Jump to content
    Headstall
  • Author
  • 4,497 Words
  • 7,519 Views
  • 41 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cards on the Table - 41. Chapter 41 Not Everyone is Dealt a Good Hand

Celebration overshadowed.
Dedicated to the memory of Lit's 'Pud'...

Cards on the Table

 

 

Chapter 41

 

 

His stomach was rumbling, loud enough to bring him to the surface of full consciousness. Now that his intestinal alarm had gone off, without opening his eyes, he concentrated on the soft puffs of breath on his face. The cadence was indicative of deep slumber. Michael was filled with the urge to stretch himself fully awake, but he didn’t want to disturb Kendall’s sleep, so he stayed motionless. Was there a better feeling in the world than lying here beside his partner? He didn’t think so.

The darkened room gave no clues as to the time of day, and the clock was behind him, and would require a twist to be visible. His only clue, as he allowed his eyes to fully open, was the still flickering candles. Unfortunately, Michael had no idea how to gauge the passage of time from a candle. No doubt his lover would know; he smiled as he focused on the sleeping face in front of him. God, he was handsome... hell, beautiful. He knew he should be used to Kendall’s striking features by now, but he wasn’t, and he didn’t think he ever would be. As usual, looking at the man caused a spontaneous reaction as Michael’s resting cock grew to full hardness, the remembrance of making love… fucking… washing over him. He'd always known it would be good when the time came, but not in his wildest dreams could he have imagined the reality. Never before had he come close to experiencing the kind of soul-melding connection he’d felt when they were locked together. His partner had been magnificent. He’d told Michael he’d done everything exactly right, but so had Kendall. Michael may have been the one on top, but Kendall had been in control. He’d been so willing, and responsive, and totally in tune with him, like no woman ever had. Michael was quick to acknowledge that was likely his fault… he'd always held a part of himself back in the past. The part that belonged to Kendall, and Kendall alone. But he sure as hell hadn’t held back an hour or two ago… he’d given everything he possessed, and it had been returned in a way he couldn't possibly forget.

From the time he'd had unburied who he really was, he never thought twice about being gay. Yeah, maybe God had made men and women to go together, but making love to Kendall was further proof he’d made men to go together with men as well. The way they'd fit couldn’t, in any sense of the word, be wrong. There was a divine rightness in what they had done.

When Kendall had asked him to keep going, moments after they’d had life-changing orgasms, he had been surprised. He’d been worried it might have been an ordeal for Kendall that he would keep to his stoic self, but that request obliterated his concerns, and left him riding a wave of euphoria. There was no way Kendall wasn’t fully engaged in the continuation of their lovemaking, and his uninhibited participation set something free in Michael.

Looking at him now, he was in awe of the man. His capacity to love was tremendous, and Michael understood just how lucky he was it was him Kendall chose to share his life with. Another protesting growl came from his empty stomach, and this time it caused Kendall’s turquoise orbs to pop open. He looked startled at first, and then he laughed.

“Was that your stomach?” Kendall snorted, and laughed harder.

“Sorry,” Michael apologized. “I was trying to be quiet.” Now, he was chuckling.

“Good job on that. I thought there was a lion in the bed with me.” Kendall gave one of those sleepy smiles that made Michael’s breath catch.

He smiled back. “No lion… just a tiger.”

“Yeah, I remember.” Kendall locked eyes with his partner. “That was really something earlier. Thank you.”

“You’re thanking me?” Michael leaned in for a kiss, tugging on Kendall’s bottom lip at the end of it, reluctant to let go. “I got to say that was the best thing ever, and it was because of you, not me. Now at the risk of killing the mood, I need food, and lots of it. Um, are you okay?”

Kendall stopped his intended move to get up, and settled back. “I have never in my whole life been better than I am right now. I suspect I’m tender… I can still feel you there… but there's no pain. Now, let’s get up and shower, or do you want to eat first... tiger?”

“Shower… then food.” Michael chuckled, before leaping out of bed like a man on a mission. “Let’s go, sexy man… it’s almost five o’clock.” Kendall’s movement was a little slower than normal, but Michael didn’t say anything more… he just sauntered over to Kendall’s side of the bed and wrapped his arms around his big blonde god. “I love you, Deuce.”

“I love you more, Ace.”

“Not a chance, Babe.”

