Jump to content
    Headstall
  • Author
  • 6,097 Words
  • 9,298 Views
  • 38 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cards on the Table - 24. Chapter 24 Winning Streak

Good luck, bad luck.

Cards on the Table

 

 

Chapter 24

 

 

Kendall woke first, his eyes peering into the near-darkness of a very early dawn. Michael’s face was nuzzled into his shoulder, his slow breathing sending a comforting rhythm of warm air floating into Kendall’s side. The gentle and possessive grip on his bicep exhibited Michael’s need for constant contact while they slept, and it was cherished by the man who understood that exact need. From their first night together, Kendall had never once awoken when he wasn’t in contact with his partner.

His thoughts drifted to the previous day, and in spite of some issues that had arisen between him and Michael, Kendall felt happy and secure. This new thing they had, this total commitment to one another, changed some things, but it didn’t change the history they’d built as friends, and the understanding of each other that came with it. Sometimes it did feel like it was all too good to be true, and Kendall was aware of his tendency to worry, but he'd been reassured they were on the right track; that was good enough for him. He had no doubt Michael would take their promise to be careful as seriously as Kendall did. For his part, Kendall would do his best to convince Michael to fully let go of his ridiculous guilt.

His attention turned to the day ahead while he lay there enjoying the feel and sound of Michael snuggling up against him. The only item on their agenda so far, was Michael’s appointment with the physiotherapist at eleven, and Kendall expected that would go well.

The last couple of weeks had been a real test of Kendall’s mettle as a person. He’d watched with skepticism as his broken family slowly began to mend, and thanked God once again for the supportive partner who got him through the sometimes monumental hurdles of it. After all of the emotional ups and downs, including yesterday’s, he found himself craving some normalcy. It seeped into his mind the best way to achieve that would be a return to work, a place he’d always turned to as a calming, yet challenging refuge in the past. He missed it, and in this moment, felt like he needed it. He had been at Michael’s side since Lanny’s vicious attack on his knee, and as strange as it felt to contemplate separation from his partner after all this time together, he knew going in for a few hours would do him good.

Maybe it would benefit Michael to have some time to himself as well. Their uninterrupted time with each other had been a blessing despite the reason for it, but the real world would be demanding more and more of its share. He’d told his boss he would likely go in on Wednesday anyway, so this sudden urge to check in a day earlier seemed right… a mental diversion of sorts that would begin the immersion back into a more balanced and inevitable world.

Arriving at a decision, he wondered if he’d be able to disengage himself from a soundly sleeping Michael without waking him. He had to force himself to start the process, not really wanting to break away from the addictive warmth. Carefully removing his arm from Michael’s grip, he kissed his hand gently before sliding out of their toasty bed into the cool air. Michael groaned in his sleep and reached for his lover, bringing a smile to Kendall’s lips. “Go back to sleep, Sunshine,” was softly whispered, and Michael sighed in contentment at the sound of Kendall’s voice as he burrowed into the warm pillow he left behind, pulling it close.

Showering alone felt strange, and it hit Kendall just how joined at the hip they had been. One thing he was certain of, though; there wasn’t a moment when he would’ve had it any other way. Having the luxury of Michael’s constant presence at his side was something he felt they both had needed after all they’d endured to find each other. It had allowed them to adapt more easily as they transitioned from best friends… to lovers who were best friends.

The constant internal fretting over Michael’s knee had diminished greatly over the last few days, so a couple of hours away wouldn’t bother him too much, and he had to work on that over-protective tendency of his anyway. As quietly as possible, he got dressed, expecting Michael to wake at any moment. He kept glancing at the sleeping man as the escalating dawn began to infiltrate the bedroom, and smiled to think of how well he'd tired his enthusiastic lover out the night before. The man was insatiable, and his devotion to Kendall was not to be denied, which suited his partner just fine.

Leaving a note as to his whereabouts, and promising breakfast delivery when he returned, Kendall was relieved when he slipped out the door apparently unheard by Michael. With a little luck he would sleep a good while longer.

  

The familiarity of entering the luxurious building housing his office, was stimulating. Something lifted as Kendall walked in… a pressure he hadn’t consciously felt. As expected, Gus was at his usual spot on the front desk, and a brief flicker of surprise showed on his face at seeing his boss.

“Good morning, Gus. Good to see you. Everything ship-shape this morning?”

“Good morning, Captain Dooley. It’s great to have you back, Sir. Everything is as it should be. Jeremy just arrived, and is in his office, and all the shift reports so far, have been uneventful. Jeremy has those.” Gus hesitated before continuing. “If I may ask, Sir, is your family, ah, your father… is he okay?”

Personal questions were usually frowned upon, but this was Gus, who’d been with Kendall from the beginning. “Yes, my family is doing quite well now. We had a great trip to Calgary, all things considered. It’s early yet, but it looks like my dad has beaten his cancer. The doctors are pretty sure they removed all of it. He still has Chemo and Radiation ahead of him, but the prognosis is very good. Thanks for asking, Gus. Can you buzz Jeremy and ask him to meet me in my office in about fifteen minutes for a briefing?” With a friendly smile, Kendall headed to his office, his place of solitude from the world when his life was filled with an aching loneliness. It was here he’d applied himself with such vigor and determination in order to temporarily escape the realities of his life. He was no longer that tormented guy. Against all conceivable odds, he had the man of his dreams, and even had his own family back.

It hadn’t taken Kendall long to get completely immersed in the detailed reports he found in a neat pile on his desk. So far, it appeared every complaint and request of the residents had been handled correctly, and with diplomacy. It was a relief to Kendall because, in the end, they were the bread and butter of the company he worked for. Vandalism on one car parked in the visitor’s lot, resulting in a broken side-mirror, took his thoughts briefly to the word on Michael’s truck, but he shook them off right away; there was no need to dwell on that ignorant intrusion into their lives. He was startled out of his intense concentration by Jeremy’s knock on his door. Looking at the clock, he noted it had been exactly fifteen minutes since he entered his office. Setting another one of the already examined reports on the new, smaller pile he’d created, he called for Jeremy to come in.

