Jump to content
    Headstall
  • Author
  • 4,204 Words
  • 7,730 Views
  • 63 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cards on the Table - 43. Chapter 43 Showdown

You can't win if you fold.

Cards on the Table

 

 

Chapter 43

 

 

The ringing of the phone at Colleen's side momentarily startled her, but she wasted no time in grabbing the receiver.

“Hello?”

“Hi, Mom, it’s Megan.”

Colleen looked at her husband and nodded at his questioning look. Michael was still right beside her, and could hear his sister clearly “Hey, darling girl, are you alright? You don’t sound very good.”

“It’s been a tough morning, and I’m having trouble thinking straight. Is Nate okay?”

“Yes, dear, he’s fine. Don’t worry about Nate. We’ll take good care of him… he’s up in his room talking to his Uncle Kendall now.”

“Uncle Kendall?”

“Yes, Uncle Kendall. He decided for himself he would call him his uncle from now on.”

“That sounds more like the old Nate. He’s always liked Kendall. He’d talk about him for months after we got home from a visit.”

Colleen heard a sniffle. “Honey, what’s going on? Did you and Mark talk?”

“Oh yeah, we talked. We talked, and we yelled, and we cried. He took off… he’s… he’s upset. He was really angry because I sent Nate to Ontario without consulting him first. He doesn’t get it, that I couldn’t talk to him beforehand because he was the reason I had to send Nate to you. It’s been a tough week, but we’ve never fought like this before. It was awful,” Megan started to cry. “I think I might have to leave him, but I feel so bad for him too.”

“Meg, honey, I’m sorry. This has got to be hell for you. Does this mean Mark still feels the same way about Nate?”

Megan talked through convulsive whimpers. “Honestly, I don’t know. He wants him home, and I said no, and he started yelling that I had no right to do what I did, sending his son away from him. I slapped him, really hard… as hard as I could, and I screamed that he had no right to do what he did.” Megan lost what little composure she had, and lapsed into full-out heart-wrenching wailing. Colleen cried in commiseration, while Michael, listening to them both, felt helpless.

Colleen gave her daughter some time to let her emotions out before she gently prodded her to continue. “What did Mark do when you slapped him?” That question caused Michael Sr., sitting in one of the big chairs between the couches, to raise an eyebrow.

“He didn’t do anything… he just stood there. I was so mad. We stared at one another, and then I threw the bottle of pills at him, and said he almost cost us our son… our beautiful son.” Megan was crying again. “He had no idea… and when I told him where I found them, and what Nate had said about having them… how he hated being gay, and that Mark hated him, he staggered out of the room like he was drunk. When he didn’t come back, I went to look for him; he was on the floor of the garage, sitting in the corner with his head in his hands. He wouldn’t look at me. He got up and walked out to his car and drove away. He was crying, and as angry as I am, I’m worried about him. I should have been calmer, shouldn’t I?”

“Don’t you go blaming yourself for anything. Mark probably has trouble facing what he did. He needs to be alone to sort this stuff out. Just remember how you felt when you found those pills. Maybe you woke him up to what he was doing? Are the girls okay?”

“They don’t know anything yet. I talked to Caroline, and she says the girls are having a great time, and offered to keep them, and get them to school in the morning. I didn’t tell her anything specific, but she’s a good friend, and she knows something is going on. I don’t want them here if Mark comes back and we get into it again. What do you think I should do?”

“Just keep doing what you’re doing. But, honey, don’t make any decisions yet. Wait till the dust settles, and see where Mark stands. The Mark I know is smarter and more caring than this. You at least have to hear and try to understand why he’s reacted the way he has before you move forward. You owe yourself that. Am I making any sense?”

“Yeah, you are. I guess I should go into work for a while. It was a busy week, and I have gotten way behind in my paperwork. We almost doubled our equipment rentals this month.”

“Megan. Listen to me. I know you work hard on that business, and I commend you for it, but I’m starting to wonder if it’s taking up too much of your time.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean that sometimes people get lost in their work, and as couples, they can stop connecting. You and Mark couldn’t make it here for last Christmas because of the business, and this year it’s the same. Now you’re talking about going into work today. Don't you think you need to be there when Mark comes home? Honey, everyone needs family time, and in your case, you’re not getting it. While one of you is home, the other is at work. How long do you think you can do that for?”

“Are you saying that’s why this happened? About the way Mark was with Nate?”

“I don’t know. I’m just asking questions, but it seems to me you two are not acting as a team anymore, and I think you should figure out why. I know your business is your baby, but you have three other ‘babies’, and sometimes they need both parents at the same time, on the same page. I’m not judging or lecturing you, but I do want you to think about whether you need to change your priorities. You’re not mad at me for saying this, are you?”

