Jump to content
    Headstall
  • Author
  • 4,757 Words
  • 11,471 Views
  • 71 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cards on the Table - 13. Chapter 13 Betting on a Sure Thing

Moving the game along.

Chapter 13

 

 

“Good morning, sleepyhead.” Kendall felt the gentle caress of lips on the corner of his mouth, bringing him out of the deep place where true sleep tries to hang on. That tantalizingly soft touch coaxed him to the surface, and he partially cracked open his eyes to be greeted by dark blue eyes staring into his. Instant connection. “You look sleepy-sexy, Babe.”

“You’re full of crap, but I like it.” Kendall’s voice croaked and he remembered the delicious fullness that had inhabited his throat the night before. Stretching and yawning brought him a little more awake as he looked over at a big blinding smile of brilliant white teeth and full red lips. He still found it hard to believe he would be waking up to something so heart-stopgingly beautiful, something so yearned for, every day from here on in. His heart increased its rate, and final wakefulness surged through him. They really were going to build a life together and last night was more confirmation of that. “What are all the teeth for, big guy? You know that’s a sign of aggression among apes, right?”

“I think you mean wolves, and are you calling me an ape, after I woke you up with a kiss and a smile? That hurts, Kendall.”

“Sorry. How can I make it up to you…, Kong?” Kendall’s laughter was contagious and Michael’s look went from indignant to pleased.

“We’re talking about my penis again, aren’t we?”

Kendall rolled his eyes at that. “Here we go again,” Kendall sighed. “The whole world doesn’t revolve around your dick, you big doofus. We were talking about your ape-like qualities.”

Michael smirked. “You think you’re saying one thing, but your subconscious is saying another. So far you’ve referred to my big guy, my Kong, and my big doofus. I think my penis is all you can think about, Babe.”

“Holy hell, is this what I get to wake up to every morning? Shoot me now!”

“Well grab hold of big doofus, and I’ll shoot you in no time at all.”

Kendall had no choice but to laugh at Michael’s persistence. “Don’t ever change, man, but there is no way you’re going to be shooting me this morning.”

“Awww, why not? I’ll let you shoot me too.”

God, Kendall loved this guy! He leaned in close and whispered in Michael's ear. “I love you so much, and I would gladly let you use me for target practice but your mom… our mom is out in the kitchen, making breakfast, and I don’t want her coming in here and seeing any weapons on display, big guy. Besides, you’re pretty loud when your gun goes off.”

“Says the guy that yells holy fuck over and over.” They shared a chuckle at the memory of that momentous discharge. “Okay, point taken. I guess a quick shower and food will have to do… for now,” Michael said with a wink. “Do you want me to answer your question, the one you asked before you called me an ape?”

Kendall was at a loss for what Michael was referring to and it showed.

“You asked me why I was smiling. I was smiling because every morning you’re going to be right where you are now, lying beside me, and I get to look at my guy, my partner, as soon as I open my eyes. I don’t think I’ll need my alarm clock anymore because I’m always going to be in a hurry to wake up so I can look at you.” Leaning over, he stole a tender little kiss.

“Wow, there’s that depth I was referring to. Were you always like this? Saying stuff like that makes me feel something I can’t put into proper words. The closest I can come is… it blows me away. I was thinking the exact same thing when I woke up; how lucky I was, to be able to do this every morning… be with you. And last night was almost too good. I felt so close to you, so connected, and if I ever lost that, I don’t think I could cope. It’s scary, Michael, but it’s an amazing scary; I hope it always stays like this.”

“It will. I promise you we’re never going to lose this. I couldn’t cope either. You’ve changed me forever, and I feel like a different person. As much as I want you, I need you more. I love you and I love us, and you’re right about last night… it felt like we were born to be together, you know?” Michael stared through moisture mirrored in shimmering turquoise eyes at Kendall’s soundless, slow nod before their lips met in a kiss spurred by an urgent need to connect.

A soft knock at the door broke the lingering kiss. “Boys, it’s time to get up. Breakfast will be ready in five minutes… don’t dawdle or your father will eat it all,” Colleen giggled.

“Okay Mom, we’re up. We’ll have a quick shower and be right there, okay?”

“Okay, but no fooling around in there.” They could hear Colleen’s laughter as she walked back out to the kitchen. A few seconds later, they heard Michael Sr.’s big booming laugh.

Kendall looked at Michael. “You don’t think they heard us last night, do you?”

“Of course not. I told you they couldn’t hear my music when I would blast it at night, so don’t worry. We weren’t that loud.” Kendall was dubious as they headed to the shower.

The breakfast table was a veritable feast in the typical fashion of Colleen. She knew her men and their appetites. Nobody spoke as pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, toast and home fries were taken seriously. Each man was on a mission, and Colleen watched with a mother and wife’s satisfaction. The happiness she felt this morning practically leaked out of her as she nibbled demurely on a piece of crispy bacon, and Michael loved seeing her joy. “Did you boys sleep well last night? That room can get pretty cool in this weather because it’s not as well insulated as the rest of the house.” There was a twinkle in her eye, and Michael could sense something was coming. Kendall was oblivious as he continued to demolish his plate full of food. “Of course you were probably snuggled up pretty closely, so that would keep you warm enough.” Kendall kept his head down, but there was a slight hesitation in his attack on the plate.