“Hey, Boss, welcome back. I hope everything went okay in Calgary,” Jeremy said hesitantly, nervous concern on his face as he took the seat opposite Kendall.

“Thanks, Jeremy. As a matter of fact, we had the best outcome possible. We ended up having a good visit, considering my dad’s illness, and the doctors are saying they believe he has a great chance of beating the cancer completely. It turned out a lot better than we were first told,” Kendall could see the worry lift from his second in command, and he was touched.

“That’s great news, Captain. I have to say we missed you around here, but everyone pulled their weight. They all worked together as a team in your absence. I think we were all worried about what you were going through,” he said softly, and Kendall was touched again.

“I appreciate that, Jere. We stopped in at head office on the way back, and I heard nothing but good things about the job you and all the team did. They were impressed to say the least. Thanks for making me look so good,” he grinned at his right-hand man.

“It’s all that damn training you put us through,” Jeremy said with a smirk. “Every one of us knows what to do in any situation, so I think we could say you made us look good.”

“Yeah, you’re probably right,” he joked, and Jeremy joined him in laughter. “So is there anything I need to be filled in on?”

“No, Sir, I drew up detailed reports of every incident, but there is nothing in the way of problems or unresolved issues,” Jeremy looked proud when he said this. “Can I ask you, Captain, how Michael is doing?” It was another personal kind of question, but Kendall didn’t mind. It didn’t escape his notice though, he was letting some walls down; it felt right. He done the same with Gus, earlier.

“He’s doing way better than expected. I’m taking him in for physiotherapy at 11am today, so I won’t be here long.” He gave Jeremy a measured look before continuing. “I’ve made some changes to my own personal information on file here you need to know about. In case of emergency, Michael is my new contact. You’d call him first if something was to happen to me. He replaces Colleen Aceto. Since you have access to my files, you’ll see he’s now listed as my common-law partner.” It was surprisingly easy for Kendall to say those words, feeling pride at the disclosure. He knew then and there, he’d have no trouble telling anyone. He stared at his assistant, waiting for his reaction.

He didn’t have to wait long as a huge grin exploded across Jeremy’s handsome face. “That is so freaking cool, Captain. Congratulations!” He leaned over the desk and shook Kendall’s hand vigorously. “You know, I always had a feeling you two, well…,” Jeremy looked embarrassed before regaining his composure. “So when did this happen, I mean, if you don’t mind me asking?”

Kendall found Jeremy’s reaction amusing, and he smiled to let him know to relax. “Well if you must know,” he teased, “It happened the night Michael injured his knee. And what do you mean, you always had a feeling?”

“Sorry, Captain, I probably shouldn’t have said that… but whenever I saw you two together, there always seemed like there was something special between you. I’m glad it worked out for you guys… you’re both very lucky.” He sighed wistfully.

Kendall noticed the yearning in that sigh. “I’m surprised to hear you say that, but I guess I can’t complain because I always stressed for you be observant,” he chuckled ruefully. “I just didn’t think it would be obvious to people. It sure as hell wasn’t obvious to us,” he confessed, “and it’s not like you saw us together all that often?” Kendall was curious. Yup, walls were coming down.

“Um, I don’t think it would have been noticeable to anyone else, Captain, it’s just that I sort of had a crush on you for a while, and my gaydar works pretty well.” Jeremy’s face had turned a bright red, and he sat there looking downward.

“You had a crush on me? So you’re gay?”

“Yes, and yes, but don’t worry. I got over it. Ah, the crush, not the gay part.”

Kendall found his comment really funny, and started laughing while a relieved Jeremy joined him. When he calmed down, he gave Jeremy a smirk and said, “That was priceless… Michael is going to love it.”

“Oh crap, please don’t tell Michael about the crush part. I don’t want that big bruiser coming after me.” The look on Jeremy’s face made Kendall laugh again.

“I let you in on a little secret… that big bruiser is a little pussycat.” He smiled at his assistant. “So I should get started on the new schedule while I’m here. Are there any personnel issues I need to know about before I get started?”

“Not exactly, Boss, there are no issues… I hope you don’t mind, but I already drew up the new schedule. I don’t want you to think I overstepped, but I thought I’d give it a try to see if I could do it.” He squirmed a little in his seat.

“That’s not overstepping at all. It’s showing initiative, and I’m proud of you for making the attempt. I’m sure it’s fine, but I’ll need to go over it this first time.”

Jeremy glowed at Kendall’s mention of ‘this first time’. “I have it completed, and I think I have everything covered so I’ll email it to you right away, Captain.”

“Sounds good. You do that and I’ll check it over later at home. There’s no reason for me to stick around much longer, since you already took care of what I’d planned to work on. Thanks for jumping in and taking the bull by the horns, Jere. You’ve certainly proved yourself, to me and the company, and you've done a great job.” Kendall’s praise had Jeremy beaming. “I can finish going through these reports tomorrow. Michael should be wanting his breakfast soon anyway."

“Home to the ball and chain, huh?”

Kendall laughed. “Michael’s gonna love that one too.”

Jeremy’s face fell as he said, “Shit,” his reaction getting another chuckle from Kendall. “And once again, Captain, congratulations. I’m really happy for the both of you. It’s not easy to find the right one out there.”

Kendall studied Jeremy’s countenance and saw some pain there. “No luck for you, I take it?”

“I’ve had lots of luck… the problem is it’s all been bad.” Trying to be upbeat, he said, “At least I’ve figured out what I don’t want. I don’t think I can handle another disappointment,” he trailed off. “I’ll get back to my office and email you the schedule now, if you don’t need me for anything more?”

