Jump to content
    Headstall
  • Author
  • 5,930 Words
  • 12,938 Views
  • 192 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cards on the Table - 63. Chapter 63 A Brilliant Move

"Everything has fallen into place."

Cards on the Table

 

 

Chapter 63

 

 

Kendall let out a whoop as he spun around to embrace Michael, leaning back and attempting to lift the big man off the ground. Succeeding only after his fiancé jumped up in celebration, he staggered, laughed, and held on tight. They’d just walked out of the lawyer’s office with the keys to the stone house.

The procedure had been short and simple. A few signatures in a few places and it was done. They were poorer in money, but Kendall had never felt richer.

“We did it, Ace! It’s all ours!”

Michael’s answer was more whooping. He followed up with a smacking kiss before he uncurled his legs and let his feet drop back to the concrete.

“Jeez, you’re heavy. Come on. Everyone’s waiting for us. Do you want to drive?”

“No… I’m too excited… picked a great time to call me fat again.”

Kendall groaned. “I have never called you fat… ever. You’re perfect, and you know it.”

Michael grinned, the twinkle in his eye unmistakable.

“You’re an ass.”

“Not a fat ass, though, right?”

Kendall rolled his eyes. “Shut up and get in the car.”

“No time for that now. We’ve got to get moved in first. Maybe later, though.”

“Maybe?” Kendall raised an eyebrow as he slid in behind the wheel.

“Okay. You’re right. We have to have sex to initiate the new place. You win.”

“Oh my God. Shut up, will you?”

Laughter pealed out of Michael. “Someone else is excited too.”

“Damn right I am.”

“About getting lucky?”

“Shut… can we stop this?” Kendall returned the laughter. “Cloud Nine, here we come.”

 

The act of turning into the driveway held a new significance this time. It was a momentous moment in their lives. The house stood in dazzling morning sunlight, a tangible symbol of what he and Michael were building.

“Finally,” Michael uttered. “We’re home. This is home.”

Kendall slowed to a stop, switching his attention from glistening grey stone to his fiancé. “Yes, we are. What the hell are we going to do with all this room?”

Michael met his gaze. “What are you talking about? Won’t take long to fill it, and besides, we already have Nate.”

“Yeah, true. And that means Bodie… and then my parents….”

“… And then our son.”

“Full house and we haven’t even made it up the driveway,” Kendall said, swallowing down some emotion.

“Aren’t you forgetting something? Someones?”

“Oh, right… the girls… we can finally have them with us.”

“Can’t wait. Lots of possibilities, Deuce. Doesn’t seem so big now, does it?”

“No, it doesn’t… but it’s still a huge house.”

“Yup, and I love it. Are you ready?”

“Absolutely. Can’t wait either.”

“Then drive us up. We’re getting stared at… I think they’re wondering what we’re doing.”

Kendall switched focus to the group waving at them, looking almost as excited as they were. “There’s not that much for these guys to help with, but it’s nice they’re here. We’ll be done before noon.”

Michael snorted. “You’re going to keep us busy all day, knowing you.”

“Probably,” Kendall admitted as he edged the truck forward, joining Michael in waving back at their friends. He hadn’t expected Lanny would be there on a middle-of-the week workday. He and Janine were standing with Arron and Chet, while Mom and Pop were backing their truck in beside the steel container, sitting with its big sliding door facing the side entry. The movers had dropped it in the most convenient spot.

Whatever was packed in the back of Big Mike’s monstrous shop truck had him curious. He’d put the tall homemade rails on the box, so only a bit of cardboard was visible. Just as Kendall put Beauty in park, Nate and Bodie came running into view from the back of the house. They looked flushed and out of breath, and both were holding poorly concealed snowballs.

“You see that?” Kendall asked.

“Uh huh.”

“They wouldn’t dare.”

“Sure they would. They’re still mad at what we did to their fort.”

“We?”

