Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,628 Words
  • 2,250 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Salvation - 21. Chapter 21

We landed in Amsterdam, Alex was there with a car. “We have rooms in The Hague.”

I waited for Alex to tell me what the crisis was all about, he didn’t. “We can talk later. I’m glad you came. It will make everything so much easier.”

“Alex, you have me being very curious. I’m anxious to know what the reason for this impromptu meeting.”

During the drive to our hotel, Alex made small talk. He wanted to know about the alterations. I told him the exterior of the house has been changed significantly and now looks European.

“You should have expected that your architect is European.”

“I like what he did, the boys are excited, and if everything stays on plan, the expansion should be completed by the end of next week. I have asked the boys to pick out the furniture while I am gone.”

Alex smiled. I knew I’d have another boy to take home, that I expected. But that couldn’t have been the crisis.

“Carleton, we have a meeting with the gentleman that headed up the group the last time we met. He’ll let you know the problems we’re facing. I’ll tell you this. You are the key to the resolution.”

Now he had my curiosity raising. If it wasn’t a legal case, I couldn’t think of what crisis I could contribute to the solution.

I checked in to the hotel. Alex said to book for 4 days. “Do we have time for a cup of coffee?”

“Yes, we would get it at the embassy.”

“Okay, let me drop off my luggage, and then we’ll go.”

“No need, the bell boy will take it to your room.” I thought this must be really important for Alex to push to get to the embassy.

We walked to the embassy. Alex was talking in German. He whispered for me to pretend I understood. Alex didn’t know that to be an effective international lawyer. I learned how to speak German, French, and Spanish. He asked about the expansion, just making conversation, non-critical conversation as if old friends were chatting.

Entering the embassy, as if we lived there. A man led us to a small room where we were met by the man I met at the secretive meeting several weeks ago.

“Ah, Mister Jeffries, it is nice to see you again. I apologize for the urgent call. Would you like a cup of coffee?”

“Yes, please.”

“I believe that the last time we spoke, it was mentioned that the Russian Mafia was very active in bringing young boys and girls into Europe as sexual slaves. The newspapers have been very influential in bringing this to the population’s attention, which has resulted in significant arrests. It has also resulted in the death of some of the children to keep them from talking. We have saved 20, ranging in ages from 7 to 17. We have saved 25 girls, who have been sent to several homes run by the Church. I need you now more than ever. It’s my understanding that your expansion is about finished. The architect said he needed to install the bathroom plumbing and then to paint. He expects by the time you get home, that will be done, except for the painting. Carleton, I know we’re asking a lot. Can you help us?”

“My plane can only carry a maximum of 10, we’ll have to make two trips. I’m going to make and educated guess, and you already have the passports.”

Alex smiled, “Yes, and they all are your sons.” Then he laughed.

“We should leave tomorrow morning. I’ll notify the crew. I need one day of rest, and then we’ll fly back for the other 10. I have a favor to ask. I don’t want to go before a court asking for 30 boys to be adopted. I trust you will prepare the birth certificates and have the approved court orders.”

They all smiled. The mysterious man finally introduced himself as the ambassador from Germany. I knew they were powerful men. I assumed the others were similar ambassadors or at least part of an ambassador’s office.

The ambassador handed me a briefcase. When I opened it, there were passports, birth certificates, and approved adoption papers.

I returned to the hotel with Alex in the room. I called Maria and told her I was bringing home a guest.

I called Ronnie and told him I wanted to leave first thing in the morning, “Tell Jimmy to overstock the plane. I’m bringing Alex, and he can eat for ten boys.”

Alex laughed, “You are getting good at this.”

“I think I’m full, Alex, we need to develop another place. 30 boys is a lot, I’ll have to increase my staff considerably.”

“We will contribute financially to help you.”

“Money isn’t the problem, but space is. The architect and I looked at expanding the house. He doesn’t recommend it. Space is the problem.”

That night I worried about what this will mean for the boys and Maria. I guess I doubted myself. As I fell into a deep sleep, I had a dream. A young boy came to me in the dream, at first I didn’t recognize him and then I gasped as I did. He looked at me and smiled. He nodded yes and then slowly disappeared. I woke; my eyes were wet with tears. He was reminding me of my oath.