Michael Sr. spoke up after swallowing down a mouthful of scrambled eggs. “Don’t worry about the boys being warm enough, Mother. I heard them doing their exercises before they said their prayers and went to bed.” Colleen giggled and Pop looked innocently at Kendall. “That was you saying all those holys wasn’t it, Son?” Kendall looked so horrified that even Michael joined in the laughter from his parents. “I suppose Michael told you we couldn’t hear a thing from our room, didn’t he?” Kendall slowly nodded his beet-red face as he glowered at his partner, silently promising retribution. “Don’t worry, Son. We only heard the holys.”

Michael, in a desperate attempt to get himself out of the doghouse with Kendall, said, “I thought you couldn’t hear anything from my room. I used to have my music up loud after you guys went to bed!”

“Oh, bonnie boy, we could always hear your music. We just put up with it is all. Now we should stop picking on Kendall. I’m sorry, dear, but you know everything is fair game in this house. This is your house too, beautiful boy, and that is your and Michael’s room now. You never need to hide your affection for one another here.”

Kendall having regained his composure somewhat, couldn’t resist the opportunity. “Sounds travel in these old houses, Mom. I can’t even count the times I heard you and Pop moving furniture around in your bedroom, whenever I slept in the guest room.” Everyone was dead quiet for a few seconds, until Michael and his dad roared laughter at the comment. Even a red-faced Colleen eventually joined in as all four carried on like little kids, breakfast all but forgotten.

“That’s my boy, Kendall. You do a father proud,” and Big Mike did look at him with pride, knowing he could hold his own with this family. Pop wasn’t the only one looking at Kendall with pride; Michael glowed with love as he, still laughing, looked into Kendall’s eyes. There was no denying it. They did fit, like a comfortable pair of gloves. And his family just let them know that their love and commitment was accepted like any other union would be.

 

Watching their boys back out of the driveway, and head back to their apartment, Colleen and Big Mike stood with their arms around each other at the big living room window. Colleen sighed a happy sigh. “Have you ever seen Michael look this happy before, Mikey?”

“No, honey, I haven’t… not as an adult. It took him a long time to let himself go. I used to worry that he never would, you know? That he would just go through the motions his whole life, never letting himself feel what was inside. It’s nice not to have that worry anymore.”

“Yeah, it is, isn’t it? Do you think we should have helped them along sooner?”

“No, I don’t. They had to figure it out for themselves, just like my brother and my best friend did. It took them a couple of years to get there too. I think when Michael came to us on the Friday night… that was the right time. And you were wonderful, sweetie. After all these years I’m still in awe of the things you do. Our Michael was ready and you did what needed to be done. I gotta say though, my heart just about burst seeing him in so much pain. I never want to see that again, I can tell you. It actually scared me, you know? That kind of pain can make a person desperate, and to see that in your own son, well, it’s just too much.”

“I might have seemed like I knew what I was doing, but I can tell you now I was just as scared as you were. He looked so defeated… like a lost little boy. It really shook me up. He’s a whole new man today; they both are. I don’t know how Kendall hung in there for so long, but I love him for it. Our new son is a very special man. It’s too bad his father is the way he is. Kendall is a son to be proud of. Do you think we embarrassed him too much this morning?”

“Well, we did embarrass him, but we also showed him his and Michael’s love for one another is nothing to be ashamed of or shy about. I want our boys to be comfortable around us and show affection the way any couple does. No tiptoeing around in this house. Besides, he gave as good as he got. The only time I’ve seen you that red is after we make love and your face and neck turns that lovely shade.” Big Mike laughed as Colleen smacked his arm.

“Do you think they will ever give us grandchildren?”

“I could see it happening, baby. Why?”

“No reason. I mean I would like it if they did, but I’m more than satisfied they found their happiness together, and we gained a new baby boy,” Colleen giggled. “That’s good enough for me. Still, they are the kind of men that would make great parents, and our other grandchildren are so far away. It is something to hope for, I guess.”

“There is nothing wrong with hoping. I would like it too. Speaking of hoping, I was thinking we could move around some furniture in the bedroom. What do you think, woman?”

“Are you sure you’re up for it, old man? Maybe we could just move an end table?” Colleen looked at her husband innocently as he pondered her words.

“I was planning, my dear wife, on rearranging the whole damn room. This old man will have no trouble with the heavy lifting.” Colleen giggled at that as she headed for the stairs, her husband close on her heels. Reaching the top, Colleen turned to Big Mike, looking thoughtful.

“Mikey, do you think we could soundproof the wall between our room and the guestroom?” Michael Sr. roared laughter at that, while Colleen blushed and giggled.

“Ah, there’s that lovely shade of red again. I expect I be seeing that color again real soon.”

“Not too soon, I hope.” Colleen had thrown down a challenge and her husband was determined to meet it as he closed the door behind them.

 

Starting the drive back to the apartment, the truck was quiet as Kendall maneuvered Beauty through the busy little town. It wasn’t long before they were out of it and back on the less busy roads.

Michael spoke first. “I’m sorry if Mom and Dad embarrassed you this morning. You know the way they are. I really didn’t know they could hear us.” Kendall didn’t say anything for a while, and that started to worry his partner.

“Babe?”