Kendall felt Jeremy’s reluctance to continue the personal conversation. “No, that’s all for now. Thanks; I’ll see you tomorrow morning.”

“Great to have you back, Boss.”

“It’s good to be back.” Kendall still felt the sadness that had momentarily permeated the room. It was the most personal conversation he’d ever had with Jeremy, and it left him wanting to make it better for his right-hand man. He could picture Michael rolling his eyes, and that made him smile. He was glad he’d made the decision to come in.

 

A quick stop at The Coffee Emporium set Kendall up with their favorite Kona blend extra-large coffees, and four of the buttered cheese and bacon tea biscuits they both loved. The promised breakfast taken care of, Kendall headed for home, recognizing how much he needed his good morning kiss from Michael. He’d only been gone about two hours and he already missed his big guy.

Telling Jeremy about Michael had been liberating. Calling the man his partner was something he never thought he’d have the privilege to do, and he felt a satisfaction that was deep and solid. He’d always gotten a vibe from Jeremy, which made him wonder if he indeed had some sort of gaydar. The news of the crush hadn’t really surprised him, but finding out the always cheery Jeremy was personally unhappy, did. His inherent need to help people was at odds with his philosophy of keeping his work and personal life separate. Maybe it was time to reconsider the distance he kept from his staff. He’d found it easy to be more forthcoming than usual today. In Jeremy’s case, he was management as well, and Kendall knew him well enough to know he would never take advantage of any friendship extended to him. It wouldn’t change his professionalism. Maybe he would be a good match for Chet, if he and Arron didn’t click.

Kendall was quiet as he opened the door to their apartment, but there turned out to be no need.

Michael was sitting at the kitchen counter, staring at the door, waiting for him. His face broke into a smile at the sight of his partner. “Hey, Babe, I missed you.”

Kendall grinned at him. “I know the feeling, Sunshine.” He set the coffee and tea biscuits on the counter. “Your breakfast, sir, as promised.”

“That’s not what I’ve been waiting for,” Michael said as he stood up and pulled Kendall in for a hug, inhaling deeply against his neck. “Now, all is right with my world, Babe,” he whispered into his partner’s ear. What followed was pretty intense for a good morning kiss.

A little aroused, Kendall bestowed a wickedly sexy smile on his man. “I should go out more often, if that’s gonna be my welcome back.”

Michael gave him a playful one in return, before he got serious. “It was weird to wake up without you. I heard the door click when you left, and I wanted to run after you for my kiss.” He blushed. “Pathetic, huh?”

Kendall could see a vulnerability in Michael at his admission. “No, it’s not pathetic. You’re telling me exactly what I want to hear. It felt really weird for me too, you know, especially showering by myself. I’d forgotten what it was like without you in there with me,” Kendall was blushing a little bit now, too.

“I guess we’re gonna have to get used to being apart again. We’ll both be back to working full-time soon, from the looks of things, but at least we have each other to come home to.” There was a resigned look on his handsome face that melted Kendall.

“Yup, every night it’s you and me. And every morning. I’m never going to complain about that scenario. We’ll get used to it, I promise.” His words had the desired effect, and Michael visibly relaxed. Looking at Michael’s damp hair and still tasting the minty toothpaste from the heated kiss, he asked Michael a question to change the subject, now that he seemed more like himself, “Are you all ready for your appointment?”

“Yup. I’m fresh as a daisy. Wanna smell me?”

“I already did, and you smell exactly like this guy I love.” Those words got him one of those adorable goofy grins.

“So how did work go? You weren’t gone very long.”

“Hah, well, long enough to find out Jeremy’s gay and had a crush on me, oh ball and chain of mine,” Kendall started to laugh at Michael’s expression.

“He has a crush on you?!”

“Had, Sunshine, had,” Kendall laughed harder at the fact Michael’s prime focus was the crush. “Let’s eat and I’ll tell you all about it.”

“I definitely want to hear about this, and did you just call me your ball and chain?”

“Yes, I did, big guy.”

 

The therapist was suitably impressed. He insisted Michael must have some magical healing powers, and Michael gave all the credit to the anxious-looking man hovering at his side. “This guy here is my lucky charm,” Michael told him, while looking at Kendall with adoration. His partner was reminded he’d thought the same thing about Michael when he managed to navigate Kendall and his family through some rough periods in Calgary. Those words, ‘lucky charm’, triggered a warm feeling in Kendall, though Michael was unaware of it.

The examination resulted in Michael leaving with an updated medical report for his work stating his rehabilitation was progressing well, and it was possible he may be able to return to work in a few weeks, on restricted duties. He was also now in possession of a cane to supplement the crutches. He was to use it at his discretion, and switch back to crutches before any sign of fatigue. The rather extensive exercises the physiotherapist put him through this time had been a little more grueling, but he welcomed the challenge, while Kendall tried not to show his fear. The exercises proved the knee could handle more weight, and showed the flexibility had improved. Another appointment was scheduled for the following week.

As they were making their way back to Beauty, Kendall received a sideways glance. “That was tougher on you than it was on me, wasn’t it?”

Kendall kept his head down. “I don’t know what you mean, Ace?”

“You can’t fool me. I could see the wincing when I was doing the new exercises. You were scared I was going to hurt myself, weren’t you?”

Kendall sighed in defeat as he raised his head. “I’m sorry, Michael. It’s me that’s being pathetic. I’m trying really hard not to be that annoying worrier. I mean, I know the physiotherapist knows what he’s doing, so I don’t know what my problem is? Old habits die hard, I guess.” He wore a sheepish look.