“No, definitely not. I’ve been thinking about the same things. Mark and I aren’t connected the way we used to be, except for work, and I don’t know if we’ve drifted apart or if we’ve changed as people. I feel like I don’t know Mark anymore. Maybe he feels the same way about me. I never in a million years would have thought he would act the way he has over Nate being gay, but we’ve been so busy, I don’t think we’ve devoted the time to it, and to Nate, that we need to. I really thought he would be fine after a few days… it was a shock. I didn’t know until yesterday about the awful week Nate had at school, and I didn’t know Mark had gone behind my back about church counseling… and I should have. You’re right. For Nate’s sake I need to get to the bottom of this… and I need to at least try to get through to my husband.”

“That’s my girl.” Colleen was smiling for the first time in the conversation.

“Thanks for the advice, and for always being there for me. You and Dad are the best. Do you think it’s okay to interrupt Kendall and Nate for a few minutes? I want to say hello, and see what Nate is thinking now that he has some distance.”

“Of course it is. I think Nate needs to hear your voice too.”

Colleen watched Michael jump up and hurry to get Nate. Her grandson came flying down the stairs like only teenagers can do, a nervous smile on his face, and reached for the phone. Michael and Kendall weren’t far behind, and they sat on the opposite couch.

 

Nate took possession of the phone and looking around, went to sit between his uncles, squeezing into the narrow space and forcing them to concede some territory. Michael smiled at Kendall over Nate’s head and received a wink in return.

“Hi, Mom.”

“Hi, Nate, are you doing okay, baby?”

Nate sighed. “Mom, I asked you not to call me that.” He slid a sideways glance to see if Kendall had heard, and grimaced when he saw that he did. Kendall smirked at Nate’s embarrassment. “I’m doing good. Grams made an awesome breakfast, and Uncle Kendall and I ate it in my room… and we talked about a bunch of stuff.”

“That’s great, honey. Did Kendall, your Uncle Kendall, help you feel better about yourself?”

“Yeah, he did. You’ll never guess, He told me…” Nate stopped cold, as Kendall stiffened beside him. “He told me about lots of things that made me feel better, about how much him and Uncle Mike love each other, ‘to the moon and back’ is what he said.” He grinned from one to the other, and the grin turned to a giggle, as his Uncle Mike stuck his tongue out at him. “I’m glad you sent me here. Don’t worry about me doing anything… to myself, okay? I promise I won’t, and I promised Uncle Kendall too.”

“I’m so happy to hear you say that. I’ve been so worried.”

“I’m sorry.” Nate hung his head, and a couple of tears spilled out. Both uncles gave him reassuring touches at the same time. “Mom… I don’t want to go back to my school anymore. They all call me a fag… or they don’t talk to me… even Josh,” he choked out.

“Oh Nate, you and Josh will probably work things out after a little time has gone by.”

“I don’t think so. On Friday, Josh was holding hands with Sarah Washington, and he left me a message on my phone saying he wasn’t like me.” Nate blushed when he looked around the room.

“Oh God, baby, sorry, Nathanial… I understand… let’s not worry about school now. There’s only a couple of days before Christmas holidays start, so we have time to figure out what will be best for you. Your dad wants you home right away, but I told him I didn’t think it was a good idea… is that okay with you?”

“For sure. I, ah, I don’t really want to see Dad right now. I want to stay here… I’d like to stay here, and go to a new school, where no one knows me. Can I do that, please? Grams and Gramps wouldn’t mind, I don’t think?” Both grandparents smiled at him and he looked relieved. “They said yes,” Nate informed her, stretching the truth a bit.

“Oh, honey, I agree about the new school, but it should be in Edmonton, not in Ontario. You should be with your own family.”

“But, we’d have to move in order for me to go to a new school, and I am with family. And none of them hate me because I’m gay.” Nate whispered the last part.

“I don’t know what’s wrong with your father, but I know he doesn’t hate you, and if he can’t accept you for the wonderful son you are, then that’s going to be his problem. But we, the rest of us, your sisters and I, are your family. I promise you if I have to make a choice, I would never choose your dad over you.”

“But I don’t want to be the reason you have to make a choice. If I stay here you wouldn’t have to.”

“Sweetie, you have to understand something. You would not be the reason... your dad would be. Do you really think I could stay with your father if he doesn’t accept you?”

“No, I guess not,” Nate sounded dejected over the reality of their situation.

“Anyway, you’ll be there for a while, over your birthday and Christmas, and that’s going to be hard enough for us. I’ll call you every day… and I’m going to try to get through to your father, okay?”

“Yeah, okay.”

“I love you, Nate, and you give my love to everyone. There’s some stuff I have to take care of now, and I have to go see Lacey and Kelsey… they’re still at Caroline’s, so I’ll talk to you tomorrow at the latest.”