“Oh sorry. I was just thinking about how amazing Mom and Pop are. They didn’t embarrass me, Michael. Okay, I was embarrassed but that isn’t what they were doing. They were showing us they accept us completely as a couple, and accept and love me as a son. They were making sure I was comfortable with us being ourselves in front of them. Before this morning, I would have been shy about kissing you or holding you in front of them, but they just took that all away. Now I have no qualms about showing you affection when they’re around because I know they’re genuinely happy for us. I don’t have a lot of experience with gay stuff but I’ve read enough to know they are very special people.”

“I am so glad you figured that out. I think they just might end up liking you best. Your comeback was priceless, man. Mom was redder than you were, and it’s not often my, sorry, our dad laughs that loud and for that long. I was proud of you and them. I feel so content now. I already had the best parents and now I have the best partner. You make me very, very happy, Kendall Dooley.”

“Right back at you, Michael Aceto. I told you the other night I was living a dream, and that’s what this feels like. It feels too good to be real life. And the bonus is, I get such awesome parents in the deal.” It was quiet again as both men thought about where they were at and where they were going. They kept catching each other’s eyes in the review mirror the whole time.

“Michael, do you think we’re too sappy and emotional and shit?” Michael could tell Kendall was asking a serious question but he didn’t quite understand what he was asking or why.

“I’m sorry, but I don’t know what you mean? Tell me what you’re thinking and maybe I can answer the question better.”

“Okay, I know it sounds dumb, but I find myself saying things and thinking things, and it’s all so new to me. Like, I always want to be telling you how amazing you are and how much I love you… the things you say to me sometimes make me feel like mush inside and before I know it I’m saying stuff, and I don’t know… I guess I just worry you might get sick of that kind of thing. I mean, you used to hate it when women got too lovey-dovey or possessive or wanted you to spend a lot of time with them… clingy, you’d call them, and that’s kind of what I’m doing, and I know you love me but still, if you want me to cool it or be less like, sappy, I can try and…”

“Kendall, stop! You’re rambling and you’re not making any sense. I mean, I understand what you’re saying, but it’s all bullshit. I think I’m the sappy one… I’m always saying stuff that’s mushy and I can’t help it because for the first time since I was a kid, I am truly happy. I didn’t want that from those women, because I didn’t love them. I love you. I’m not going to stop telling you how I feel and you better not either. I love the romantic shit now, because it’s us! If it’s sappy… too fucking bad. I finally have you, the man I love completely, so don’t expect me to hold back ever, because I won’t! I am different now, and I like it. The feelings you give back to me when we talk is what makes me feel on top of the world. Does that answer your question?”

“Fuck yeah. You keep doing it… and you’re gonna make me cry again.”

“If you feel like crying, Babe, then you cry. I love that we aren’t afraid to be real with one another. Those tears tell me how deeply you feel and that’s all good because I feel the same way. Do you understand? I want lovey-dovey from you… no, make that, I need lovey-dovey from you!”

“You got it. Romance rules! I am so gonna romance your ass, big guy.”

“Is that a promise?”

“Yes, horn-dog, that’s a promise.”

The visit with the therapist at the medical center was nothing but good news, as all the swelling in Michael’s left knee was completely gone. After a thorough examination, Michael was put through some simple knee flexing exercises. The end result was the therapist’s opinion that after one more visit to the center, Michael should be able to start rehabbing his knee. He was to come back the next afternoon and if no swelling had occurred from today’s exercises, he would get the green light. Michael and Kendall were ecstatic that all indications pointed to him making a complete recovery… His career as a police officer was not in jeopardy… nor was his hockey playing. A new sleeve would be fitted the next day which would allow flexing of the knee joint but no sideways movement, to protect the MCL from any further strain while rehabbing. Two very happy young men left the medical center, all smiles at the release of the tension they had been feeling prior to the visit.

“Thanks, Babe.”

“For what?”

“For everything. For getting me through this. You’ve been with me from the second it happened, protecting me and looking after everything for me. You’re my rock. I have to admit I was scared about how my knee would end up, but you made it so much easier to handle. Knowing you had my back no matter what, meant everything to me.”

“You’re welcome, Michael, but we both know you would have done the same for me. We have each other’s backs. That’s what partners do.”

“You’re right, but we weren’t partners when you punched Lanny’s face in and got yourself suspended. Speaking of which, you should get a letter from the league soon, to make it official.”

Kendall shrugged at that. “I’m really fine with it. It was worth it. The dickhead had it coming.”

“Kendall?”

“Yeah?”

“Thank you for never stopping loving me.”

“I tried, Michael, but it was impossible.”

“Impossible. I like that.”

Arriving back home, they got settled into what was officially their shared apartment. The difference meant a lot to both men. No longer Kendall’s apartment, this was their home now, and they were very happy they wouldn’t be separated again. Kendall made them a quick and easy pasta stir fry for their supper from the groceries they had bought before heading to Uxbridge. Life felt good and right as they ate their dinner, sharing Michael’s table with Kendall sitting on the bed beside him.

“Shit. I have to call Chet and tell him about us.” For a split second, Michael felt jealousy at the name, but it quickly dissipated as common sense took over. He knew he had nothing to be jealous of. Kendall was quick enough to see the flicker in Michael’s eyes though.

“Michael, you know there’s no reason to be jealous of Chet, right?”