“God, Kendall, don’t you dare apologize for worrying about me. I was just razzing you. It feels great, knowing that you’re always looking out for me, and I will keep telling you this until you finally get it. I like how you worry about me. I know it’s because you love me, and I have to confess I worry about you too… every time you’re out of my sight. I even got a little nervous when you left for work this morning, so that should tell you we aren’t so different. He reached over and pulled Kendall close to him in the middle of the parking lot, reinforcing his words. “If we’re pathetic, we’ll be pathetic together, okay?”

“Okay, message received. Thanks for always getting me.”

“I’ve got you, and I will always get you… you’re my other half, Babe.”

“Damn right I am, and you’re mine, Sunshine.”

 

They were back in Beauty, leaving 51 Division, after dropping off Michael’s medical report. “I called Mom and Dad this morning.”

“And?”

“Mom’s making meatloaf today.”

“Say no more. Do we need anything from the apartment?”

“Nah, I got everything we need in my knapsack.”

“How did you know I’d want to go for a visit?” he teased with a raised eyebrow.

“Meatloaf, Babe,” Michael smirked, and Kendall laughed.

“You know me so well.”

“Yes, I do.”

 

A lot had changed since their previous visit with his mom and pop. The last time Michael had to be carried, and it was followed by telling the Acetos they were a couple. This time he could get up the steps with only a little cautionary help from Kendall, and Kendall felt pride in getting him this far, this quickly. He could see Colleen approved. As welcomed as he had always been, this time it felt just a little bit different. He was greeted as a true son this time, Michael’s life partner, and it gave him an even better sense of belonging. As much as he was a ‘Dooley’, he was also an ‘Aceto’. He found himself eager to share news of his own family with Mom and Pop, something he never thought he’d want to intentionally bring up, with them or anyone else. Everything in his life was changing for the better. Colleen had a saying she repeated many times about ‘all things come to those who wait’. Typical of Colleen, it turned out she was right about that too.

Mom’s hug was every bit as fulfilling as it’d always been, but now it brought up the recent memory of Agnes Dooley to Kendall, which made the hug he received so much better. It was like both his moms were embracing him at once. His hug from Pop was warm and comforting although definitely more manly than Colleen’s motherly one. Kendall marveled at how Pop always made sure to be there when he knew they were coming. Family first. Everyone talked at once for the first couple of minutes, until the greetings were over. The boys allowed the smell of divine meatloaf to lead them to the kitchen table. The closer to that aroma, the better.

“My two bonnie boys have made it back home. I think I need to make meatloaf more often.”

“Hear that, Ace? I’m a ‘bonnie boy’ too now; told you I’d end up being the favorite before long.”

“Okay, you boys stop that; you know I have no favorites… you’re both my sons now.” Colleen winked at Kendall.

“Hey,” Michael whined, “I saw that. Should I be worried, here?”

That brought laughter from the rest of them, and Michael ended up grinning at Kendall.

“Would it help, bonnie boy, if I gave you the biggest piece of meatloaf?” Colleen offered, keeping the banter going.

It was Kendall’s turn to say, “Hey!”

That got a smirk from Michael, who leaned over to Kendall and gave him a soft kiss. “I believe that makes me the favorite, Babe, but you can consider yourself a close second,” he said to a smiling Kendall as he kissed him again.

“I’ll take it, Sunshine.” Kendall grabbed Michael’s hand and kissed it.

When they turned their attention back to Colleen, they could see the tears in her eyes. “Mom? Are you okay?” Michael’s question showed uncertainty, but Kendall knew right away what was going on.

“It’s just you two are so beautiful together, that’s all. It’s nice to see my boys happy, and so obviously in love.” She shared a look with her husband, whose expression showed he felt the same way. “I’m just being a silly mom,” she said, giggling. “Now, who wants to eat?”

Three men yelled “Me!” at the same time, getting another giggle out of Colleen.

The men were quiet at first, intent on the wonders of Colleen’s cooking. Eventually, sporadic talking started to take over from the shoveling of food into eager mouths as their initial hunger began to dampen down to a manageable level. Michael and Kendall took turns relaying the details of their trip to Calgary, and answering the questions being fired at them by a curious Colleen and Big Mike. It took a couple of hours, and a refill of plates before the whole experience in Calgary had been relayed. Colleen was entranced when Kendall told them about the ‘mom and pop’ part of the story, and how Michael had managed to soften the blow and get the Dooley family back on track.

“The fact is, I think they actually might like Michael better than me."

“Of course they do, Babe… why wouldn’t they?” It was another chance to tease his mate.

Colleen looked thoughtful as her boys joked with each other. “Do you think they resent us?”

“No way, Mom. Once Michael explained it to them, they understood how important you’d been to me, when I felt all alone, but that it wasn’t about replacing them. Trust me. They harbor no hard feelings towards you and Pop. It’s just the opposite. They’re happy I had you guys to lean on, and they’re more thankful than anything.”

Michael nodded his agreement at Kendall’s words. “They’re good people, Mom. Carson has changed a lot. I watched some of that change myself. It’s a struggle for him sometimes, but he is a determined man. They made some mistakes, but those years without Kendall woke them up, and they’re trying.” He grabbed and squeezed Kendall’s hand. “I think you’d really like Agnes. She’s such a sweet lady—tough too, though—and Kendall looks so much like her, it’s crazy,” he smiled as he admired his handsome partner.

“You’re right,” Kendall agreed as he returned the smile and the look, captured momentarily by the blue of Michael’s eyes, “She is tough, now, but I never saw her that way before. I always thought she wasn’t strong enough to ever stand up to Dad… but she can, and she did. She’s become the one in control of their relationship, and I don’t think my dad minds at all. I even think he may like it this way.”

“That makes a lot of sense, Deuce; I believe your dad always wanted to do things differently, but he couldn’t figure out how because of, you know, how your grandfather was with him. I think Agnes forced him to find a way, when she reached the point where she couldn’t take you not being in her life any longer… she ended up figuring it out for him, and now it’s easier for him to let her take the lead. She can keep him honest if he starts to revert.”

