Jump to content
  • Join For Free and Get Notified of New Chapters!

    Are you enjoying a great story and want to get an alert or email when a new chapter is posted? Join now for free and follow your favorite stories and authors!  You can even choose to get daily or weekly digest emails instead of getting flooded with an email for each story you follow. 

     

    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 930 Words
  • 1,227 Views
  • 25 Comments
If you enjoyed what you have read, please leave a reaction and/or comment for the author!

Salvation - 14. Chapter 14

Actually, if the case lasted more than one hour, I’d be surprised. The foreign company copied the design, except for one detail that was not included in the patent. It was meant to detect any attempt at reproducing the patent.

We presented our claim that this was a patent infringement. I asked the company to demonstrate that their unit performed as they claimed. They set their unit up, telling the judge how the unit was to perform. We waited, they turned the unit on, but it began to heat up and smoke. “You are claiming that this unit is the original unit on which this patent was based. Your position is that my client stole your patent, is that correct?”

“Yes, that’s correct.”

“Can you explain why your unit, which was the basis of your patent, isn’t working as stated in your patent claim?”

“It must have been incorrectly set up.”

“Is it possible to bring in another unit and demonstrate the purported function?”

“Yes” He nodded to a gentleman at the back of the courtroom, he left.

The judge recessed the court for 1 hour. I called the hotel and checked with Steven. Everything was fine.

Court resumed, the competition had another unit set up.

“You may resume Mr. Jeffries.”

“Thank you, your honor. Now, sir, you are guaranteeing this unit will work as outlined in this patent.”

“Yes, if you just turn that dial to 60 and flip the switch.”

I did that. “Now your patent stated that this unit would produce a 30-minute charge of electricity, enough to charge a car battery, is that correct?”

“Yes”

“Your honor, we have a car battery that has no charge. When we attached these cables to the battery and with this voltage meter, you can see this battery is dead.” The judge nodded his acceptance.

“Sir, if you would start your unit.”

They threw the switch, nothing happened. No smoke, no electricity, no charge. “Sir, I would offer that your unit does not function as designed.”

“I don’t understand why it isn’t.”

“Could it be that when you copied the patent of Sterling Products, you missed a vital point?”

“No, the patent is correct. We must have made an error when we filed the patent.”

“Your honor, if we may. These gentlemen tried to copy the unit brought here by Sterling Products research director, Mr. Osgood. Mr. Osgood, will you please set up your unit. Your honor, as you can see, the units look identical. Mr. Osgood, please proceed.”

Mr. Osgood started the unit; immediately, the voltage meter began to show a charge was being applied to the dead battery.”

“Mr. Harpton, would you care to explain why this unit works, and yours don’t.”

“No, your honor, our’s should have worked. It worked in our lab.”

“It’s the opinion of this court that the patent filed by Sterling Products was copied. Therefore, this court rules in favor of Sterling Products and penalizes Sun Ion Company, the sum of 5 million dollars for patent infringement.

Their unit worked in their lab because they had a Sterling unit that they were copying.

The case was an easy win, and I appreciated the 25 percent lawyer fees.

Going back to the hotel, I called Judy, “Judy, the case is over; please notify our pilots that we will meet them at the airport and then arrange the limo to pick up. Yes, as I suspected, it was an easy case.”

“Okay, boys, we are ready to go home. Have you eaten lunch?”

“We had a snack.”

I laughed. Their snack was a meal for me. “Okay, let’s pack up. We can get some lunch at the hotel restaurant and then go directly to the airport.”

The plane had a 3 o’clock departure. We had a little over an hour to wait after finishing lunch. I decided we’d wait at the airport.

Flying home was interesting. Steven was acting nonchalant, and Mathew was asking all kinds of questions. I took the time to relax.

Arriving at our airport, the limo was there. It was a new limo, but the driver was the same guy that usually picked us up.

“Good evening Mr. Jeffries. How do you like the new limo?”

“It looks brand new. Don’t tell me your boss has sprung for new limos?”