“Yeah, Babe, I do. I admit I had a little reaction to his name but I am completely over the green-eyed monster. I think you should call your good friend. He’s probably wondering what happened to you.”

Kendall could see the sincerity in Michael’s eyes and felt relieved there was no issue for them to deal with. “Yeah, I haven’t talked to him in three days.”

“So why don’t you take your phone in the bedroom and call him and let him know what’s going on?”

Kendall looked in Michael’s eyes. “Why would I do that? Why would I need to call him from the bedroom? Are you sure you’re okay with Chet?”

Michael sighed in frustration. “Look, Deuce, I’m sorry… I was just trying to show you that I didn’t need to hear your conversation with him, and that I trust you. It came out all wrong, though. I think I was trying to compensate for being a jerk about him before.”

“It’s okay. I get it. Just know that I don’t need to have any kind of private conversation with Chet. I want to tell him about us, and I want you right with me, not in another room, all right?”

“Got it, Babe."

 

Chet hung up the phone, and walked over to the window overlooking the snow-covered parkland below. Bathed in moonlight, snow-draped shapes sparkled in otherworldly beauty, the landscape almost alien in its pristine beauty. Cold and lonely was how it looked and cold and lonely was how Chet felt. He knew Kendall’s phone call was coming. He expected it and even welcomed it. Now he could abandon that flicker of hope he held onto that maybe he had found someone to love. Kendall was one in a million, but he wasn’t his, and never could have been. Chet always knew that, but still he felt a sadness. Not for Kendall and Michael. Any fool could see they were meant to be, and he was genuinely happy for them. He had no doubts they would beat any obstacles put before them. No, his sadness was personal. Unlucky in love… that was Chet. Kendall was the first guy since Ian that he felt something for, and it had been unrealistic from the start. Kendall’s heart was always going to belong to Michael. At the ripe old age of twenty-seven, Chet felt defeated. Sure, he could get laid any time he wanted… but it wasn’t what he wanted. He wanted what Kendall and Michael had. He wanted a love that transcended barriers. He thought he had it once but it had been a mistake. That one taste though, had shown him what he needed to be happy, and as yet, he couldn’t find it. Sighing, he turned from the coldness before him, a shiver going through him as he headed down the hallway to the solitude of his bedroom. Maybe tomorrow he would call Kendall and tell him he changed his mind about the three of them getting together. For Kendall’s sake, he could handle seeing the two men really happy together.

 

“How did he take it?” Michael was holding Kendall’s hand as he asked the question.

“He sounded really happy for us. He said all the right things, but I don’t know, Ace. Something was off. He seemed a little sad at the same time. Maybe he’s bugged because I didn’t call him earlier, you know?”

“Maybe he cared for you more than you thought? You’re a hard guy not to love.”

“I hope you’re wrong. I mean, I know he was interested in me but we straightened that out right away. He was the one who told me he thought you cared for me more than as a friend. He encouraged me to talk to you, so I don’t think that’s it. Maybe he’s had a really bad day, and I’m just imagining things.”

“What did he say when you asked him about us getting together this week for coffee?”

“That was kind of weird, actually. He said he was really busy this week, but he didn’t offer to do it next week or anything. He didn’t seem all that interested in getting together. Maybe I’ve lost him as a friend?”

“Or, maybe he’s just lonely. You said he’s been single for a long time now, so maybe it’ll make him feel lonelier watching the two of us be happy. Does that make any sense from what you know of him?”

Kendall contemplated Michael’s words. “It does make a lot of sense, Sunshine. You’re not just a pretty face.” Michael batted his eyelashes at that, making Kendall laugh. “He doesn’t talk much about his history, but he’s mentioned a guy named Ian, and he looks sad when he does. Maybe you and I being together made him think about Ian, and that’s why he seemed sad?”

“I’m sure that’s it. Why don’t you give him a couple of days and call him again. And, Babe, maybe you should go see him alone the first time… make it easier on him.”

“Thank you for being so considerate, but I want us to see him together. We’re a couple now, and that’s non-negotiable in any friendship I have with anyone. If he can’t accept it or it makes him uncomfortable, then he can choose not to hang with us. I like him a lot and don’t want to lose him as a friend, but we’re a package deal, and you, my partner, will always come first.”

Michael enjoyed a warm glowing feeling from Kendall’s little declaration. “Did you just start romancing my ass off?”

“I think I just might have, but I have to warn you it’s an ongoing process and it may take a lifetime.”

“Fine by me. Totally fine by me,” he grinned. “Deuce?”

“Yeah?”

“It seems like it’s been a long day. Do you feel like going to bed and watching a movie? I could use some cuddle time with my guy.”

“Great minds think alike. That’s exactly what I want to do. Let’s get you settled and then I’m going to call Jeremy to make sure everything went well at work today.”

Half-an-hour later they were snuggled up in bed watching Robocop, content to be next to each other on their first night officially living together, the commitment sitting perfectly with both of them. The old movie was a hoot to them and they knew a lot of the lines by heart. They had a lot of fun reciting them around mouths filled with microwaved popcorn. At times like this, as it had been for their entire friendship, no one else in the world was needed. They thrived on each other’s company.

“Was everything okay at your work?”

“Yup. My team has everything under control, and Jeremy is very conscientious about doing a good job.”