“Do you think he will revert?"

“Not a chance, Babe. I just meant Mom helps him with what he wants to do. Pop has fought way too hard, and you and Agnes mean the world to him. He has this new lease on life, and it’s not just because of beating the cancer. This new Carson is the real one. I’d bet the farm on it.”

“Thanks... I needed to hear that.” Kendall trusted Michael wouldn’t lie to him, and the reassurance, surrounded by his other family, helped strengthen the newly acquired faith he had in Carson and Agnes. He was smart enough to know he still might need to be reassured a few more times. Some of his memories were hard to overcome.

 

Colleen and Michael Sr. watched the conversation with interest. It was strange to hear Michael call Carson his ‘pop’, and Agnes his ‘mom’, but they understood the rightness of it. They’d had some trepidation about the trip to Calgary and how it would all turn out, but the boys were home safe and sound, and the acceptance and love they’d found with the Dooleys was a great relief. If Michael was convinced Kendall’s family had turned themselves around, then they believed it too.

“I’m so happy for you both,” Colleen gushed. “If you think Agnes would be receptive, I would love to contact her, maybe through email, so we could talk about our boys. Do you think she would be open to that, baby boy?”

“That’s a wonderful idea, Mom. I know she would love to hear from you and Pop, but if you want, I’ll email her first and let her know you want to contact her?” Kendall was very pleased at the development. He would like nothing better than to have his two moms be friends.

So it was settled that he would contact Agnes first. The conversation moved on to other things as they relaxed in the living room, digesting the fantastic and very filling meal Colleen had stuffed them with, in true motherly fashion. There was a lull in the conversation before Big Mike cleared his throat. He sat up straighter in his seat beside Colleen, looking over at her and receiving a nod.

 

“Boys, there’s something your mom and I would like to talk to you about.” As always, when Michael Sr. talked, he had their undivided attention. “Now, we don’t want to steal anyone’s thunder here, but there is something we were planning to do for you boys from the time you told us you’d finally figured things out.” Michael had seen their exchanged looks at the earlier disclosure of the fund from the Dooley's, and was quickly putting two and two together, while Kendall had no idea where this was going. “We want to help you boys financially with the house too. So as not to step on any toes, we’re going to match what Agnes and Carson are contributing. In addition we like to give you another eight thousand towards any renovations, or appliances, or furniture… as a housewarming gift.”

Kendall was stunned, while Michael was slow to react. He took a moment to decide what to say to this further gesture of love and support for Kendall and him. “We appreciate it, but are you sure about this?” His eyes held his father’s. “You just retired from General Motors not that long ago, and you have a new business to worry about.” Michael glanced over at Kendall, not entirely sure how to proceed. "I know you guys want to do this for us, and we love you for it, but there's no way we want you to jeopardize your financial stability at this stage in your lives. Carson feels he has a lot to make up for,” Kendall nodded in agreement as Michael spoke, “but you guys don’t. You paid for my education completely, and you’ve always been there for me, and for Kendall too, from the time you met him. I… we I don’t want you risking your retirement money to help us… we’ll be fine handling a house on our own. We’ve got it covered.” He put his head down in order to get control of the emotions triggered by this selfless offer from his parents.

“Michael’s right. It’s amazing that you want to help, but we can’t accept it. We appreciate it, but you’ve both done enough for us already. We’ll let you help us work on the house though, if we buy a fixer-upper,” he joked.

Colleen giggled as she looked at her husband. “I think you should tell them, honey, just how well your little business is doing.” She gave the boys a cat-that-swallowed-the-canary look.

“It’s like your mom says, boys. The business is doing better than we ever could have hoped for, and your mom and I are basically sitting pretty. Fifty-thousand dollars is a drop in the bucket to us. Now, we’re not bragging, but just so you understand, we cleared four times that the first year alone, and the last two have been much better, meaning we have no worries money-wise. This is something we want to do for our two sons. It’s not about matching what your parents are doing, Kendall… it’s about us helping you build your lives together.” Big Mike smiled at his wife as he said this. “We’ve already helped out your sister, so we’d just be keeping it even. Seriously, this is no hardship for us, and we want to do it, now that you’re ready for it.”

Michael looked at Kendall and they spoke without words. “In that case, we accept. Thank you. We had no idea your auto-parts business was working out so well. I can speak for both of us when I say we’re very proud of you. I always thought it took a lot of guts to do what you did, going after your own business, and giving up such a safe job, and now I can see it took a lot of smarts as well. You followed your dream and I’m blown away by what you just told us.” Michael locked eyes with Kendall once again. “I’m following my dream, too, and this house will be the next step… you guys are a part of our dream, so thank you.” He pulled his eyes away from his partner to look at his parents. “I have the best Mom and Dad in the world.”

“And I have the best Mom and Pop in the world. Thank you so much for everything you’ve done for me, and for us. I don’t just mean the money.” Kendall’s eyes filled with the emotion he gave up trying to control, letting a few tears fall as he looked at these wonderful people who played no small part in knocking down the roadblocks between him and their son in the first place. That by itself was more than enough to be thankful to them for. He felt truly blessed by the person beside him, and the people in front of him.

Michael pulled Kendall close and kissed the side of his head, breathing in the clean, fresh scent of his partner, as tears made their way onto his cheeks as well.

Seeing the love the two boys, their sons, had for each other was all the thanks Colleen and Big Mike needed. Four sets of happy tears made an appearance in a family that understood love and beautiful acceptance, and weren’t afraid to show it.

Many thanks to my editor, Tim, and to all those who support this story.
Please join us in the COTT forum for good conversation:
www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/39932-cards-on-the-table-by-headstall/
Copyright © 2017 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 56
  • Love 22
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Wow, Gary, this pulls all the heart-strings for a beautiful love song.