 

In the shower, Michael insisted on washing his lover from head to toe. As sensual as the cleansing was, and as many kisses as were softly planted on different body parts, neither one wanted to ramp things up to a sexual episode. This was a time to savor the lovemaking they’d shared. Tenderly soaping around Kendall’s opening, he was relieved to see that other than a little puffiness, everything looked normal. Another stomach growl sped up the shower amid more laughter. Every time he met Kendall’s eyes, Michael could feel a current run between them. Their union had somehow heightened the connection they shared, yet he felt no need to comment on it. It was different, and their actions showed it… the unspoken change lived in the constant touches they bestowed on each other. There was a lingering fascination which prolonged each contact, turning them into fingertip caresses, and intended brushes of skin against skin.

 

When Kendall entered the kitchen, Michael was already standing at the counter with an array of pamphlets from different take-out restaurants displayed in front of him. He looked up as the man joined him on the opposite side of the counter, pleased he was wearing the blue tee-shirt that matched his eyes. Kendall smiled at the approval Michael was beaming at him. Their hands automatically sought each other out, fingers entwining without conscious thought.

“Any idea what we should order, Babe, or do you want to go out somewhere?”

“Are you sure you don’t want me to cook something up? I don’t mind, and we have chicken breasts I can thaw in the microwave. We could have chicken and pasta, if you’re interested?”

“It does sound good, but I was wondering. What if we call Arron and Chet, and see what they’re doing? Maybe they haven’t eaten yet.”

“You’re dying to tell someone, aren’t you?” Kendall teased.

Michael looked at the confident man, and chuckled. He could never fool him. “Yeah, I am. What can I say? I’m happy and I’m proud we’re going to be married. Besides, I think I want to ask Arron to be my best man, and I’ve got a good idea who you want to ask."

Kendall laughed. “Well, since I’m marrying my best friend, I will have to ask someone else. In all seriousness, I do want to ask Chet. He’s become a great friend in a short period of time.”

“I think he’s the perfect choice. You know, with four gay guys, we should be able to figure out colors and flowers and all that other wedding shit,” Michael joked.

"You'd think, but you and I might be missing that part of the gay gene.”

“Maybe, but I think we got the most important parts, if this afternoon was any indication,” Michael teased. “Frankly, as long as we have that to look forward to, I don’t care if you can cook or decorate a room. I have my priorities straight,” Michael said while wiggling his eyebrows.

“Are you dissing my cooking again?”

“Oh, Babe… no, well, yeah, maybe just a little."

Kendall grinned. “Okay then. Ordering in it is, but one day I’ll make you eat those words.”

Michael walked around the counter and wrapped his big man up in his arms. “I’m looking forward to that,” he said, getting an amused snort from Kendall.

After an apologetic attempt by Michael that was more giggling than kissing, they decided calling the guys was a good plan. There was even a hockey game on in an hour-and-a-half.

Arron answered the phone, quickly complaining how he needed a break from the kitchen. He yelled for Chet to come unlock the leg chain, and Michael joked that in his case, Kendall should never be chained in a kitchen. He turned around to see Kendall rolling his eyes and shaking his head. It turned out both men were all for an evening of take-out and the hockey game. It was close to what they'd planned anyway, so with a promise to be there by seven, Arron hung up.

“They’re cabbing it, and bringing beer,” Michael said when the call ended.

“That’s good. It’ll be nice to see them again. It’ll be nice to show our rings off… to people we know, at least,” he joked, in reference to the previous night’s visit to the restaurant. “So what are we going to order in?”

“I wouldn’t mind pizza, and chicken wings. That would work for me.”

“Yeah, good old heart-attack food,” Kendall rubbed his stomach. “Works for me too."

Arron and Chet were in the door all of half-a-minute before Arron noticed the matching glints of gold on Michael and Kendall’s fingers. He grabbed Michael’s hand for a closer look, and that alerted Chet, who looked from one to the other with curiosity.

Arron spoke first. “These are unbelievable… they’re beautiful, guys… what do they mean?”

Michael laughed. “Let me have your coats first, and then we’ll tell you.” After he'd hung up their coats and herded them into the living room, Michael grabbed Kendall’s hand, and stood before their friends with a beaming smile. “This beautiful man beside me has agreed to marry me.” His words were met with matching stunned looks. “We’re engaged,” Michael proclaimed loudly as he raised their joined hands in a gesture of celebration. That broke the spell, and congratulations spewed forth from the now excited pair standing in front of them. They ended up in a group hug, and Michael felt the sincerity of the words and actions from both Chet and Arron as he locked eyes with a very proud-looking Kendall. It was a special moment for the four of them, temporarily halted by the front buzzer announcing the arrival of food. Michael rushed to the door and met the delivery guy at the building entrance. He needed food in the worst way, and they all chuckled at him when he returned with three large pizzas and sixty chicken wings, and laid them on the counter.