“Alright, I love you too. Bye.”

“Bye, baby.” Megan’s endearment earned a sigh and an eye roll from her son.

 

“Are you okay, baby?” Kendall teased, and Nate’s scowl made them all laugh.

“I hate when my mom calls me that,” Nate complained, which got him more laughter.

“Do you hate it when I call you baby boy?” Colleen asked him, teasing slightly.

“No, it’s fine when you do it, because you’re my grams,” he said with a giggle. The giggle ended with a sudden look of surprise, and Nate took off running for the stairs. The faint sound of a ringtone could be heard coming from his room.

Nate returned slowly, with his cellphone in his hand. “I missed a call from my dad,” he explained in a toneless voice. Michael was trying to decipher what his nephew was feeling, and he looked at his partner, but all he got was a subtle shrug. Nate had been somewhat cheery after his mother’s call, but now he looked like a lost kid again. Michael was reminded once again of what the boy had been through over the last week, and felt the rage at his brother-in-law start to climb again. One missed phone call from the man, and his son’s spirits had plummeted once more. “Come here, and sit with your uncles, Nathanial Michael.” Michael was attempting to get Nate past the downer it had become apparent he was in. They were all caught off guard when Nate’s phone started ringing again. He shot in between Michael and Kendall like a scared little boy.

“What should I do?” he blurted out.

Kendall immediately said, “Answer it. He’s your dad.”

 

“Hello?”

“Hi, Nate… it’s Dad.”

“I know… Dad.”

“How are you, son?”

“Okay, I guess,” Nate said quietly.

“What are you doing?”

“Um, I’m just sitting here… with my uncles. And Grams and Gramps.”

“Uncles?”

“Yes, uncles.” Nate sighed as if he was getting agitated. “Uncle Mike and Uncle Kendall.”

“Oh, okay, yeah, right. You have two uncles now.”

“Yeah, I do, and they’re great, and they really love each other.” Michael could feel the tension in Nate’s body, and hear it in his tone. It was as if he was challenging his father.

“Um, yeah, I’m sure they do. They’re good men. Maybe they can help you with, ah, stuff I don't know much about.” Michael and Kendall looked at each other with surprise. Mark wasn’t sounding very homophobic, and the rage that was boiling in Michael at the sound of his voice, subsided just a little.

“But they’re gay. How come it’s not a bad thing for them, but it is for me… why is there something wrong with me being gay?” A tremble went through Nate, and Michael gripped his shoulder in support.

They could all hear the sigh from Mark. “I screwed up, Son. Maybe we can fix things when you get home.”

“Fix things, or fix me, Dad? I don’t want to come home. I don’t want to go back to that school ever again, and I’m never going to see Minister Upton again either.” Nate’s voice had become higher pitched.

“Nate, you have to come home. You belong at home.” Mark was using his ‘father’ tone.

“I sure didn’t feel like I belonged there. It didn’t feel safe anymore. And you threw Josh out like he was dirt. You used to like him before that day.”

“It… it was a shock. I didn’t expect… I over-reacted.” Uneasy silence met his words. “Nate? Nate, please talk to me.”

Nate had his eyes squeezed shut, and Michael kept a grip on his shoulder, while he continued to be silent.

“Nate, can you tell me… please explain to me… what were you doing with those pills of your mother’s?”

Nate seemed to come back from somewhere… somewhere painful. His voice was brutally cold. “What do you think I was doing with them? You really can’t figure it out? I lined them all up in a row… seventeen of them, and I had a big glass of water, and I stared at them for a long time.” A gasp from Colleen didn’t intrude on Nate’s response. “I picked the first two up and held them for a while, and the whole time I thought about how you looked at me… or how you didn’t look at me. I remembered the look on Josh’s face when you threw him out, and I remembered my teammate laughing when the minister told those guys I was gay.” Nate pulled his knees up to his chest, like he was protecting himself, but his voice stayed emotionless. “I remembered what the kids in my school called me when I went in on Wednesday. I remembered how Josh looked at me. I remembered how you grabbed me Friday night like you hadn’t heard a single word I said, like you really thought I could be fixed. I wanted to die, Dad.” It was so matter-of-fact, it further stunned the listening uncles.

“Nate, I’m sorry, I….”

“I don’t want to hear it. I didn’t take the pills because I remembered Mom, and Lacey, and Kelsey. Maybe you don’t love me anymore, but they do. But I kept those pills in case….” Nate hesitated. “Dad, I don’t want to do this…,” Nate’s temporary toughness left him and he started to weep.