I looked at my watch. It was time to get up, and not too soon as Alex was banging on my door. “I have been knocking for the last 5 minutes. When you sleep, you really sleep.”

“Sorry, I had a visitor. Let me get dressed, and then we can have breakfast. The plane is ready.”

We had breakfast at the hotel. I didn’t eat much. I still was concerned, Alex said not to check out. I couldn’t understand why until he said, “I’ll check you out after your second trip.”

“Riding to the plane, Alex, are the Russians a series problem?”

“Yes, Carleton, we did one raid, and before we got everyone out, they had killed five children. Our police shot them. It seems that’s the only way we can handle the situation, shoot them. But more keep coming, we keep finding them.”

When I got to the plane, the stairs were down. There was no one in sight. Alex and I boarded the plane. Jimmy had everyone in a seat, seat belts on. He was giving them the safety spiel. Alex introduced me. I looked at the boys. They were scared, they were undernourished, and they wore rags. “I’ll be right back, wait for me.”

“Jimmy, do you have enough food?”

“Plenty, I ordered enough for ten, and then a food truck came and unloaded even more.”

“Good, feed them now. They look like they are starving.”

Jimmy had a large box of egg sandwiches. He started to pass them out. The boys looked at them, and then they began to eat them, slowly at first, and then they went at it. “Jimmy give them something to drink and another sandwich.”

Alex came back with clothes, t-shirts, jeans, socks and tennis shoes. The boys smiled, the first I saw. “Carleton, when you are over the ocean, dump the old clothes.” Of course, I couldn’t do that, but I’ll dispose of them when we get home.

“Sir, we are ready.”

“Ok” Jimmy made sure all the boys have their seat belts fastened. I had one boy nestled on my left side and two of the older boys sitting across from me. I watched and chuckled from the looks on their faces as we lifted off.

It was very quiet until we lifted off. The boy across from me introduced himself as Jon. He spelled it for me, “Many people spell it as John.”

“Is it true what Alex said, we’re going to America, and we’re listed as your sons?”

“Yes, it’s true. You’ll be living with me and my ten sons who are living there now. You will have a lot in common.”

“This’s very strange for us. The little ones are afraid. They have had a terrible time.”

“I have two boys who are seven years old, well they were 7 when they came to live with me, now one of them is about to be 8. How old are you?”

“I’m 17. I just had my birthday. Yes, I know what you are thinking. I was 10 when they kidnapped me.”

For seven years, he was a sex slave, what scars he must have.

“Did Alex tell you that you’ll never be made to do that stuff again.”

“Yes, I didn’t like doing it, but if I didn’t, they would beat me, and then they would use me. After a while, you just give in.”

“Do you think you might need help getting over these experiences.”

“I don’t know. I learned to train my mind to be someplace else. I’d pretend to be walking in a forest where it was quiet and very peaceful. I helped the other kids to do the same.”

I was concerned there still might be scars. I need to talk to Alex and see if they should see a professional.

“Mr. Jeffries, should I serve the food? We are over the ocean?”

“You boys hungry?”

When is a boy ever not hungry? They all said yes, in four different languages. “Go ahead and serve them. Do you have enough hot chocolate for them?”

While they were eating, Jimmy dropped the screen and put on cartoons. You could hear them laugh at the cartoon antics.

Before we landed, I called Maria and told her what was happening. She said she’ll handle it. I knew she would.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 8
  • Wow 5
  • Sad 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

3 hours ago, CLJobe said:

Carleton knew something was up. Alex was already planning something when Carleton told him about the rooms in the attic. Now the question, are the rooms going to be enough. I think a remodeling job will be needed.  

There will be only the two of us for Turkey Day, and we eat in two different rooms.

Take care,

With at least two 'safe source' Covid-19 vaccines, from Pfizer and Moderna, on the horizon, (not Sino, Brazilian or Russian which have so far failed to provide reports to CDC to verify),  you CL are in the 'primary' group to get vaccine (age or Front Line) & could be eating together by summer? 