“Okay, me. We need Mom’s help. Bodie’s got a major league arm.”

“Yeah, and Nate’s almost as good.” Kendall grinned at Michael. “Look at us… two old scaredy-cats.”

“Damn right. I don’t want any more balls to the head… unless they’re yours.” Michael grinned back as he swung his door open and stepped out, keeping it between him and the boys. “Mom, look at what your grandson has in his hand.”

Colleen had just stepped out the truck, and looked around at Nate and Bodie. “You two put those down right now. We all have work to do, and this isn’t the time for someone to get wet.”

“Yes, Grams,” they uttered at the same time, but Nate, and then Bodie, made a show of carefully putting their snowballs down for later. The challenge was issued, and Kendall snorted. Michael’s response was to show them his tongue.

“Hi, Mom. Hi, Pop. It’s all wrapped up, and we’ve got the keys. Hey guys. Thanks for coming,” Kendall said as he went around the truck and gave Janine a hug. He shook Lanny’s hand before moving on to Arron and Chet. It was impossible to wipe the smile off his face at all the congratulations.

Michael, copying his actions, wore a similar one. “What’s in the truck, Dad?”

“Something your mother picked out. You’ll see. Open the damn door so she can check out this house.”

Kendall grinned at the exchange. “So Mom can check out the house?”

“I’ll take a gander too, smart-aleck.”

“Thought so.”

“Hey, who’s driving the van?”

“That’s us,” Chet answered. “We got you a housewarming present.”

“And you needed a van?” Kendall's curiosity was piqued again.

“Yeah. You’ll find out what it is in due time,” Arron said teasingly.

Michael stopped moving, his attention on the driveshed. “What the heck is that?”

Kendall followed his gaze. There were chain link gates of some kind stacked inside, really big ones, against the far wall.

Bodie spoke up. “Yeah, my Dad and I brought those over this morning with our box trailer, but he didn’t want to set them up until you saw them.”

“What are they?”

“A movable dog kennel. It’s ten feet by twenty. We don’t need it anymore… haven’t used it since we had the kennel built… so we thought you guys might want it for Lily and Rose? Two of the panels have gates that open inward… they can’t be pushed open… well, unless you turn the panels around… and it’s really solid. Two people can lift it, but it’s easier with four. If you want, Nate and I can put it together, and then you can decide if you want it.”

“Oh, we want it. This is great.” Michael was at the panels now. “We could set it up at this end, right against the driveshed.”

“Right against?” Bodie asked.

“Yeah. I’m thinking we could put an opening in the wall and section part of this off for shelter… something insulated. That way they wouldn’t be stuck inside while we’re at work.”

“Oh, that would be convenient,” Colleen enthused.

“I’ll say,” Kendall agreed. “I like that idea a lot. We’ll have to go thank your dad later, Bodie. Um, Michael?”

“Yeah, Babe?”

“The keys are all on one ring still, and you’ve got it.”

“Oh, right. Sorry, Mom.”

 

They let Colleen go first. Her soft exclamation as she entered the kitchen was totally understood by Kendall. His memory didn’t do the room justice. It barely registered when Big Mike pushed past him, but Michael’s arms encircling him from behind, did.

“Look at Mom’s face,” was murmured into Kendall’s ear.

He sighed. “I probably have the same look. I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but it makes me want to cook something. I forgot how great… check out that gas range—it looks brand new—and serious.”

He twisted at Michael’s chuckle. “I've never heard you get excited about a stove before.”

“I never was before.”

“Wow,” was exclaimed from the doorway.

Kendall took in Janine’s rapt expression. “What do you think?” he asked her.

“This is a dream kitchen if ever I saw one. Like something out of a magazine. Oh, Lanny”—she turned and gestured—“isn’t this amazing?”

“Ah, I have snow on my shoes… I don’t want to make a mess,” he answered from the entry.