"Nate, please, in case what? Why did you keep the pills? Do you think you might still do somethingis that what you're telling me?" A definite sob could be heard through the phone, and while Michael wanted to intervene, he decided to let his nephew make the decision of when to end this. Despite the tears, he was surprised at the strength he was seeing in his nephew.

Nate was back in control, however tenuous, as his Ontario family sat transfixed, watching this young man deal with his father and his pain. “I kept them in case I couldn’t find a way out. If you didn’t start looking at me again. If you kept thinking I was broken. I tried to be straight, but I couldn’t. I tried to like girls, I really did. I didn’t want to be like this, but I am. Mom found me a way out. She sent me here, and they don’t treat me any different than they ever did. They didn’t do what you did. Uncle Kendall talked to me today, and seeing how happy him and Uncle Mike are makes me think I can be happy someday too.”

The silence from the other end was deafening. Michael found himself holding his breath waiting for a response. When it came it was a groan of a man in pain.

“Oh my God, Nate, what have I done?”

Nate looked surprised at hearing his father cry, and his expression softened as he listened to the keening wail rolling out of him. Nate glanced around the room, obviously looking for strength, and he found it. “You hurt me, Dad. I’m sorry I’ve disappointed you, but this is who I am. I’m gay, and nothing is going to change that. I’ve been fighting this for three years, and I give up. God did this, not me. This is how he wants me to be, and I’m not broken, and I don’t believe it’s a sin like the reverend said. It wasn’t wrong to love Josh.”

Michael, Kendall, and Big Mike could all hear the sounds of a devastated man coming through the phone. Colleen’s widened eyes told Michael that she could hear some of it as well. It was hard to maintain anger at the man when his son’s openness had stripped him bare. Nate had a look of disbelief at the noises his father was making. “Dad, are you okay?” he finally asked.

They all heard the sniffling, and Mark blowing his nose before he answered his son. “No, I’m not okay. I’m ashamed of what I’ve done, to you, and to Josh, and your mom. But mostly to you. I can’t believe I almost drove you to… Nate, I’m going to do everything I can to make this up to you. I don’t ever want to lose you. I’ve never hated you. You are my pride and joy, and I don’t even know why I got so upset, or why I acted the way I did. I could tell you it was too much of a shock, but that would just be an excuse. Every time I thought about it, I felt sick, but it’s the same kind of sick I felt when your mom told me what you almost did. It wasn’t hate, or disappointment. I think it was fear… I was afraid for you… I was afraid for my son. I had no right to ask you to be any different than you are. You’re right... you’re not broken... I am. Will you promise me you won’t consider taking pills or anything else? Will you give me another chance?” His requests went unanswered. “Nate, tell me what you want, and I’ll do it, just please, promise me.”

Nate blew out a long breath, and looked around the room at all the caring faces. “I, I promise, Dad. Dad?”

“Oh thank you, Nate. I’ll go for counseling and we’ll switch churches. And I promise I will get back to being the dad you deserve.”

“Dad?”

“Yes?”

“You asked me what I want. I want to stay in Ontario, and finish my school year here. I never want to go back to my old school again.”

“But you belong with your family, with your mom and your sisters… and me.”

“You asked me what I want, and this is what I want. My family is here too. I’m sorry, but it might be too hard for you to change how you feel, and I need to be with people who understand and accept me completely. I don’t ever want to feel the way I was feeling again… it hurts too much… and it scares me.” The bravery the kid was showing continued to astonish Michael.

“I’m listening, and I hear you. I’ve lost your trust, and I understand that. It’s what I deserve, but please try to have faith in me. I’ll show you I know where I need to be. I’ll get there. When your mom threw those pills at me this morning, everything started changing. It was my wake-up call. I can’t lose you, Nathanial. You will always be my boy.”

His son listened to his plea with a steady flow of tears dripping off his chin.

“I’m going to really talk to your mom when I get home, and we’ll figure this out. No promises just yet, but if it’s what you want, I’ll try to make it happen. Tell you grandparents that Megan will call them later. I’m sure they don’t want to talk to me right now, and to be honest, I’m too embarrassed to talk to them. I love you, son, so very much, and I’m sorry I made you doubt that. You mom will probably call you later, and I’ll call you tomorrow, for sure, okay?”

“Okay. I love you too, Dad. Bye.”

“Bye, Nate.”

 

Nate closed his flip phone and stood up, wiping his eyes. He took one look at his grams, and flew into her arms. She held him and cried along with him. Before long his gramps was at his side, while Kendall and Michael closed the distance between each other, and shared the relief and release Mark’s apparent turnaround had given the boy. The biggest part of their nephew’s ordeal appeared to be over. Michael was still angry at Mark for the damage he’d done, but it was more manageable now. He’d be able to get past it, as long as Mark carried through on his promises. Glancing down at his and Kendall’s clasped hands, he found it very telling of how rough this had been on his parents that they hadn’t noticed the matching glints of carved gold.