However, you need 2 shots 6 months apart. Second, (fly in ointment, not on head), ONLY 30 Million shots MAY be available immediately. 1/2 to U.S. and 1/2 for rest of world. BUT look on the bright side, it took YEARS to get a Polio vaccine. These C-19 vaccines took less than 1 year (and NO I'm not old enough to know this first hand! I paid attention in history class!).

Have faith and patience, fingers crossed, and DO NOT let politicians :fight:get in the way. 

Take care. Whipped cream on pie!

 

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 4
Link to comment

Wow, wow I never expected to triple the number of boys but , the more the merrier, the Mafia all need to placed before a firing squad, word would eventually get out that kidnapping is a "dead end" street

  • Like 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Wow, Carleton suddenly becomes Dad to 30 boys. Let's hope they have enough rooms.

There will be a doubling up I'm sure

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
33 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

With at least two 'safe source' Covid-19 vaccines, from Pfizer and Moderna, on the horizon, (not Sino, Brazilian or Russian which have so far failed to provide reports to CDC to verify),  you CL are in the 'primary' group to get vaccine (age or Front Line) & could be eating together by summer? 

However, you need 2 shots 6 months apart. Second, (fly in ointment, not on head), ONLY 30 Million shots MAY be available immediately. 1/2 to U.S. and 1/2 for rest of world. BUT look on the bright side, it took YEARS to get a Polio vaccine. These C-19 vaccines took less than 1 year (and NO I'm not old enough to know this first hand! I paid attention in history class!).

Have faith and patience, fingers crossed, and DO NOT let politicians :fight:get in the way. 

Take care. Whipped cream on pie!

 

I was a student at University of Pittsburgh when Dr. Salk discovered the Polio vaccine. I was one of the first to get that shot. The student body were asked to volunteer. I worked for Pfizer for 25 years, most of the people I knew there have retired. Yes, I would be eligible for the shot (s). Not sure how it is to be administered, arm or a**, 

Thanksgiving pie for me is apple not pumpkin, I am traditional only in some ways, but not all ways. Take care, if I don't take the shot, I'll send it your way. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Wow, wow I never expected to triple the number of boys but , the more the merrier, the Mafia all need to placed before a firing squad, word would eventually get out that kidnapping is a "dead end" street

That would be nice, but remembering the experience with the Italian Mafia,. it never goes away. I was on Europe in 2005, and they were still there. Also boys on the street.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, CLJobe said:

There will be a doubling up I'm sure

Charlie doesn’t mind giving up his room; now we have to hope he shares with Carleton or a brother why he is so dependently attached to Carleton.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

If I recall their location is secluded.I'm worried some government busy bodies will start asking questions about so many kids etc. and about other government regulations.

That dream he had with the first kid was a great touch.I do believe he's in a better place but if I had that dream after initially being freaked out I would also be reassured .

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Philippe said:

Charlie doesn’t mind giving up his room; now we have to hope he shares with Carleton or a brother why he is so dependently attached to Carleton.

Being young and not knowing what he experienced I guess Carleton feels like a savior. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

If I recall their location is secluded.I'm worried some government busy bodies will start asking questions about so many kids etc. and about other government regulations.

That dream he had with the first kid was a great touch.I do believe he's in a better place but if I had that dream after initially being freaked out I would also be reassured .

He has legal documents that prove they are his sons.My guess they are sufficient to deter any US government interference 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

HELL! I was screaming and I only had 4 kids to raise, now he must have.... OUCH!!! Alex seriously needs to look at getting more property for him. I pity Maria she needs help with all of those boys... Oh yes remember the dogs, that would over 40 as well if they had one each. What Joy! 🥰 Absolutely loving the story. WOW WOW WOW!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Kev said:

HELL! I was screaming and I only had 4 kids to raise, now he must have.... OUCH!!! Alex seriously needs to look at getting more property for him. I pity Maria she needs help with all of those boys... Oh yes remember the dogs, that would over 40 as well if they had one each. What Joy! 🥰 Absolutely loving the story. WOW WOW WOW!

It's amazing what you can do when you must.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..