“Help yourself, gentlemen. I am not standing on ceremony tonight.” Michael turned around to face them with a slice already in hand. That brought a few more chuckles from the group, but Michael couldn’t have cared less. He laughed too while he stuffed his face with some Meat-Lovers pizza. Kendall joined Michael at the counter and whispered in his ear, “Sorry I made you skip lunch, tiger.”

That got him a wicked grin from his partner. “Hell, I’m not,” he whispered back, “but I need to build my strength back up in case it’s needed again.” He followed up with a wink.

Kendall leaned in again. “I think you’re safe for tonight,” he said, winking back at a now frowning Michael. Kendall’s laughter drew their friends’ attention now that they'd loaded up on some food of their own.

“What are you laughing about?” Arron asked.

“Private joke.”

“Yeah, very private, but I can tell you I’m apparently not getting any tonight,” Michael whined.

“Any chance you might have had, just disappeared, Sunshine.” Kendall grinned. Now everyone was laughing, including Michael.

He shook his head resignedly. “Give me a few minutes, and I’ll probably stick my other foot in my mouth.”

They all settled down with food and beer to chat and watch the Leaf game. Halfway through the first intermission, they’d all eaten enough, even Michael, who took the opportunity to refresh everyone’s beer, before he started a more serious conversation. When he rejoined everyone in the living room, he sat for a few minutes, a little uncertain as to how to begin. One look at Kendall, and it was easy all of a sudden.

“So, Arron, you want to be my best man?” he blurted out.

Arron’s attention went to Michael at the question, obviously taken by complete surprise. His eventual response was, “Seriously?”

“Yeah, of course seriously. So what do you say, Officer Bailey… you going to be my backup?”

Arron gave a little grin. “Well, to borrow my partner’s favorite phrase, hell yeah, I will.” His grin became a huge one, and Chet’s echoed it. “So when’s the big date?”

“Sometime in May... we haven’t decided on an exact date yet. It’ll be one of the first three Saturdays, but we can talk about that later. We have decided we’re going to have it at our new house though. It just feels right, doesn’t it, Babe?”

Kendall agreed. “It’s not going to be very big… just close friends and family.” He smirked at his partner, which confused Michael, until he noticed Chet had gotten quiet, and a little fidgety. A suspicion began to form in Michael's head. “Okay, second period is starting, guys.” Kendall grabbed the remote and turned the sound up on the TV. They all settled back to watch the game, and an awkward silence fell over the room. The Leafs pulled ahead by three goals, and the talk became more animated as it centered on hockey. There was no more talk about the wedding until the second intermission.

As the period-ending buzzer sounded, Arron turned to Michael. “Will I need to get a Tux?”

Kendall interjected. “Hold on, guys, before we get to that, I have something to say,” he said. Michael knew what was coming but he kept his face blank.

Kendall looked down for a second, before lifting his head to look at Chet. “So what about you, you big lug? Are you going to be my backup?”

“What?”

“You heard me.”

“Are you sure you want me? I thought you had someone else in mind since you didn’t ask me earlier.” Chet really did look uncertain.

“Yeah, about that. Remember when you and Arron pretended you didn’t like each other, and made me sweat it out?” They all watched the lightbulb go on for Chet as he realized what was happening. “Yeah, my friend, payback’s a bitch.” Kendall gave him an evil grin. “So, what’s your answer?”

Chet glanced over at Arron who was happily smiling away. “Well, even though you’re a bastard for doing this, I’ll take my favorite phrase back, and say, hell, yeah!”

Arron started laughing. “I gotta say that was a little awkward, green eyes. I’m glad they did it to you, and not me. I would have been so disappointed, you all would have known.”

Chet stood up and hugged it out with Kendall, laughing as he said, “You got me good. I have to admit I was disappointed when Arron was asked, and I wasn’t. I guess I deserved that, but how come Arron got off the hook?”

"Hey," Arron responded.

“Oh, trust me. Arron’s turn is coming.”

Arron looked aghast at his partner. “Thanks for throwing me to the wolves, green eyes. I won’t forget that," he said with a mock pout.

Chet snickered. “I don’t think you can throw a ‘wolf’ to the wolves, baby.” That got him a groan from his partner. “Sorry, Wolfie, but I couldn’t resist. This is awesome, guys; I’ve never been in a wedding party before.”

“So are we wearing tuxedos?” Arron asked for the second time.