I sense Kendall brushing down his white charger to help Jeremy find someone to fill his life. I wonder if Michael and Arron know of another gay cop? :P

Seriously worth the wait, and champing at the bit for the next one already!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/25/2015 12:40 PM, ColumbusGuy said:
Wow, Gary, this pulls all the heart-strings for a beautiful love song.

I sense Kendall brushing down his white charger to help Jeremy find someone to fill his life. I wonder if Michael and Arron know of another gay cop? :P

Seriously worth the wait, and champing at the bit for the next one already!

Thank you, CG, for a lovely review. The idea of Kendall on a white charger made me laugh, but if he had one, I'm sure he'd use it to help the lovelorn LOL. His idea of Jeremy as a back-up plan for Chet... well... he's in for a surprise. As for more gay cops... who knows? Jeremy has been telling me his story in my head as I'm trying to sleep...damn him...there's no room in there...Cheers, Buddy...
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Kendall is a matchmaker at heart - but I think he only wants everyone to be as happy as he is with Michael. I'm not surprised that the Acetos would want to help the guys buy a house. They seem like generous people - emotionally and financially. I like that these two worry about each other. You can't help but worry about someone you care about. It's nice to see Kendall trying to get back to a normal life. They've had a lot going on lately so normal would be good. Looking forward to the dinner with Chet and Arron and to see if Kendall comes up with someone to set Jere up with. ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/25/2015 01:12 PM, EagleIsaac said:
Kendall is a matchmaker at heart - but I think he only wants everyone to be as happy as he is with Michael. I'm not surprised that the Acetos would want to help the guys buy a house. They seem like generous people - emotionally and financially. I like that these two worry about each other. You can't help but worry about someone you care about. It's nice to see Kendall trying to get back to a normal life. They've had a lot going on lately so normal would be good. Looking forward to the dinner with Chet and Arron and to see if Kendall comes up with someone to set Jere up with. ;)
Hey, Eagle. Thanks for the great review. It's more of the same for the Acetos...unconditional love and support...When Colleen asked if the Dooleys resented them, she was concerned about the offer they were about to make their boys. They really don't want to step on any toes which is why the broke up the 50,000 into 42,000 to match the Dooleys, and the other 8000 as a housewarming gift. I like that the boys worry about each other too. I think there's something wrong if you don't have that concern for your partner. On to the get together :) Cheers...
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Another lovely chapter, thanks for sharing! As always, interaction between the characters was very real and touching. When Kendall went to work and Gus and Jeremy were wondering I was a bit confused, thinking he already came out, then I realized it was only to his employers. Kendall has been really closed this far in public and it's wonderful to see him open up. And everyone is so supportive, I sort of wish to see them in a face-to-face conflict, though, just to see how they react and who stands up first for the other... Maybe Jeremy gets his own story like Chet and Arron?

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I'm glad to see them resuming a more normal life. It had to happen eventually. Too much time together can eventually be problematic. While they mean the world to one another they are each the half of a whole and need to maintain their individual place in the lsrger world. It's time.

They've had an enormous amount of understanding support from almost everyone, discounting a couple of viciously jealous fools and an idiot or two with too much soap on their hands. So it comes as no surprise that the Acetos also want to help them establish a home of their own.

Ah Jeremy, it was heartwarming to see the change in Kendall's attitude so deeply appreciated by someone else. Find the boy a good man Gary don't leave it all to Kendall. Then maybe he'll let you sleep. It's good to see them establishing an inner circle of close friends, A/C and J/?, I would like to see them add another ... a straight couple. They would bring another element, something we all need in our lives.

THis was another good chapter, this story continues to evolve intriguingly.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Kendall just can't help himself with Jere :*) If you are that much in love and so so happy, it only seems fair to want that for everyone else.

Getting back to a more normal life, with the usual routines (and jobs to give them the money to buy the house) is a good thing. Michael in the morning was cute cuddling the pillow that still had Kendall's warmth on it and poor Kendall had to shower alone :o What is world coming to?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/25/2015 05:12 PM, Kalandor said:
Another lovely chapter, thanks for sharing! As always, interaction between the characters was very real and touching. When Kendall went to work and Gus and Jeremy were wondering I was a bit confused, thinking he already came out, then I realized it was only to his employers. Kendall has been really closed this far in public and it's wonderful to see him open up. And everyone is so supportive, I sort of wish to see them in a face-to-face conflict, though, just to see how they react and who stands up first for the other... Maybe Jeremy gets his own story like Chet and Arron?
Thank you, Kalandor. I really appreciate your support and your wonderful reviews. Yeah, what Michael gives him, allows Kendall to open up like never before, and the way he interacted with his employees shows us that.The best thing is, despite his being closed in the past, all the guys he works with care about him. It IS time to let down the walls now. As far as Jeremy... I'm considering it, but it would mean a little break from Cards... I understand the want for conflict, but it has really been a tough haul for both of them to get where they are. Much of the conflict has been internal, but you never know what's right around the corner :) ...Cheers, and thanks again...
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/25/2015 09:16 PM, dughlas said:
I'm glad to see them resuming a more normal life. It had to happen eventually. Too much time together can eventually be problematic. While they mean the world to one another they are each the half of a whole and need to maintain their individual place in the lsrger world. It's time.

They've had an enormous amount of understanding support from almost everyone, discounting a couple of viciously jealous fools and an idiot or two with too much soap on their hands. So it comes as no surprise that the Acetos also want to help them establish a home of their own.

Ah Jeremy, it was heartwarming to see the change in Kendall's attitude so deeply appreciated by someone else. Find the boy a good man Gary don't leave it all to Kendall. Then maybe he'll let you sleep. It's good to see them establishing an inner circle of close friends, A/C and J/?, I would like to see them add another ... a straight couple. They would bring another element, something we all need in our lives.