Coleen halted her silent inspection and turned. “Don’t you worry about that, lad. I brought my mop with me, and I’ll wipe up after you men as you move stuff in. Janine, you can help me if you don’t mind. I have to wipe all these cupboards out before we put stuff in them.”

“Sure, I’ll help with that, and the mopping.”

Lanny blushed as he walked further in, treading carefully while looking unconvinced, and uncomfortable.

“Dude, we all have our shoes on. It’s only water. Go ahead and check the house out. Seriously.”

Visibly relaxing, Lanny said, “Wow… something else,” as he looked around the room.

Extremely pleased, Kendall turned to Colleen. “What do you think, Mom?”

She continued to open doors and drawers as she spoke. “Seeing photos isn’t the same. It’s way better in person. I could cook here all day, and be happy doing it.”

“Feel free,” Michael joked, finally letting go of Kendall and walking over to look into the dining room.

“Yeah, Grams. I might starve to death here if you don’t.” Nate was standing at the doorway, with Bodie right behind him. “Holy crap. This is unbelievable. Can we go see my room?”

“We’re all going to learn to cook, nephew, and that includes you, so if you starve it’ll be your own fault,” Michael said without turning around.

“Hey, I can cook. So, can we?”

“Go ahead. Check out the place and then we’ll get to work,” Kendall answered. “Don’t worry about your shoes for now.”

“Sweet.” He took off for the stairs with Bodie on his heels, the squeak of wet sneakers on hardwood impossible to ignore. “Oh, Uncle Mike, we need tools for the kennel,” he called out.

“Toolbox behind the seat of Kendall’s truck,” he responded as he turned back into the kitchen.

Kendall shot him an alarmed look and Michael clued in as to what was also behind the seat. “I’ll get it for you,” he said, spinning around and leaving the room with a barely-heard chuckle.

 

Kendall followed Colleen as she prowled the downstairs, gushing effusive praise about everything she saw. Big Mike had already toured the main floor and was now upstairs with Lanny, Janine, and the boys.

“It’s so beautiful… so perfect. My goodness, beautiful boy, I’m so happy for you both.”

“Thanks, Mom. It’s kind of classy, isn’t it?”

“Yes, it is… elegant, I’d say.”

“Elegant… I like that. There’s lots more to see. Are you ready to head upstairs?” They were in the future office, across from the kitchen, and Colleen stood at the window, looking out.

“There’s a lovely view from every room, and you can’t see any sign of neighbors.”

“The view across the road is my favorite. I can picture us sitting out there on our new verandah, once it’s built, looking out over those hay fields.”

Colleen turned from the window. “All those years you two weren’t truly happy, this was what I wished for you. So many times I was tempted to interfere, and I was always second guessing myself, but you boys found your way all on your own. And now look… everything has fallen into place. Come on… show me the rest before I get all misty.” Colleen was smiling, but Kendall saw the tears.

It hit him again just how hard it had been for this diminutive woman. He should have known she’d have seen through him and how he felt about her son. And, it turns out, she understood the man better than he did himself. It was her prodding, nudging Michael to see his truth, which made this all possible. He gathered her up in his arms. “Thank you for always being there for me. I owe you so much.”

“Oh, don’t be silly. You don’t owe me a thing. I owe you for what you give Michael. For what you give all of us. Seeing my boys this happy is all a mother could ask for. Now, show me the rest of this beautiful home.”

They passed Big Mike, Lanny, and Janine on the stairs, and Kendall reveled in the exclamations. Colleen wandered while Kendall went right to the master bedroom window and looked out over the driveway. “Mom,” he called, “is that a bed in your truck?” He already knew the answer because he could see the plastic wrapped mattress and what looked like a split box spring, also wrapped.

“Yes, it is. Oh, my, this room is wonderful. A fireplace is such a nice thing to have in a bedroom.”

“I love this room too, other than the color.”

“I like it, but it is a little outdated, I suppose.”