“So, you’re not getting behind by looking after me?”

“No, Michael. Absolutely not. I may work on the schedule for a few hours in the morning before we leave for your appointment. Jeremy emailed me everything I need. They even caught the guys who were doing the graffiti, and turned them over to your crew. Are you missing going out on your patrols?”

“Not really, but I’ve only missed a couple of days so far, and I got to spend those with you so there’s nothing to complain about. I might go stir crazy in a couple of weeks though. Maybe they’ll try to stick me on desk duty. That would suck.”

“Speaking of sucking. Didn’t I make you some sort of promise earlier?”

“Hold on, Deuce, am I hearing things? Are you initiating a sexual situation? Be still my heart… what’s the occasion?”

“I thought maybe we should christen our new home together, But if you’d rather not…”

“Babe, I’m still in shock, but I’m not stupid.”

“I’ll make you a deal. You close your mouth and I’ll open mine.”

So Michael did, and Kendall did, and eventually their new home was pronounced seaworthy.

Thanks as always to Timothy M... Robin to my Batman...

Please join us in the COTT Forum for fun and lively discussions:
www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/39932-cards-on-the-table-by-headstall/
Copyright © 2017 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 73
  • Love 27
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Oh my...the boys can give as good as they get!!! I LOVE Mike's parents!!! Everyone should have such loving and caring parents as them.

 

I love the romance, the love, and the sharing that goes on with Kendall and Mike. They truly are meant for each other. I know that it can't all be smooth sailing and real life is going to get in the way sometimes. Let's hope they are able to weather the storm.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Mr and Mrs Ace are hilarious! I love how they teased the boys, letting them know their relationship is not just accepted but is encouraged in their home. Go Mr Ace! You move that furniture! Lol. I was so sad for Chet. He seems so lonely. I hope he finds someone. Maybe Jeremy? :o

 

K and M are so in love and it's great to see them interacting as lovers and best friends, with the joking and the innuendo. They are so sweet together. I love that K assured M that he is number one, no matter what and that Chet would accept them as a couple or wouldn't be around them. I think that took away any speck of jealousy or doubt the M would have had. I am curious to see what happens when K comes out to his parents. I'm concerned it's going to hurt Kendall, but he at least has Michael at his side.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 02/24/2015 12:02 PM, Gene63 said:
Oh my...the boys can give as good as they get!!! I LOVE Mike's parents!!! Everyone should have such loving and caring parents as them.

 

I love the romance, the love, and the sharing that goes on with Kendall and Mike. They truly are meant for each other. I know that it can't all be smooth sailing and real life is going to get in the way sometimes. Let's hope they are able to weather the storm.

Hey Gene, thanks for reviewing. I put you through a lot of angst, so I want you to be able to enjoy the romance, love and sharing. Such nice words to hear. As Kendall says, mom and pop are very special people. Kendall have gone through a lot to get where they are now, so they should be able to handle what comes their way...Thanks, again, Gene, much appreciated...Cheers
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 02/24/2015 12:02 PM, Gene63 said:
Oh my...the boys can give as good as they get!!! I LOVE Mike's parents!!! Everyone should have such loving and caring parents as them.

 

I love the romance, the love, and the sharing that goes on with Kendall and Mike. They truly are meant for each other. I know that it can't all be smooth sailing and real life is going to get in the way sometimes. Let's hope they are able to weather the storm.

Hey Gene, thanks for reviewing. I put you through a lot of angst, so I want you to be able to enjoy the romance, love and sharing. Such nice words to hear. As Kendall says, mom and pop are very special people. Kendall have gone through a lot to get where they are now, so they should be able to handle what comes their way...Thanks, again, Gene, much appreciated...Cheers
Link to comment
On 02/24/2015 12:23 PM, LitLover said:
Mr and Mrs Ace are hilarious! I love how they teased the boys, letting them know their relationship is not just accepted but is encouraged in their home. Go Mr Ace! You move that furniture! Lol. I was so sad for Chet. He seems so lonely. I hope he finds someone. Maybe Jeremy? :o

 

K and M are so in love and it's great to see them interacting as lovers and best friends, with the joking and the innuendo. They are so sweet together. I love that K assured M that he is number one, no matter what and that Chet would accept them as a couple or wouldn't be around them. I think that took away any speck of jealousy or doubt the M would have had. I am curious to see what happens when K comes out to his parents. I'm concerned it's going to hurt Kendall, but he at least has Michael at his side.

Another great review, Lit!.I loved the whole family dynamic they have. My favorite family scene was them standing at the window talking as the boys drove away.We get to know more about these wonderful people.Kendall has learned quickly from past errors, as they both work hard to be the best partners they can be. I wish there were more men out there like them :). There are already issues with Kendall's parents so adding gay on top could be a problem. But you are right, they have each other no matter what. Chet breaks my heart. I understand him so well. what he wants shouldn't be hard to come by, but it is. K and M are two of the lucky ones. I'll see what I can do for Chet :)Thanks, Lit...Cheers
Link to comment

I love Mr and Mrs Ace, what a great couple! Awesome role models for K&M. And they care so much for their sons.

Poor Chet. No love for him. I hope he doesn't toss aside Kendall's friendship

Link to comment
On 02/24/2015 01:48 PM, Bucket1 said:
I love Mr and Mrs Ace, what a great couple! Awesome role models for K&M. And they care so much for their sons.