 

Looking back up, he saw that Nate had settled down, and was allowing himself to feel the positive change his father had given him a solid glimpse of. He had turned around, sitting between his grandparents, and he was grinning back and forth between his two uncles. He had an impish look on his face.

 

“Is there anymore breakfast, Grams? I’m feeling pretty hungry now."

“Anything for you, baby boy. Help me up, young fella.”

As they headed to the kitchen, Nate turned back and gave his uncles a loaded look, before turning back around. “Guess what, Grams?”

“What?”

“I know something you don’t know,” he said in a sing-song voice as he and his grandparents entered the kitchen.

Michael looked at Kendall. “Does he know?”

Kendall grinned at his semi-secret fiancé. “Oh, yeah, he knows.”

“Well, that little bugger.”

Kendall laughed. “Get ready, Sunshine. Mom’s going to be on high alert now.”

“Don’t I know it,” Michael lamented with a chuckle. As long as Nate was happy, so was Uncle Mike.

Thanks to my Editor, Lightning Tim. and to all those who read my story and give me feedback. You are much appreciated. Please join us in the COTT forum:
www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/39932-cards-on-the-table-by-headstall/
Copyright © 2017 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 60
  • Love 21
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Ummm, not sure what say. This was an enormously emotional chapter. I am overwhelmed by Mark's anguish at the thought of nearly losing his son. The parents among your readers will instantly relate. Your own fatherhood is evident in the words you've written.

 

There is hope ...

  • Love 3
Link to comment

:,( Damn... I was crying as soon as Megan called, then the waterworks really happened when Nate told his dad what he went through that week and then Mark's promises I was an emotional wreck. Then of course, seeing the strength that Nate has and his resilience, the sad tears I was shedding became happy tears, especially at the end. I will always enjoy how you can bring out all of my emotions :)

 

Gosh, thanks for this beautiful chapter Gary :hug

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 10/01/2015 05:37 AM, dughlas said:

Ummm, not sure what say. This was an enormously emotional chapter. I am overwhelmed by Mark's anguish at the thought of nearly losing his son. The parents among your readers will instantly relate. Your own fatherhood is evident in the words you've written.

 

There is hope ...

Thanks, dugh. So I guess you can imagine the state I was in while writing this. It wasn't easy because I kept picturing my own sons... There has to be hope... I couldn't not give that to Nate, or to us. We'll see what transpires between Mark and Megan, now that the mess of their lives is exposed. Damage has been done, and any solution won't be easy. Thanks for your support and the encouraging review... I'm glad you related with this chapter... I expected you would... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 10/01/2015 05:51 AM, Drew Espinosa said:

:,( Damn... I was crying as soon as Megan called, then the waterworks really happened when Nate told his dad what he went through that week and then Mark's promises I was an emotional wreck. Then of course, seeing the strength that Nate has and his resilience, the sad tears I was shedding became happy tears, especially at the end. I will always enjoy how you can bring out all of my emotions :)

 

Gosh, thanks for this beautiful chapter Gary :hug

Thanks, Drew. I see you went through what I did. I wrote this rather quickly, and I remember I would check into the forum every so often and read the posts that were happening, in order to regroup. Then I would go back at it, because I didn't want to be in that place for too long. As I replied to Dugh, I needed to give Nate hope, and I needed to let him experience his own strength, the strength he will need as he goes through life. Thanks for a wonderful review, Drew... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I actually did not enjoy reading this chapter as I kept crying all the way through it :,( , it kept reminding me of myself in my teenage years and my parents as well ....this well reflected my fears and feelings on the matter and reading them had my emotions in a wreck :(:,( , .......I am sorry I am not able to write a better review but I still am unable to get myself into control :,( ......in a really bad shape bawling like a baby :,( .....but anyways you wrote a brilliant chapter Gary :hug: and thank you for it :heart:

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 10/01/2015 06:30 AM, Victor Gutte said:

I actually did not enjoy reading this chapter as I kept crying all the way through it :,( , it kept reminding me of myself in my teenage years and my parents as well ....this well reflected my fears and feelings on the matter and reading them had my emotions in a wreck :(:,( , .......I am sorry I am not able to write a better review but I still am unable to get myself into control :,( ......in a really bad shape bawling like a baby :,( .....but anyways you wrote a brilliant chapter Gary :hug: and thank you for it :heart:

I'm sorry, Victor. I didn't mean to make you feel so bad. It made me cry too. It's why I needed to give Nate some hope his father could change... really look at himself and what he was doing. I'm pleased you liked it anyway. It really isn't easy being gay... the family dynamic is filled with pitfalls. Take heart that Nate was strong when he faced his father on the phone. Being with accepting family helped him with that... Thanks for the heartfelt review, my young friend... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

It was a very emotional chapter, Gary, but it also was one filled with hope.
I guess it took the tactile image of the pills themselves, and the finality of what they threatened to throw the switch in Mark's head. But if anything drove it home, it was Nate's description to his father of what it all meant to him. Sometimes parents don't take the time to see their actions through the eyes of their children. It can be sad, but it can be tragic.
A wonderful chapter Gary!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/01/2015 06:56 AM, skinnydragon said:

It was a very emotional chapter, Gary, but it also was one filled with hope.