THis was another good chapter, this story continues to evolve intriguingly.

That old adage, 'absence makes the heart grow fonder', I think comes into play here. It's time for them to resume their lives. I think it's telling that after the intense discussions of the day before, Kendall found the need to go into work. His feeling upon entering the building was a release of pressure. We need that time to decompress, especially a nurturer like Kendall whose focus is always on his partner. As far as Finding Jeremy a good man, he may end up leaving me no choice. I'm glad you think of the story as evolving. I do worry sometimes that the cerebral part of working through the details of building a relationship can be less interesting, but to skip those aspects and developments seems wrong. I find the intricacies of mentally 'getting there' intriguing. The 'little things' often speak volumes to me and I think you are similar in that regard... Thanks for a terrific review, dugh... Cheers...
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/25/2015 11:40 PM, Bucket1 said:
Kendall just can't help himself with Jere :*) If you are that much in love and so so happy, it only seems fair to want that for everyone else.

Getting back to a more normal life, with the usual routines (and jobs to give them the money to buy the house) is a good thing. Michael in the morning was cute cuddling the pillow that still had Kendall's warmth on it and poor Kendall had to shower alone :o What is world coming to?

LOL. I loved how K pictured M rolling his eyes when he thought about helping Jeremy be happy. The pillow thing...I do that :) . Showering alone was a real shock to poor Kendall...but he did it. I think he gets that they need their time apart. The scene in the kitchen with Michael, where he reassured Michael, put it all in perspective. It's all good. Thanks for a great review, Bucket... Cheers...
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Thank you Gary! You, Michael and Kendall really made my Monday :) It warms the heart to hear about previous playboy, probably never "slept" with someone Michael being such a snuggle bunny :*) I love how Mrs. Ace was so worried about insulting or stepping on the Dooley's toes. Mr and Mrs. Ace has such big hearts, and I don't even mean the money they want to give M & K for their home. At this rate M & K are going to be able to afford a fantastic place (although I can't see them wanting anything ostentatious. It's just not them). I hope you can find someone for Jere. The thought of him unhappy, when M & K and C & A are so happy makes me sad for him. Whether you do another spin-off or just a few mentions in CoTT, I think it would be great if Jere found his forever guy too.

It's nice to see Kendall going out and trying to restore some normal into his life. I agree that being joined at the hip can be fun for a little while, but in order to be a truly happy couple you should be able to be happy separately as well as together.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/26/2015 04:17 AM, LitLover said:
Thank you Gary! You, Michael and Kendall really made my Monday :) It warms the heart to hear about previous playboy, probably never "slept" with someone Michael being such a snuggle bunny :*) I love how Mrs. Ace was so worried about insulting or stepping on the Dooley's toes. Mr and Mrs. Ace has such big hearts, and I don't even mean the money they want to give M & K for their home. At this rate M & K are going to be able to afford a fantastic place (although I can't see them wanting anything ostentatious. It's just not them). I hope you can find someone for Jere. The thought of him unhappy, when M & K and C & A are so happy makes me sad for him. Whether you do another spin-off or just a few mentions in CoTT, I think it would be great if Jere found his forever guy too.

It's nice to see Kendall going out and trying to restore some normal into his life. I agree that being joined at the hip can be fun for a little while, but in order to be a truly happy couple you should be able to be happy separately as well as together.

You're welcome, Lit, and thank you. You always give great review :) .Don't you just love guys who like to cuddle? Mr. and Mrs. Ace are always true to form. Genuine, loving and accepting. I can't see the guys wanting something ostentatious either. They are to down to earth. Michael's parents are wealthy and still eat in the kitchen, so that sats a lot. I would love to do something for Jere... I just don't know if I can do it justice without writing it separate and I don't know if I should take that on. I must admit though, that Chet and Arron's story was very rewarding for me personally. You're right about the normalcy. I thought it was necessary to have them face that and deal with it. I think it worked well for them. Thanks again, Lit for another awesome review. I love what you get from the story... cheers...
  • Like 2
Link to comment

I had a 'utttt-ohhhh' moment when Kendall left Michael sleep in without waking him to tell him he was going to work for a few hours. 'A note,' oh, hell no – notes get lost; notes get misconstrued… :*)

 

The brilliant way in which you have Kendall re-considering his private office as the place he shut himself away from his own problems was affecting. So often men build careers precisely because they cannot deal with the 'gay thing,' and it’s a pity. With our hero, you show him come out on the other side of things, and there is nothing but hope and sunshine. Love it. :worship:

 

It WAS so cute the see Kendall's little matchmaker cogs and gears turning about Jere. I smell a set up coming down the Pike for his co-worker… -_-

 

Aww, and then my fretting over the note proved feckless, for the sweetest reunions awaited us readers. Thank you!

 

And a meatloaf dinner as coda! What more could be perfect… :joe:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Michael was sitting at the kitchen counter, staring at the door, waiting for him. :wub:

That was my favorite moment of the whole chapter. Michael like a cute, devoted puppy eagerly awaiting the home coming of his beloved master. For some reason that melted my heart together with the admission he wanted to run after Kendall crying "Where's my morning kiss?"

In Danish we have a name for women who are incorrigible matchmakers: (Kirsten) Giftekniv mainly used by the Danish poet Ludvig Holberg. So I'm gonna call Deuce Kendall Giftekniv from now on. :lol:

And I guess the offer of money from Ace's parents continued the winning streak, as did the improved condition of Michael's knee.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/29/2015 04:07 AM, AC Benus said:
I had a 'utttt-ohhhh' moment when Kendall left Michael sleep in without waking him to tell him he was going to work for a few hours. 'A note,' oh, hell no – notes get lost; notes get misconstrued… :*)

 

The brilliant way in which you have Kendall re-considering his private office as the place he shut himself away from his own problems was affecting. So often men build careers precisely because they cannot deal with the 'gay thing,' and it’s a pity. With our hero, you show him come out on the other side of things, and there is nothing but hope and sunshine. Love it. :worship:

 

It WAS so cute the see Kendall's little matchmaker cogs and gears turning about Jere. I smell a set up coming down the Pike for his co-worker… -_-

 

Aww, and then my fretting over the note proved feckless, for the sweetest reunions awaited us readers. Thank you!