Poor Chet. No love for him. I hope he doesn't toss aside Kendall's friendship

Thanks for the review, Bucket. Now we can see why Michael is the way he is. the whole family is irrepressible. I care a great deal for Chet... he is a really great guy so who knows? I don't think he is the type to toss a good friendship aside. I think he just needed to digest the news. I think the Acetos look upon Kendall, not just as their new son, but also as the man that may have saved their other son. Cheers, my friend...
Link to comment

Such an amazing breakfast they had with mom and pop! The two Michaels are so similar in outlook their banter was hilarious. And it was so great that Kendall felt it was right to give them attitude back with the moving furniture comment. :)

When they talked about talking to Chet, and then the possibility of kendall going to see him alone, I felt a twinge of worry--not because it could make Michael feel bad, but because Kendall's answer made me think of the common pitfall so many couples fall into: giving up every scrap of their own will to the other. New romances turn into 'what do you want to do?' 'I want to do what you want' ad nauseum. I could see it getting old very quickly--just make a fucking decision already. :) People seem to think that they have to completely subsume themselves into their partner for it to be true love--completely forgetting that it's the differences which make exploring one another exciting. Is this why so many marriages and romances break up in a year or two?

 

The hardest thing is when the reasons for both courses of action are valid--what happens then? In the case of Chet, I'd do as Michael suggested: Kendall sees him first to draw him into their circle the easiest way, whereas both of them doing it might make Chet see it as an either/or proposition he must make right then. Michael and Kendall are secure in their love for one another, so keeping some form of independent identity shouldn't be a threat.

 

Just an opinion, and by no means a criticism of what is going on...the interaction of these two is sappy and romantic in a good way, and I think they both are probably strong enough not to melt down into an undifferentiated mass of goo like many couples do before congealing and shattering with time. :)

 

Perhaps Chet should be introduced to Jeremy is it--Kendall's assistant? He is the single one, right?

Link to comment

I feel like I never ever want to hear any more about the Aceto love lives. Lordy :rolleyes: And what a way to let Kendall know he's welcome to... express himself :facepalm: But I guess we do know now where Michael gets his looniness from, huh? And Kendall seems to treasure them all, so... I guess he's got more steel in his spine than me :lol:

I really liked the part where Kendall asked if they were being too sappy... it's a valid concern after all these years of seeing Michael go through people! And Michael rose to the challenge like a true Aceto :*)

Link to comment

The couple of days of being in L-O-V-E have been so sweet and romantic and hot for the boys that it's almost too perfect, ad nauseam, like ColumbusGuy commented earlier. Michael's parents are wonderful (Kendall's comment on "moving furniture" was priceless!) but somehow I'm looking forward to the scenes where Kendall and Michael have to cope with less supportive reactions. I'm really curious about Kendall's family, there's hardly been a word about them. And the boys are going to come out as a couple to all their friends, colleagues and even confront Lanny and Candy sometime.

Oh, and poor Chet, he seems such a lovely guy.

Link to comment

1. Can Colleen come over and cook me breakfast? I'm HUNGRY! I should not read stories so early in the morning.

2. And tell them yes, they're both being sappy! LOL

Link to comment

Your inner romantic is oozing throughout this chapter. Of course the guys are being sappy ... it's typical of new love. Eventually real life will modify that, the love and affection will remain but the treaclly sweet not so much.

I feel for Chet. I hope that the three guys are able to form a lasting friendship and that in time he finds someone ... make him happy too Gary, please.

 

"sleepy-sexy" ... like that image.

Link to comment

Kendall and Michael are quite the pair aren't they. Stupidly in love, funny, goofy, and yes oh so sappy. Good stuff. It's nice to see the interaction with the parents. That kind of no holds barred acceptance and love is amazing. These guys seem to have it good. Chet on the other hand, I felt his pain. He is such a sweet guy can he get his own story?

Link to comment

I think Chet can be a great friend to both of them, and I want Michael to appreciate him as much as Kendall does. And I'm pretty sure Ace will cheer Chet up with all his crazy banter. Plus I want Chet to have two good friends and maybe even be introduced to the warmth of the Aceto senior household. Perhaps Michael has a couple of gay cops as work mates WHO he could introduce to Chet. :)

Surely they have joint friends and perhaps also older friends from before they met. When do we get to meet them and see their reaction? And why has noone from the hockey teams called or texted to ask about Michael's injury? Or maybe they have, but the boys have been too absorbed in their new relationship to spare any attention to their surroundings. Their priority is good: each other, then family, then friends - starting with Chet, and I guess work colleagues as needed.

Yes, I certainly cannot see this story ending anytime soon. :lol:

Link to comment
On 02/24/2015 03:58 PM, ColumbusGuy said:
Such an amazing breakfast they had with mom and pop! The two Michaels are so similar in outlook their banter was hilarious. And it was so great that Kendall felt it was right to give them attitude back with the moving furniture comment. :)

When they talked about talking to Chet, and then the possibility of kendall going to see him alone, I felt a twinge of worry--not because it could make Michael feel bad, but because Kendall's answer made me think of the common pitfall so many couples fall into: giving up every scrap of their own will to the other. New romances turn into 'what do you want to do?' 'I want to do what you want' ad nauseum. I could see it getting old very quickly--just make a fucking decision already. :) People seem to think that they have to completely subsume themselves into their partner for it to be true love--completely forgetting that it's the differences which make exploring one another exciting. Is this why so many marriages and romances break up in a year or two?