I guess it took the tactile image of the pills themselves, and the finality of what they threatened to throw the switch in Mark's head. But if anything drove it home, it was Nate's description to his father of what it all meant to him. Sometimes parents don't take the time to see their actions through the eyes of their children. It can be sad, but it can be tragic.

A wonderful chapter Gary!

Thank you, Skinny. I appreciate your kind and encouraging words. The pills started the ball rolling for Mark, but I think he may have half convinced himself that his son would never take that step. Self-denial can be blinding. You are exactly right that when Nate leveled his father by painting the picture of 17 pills lined up in a row, any blinders he had on were ripped off. I was a mess writing that part of the scene. The family, Megan and Mark, dodged a bullet that would have ruined their life forever. Thanks, again... I'm glad you felt the hope as well... great review... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/01/2015 06:56 AM, skinnydragon said:

It was a very emotional chapter, Gary, but it also was one filled with hope.

I guess it took the tactile image of the pills themselves, and the finality of what they threatened to throw the switch in Mark's head. But if anything drove it home, it was Nate's description to his father of what it all meant to him. Sometimes parents don't take the time to see their actions through the eyes of their children. It can be sad, but it can be tragic.

A wonderful chapter Gary!

Thank you, Skinny. I appreciate your kind and encouraging words. The pills started the ball rolling for Mark, but I think he may have half convinced himself that his son would never take that step. Self-denial can be blinding. You are exactly right that when Nate leveled his father by painting the picture of 17 pills lined up in a row, any blinders he had on were ripped off. I was a mess writing that part of the scene. The family, Megan and Mark, dodged a bullet that would have ruined their life forever. Thanks, again... I'm glad you felt the hope as well... great review... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Been away, and playing catch up again--what a tough chapter! Even more surprising than just the raw emotion, Nate is handling himself with remarkable dignity and astounding stamina! Even after the emotional roller coaster he's been on, he shows himself as a true survivor, and a young mankind in touch with his feelings.
You handled a tough topic with your usual aplomb--good job, buddy!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/01/2015 07:09 AM, Robert Rex said:

Been away, and playing catch up again--what a tough chapter! Even more surprising than just the raw emotion, Nate is handling himself with remarkable dignity and astounding stamina! Even after the emotional roller coaster he's been on, he shows himself as a true survivor, and a young mankind in touch with his feelings.

You handled a tough topic with your usual aplomb--good job, buddy!

Hey, Rex, it's been a while. I hope you are well. Thanks for taking the time to review. I appreciate the supportive words. In the last chapter, I think Kendall did Nate a world of good. He has role models, finally, and he's with grandparents who love him unconditionally. I think his father has lost some of his shine for Nate, and he feels he has nothing to lose by standing up for himself. Thanks again for the review... cheers, my friend... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Gary,
Man this was raw.....finally dad is LISTENING to son...maybe now some sort of healing can occur. I admire young Nate's strength in his dealing with Mark, that was true courage.
I oftimes think, Why do straight people feel that gays have a choice in their sexuality,and thereby can be "fixed"? I didn't choose anything nor did everyone else...that seems so simple to me.
Excellent chapter even though it was difficult to read through tears..............:) Mike

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/01/2015 12:10 PM, flamingo136 said:

Gary,

Man this was raw.....finally dad is LISTENING to son...maybe now some sort of healing can occur. I admire young Nate's strength in his dealing with Mark, that was true courage.

I oftimes think, Why do straight people feel that gays have a choice in their sexuality,and thereby can be "fixed"? I didn't choose anything nor did everyone else...that seems so simple to me.

