the local ice cream parlor and bought two of their large ice cream containers, one chocolate, and one butter pecan. Heading home, he was holding the ice cream, “This is cold, how much further?”

“We’re here. Take one into Gram, and I’ll take the other,”

“You shouldn’t have bought ice cream before supper. The boys won’t have an appetite” Then she remember who she was talking about and laughed. “What’s the occasion?”

“We went to check on someone, he was okay and said we should have ice cream.” Maria knows where I was. My eyes were still red.

One of the boys heard ice cream; they were all in the kitchen within 1 minute. Steven knew, must be the ice cream without looking at me. He remembered I did the same thing when I took him there, as the other boys did as well. Quietly, they came and hugged me, surprising Harry, they hugged him also.

Of course, boys being boys, they had to have a scoop of each, now we are not talking about ice cream parlor scoops. I don’t know where Maria got her scoops, but they were the largest scoops I have ever seen. She said she uses them when making a certain German cake. I never understood, but the boys did.

When everyone had a bowl of ice-cream, they wanted to know when supper would be. I laughed; I couldn’t help it. Maria laughed as well.

Supper was late, as I expected. The boys didn’t complain. Sometimes I think they like to kid around as well. When they begin to kid and joke, I interpret that as a sign of healing. Don’t jump to the conclusion that they are totally healed, for that isn’t true. They will carry their scars for the rest of their life. Even Steven bears his scars, and sometimes he slips in my bed after a bad nightmare. He isn’t the only one who looks for relief from nightmares, my bed, or my scent somehow is an anchor that reminds them they are safe, and the causes of their nightmares will not happen again.

We sat around the dining room table. Yes, the kitchen table was too small and chatted. The boys were excited about the attic rooms. They wanted to know if they get first dibs. I hadn’t heard that term in a long time. The boys had to explain it to the boys who didn’t know what it meant. One thing that was becoming very clear to me was the boys picking up foreign languages. Hearing English, French, Italian was becoming more obvious to me. Even Harry, with his English accent, was slipping French words into their discussions.

I was growing tired, physically as well as emotionally. “I think I’m going to go to bed. I have some work to do tomorrow, and I want to get an early start. I also want to take the time to check out the construction. All of you sleep well.” I went and gave each boy a hug and a kiss good night.

I went and took a relaxing hot shower, brush my teeth, slipped on my sweats, and headed right to bed. I think I was asleep before my head hit the pillow.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 17
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Just now, CLJobe said:

everyone loves ice cream, I don't know anyone who doesn't like ice cream, Do you? 

Dark chocolate only, some times frozen yogurt . 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Carleton was thinking about one or two dogs.At different times we would have one or two dogs at a time. To me when it was two dogs they always seemed happier.

When Carleton told Harry the story he mentioned something about boys saying no.I guess that means some boys turned him down. I could understand why they would  but I bet that hurts Carleton almost as much as the boy who died. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

Carleton was thinking about one or two dogs.At different times we would have one or two dogs at a time. To me when it was two dogs they always seemed happier.

When Carleton told Harry the story he mentioned something about boys saying no.I guess that means some boys turned him down. I could understand why they would  but I bet that hurts Carleton almost as much as the boy who died. 

I think he was referring to his emotions. When he offers a boy to come and live with him, and the boy says no, he is hurt. I don't think that hes happened, yet.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
3 hours ago, CLJobe said:

everyone loves ice cream, I don't know anyone who doesn't like ice cream, Do you? 

Mint Dark Chocolate or Vanilla 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Sad and happy chapter the boys are settling in well,ice cream yip however I offer vanilla son i can add what ever topping I feel like . Generally I finish a 2 litre ice cream in three sittings, (2 litres equals about 3.5 quarts) sorry never worked with imperial before

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Of curse, we could have a mixture. I wouldn’t mind a few dogs, no more than three. 

I've noticed this mistake a in few chapters. I believe it should be of course not of curse.

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
59 minutes ago, James B. said:

Of curse, we could have a mixture. I wouldn’t mind a few dogs, no more than three. 

I've noticed this mistake a in few chapters. I believe it should be of course not of curse.

 

I'm going to have to look for that. I thought I had proofed these chapters for those kind of mistakes, I'll be on my toes now. Thanks

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

I'm going to have to look for that. I thought I had proofed these chapters for those kind of mistakes, I'll be on my toes now. Thanks

No problem I just though maybe your spell check may not have caught it.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, James B. said:

No problem I just though maybe your spell check may not have caught it.

The spell check didn't which is strange because when I add a new chapter it does pick up on somethings. I appreciate these comments because then I can go back and correct the spelling. Which I did .

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Spell-Check is a weak program, it will substitute a word which requires the least number of letter (usually vowel) changes. Some day a genius will design a spell-check program that will attempt to substitute a word that has meaning in the sentence. But that is far in the future, spell-check programs cannot read an author's mind every time to substiute the correct word.
Mister Will

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Will Hawkins said:

Spell-Check is a weak program, it will substitute a word which requires the least number of letter (usually vowel) changes. Some day a genius will design a spell-check program that will attempt to substitute a word that has meaning in the sentence. But that is far in the future, spell-check programs cannot read an author's mind every time to substiute the correct word.
Mister Will

You are right. There have been times when I knew I spelled a word correctly and they thought it was an error

  • Like 2
Link to comment

There is one hope for an intelligent spell-check program and that is the increasing intelligence of AI (artificial intelligence) programs. Let's see what the programming geniuses can come up with in the next few years.
Mister Will

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Will Hawkins said:

There is one hope for an intelligent spell-check program and that is the increasing intelligence of AI (artificial intelligence) programs. Let's see what the programming geniuses can come up with in the next few years.
Mister Will

If they could develop a program with a high confidence , that would be great for people like me

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..