“It’s nice enough, but it’s just not us. So, you bought us a bed?”

“Yes, dear, we did. I know it’s such a personal thing… buying a bed… but when you talked about turning yours around so you could see into the nursery, I immediately thought a sleigh bed would be perfect, because the headboard and footboard are exactly the same… I’d racked my brain trying to decide on a housewarming gift….”

“Oh, that’s a sleigh bed?”

“Yes… a king size one, and I’m relieved to see it will fit in here with lots of room to spare. We could have used a king size bed when Megan and Michael were growing up… there were lots of times one or the other ended up in our bed. So, what are you thinking?”

“I’m thinking we could have used a King at your house… Nate takes up a lot of room,” Kendall said with amusement. “I’m also thinking you already gave us a housewarming gift with your down payment help, not to mention Pop’s insistence on paying for the veranda materials.”

“Oh, now you know those weren’t proper housewarming gifts.”

“Of course they weren’t.” Kendall smiled warmly at her. “It’s a fantastic idea… the sleigh bed. I hadn’t thought of that, but you’re right… it’s the perfect solution. Thank you so much.”

“You’re welcome. And there are two dressers on the way… a long, mirrored one, and a tall one. They had to re-order them because they arrived at the store in the wrong color. It’s possible they could be delivered this afternoon… there’s a rush on them, but the manager said not to count on it. We decided yesterday to pick up the bed so we could make certain it, at least, would be here today.”

“You and Pop really are the greatest—I just realized this means we’ll have a spare bed for guests now. I was worried about filling this place up, and this really helps. I guess I should go down and get started. Oh, we’re going to need some new bedding to fit the King… I can slip out later,” Kendall said as they left the room.

“Already taken care of, dear.”

 

Bodie and Nate were busy putting the kennel together, Colleen and Janine were doing their thing in the kitchen, Mike, Michael, and Lanny were unloading the new bed, and Kendall, Chet and Arron had begun unloading the moving container.

It was going well, and fast. The bed went in through the front door and straight up the stairs, Kendall could hear talking and some laughter from above as they went about setting it up. He decided to stay clear… too many cooks philosophy was best.

He was astonished at the speed with which the two women unloaded each kitchen box he brought in. Colleen seemed to know exactly where everything should go without even thinking about it, and when they were done, there were still a lot of empty cupboards.

Setting the stools at the island was a satisfying moment, and he took a seat on the final one, looking around the bright room. It was the kind of kitchen to be lived in, much like Colleen’s. All it was missing was a proper table in the windowed corner, but the stools would do for now.

“I set it up like my kitchen, to start, and you can change it to suit yourself,” Colleen said after she turned on the tap and filled her glass. “Oh this is good tasting water. Have you tried it?”

“No, actually, I haven’t, but it has a state of the art UV filtering system according to Chet.”

Colleen filled a glass and passed it to him. It was astonishingly good, and he downed the whole thing after savoring the first sip. “Tastes nothing like the water at the apartment.”

“There’s nothing like good well water,” Colleen said as she handed another full glass to Janine. “How much is left to do?”

“Just the bed and dressers, and the couch and chairs. Oh, and the rug and coffee table.” The words had just left his mouth when Arron walked by with the rug, and Chet with the table.

“No sitting down on the job,” Chet said with a huge smile. “What do you want to bring in next, boss, the bed or the couch?”

Kendall stood with the same smile on his face. “I guess it’s time to wrestle the mattress upstairs. It’ll give me a chance to peek in at the new bed. They should be done putting it together by now.” The sound of multiple feet on the stairs confirmed it was the case.

“Babe, come see our new bed. It’s like an island.” Michael entered through the dining room, grabbing Kendall’s hand and urging him off the stool. “I checked, and you can see straight into the nursery from the foot of the bed. I think we have it in the right spot… it’s centered under the south window and it only blocks a few inches of it. It’s, like, the perfect bed.”