 

The hardest thing is when the reasons for both courses of action are valid--what happens then? In the case of Chet, I'd do as Michael suggested: Kendall sees him first to draw him into their circle the easiest way, whereas both of them doing it might make Chet see it as an either/or proposition he must make right then. Michael and Kendall are secure in their love for one another, so keeping some form of independent identity shouldn't be a threat.

 

Just an opinion, and by no means a criticism of what is going on...the interaction of these two is sappy and romantic in a good way, and I think they both are probably strong enough not to melt down into an undifferentiated mass of goo like many couples do before congealing and shattering with time. :)

 

Perhaps Chet should be introduced to Jeremy is it--Kendall's assistant? He is the single one, right?

Hey Buddy. Thanks for another wonderful review. you always put a lot of thought in what you have to say. I made some choices in this chapter about honesty and self doubts. These two are unique in that they have been in a relationship for over four years but now there is a new dimension. Are both trying hard? yes! But they only got together as a couple on Saturday and this is only Tuesday. I felt they needed to talk about where they stood... it's been a long time coming. Yeah they are falling all over each other to put each other first, but the Chet thing is IMHO a little more straight forward. They asked him to coffee... he said no... they will ask again...the point of asking was for him to meet Michael...It is not about losing yourself in another person at all... it is about the dynamic of a friendship. I showed the reader what Chet was feeling and that he just needed that bit of time to revisit the loneliness he has been feeling since Ian. He intends to call the next day to set something up.Trust me that, while not afraid to show their feelings and be 'sappy' these are two very strong guys who are 3-4 days into their new relationship. I enjoyed the breakfast scene as well... they are a unique family... Thanks for the well thought out review, CG... much appreciated and much respect...Cheers
Link to comment
On 02/24/2015 06:40 PM, Irritable1 said:
I feel like I never ever want to hear any more about the Aceto love lives. Lordy :rolleyes: And what a way to let Kendall know he's welcome to... express himself :facepalm: But I guess we do know now where Michael gets his looniness from, huh? And Kendall seems to treasure them all, so... I guess he's got more steel in his spine than me :lol:

I really liked the part where Kendall asked if they were being too sappy... it's a valid concern after all these years of seeing Michael go through people! And Michael rose to the challenge like a true Aceto :*)

LOL Their approach is definitely unique. Their openness is so refreshing to Kendall.. they threw him for a loop but he has known them for a long time and he thrives in this environment. Can you imagine a family doing that to someone they just met lol. Thanks for liking the part about Kendall's concerns for what M brought out in him... it is kind of shocking for him to be out of control with his emotions. He repressed them for so long and now, thanks to Michael's reassurance , he no longer needs to.For me, this is a very real thing, this overwhelming surge of emotions, and the uncertainty you have when they bombard you. For me it was the most important part of the chapter. Thanks for another great and honest review, Irri...Cheers
Link to comment
On 02/24/2015 07:13 PM, Kalandor said:
The couple of days of being in L-O-V-E have been so sweet and romantic and hot for the boys that it's almost too perfect, ad nauseam, like ColumbusGuy commented earlier. Michael's parents are wonderful (Kendall's comment on "moving furniture" was priceless!) but somehow I'm looking forward to the scenes where Kendall and Michael have to cope with less supportive reactions. I'm really curious about Kendall's family, there's hardly been a word about them. And the boys are going to come out as a couple to all their friends, colleagues and even confront Lanny and Candy sometime.

Oh, and poor Chet, he seems such a lovely guy.

Hey, Kalandor...Thanks for reviewing, it really helps me. The guys have waited a long time for this and the last three days are their reward to each other. K is used to hiding his feelings and M never really had strong feelings for the women in his past. They are in totally new territory, but because they have a long history of friendship there is a trust there to be honest and that is what I tried to show here. Neither is afraid to express themselves, even though it is alien to them. I love the Acetos and the way they look at life. they are a family that accepts and loves. I am doing a slow reveal of K's family because they are not a focus as yet, but you will learn about them. Also, you can trust that Michael and Kendall will hide from no one. Lanny may soon make an appearance. Chet is awesome... hard to believe a guy like that would be lonely, but that is often the way of the world... there is hope for him. Great review, Kalandor. Thanks and cheers...
Link to comment
On 02/24/2015 10:23 PM, Carlos Hazday said:
1. Can Colleen come over and cook me breakfast? I'm HUNGRY! I should not read stories so early in the morning.

2. And tell them yes, they're both being sappy! LOL

Carlos! I haven't eaten yet, so I get Colleen first... then you can have here and her little Irish giggle lol. Yes, they are over the top sappy, and they love it! :) I think they deserve this after all the angst to get here.I love how Michael set Kendall straight about "lovey-dovey". Young love is a beautiful thing... hell, any love is a beautiful thing...thanks for the review, Carlos... Cheers
Link to comment
On 02/24/2015 11:35 PM, dughlas said:
Your inner romantic is oozing throughout this chapter. Of course the guys are being sappy ... it's typical of new love. Eventually real life will modify that, the love and affection will remain but the treaclly sweet not so much.