“No, sir, this is your limo. Your secretary said you wanted your own limo and driver.”

“Are you my driver?”

“Yes, sir, I thought with what you do, it’s best if I stayed with the limo.

“Well, let’s go home.” The boys got in the back. I got in front with Peter.

“Peter, where’s the limo going to be garaged?”

“At your house, your garage is designed for a limo. I think the previous owners had a limo. We had to move some boxes out of the way.”

“Boxes?”

“Yes, there were quite a few boxes in your garage. I don’t know what’s in them. They weren’t heavy to move.”

“Okay, where are you going to stay.”

“Maria offered her spare bedroom. She said I could eat with the family.”

“I’d say that is just fine with me.”

Arriving at home, I wondered where Mathew was going to sleep. I shouldn’t have had to worry about that. Steven had it under control.

“Dad, until the expansion is completed, would it be okay if Mathew shared my room.”

“If you don’t mind, I don’t. I appreciate your offer.”

Steven took over, introducing everyone to Mathew. That night as I sat in my office, there was a knock on my door.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 16
  • Wow 2
If you enjoyed what you have read, please leave a reaction and/or comment for the author!

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

'It was a dark and stormy night, suddenly, a knock at my door..." (with apologies to Snoopy. and Charles Schultz. At least I didn't go to the next sentence. LoL).

Another interesting chapter, with more background on the types of Corporate Espionage Carleton had to deal with. Which begs the question: has he built up enemies he doesn't know about? Enemies who might resort to 'digging for dirt' to ruin a lawyer. Its one thing to deal with known criminals at ICJ, it's another if you (Alex) can't anticipate. Assuming a time line for Carleton that largely pre-dates the corporate giant that is now C. H. Ina Inc, who didn't start 'actively' copying (stealing) I.P. and making knock-offs until late '80s.

Matthew will fit in just fine with Stevens guidance. New permanent Limo driver Peter assigned to Carleton, knows 'Company' and Alex. Does he have other skills to watch over Carleton and his family?

Tune in next time (to the pod-cast)...

:thankyou:

TCSSSDWTDM*

Tony

* not quite the shortcut / anagram I want. :rolleyes:

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

If I had been present at that trial I would have been thrown out for laughing at the demonstration .His 25% will keep the house running smoothly. 

I wonder if the boxes he didn't know about are significant 

 

not sure but this isn't the first time someone copied a patent 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Tonyr said:

-'That night as i sat in  my office, there was a knock on my door' ...    please continue

I will tomorrow  I need to get a cup of coffee now 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

So are the boxes important and who is knocking on his office door.

no the boxes are not important

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
58 minutes ago, James B. said:

My only complaint is these chapters are short. You start reading then it's over.

I try to capture a day's activity

  • Like 4
Link to comment
52 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

'It was a dark and stormy night, suddenly, a knock at my door..." (with apologies to Snoopy. and Charles Schultz. At least I didn't go to the next sentence. LoL).

Another interesting chapter, with more background on the types of Corporate Espionage Carleton had to deal with. Which begs the question: has he built up enemies he doesn't know about? Enemies who might resort to 'digging for dirt' to ruin a lawyer. Its one thing to deal with known criminals at ICJ, it's another if you (Alex) can't anticipate. Assuming a time line for Carleton that largely pre-dates the corporate giant that is now C. H. Ina Inc, who didn't start 'actively' copying (stealing) I.P. and making knock-offs until late '80s.

Matthew will fit in just fine with Stevens guidance. New permanent Limo driver Peter assigned to Carleton, knows 'Company' and Alex. Does he have other skills to watch over Carleton and his family?

Tune in next time (to the pod-cast)...

:thankyou:

TCSSSDWTDM*

Tony

* not quite the shortcut / anagram I want. :rolleyes:

 

I'll give you another chance. I'm back on schedule so next chapter up tomorrow early

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Man. I was really excited about those boxes. I thought it was going to be something spectacularly awesome that would benefit them all.