“I’m glad you approve, Michael,” Colleen said.

“I more than approve, Mom. Thank you so much.” He let go of Kendall’s hand and scooted over to give his mother a hug.

“You’re welcome,” came out muffled by the much shorter Colleen.

“Come on,” Michael repeated, once he let her go and grabbed Kendall’s hand again, his excitement causing smiles around the room.

“You guys go ahead. We’ll bring up the bed. The room next to the master, right?”

“That’s right, Arron… thanks,” Kendall answered as he followed Michael.

“What about me?” Lanny asked after leaning down to give Janine a peck. Kendall tried to stop, but Michael kept tugging.

“You and Big Mike can bring the couch and chairs in if you want. And then we’re pretty much done. Oh and the dressers,” Arron said.

“And the stuff in the van,” Chet reminded him.

“Oh, yeah, right,” was all a curious Kendall heard as he was pushed up the stairs by an insistent Michael.

“So what do you think?”

“Oh, wow.” He sat on the edge, and looked around the room. “Yeah, this is far enough from the fireplace, but not too close to the door. There’s lots of room for a dresser on this side.”

“Dad says two of them are coming that match the bed.”

“I know. Mom told me. They are way too good to us.”

“It makes them happy.”

“I know that too. Jeez, this is amazing.” He let his upper body fall backward into the softness of the memory foam mattress.

“It is, isn’t it? Nice and firm.” Michael sat beside him and did the same. There was still lots of bed beyond their heads. “Think of the fun we can have on this.” He turned his head sideways, wiggling his eyebrows at Kendall.

“We have our own playground.”

“We can test it out tonight, right?”

Kendall heard footsteps on the stairs, so he murmured as he sat back up. “It’s a date.” He chuckled at Michael’s happy grin. “Come on. We’ve still got work to do.”

“Yes, boss.”

The rumble of a large vehicle caused Kendall to walk over to the corner window. A truck was moving up the driveway. “Hey, Nate’s bedroom furniture is here. Perfect timing.”

He turned around to see Arron at the door. “That’s a beautiful bed. Damn, you guys are spoiled.”

“We are for sure,” Michael agreed. “I can’t wait to sleep in it.”

“Yeah, I’m sure that’s what you can’t wait for.” Arron rolled his eyes and grinned. “So… the dressers… you want them in here until the new ones arrive? Colleen told me they might take a few days.”

“I don’t know,” Kendall answered. “Michael?”

“Let’s put them in the spare room. Most of our clothes can go in the closets until they get here.”

“That’s true… we have a lot more closet space now. So, yeah, we’ll put them in the spare room. Makes the best sense. I better get down there and greet the furniture guys.”

“And I’ll help with the dressers,” Michael said.

 

Kendall laughed at Nate’s little happy dance when he walked out the door. They were still hard at work on the new kennel. "What’s taking you guys so long?”

“We put one of the panels backwards so the door opened the wrong way,” Bodie answered sheepishly.

Kendall laughed again.

“That’s my new bedroom stuff, right?”

“Yup, it is. Stay out of their way until they’re finished, okay?”

“We will,” Nate answered as Kendall approached the delivery truck.

“Need some help?”

“No help needed, sir. We get paid to do all the work, if you could just point the way.”

“Sounds good to me. And don’t worry about those booties. It’s only snow, and it won’t hurt the floors,” Kendall assured the delivery men. “It’s the first room at the top of the stairs, and you can go in through the front door. It’s the simplest way.”

He watched as they put the first chest of drawers, protected by substantial wrapping, on the hydraulic ramp. When they were ready, he led them to the Nate’s new room. He discussed with the older one where the furniture should be placed and they came up with a plan he liked. It did make sense not to have the bed on the west wall as he originally envisioned, because, as the delivery guy had pointed out, Nate wouldn’t have to walk around the bed to access his dressers.

 

Chet met him at the bottom of the stairs, and Kendall was hit with the smell of brewing coffee. “Time for your housewarming gift.”