 

And a meatloaf dinner as coda! What more could be perfect… :joe:

Thanks, AC, for a wonderful review. This is their second day back home, and they have to get back to the real world. It's unavoidable. I loved showing how different Kendall is now at his work. A happy Kendall is more open and forthcoming. His pain and loneliness held him back from enjoying the people around him...and he was able to acknowledge his own walls coming down. He is even allowing Jeremy to take on more responsibility because he doesn't need his work as a shield anymore. I'm glad you liked their reunion. Those sweet moments are something I live for. For Jeremy, we'll see. I may need to help him out a little. My mom made the greatest meatloaf...sigh...Cheers and thanks...
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/29/2015 04:51 AM, Timothy M. said:
Michael was sitting at the kitchen counter, staring at the door, waiting for him. :wub:

That was my favorite moment of the whole chapter. Michael like a cute, devoted puppy eagerly awaiting the home coming of his beloved master. For some reason that melted my heart together with the admission he wanted to run after Kendall crying "Where's my morning kiss?"

In Danish we have a name for women who are incorrigible matchmakers: (Kirsten) Giftekniv mainly used by the Danish poet Ludvig Holberg. So I'm gonna call Deuce Kendall Giftekniv from now on. :lol:

And I guess the offer of money from Ace's parents continued the winning streak, as did the improved condition of Michael's knee.

Thanks, Tim. I think it was mine too,that whole scene, although I loved when Michael pulled the pillow in close and hugged it. And Kendall just can't help himself... he is a nurturer and wants everyone to be happy like he is. And once again, you are right on about the title... Another super review, Tim... Cheers...
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Jeremy is absolutely adorable--and if you don't do a stand alone story with him, well.....you just need to do it!
Moving chapter to see the guys supported again--not from maybe guilt but from love.
Nice job!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 07/02/2015 11:47 AM, Robert Rex said:

Jeremy is absolutely adorable--and if you don't do a stand alone story with him, well.....you just need to do it!

Moving chapter to see the guys supported again--not from maybe guilt but from love.

Nice job!

Thanks, Rex. It would seem a lot of readers want Jeremy's story. Maybe it'll have to happen. This was a kind of transitional chapter for the guys...glad you liked it, and thanks for reviewing... glad to have you back on board, Buddy...Cheers...

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Ball and chain :P - I have been called that too many times to count over eleven years of marriage.

 

What are the ranks in Kendall work place? If Kendall is a captain, then what is Jeremey's title? Just curious.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 07/27/2015 05:10 AM, Caz Pedroso said:

Ball and chain :P - I have been called that too many times to count over eleven years of marriage.

 

What are the ranks in Kendall work place? If Kendall is a captain, then what is Jeremey's title? Just curious.

Jeremy is a security officer... and Assistant to the Captain... in security, only the Captain has a rank... When Jeremy has the reins, he is called the Officer in Charge... We are all ball and chains at some point :) . Thanks for the review, Caz... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Welcome home. There's nothing quite like that - being home with your man.
Then yeah there's real life, work, family, oh and meatloaf. I love meatloaf. Men bond over the consumption of meat!
I really enjoyed this chapter .. it was simply nice to see them where they belong.
tim

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/20/2015 07:52 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Welcome home. There's nothing quite like that - being home with your man.

Then yeah there's real life, work, family, oh and meatloaf. I love meatloaf. Men bond over the consumption of meat!

I really enjoyed this chapter .. it was simply nice to see them where they belong.

tim

Thanks, tim. I appreciate the review. I love meatloaf too, and I make a mean one. Yeah, this was about getting back to real life. I love showing how connected they are, and how they miss each other,even after only a couple of hours. Glad you enjoyed it... the calm before the storm :) . Cheers, my friend... Gary...

  • Like 2
Link to comment

It's back to everyday life, showering alone, being apart, going to work and meeting later at home :*) They'll survive and find their way to cope with life and it's demands.
More matchmaking :P Jeremy seems nice, so hopefully he'll find someone or perhaps Kendall finds someone for him :huh:
Can't wait to go house hunting with Michael and Kendall :huh: I'm sure that'll be fun :boy:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/24/2015 11:01 PM, Suvitar said:

It's back to everyday life, showering alone, being apart, going to work and meeting later at home :*) They'll survive and find their way to cope with life and it's demands.

More matchmaking :P Jeremy seems nice, so hopefully he'll find someone or perhaps Kendall finds someone for him :huh:

Can't wait to go house hunting with Michael and Kendall :huh: I'm sure that'll be fun :boy:

Yeah, things are settling down for the boys... or are they? Jeremy is an awesome guy, and at some point, I'll take care of him. Yeah, the house hunting is quite the experience... thanks for this, Suvitar... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 2
Link to comment

How about sharing the meatloaf recipe?! Would love to learn how to do that.
Skimming over this chapter again to write the review, I see there was a lot in it. You make every word, line, paragraph count in your building their relationship.
Loved the interaction with K and his 2ic, Jeremy. Of course, I like the name! Lol! Will be interesting to see how he fits in with the guys and becomes a friend rather than just a workmate, especially since Chet is already set up with Arron. K is going to have to think again, though maybe his matchmaking days will come to an end. Lol!
So enjoying all the little details of their lives too. Makes it so much more realistic. Looking forward to them exploring the house market and finding something they like. I love looking at houses!

  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..