I feel for Chet. I hope that the three guys are able to form a lasting friendship and that in time he finds someone ... make him happy too Gary, please.

 

"sleepy-sexy" ... like that image.

Thanks Dugh! "sleepy-sexy" is special to me... glad you liked it. You're right, Dugh. I had to feed my inner romantic lol. New love, as you say, is an overwhelming barrage of emotions, the primary one being love. While it will modify, I hope they never lose it. HEA can exist and this is a relationship that took the long way and may never have happened but for circumstance, so I would say both men count their blessings in this regard. A lovely review, dugh...thank you... and cheers
Link to comment
On 02/25/2015 01:12 AM, Defiance19 said:
Kendall and Michael are quite the pair aren't they. Stupidly in love, funny, goofy, and yes oh so sappy. Good stuff. It's nice to see the interaction with the parents. That kind of no holds barred acceptance and love is amazing. These guys seem to have it good. Chet on the other hand, I felt his pain. He is such a sweet guy can he get his own story?
Hey Defiance. You just summed these guys up perfectly! Parents like the Acetos, do exist. We just don't hear about them too often. I wanted to show that it isn't enough that gay people are 'accepted'... as long as they keep the 'gay stuff' to themselves. Why should that be enough. In the Aceto family that is not the way of things, so God love them. A message for you and dughlas both... don't worry too much about Chet... I will take care of him at some point :) Cheers and thanks for a wonderful review
Link to comment
On 02/25/2015 02:58 AM, Timothy M. said:
I think Chet can be a great friend to both of them, and I want Michael to appreciate him as much as Kendall does. And I'm pretty sure Ace will cheer Chet up with all his crazy banter. Plus I want Chet to have two good friends and maybe even be introduced to the warmth of the Aceto senior household. Perhaps Michael has a couple of gay cops as work mates WHO he could introduce to Chet. :)

Surely they have joint friends and perhaps also older friends from before they met. When do we get to meet them and see their reaction? And why has noone from the hockey teams called or texted to ask about Michael's injury? Or maybe they have, but the boys have been too absorbed in their new relationship to spare any attention to their surroundings. Their priority is good: each other, then family, then friends - starting with Chet, and I guess work colleagues as needed.

Yes, I certainly cannot see this story ending anytime soon. :lol:

Hey Tim! Thanks for the review. I just love how much readers care about Chet. I think we all want him to be happy. I WILL take care of him at some point. Hockey is a part of life in Canada, and injuries are a part of hockey... most hockey players suffer injuries in a season. Michael never made any close friends on his new team, but because of the hockey grapevine, EVERYONE will know what is going on. At some point when he is more mobile, he will visit the team... that is expected. This is a men's league, where everyone has jobs and families. I'm glad you like their priorities... they are pretty wrapped up in each other right now, and kind of limited as to where they can go and what they can do. So, you think the story should keep going, eh? Thanks, Tim, for the review and your enthusiasm... it helps keep me going... cheers, my friend
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Michael's parents are a hoot. Teasing the guys was pretty funny. I wonder what you're doing with Chet. He seems a bit more of a character than i thought he'd be. Hmmm... interesting. Great job. :)

Link to comment
On 02/25/2015 07:03 AM, Cole Matthews said:
Michael's parents are a hoot. Teasing the guys was pretty funny. I wonder what you're doing with Chet. He seems a bit more of a character than i thought he'd be. Hmmm... interesting. Great job. :)
Hey Cole, thanks for visiting. Meeting Michael's parents lets us understand M's sense of humor...the teasing was for the purpose of making a loving point to their boys... Chet seems to be quite popular right now and that makes me happy...we'll see what my plans are... eventually. Thanks for the review, Cole...cheers
Link to comment

Omg, Mom and Pop are too funny! They heard everything! And Pop with the 'Oh my Gods', and Kendall being all holy and religious - shit that was funny! :D

 

And Kendall gave it right back to them! Good for them! And then M&P head to the bedroom to rearrange ALL the furniture! It's great to see them getting along so well after all these years. You don't often read about the parents in these stories and I'm so glad to hear about their love for each other. Jealous too, but happy for them. :lol:

 

I do think you need to find Chet somebody. I can tell he can be a great friend to Kendall (and maybe eventually Ace too), but he's so sad and lonely - my heart's breaking for him. :(

Link to comment
On 02/25/2015 11:45 AM, Lisa said:
Omg, Mom and Pop are too funny! They heard everything! And Pop with the 'Oh my Gods', and Kendall being all holy and religious - shit that was funny! :D

 

And Kendall gave it right back to them! Good for them! And then M&P head to the bedroom to rearrange ALL the furniture! It's great to see them getting along so well after all these years. You don't often read about the parents in these stories and I'm so glad to hear about their love for each other. Jealous too, but happy for them. :lol:

 

I do think you need to find Chet somebody. I can tell he can be a great friend to Kendall (and maybe eventually Ace too), but he's so sad and lonely - my heart's breaking for him. :(

LOL Thanks Lisa.Glad you liked the exchange. They are amazing people and Kendall got what they were doing right away. Don't worry about Chet too much... my heart breaks for him too. I'll try to take care of him. Thanks for another wonderful review, Lisa...cheers
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..