Excellent chapter even though it was difficult to read through tears..............:) Mike

It was raw to write too, Mike. It took me years to realize I wasn't broken. When I wrote Nate saying 'God did this, not me", I couldn't see through tears. I was so proud of Nate for that. He faced his dad with truth, not fear, and in his case, it looks like he got through to his dad. I'm sorry I made you cry, but tears are cleansing... in which case, we are probably pretty pure lol. Thanks for a wonderful review, buddy... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

This chapter had me in tears from the start. I could really relate to Megan. She is a mama bear protecting her child, even from her husband. I don't agree with physical expressions of anger, regardless if its a man or a woman doing the hitting, but I do understand her reaction. This man almost drove her son to suicide...
I am happy that Mark called and spoke to Nate. Nate was able to get some things off of his chest and purge some of that hurt in the safety of the family he knows accepts him. I understand his concern about his father really changing, but I truly think realizing how much he hurt Nate will bring about some lasting changes with Mark. He just needs time to prove to Nate that he can be trusted again and that will take time.
A chapter full of tears, but also a glimmer of hope.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Immediately, the conversation between Collen and Megan struck a chord. Emotional, and real. I could easily have had that conversation with my own mother. Then the one two punch. Mark's reaction to Nate telling him how he felt, and how close he came to taking those pills. As much as our kids hate to disappoint us, when we fail them it's doubly worse. You showed Nate being brave in his newfound acceptance, standing up to his dad and laying it bare. Mark's reaction was raw and emotional. I really felt for him, but he deserved it. To have his son tell him how he saw himself in his father's eyes, to hear he didn't feel safe. It was a revelation for Mark and probably a freeing one for Nate. There's hope for Mark, he's remorseful, is going to seek help and is willing to meet his son halfway, by letting stay where he is for the time being.

 

Such a great chapter Gary. You handled that situation extremely well..

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/01/2015 12:28 PM, LitLover said:

This chapter had me in tears from the start. I could really relate to Megan. She is a mama bear protecting her child, even from her husband. I don't agree with physical expressions of anger, regardless if its a man or a woman doing the hitting, but I do understand her reaction. This man almost drove her son to suicide...

I am happy that Mark called and spoke to Nate. Nate was able to get some things off of his chest and purge some of that hurt in the safety of the family he knows accepts him. I understand his concern about his father really changing, but I truly think realizing how much he hurt Nate will bring about some lasting changes with Mark. He just needs time to prove to Nate that he can be trusted again and that will take time.

A chapter full of tears, but also a glimmer of hope.

I guess I made everyone cry today. It's a wonder you guys keep reading my stuff lol. Megan is a great mom who made the mistake a lot of people do. She let her business take over her life. I don't think she'll make that mistake again. I agree about the violence, but she's a mom in pain, who almost lost her son, and Mark just wasn't listening. I'm not sure Mark expected what he got in his phone call to Nate. Reality slapped him in the face for a second time today, and this one hurt way more. He has some damage to repair... but you're right... along with the tears, there is hope. Thanks for a terrific review, Lit... cheers... Gary...

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/01/2015 12:36 PM, Defiance19 said:

Immediately, the conversation between Collen and Megan struck a chord. Emotional, and real. I could easily have had that conversation with my own mother. Then the one two punch. Mark's reaction to Nate telling him how he felt, and how close he came to taking those pills. As much as our kids hate to disappoint us, when we fail them it's doubly worse. You showed Nate being brave in his newfound acceptance, standing up to his dad and laying it bare. Mark's reaction was raw and emotional. I really felt for him, but he deserved it. To have his son tell him how he saw himself in his father's eyes, to hear he didn't feel safe. It was a revelation for Mark and probably a freeing one for Nate. There's hope for Mark, he's remorseful, is going to seek help and is willing to meet his son halfway, by letting stay where he is for the time being.

 

Such a great chapter Gary. You handled that situation extremely well..

Yeah, Def, Colleen was being Colleen. I loved how she called Megan on the business being too much of a priority, and we could see how much respect Megan has for her mother. You've summed up the chapter perfectly. All I can add is I was so proud of Nate for calling his dad out in the way he did. I think his courage took a boost with his conversation with Kendall, and the wholehearted acceptance of the rest of the Acetos. He'd suffered enough to feel he had nothing to lose. In his mind, he'd already lost his dad, his friends, his school, and Josh. All in one week. Being a gay kid is tough, and you need a toughness to get through it. Nate found his. Perfect review, my friend... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I read this chapter and didn't leave a review because I wasn't sure what to say. The conversation between Nate and his dad was hard to read. Nate is fortunate that his dad realizes that he made an enormous mistake, but the hurt of being told, by someone who is supposed to love you unconditionally, that you need to be fixed because of your sexuality could potentially stay with him forever. Mark learned a hard lesson - some things can't be fixed with an "I'm sorry". Gaining his son's trust back is going to be a hard climb.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Man, this thing disappeared off the cue fast. :)
You nailed it again, G-Man...emotional upset and confrontation are the center of this one, but the most important part is the support of family...if you can't find it in the expected place of parents, then we can hope to find it in grandparents or older siblings. Given the broken trust between Mark and Nate, I believe Megan is wrong in insisting he return home for school...the most important thing is that Nate feels safe, and he doesn't at home, so things can only remain high-stress for him there...then add to that the feeling of his schoolmates after being forcibly outed? That is a sure path to another attempt to end the pain...and he might do it this time. Leave him in Ontario until you get your own house in order Megan.
I think Nate sees very clearly what needs to be done, and not trusting his father is more than understandable. If that can be mended, and I won't say it will ever be completely fixed, then Nate can consider going home, but not to that old school.
Can't wait for Mike and Colleen to get the news...fireworks will be an understatement!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/01/2015 07:40 PM, Bucket1 said:

You bastard! You made me tear up. Bloody authors.