“Oh, we finally get to see what’s in the van?”

“Nope, the van’s empty now. Follow me.” Chet’s grin was huge.

When they entered the kitchen from the hallway, he stopped dead. The one thing the room needed, hell, the one thing the house needed, was now in place under the hanging light in the corner. It was a solid-looking pedestal table with four chairs, and it looked absolutely perfect.

Michael stood silently at the island, a smile on his face, but other than Arron, everyone else had disappeared. Vaguely, voices registered, coming from the back section of the house.

“Well? Say something,” Arron said from where he was leaning against the counter.

“Sorry… I’m almost speechless… you guys are the best. I love it. It looks like it belongs in here.”

“That’s what Chet said when we saw it at auction.”

“Auction?” Kendall had walked over to the table, his hand gliding over the dark wood top. The tone was the same as the surrounding woodwork of the house.

“Yeah, an estate auction. We saw a list of the main items in the paper saying there was a pedestal table, circa 1904, so I figured we should go take a look,” Chet answered.

“That’s the year this house was built, right?”

“Yes, and that’s why we wanted to check it out. There’s a stamp underneath that has the date and maker, and it turns out it was crafted in Ontario, which makes it even more fitting.”

“Cool. I love the chairs too.”

“The table is original, but the chairs are typical Windsor reproductions. They’re only about thirty, forty years old, but we thought they looked good with the black finish, so we picked them up at the same time. They were a steal considering they’re all armchairs.”

“The black really stands out, guys. You really didn’t have to do this, but thank you so much. It was the last thing we needed to make this a home, right Michael?”

“Our first table, Deuce. We’re finally grown-ups.”

I wouldn’t go that far,” Chet said with a cheeky grin, “but, you’re welcome.”

“It was our pleasure… this perfect kitchen deserved a perfect table,” Arron said as he walked over to it and sat down. “Now could someone pour me a cup of that coffee so we can celebrate that you’re all moved into your new home?”

 

It was closing in on four in the afternoon, and all the help had left, other than Bodie. Colleen had provided lunch for them all, in the form of sandwiches and delicious date squares, and had stocked their fridge with a couple of coolers full of prepared food. She’d also gotten the bathrooms in order with towels and soap, and Kendall had unpacked their toiletries.

Michael and Kendall were now wrestling with the gorgeous black, grey, and burgundy bedding Colleen had picked out for their new king, and the boys were doing the same thing in Nate’s room. It was one of the last things needing to be done to make the house habitable enough to call it a day.

The TV’s had already been set up, hooked up to the cable, and the internet wifi, thanks to Lanny, was working perfectly. Kendall had fallen in love with the house more and more with each passing moment. The office, for example, situated as it was, turned out to be more convenient than he’d previously considered. With the door open, he could see and talk to whoever was in the kitchen. That wasn’t possible at the apartment.

The only difference that had hit him as less than ideal, was the laundry being in the basement. Still, it was bright and roomy down there, and as Michael had pointed out, they could set up a gym and work out while they laundered their clothes. Kendall, though, was toying with the idea of moving it to the back part of the house so it could be shared by his parents. He’d have to talk to the contractor to see if it was feasible. Like Michael had said when they first arrived… so many possibilities.

They still had boxes of clothing and such to unpack, but that could wait. There was one more pressing matter to attend to, and that was bringing Lily and Rose home.

“Did you hear that?” Michael asked.

“Yeah. I think someone is knocking on the door. Oh, maybe it’s Mira and Scott.”

“Could be. I’ll go.”

“No, we both will… our first visitors.” Kendall gave Michael a high five before they rushed down the stairs. Nate could be heard laughing over the music coming from his room.

They were breathing heavy by the time they reached the entry. On the other side of the door stood a regal Mrs. B, again clothed in black, holding what looked like a cake tin.