And a cliffhanger?!?!

Thank the Goddess that we get really quick updates from you. Most cliffhangers literally leave me hanging. Not a happy camper when that happens. Altho, I suppose it does give me something to look forward to.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Awesome chapter, not surprising that he won the case , idiots who tried to copy the design, I think that the upgrades to house are going to be have done rather rapidly with the growing family, space has run out it seems, interesting cliffhanger.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
6 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I wonder if the boxes he didn't know about are significant 

Things that make you say hmmm 🤔.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Philippe said:

Things that make you say hmmm 🤔.

C+C Music Factory. I used to love "Things That Make You Go Hmmm" :)

Of course Freedom Williams was my favourite!

Edited by Buz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Buz said:

Man. I was really excited about those boxes. I thought it was going to be something spectacularly awesome that would benefit them all.

And a cliffhanger?!?!

Thank the Goddess that we get really quick updates from you. Most cliffhangers literally leave me hanging. Not a happy camper when that happens. Altho, I suppose it does give me something to look forward to.

No not cliffhanger, if there were a significant issue with the boxes, I would have mentioned it.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, not surprising that he won the case , idiots who tried to copy the design, I think that the upgrades to house are going to be have done rather rapidly with the growing family, space has run out it seems, interesting cliffhanger.

I read somewhere when a company did that. Some countries don't have copyrights and it is legal to copy a patent as kong as the sales are within that country. It's when they try to export to a country where a patent exists that they get in trouble,

  • Like 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Philippe said:

Things that make you say hmmm 🤔.

They weren't significant. Old clothes, knick knacks

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Buz said:

C+C Music Factory. I used to love "Things That Make You Go Hmmm" :)

Of course Freedom Williams was my favourite!

I need to check that song out. I don't recall hearing it.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Buz said:

C+C Music Factory. I used to love "Things That Make You Go Hmmm" :)

Of course Freedom Williams was my favourite!

I went and listened to him and that hip hop song. Although I'm not a hip hop fan I can see that people would like that music. Thanks

Edited by CLJobe
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, CLJobe said:

No not cliffhanger, if there were a significant issue with the boxes, I would have mentioned it.

'...there was a knock on my door.'  That is the cliffhanger I was referring to i.e. who was it, what did they want, had something happened, if it had was it a good something, etc...

Maybe it wasn't a cliffhanger. Maybe I'm just nosy. After all, I've never met a knocked on door I hadn't wanted to open yet.

See you in the next chapter Mr Lobe.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/16/2020 at 7:55 PM, Buz said:

Man. I was really excited about those boxes. I thought it was going to be something spectacularly awesome that would benefit them all.

And a cliffhanger?!?!

Thank the Goddess that we get really quick updates from you. Most cliffhangers literally leave me hanging. Not a happy camper when that happens. Altho, I suppose it does give me something to look forward to.

It is not my intention to not post at least two chapters per day.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
50 minutes ago, Will Hawkins said:

"Trere was a knock on my door," Now that is a cliffhangar1

You must like mysteries 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Yes, I like mysteries. I am far beyond the age when explicit descriptions of sexual relations between men are greatly interesting to me. . . Hell, at my age (88), a good cliffhanger is far more interesting than explicit descriptions of men fucking. Been there, done that, and believe me, doing is much more memorable than even the best written description.
Mister Will

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Will Hawkins said:

Yes, I like mysteries. I am far beyond the age when explicit descriptions of sexual relations between men are greatly interesting to me. . . Hell, at my age (88), a good cliffhanger is far more interesting than explicit descriptions of men fucking. Been there, done that, and believe me, doing is much more memorable than even the best written description.
Mister Will

I like mysteries as well but I'm not aa mystery writer. My muse will not lead me in that way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    You probably have a crazy and hectic schedule and find it hard to keep up with everything going on.  We get it, because we feel it too.  Signing up here is a great way to keep in touch and find something relaxing to read when you get a few moments to spare.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..