That started a discussion on suits versus tuxes, the wedding date, colors, cummerbunds, flowers, decorations, wedding cake, seating for the wedding, and even the design of the invitations. It was Arron’s idea to have a picture of the rings on the front of a folded invitation. More and more, it became apparent Arron had become the wedding planner, with Chet as his assistant. Michael winked at Kendall a few times during the course of the discussion. They had picked the right gay guys to stand up with them, in more ways than one.

By the time the evening was brought to an end, Michael’s head was swimming with all the details about weddings he never would have thought of. There were happy hugs goodbye when the front buzzer alerted them to the cab’s arrival. Two very pleased men rushed to take their leave.

The wedding date had been tentatively settled as the first Saturday in May. As Chet had pointed out, babies can come early, so the sooner the wedding the better. There had been a whole discussion on whether Candy should be invited, with Kendall finally insisting the gesture had to be made, with the decision on whether to attend left up to her. Michael surprised himself by agreeing to Kendall’s reasoning. She was the mother of their son, after all.

As he closed the door on a great night, Michael wrapped his arms around his fiancé, letting loose the happiness he felt. “I can’t wait for our day to come. I never thought much about weddings before, but the thought of standing beside you in front of the people who care about us… and Candy,” he said with a grimace, “gives me happy goose bumps. I understand now why couples in love look forward to getting married. It’s a pledge, and it’s one I want to make to you in front of the world.” Michael sighed in contentment as they continued to embrace in the front entry.

“I was getting excited the more we talked about it,” Kendall admitted.

“Excited?” Michael raised an eyebrow.

“Not like that, horndog,” Kendall snickered. “You have such a one-track-mind.”

“Yes, I do,” he stated proudly. Michael kissed his partner softly. “And you are just as bad as I am… okay, well maybe not quite… but close.”

“Ace, if I acted on what I feel every time I look at you, we’d never get out of bed. Someone in this relationship has to have some control."

“Says the man who asked me to keep going this afternoon. That was so fucking hot,” he murmured into Kendall’s ear.

“You have to stop, big guy. I’m getting horned up here, and we just had a little marathon a few hours ago, and I don’t know about you, but even with our little nap, I’m still tired.” Kendall’s body chose that moment to let a yawn escape.

“All kidding aside, a lot has happened since yesterday. And we had the most incredible time this afternoon. I’m with you on the sleepy train.” He kissed the tip of Kendall’s nose. “I’ll clean up here, and you go get ready for bed, okay?”

“I’ll help clean up first, and then we'll get ready for bed together,” Kendall insisted. Hand in hand, they walked to the living room to clean up the small amount of mess. “Michael, do you think I was mean to make Chet sweat the best man thing out?”

“Are you kidding me? That was brilliant. I kind of suspected what you were doing, and I thought it was priceless. I know they thought so too.”

“Good, I saw the opportunity to pay him back, and I went for it," he said with detectable relief. “So… thank God Arron and Chet have some of the gay gene we seem to be missing."

Kendall’s comment got a laugh from Michael. “I was thinking the exact same thing earlier,” he agreed. “Did you like their ideas?”

Kendall picked up a couple of empty beer bottles and headed to the kitchen. “I think I liked pretty much all of them. I can picture the invitations, the way Arron described, and I think they would be perfect. The only thing I’m not sure of is the blue cummerbunds that Chet suggested. Turquoise, to match my eyes? No way, but maybe dark blue, like Arron suggested, would work. What do you think?”

“Honestly, I think black would be better, and the only color should be the roses in our lapels.” Michael was thoughtful as he put the pizza boxes in the recycling.

Kendall began chuckling, and soon ended up laughing full out.

“What’s so funny?” Michael stopped what he was doing, confused at Kendall's amusement.

“I was thinking the exact same thing about what we should wear. I could picture it perfectly, just like you obviously did.” His laughter had calmed down to a face-eating smile. “Do you know what that means?”

“Ah, that we like the same things?”

“Well, yeah, that, but maybe it means we’re not missing parts of the gay gene after all. We just need to let our inner gay out."

“Hey, I’m all for that,” Michael replied back. “Does that mean more sex?”

Kendall rolled his eyes as he switched off the overhead light and headed down the hall. “Come on, let’s go to bed… to sleep.”

 

Michael woke the next morning to semi-darkness. It took him a few minutes to realize the shades were still down and the curtains drawn… reminders of a wonderful afternoon with his lover. Stretching, he relived their consummation again in his mind. He found he could call up both the physical and emotional sensations with ease. It had been, in a word, perfect. He blinked his eyes a few times in the murkiness of the bedroom before focusing them on the digital numbers of the clock. 7:20am. Eight hours of satisfying sleep. His stretch had pulled him out of close contact with Kendall, and with now closed eyes, he felt Kendall’s arm reclaim him. He sighed at the feel of that arm sliding across his chest in a possessive motion. He twisted so he was on his side, and Kendall moved in response, melding the front of his body to the back of Michael’s, his arm tightening its hold on his chest.