“Hey, Mrs. B. Come on in,” Kendall said as he pulled the door wide.

“Hi, Mrs. B. You look lovely today.”

“Why thank you, Michael, but you can’t fool this old woman with your silver tongue.” She beamed at the two of them, but Kendall thought it somewhat forced. “I was going to bring these over earlier, but I had an unfortunate mishap. I see the vehicles are all gone now.”

“Yes,” Kendall responded. “We’re all moved in, and our helpers have left. Come in, come in. We’ll show you around.”

“No, dear, I can’t today. I’m way behind, and it will be dark soon. I’ve missed my constitutional, but I still have time to walk as far as the Taylor’s. Now, you take these cookies. I’m sorry I didn’t get them here before your helpers left, but they’ll keep in the tin for a week or two.”

Kendall took them from her and shared a look with Michael. “Thank you. We’ll have no trouble eating these up, I guarantee you.” He smiled, but didn’t get one in return.

“Is everything okay, ma’am?” Michael asked from beside him. “Did something happen?”

Mrs. B was in the process of turning away, and she hesitated. “It’s nothing. Mr. B took a spill, is all.”

“Ma’am? What does that mean? Are you all right?” Another look passed between him and Michael. How could her deceased husband take a spill?

“Oh, now don’t give me those looks. I’m fine, and I’m not losing my mind.” She hesitated, her reluctance showing. “I was cleaning, and when I was putting Mr. B back on the mantle, I dropped him… he went everywhere.”

Her hand rose to her mouth and her eyes looked pained. “It was… very upsetting… but I’ve gathered him up and put him back together. I believe I have most of him, but it took me quite a long time, and well, it’s impossible to gather up all the dust. I don’t bend like I used to.”

Kendall was taken aback at what must have been devastating for the poor woman, and was about to offer his sympathies when Michael spoke. “Well, who doesn’t want to lose a little weight, right?”

Kendall was, at first, mortified at his comment, but Mrs. B started to cackle. “That’s true, Michael, and the man did love his food.”

“So, there you go then. He probably likes feeling a tad lighter.”

“That’s a good point… he was always self-conscious of his belly, so he probably does, and to be honest, the man did spread himself all over the furniture when he was alive. He didn’t sit… he sprawled.” A softer giggle followed her words, and Kendall found himself chuckling.

“Maybe you should seal his urn this time so it can’t happen again?” He shrugged at Michael. It was a weird conversation.

“It wouldn’t have made any difference. The urn was porcelain, and it shattered when it hit the hardwood floor.”

“Oh, right, that wouldn’t have worked. You didn’t cut yourself, did you?” His gaze went to her leather-gloved hands.

“No, dear, I was careful when I was separating him from the pieces.”

“Where is he now, Mrs. B?” Michael asked.

“He’s in the cookie jar.”

“The… cookie jar?” Michael’s gaze went to the container Kendall was holding, and a chortle burst out of Mrs. B.

“Don’t worry… your cookies were in there long before this happened, and they were out on the kitchen counter.” Now the tiny woman was back to cackling. “I put him in a teapot first, but there was too much of him.” Her amusement grew, and so did theirs. “The only thing I could find big enough that had a lid was my old cookie jar… he always had his hand in there anyway.”

“Well, it’s fitting then, isn’t it, and you can always order a new urn.”

“That’s what I thought at first, Michael, but I’ve decided he’s staying right where he is. He knows his new home well, and he always hated the idea of moving… twice in one day is enough. I will have to get a new cookie jar, though.” Her smile was genuine, and her twinkling eyes had completely lost their earlier pain.

“Sounds like you had a tough day. Are you sure you don’t want a cup of tea or something?” Kendall asked.

“No, but thank you, and thank you for helping me see the humor in Mr. B’s little journey. I should have remembered his wicked sense of humor. I’ll be back another time. Now you boys enjoy those cookies, and I’ll continue my walk. Oh, and welcome to the neighborhood,” she called out as she marched away in Mrs. B fashion.