LOL. I consider it a compliment when you call me a bastard. It was emotional, for sure. We all grew up having to deal, and watching Nate's pain as he dealt with his dad, was tough. I'm so proud of him. I wish every gay kid had the support he does. And us bloody authors are all the same... and you're one of them. If it's any consolation, I was crying while you guys were having fun in the forum... thanks, my friend for reviewing... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/01/2015 10:46 PM, EagleIsaac said:

I read this chapter and didn't leave a review because I wasn't sure what to say. The conversation between Nate and his dad was hard to read. Nate is fortunate that his dad realizes that he made an enormous mistake, but the hurt of being told, by someone who is supposed to love you unconditionally, that you need to be fixed because of your sexuality could potentially stay with him forever. Mark learned a hard lesson - some things can't be fixed with an "I'm sorry". Gaining his son's trust back is going to be a hard climb.

Well said, Eagle. As parents, we don't always get do-overs. If Mark isn't genuine, it will all fall apart. That conversation was a hard one for me too. As dugh said earlier, all parents can relate. It comes back to fathers and sons again, as so much in a gay man's life often does. You're right... 'I'm sorry' alone won't cut it. Thanks for the great review, buddy... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/01/2015 10:56 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Man, this thing disappeared off the cue fast. :)

You nailed it again, G-Man...emotional upset and confrontation are the center of this one, but the most important part is the support of family...if you can't find it in the expected place of parents, then we can hope to find it in grandparents or older siblings. Given the broken trust between Mark and Nate, I believe Megan is wrong in insisting he return home for school...the most important thing is that Nate feels safe, and he doesn't at home, so things can only remain high-stress for him there...then add to that the feeling of his schoolmates after being forcibly outed? That is a sure path to another attempt to end the pain...and he might do it this time. Leave him in Ontario until you get your own house in order Megan.

I think Nate sees very clearly what needs to be done, and not trusting his father is more than understandable. If that can be mended, and I won't say it will ever be completely fixed, then Nate can consider going home, but not to that old school.

Can't wait for Mike and Colleen to get the news...fireworks will be an understatement!

Thanks, CG. I think Megan is uncertain, more than wrong. She's a good mom and she wants her kids with her. As she said, she figures she has to leave Mark, and she knows she'll have to move in order to switch schools for Nate, and she's willing. But you're right... that house needs to be put in order. Let's see what they come up with. Nate has told them what he wants/needs, so the ball is in their court. Thanks for the well thought out review, my friend...maybe news of the engagement is just what Colleen and Mike need right now... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

That was a really emotionally charged chapter. Luckily for Nate, he has amazing back up that will never ever let him fall.
Even though Michael had invited Nate to sit with him and Kendall on the sofa, I thought it was very telling how quickly he ended up between them when his dad called for the second time. The way I see it, they (and Colleen and Big Mike) are living, breathing "security blankets" for Nate something he really needs right now.
Loved reading the normality of "I know something you don't know". It was a nice realistic touch to show that Nate is feeling better about his situation and the kid in him is on his way back to being ok.
As always, great chapter Gary. Thank you.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 10/02/2015 08:18 AM, Reader1810 said:

That was a really emotionally charged chapter. Luckily for Nate, he has amazing back up that will never ever let him fall.

Even though Michael had invited Nate to sit with him and Kendall on the sofa, I thought it was very telling how quickly he ended up between them when his dad called for the second time. The way I see it, they (and Colleen and Big Mike) are living, breathing "security blankets" for Nate something he really needs right now.

Loved reading the normality of "I know something you don't know". It was a nice realistic touch to show that Nate is feeling better about his situation and the kid in him is on his way back to being ok.

As always, great chapter Gary. Thank you.

Nate may look sixteen, but he is only fourteen (in a week) so he is very much a kid. After he stood up to his dad, he reverted to a kid who needed his grams, despite the positive aspects of the call. It was a lot to ask of a kid, to almost berate his own father, someone he worshiped a couple of weeks ago. Kendall and Michael gave him what he needed to get through this tough morning. Now he can be a kid for a little while. Thanks for your wonderful review, Reader... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..