Kendall chuckled as he closed the door. “That poor woman.”

“I’m sure it was traumatic for her, Babe. She’s a tough old bird, though.”

“It was nice to hear her laughing about it. I was a little worried at first that she’d lost it when she said he took a spill.”

“There’s not a thing wrong with that woman’s mind.”

“Nope, it appears not, but she is a little eccentric. I wonder if we’ll ever see her in a color other than black… or without a fancy hat.”

“I doubt it, but who knows. Lots of widows wear black. Oh, jeez, these melt in your mouth.” Michael was already munching on a cookie. He held out the other half for Kendall.

“Oh, wow… peanut butter and white chocolate… so good.”

The thunder of feet on the stairs was followed by, “Hey, where did you get those?”

“Our neighbor,” Michael replied to a flushed Nate.

“What were you guys up to?” he asked.

“Nothing. Just making my bed up.”

“Yeah, right. Why’s Bodie’s hair such a godawful mess?”

“So these are from Mrs. B? Oh, her cookies are awesome,” the blond boy exclaimed, trying to adroitly change the subject. Kendall wasn’t fooled, and grinned at Michael’s amused gaze.

“Help yourself… no more than a couple. We’ll have dinner after we bring Rose and Lily home and get them settled. You want to join us, Bodie?”

“For Gram’s meatloaf? Heck yeah, if you’re willing to share.”

“How did you know we were having meatloaf?”

“Nate said,” was his answer. Two young hands went into the tin at the same time.

“You know how to work the dishwasher?” Michael asked.

“Yeah, of course.”

“Then we’ll share our meatloaf. As long as your mom agrees.”

“She already knows,” Bodie said slyly, and he and Nate burst into giggles.

Kendall rolled his eyes at the pair. “Are you two ready to walk over? We’re going to run out of daylight, and I want to play with the puppies outside for a while.”

“We’re ready,” Nate mumbled his answer around the cookie in his mouth. “Man, these are amazing.”

“Told ya. She bakes all the time.” Bodie was mumbling too as he took a second cookie. “Their crate is already folded up in the kennel. I can carry it back.”

“That’s great, Bodie, thanks. Okay, come on… get your coats and shoes on.”

“I’ll get their leashes and collars,” Michael said excitedly, causing Kendall to smile at his retreating back. Today was the beginning of their little family.

 

They were out the door first. “Make sure you lock it,” Kendall called to Nate as he took Michael’s hand. “I’ve been waiting for this all day, Ace.”

“Me too, Deuce, me too, but we were smart to wait till we got organized. Hurry up, you slowpokes,” he said to the boys.

Neither one was expecting the snowballs that splattered on the back of their heads seconds later.

“Why, you little shits,” Michael sputtered.

“We’ve been waiting for that all day,” Nate said from about twenty-five feet away. His partner-in-crime was grinning broadly as they both pulled their arms back and let loose two more snowballs.

Sorry for the delay. Thank you for your patience. Thanks, Timothy, for all you do. Cheers to those who continue to support this story. :) 
Copyright © 2017 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 45
  • Love 56
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



17 minutes ago, Sweetlion said:

I always thought that pure Siamese cats they look a bit mean. Athough I think my common european cat has both Siamese and a long hair, probably Angora, heritage in it, and the mix is awesome. But pure Angora are Royal :yes:

 

We raised Siamese when I was growing up, and the only time I haven't had one since was for about five years, until I lost Bortai two years ago, now I'm thoroughly catless.  Never had a mean one, but they do tend to pick one person to devote themselves to...but they like everybody else too.

The meanest cat I had was 58, who appears in my story.  Long-haired tuxedo, nice to me, a terror to anyone else.  She'd attack visitors from convenient hiding places, like the insurance salesman one day.  She didn't adapt to the move into Columbus and died in 1988 aged 16.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..