“Good morning. We left the blinds down.” Kendall rasped sleepily into Michael’s ear, sending shivers along his spine.

“Let me go, Babe, and I’ll fix that.” Michael offered.

“Aww, what’s your hurry. This feels so good. I like this position,” he said while nuzzling the back of Michael’s neck.

“I do too, but I’m hungry, and I have an idea. Want to hear it, or are you still sleeping?”

“I’m not sure what the right answer is here. Some of your ideas….”

“Hey, I have great ideas,” he protested mildly. I give you a hint… it involves Mom’s cooking.”

“I’m all ears then.”

Michael knew that would work. “Okay, I’ll be right back,” he said as he slipped from Kendall’s grasp. In the literal blink of an eye, the room was flooded with bright morning light as Michael opened the curtains and raised the blinds. After the initial blinding from the sudden snow-reflected sunlight had receded, Michael made his way back to the bed and slid under the warm covers, taking notice of the hungry look Kendall had fastened to his nether regions. Michael smiled as he was once again face to face with his lover. “Did you see something you liked?”

Kendall sighed. “To coin a popular phrase, hell yeah,” he said, chuckling. “That body is welcome in my bed anytime, big guy. Now what was your idea?”

“Way to change the subject, but okay… I was thinking we could invite ourselves to breakfast at Mom and Dad’s. Are you game?”

Kendall looked at Michael speculatively. “So, what you’re saying is, you want us to tell Mom and Pop about our engagement. Correct?”

“Well, yeah, but there'll be food too,” he said with a grin, his stomach excited at the prospect.

Kendall laughed. “You are so transparent.”

“Hey, that’s my line,” he complained before planting a kiss on his fiancé.

 

“Mom says she has a surprise for us, Babe.” They were on their way to Uxbridge in Black Beauty. It was a beautiful Sunday, and the roads were clear.

“Well, I doubt it will be as big as our surprise… but I wonder what it will be.”

“Maybe they got a new car as a present to themselves, or something else to do with Christmas. Hey, maybe they’re going to take a trip?”

“Yeah. I could see them doing something like that. I guess we’ll find out soon enough. We’re almost there.” Kendall smiled in anticipation of another wonderful day with family.

Colleen met them at the door as usual, with hugs and kisses, but Michael noticed something different right away. His mother looked downright haggard, and her smile lacked its usual brightness. “Where’s Dad, Mom? Are you okay?” Michael felt instant relief when his father stepped into the hallway, although he looked about as tired as his wife did.

“Michael, we’re just fine. We’re just a little tired from lack of sleep. Now, you boys come into the kitchen and I’ll put the breakfast out for you. Your surprise is in here,” she said as she headed down the hall.

Michael stopped dead when he reached the doorway. Standing in the middle of the room was a smaller, younger version of himself. The same eyes and hair, the unmistakable dimples and jawline that echoed Michael’s. The frame, though smaller, was similar as well. But there was a big difference. The face in front of him was marred by an ugly looking, mostly-black bruise surrounding a swollen eye. “Nate?”

The boy/man in front of him almost instantly dropped the precarious façade he had plastered on his face, and became a timid appearing kid. “Hi, Uncle Mike.”

He glanced at a stunned Kendall before slowly walking towards his nephew with his arms out. Nate folded into them with a sob, and Michael could feel his body shaking against him.

“What’s going on... Nate?”

Nathanial Michael’s eyes rose slowly to meet those of the man whose name he carried. “My dad hates me, Uncle Mike… I’m… I’m like you. I’m gay, and he hates me.” He buried his face again while Michael turned shocked eyes to his mom and dad, before settling on his partner. He looked beseechingly at Kendall, who didn’t hesitate to move to his side, as he held onto the distraught boy. At that moment, Michael felt shame and guilt because he hadn’t kept up on what had been going on in his only nephew’s life. Living far apart was no excuse. The sobs coming from Nate were breaking his heart. This wasn’t how it was supposed to be for a gay kid in his family. He had a ton of questions, but all that mattered now was comforting the boy in his arms. “Everything is going to be okay, nephew, I promise.” Kendall’s hand on Michael’s shoulder was reassuring as he did his best to comfort this crying boy who was holding onto him for dear life.

   

Thanks to Lightning Tim, my lovely and talented editor, and all the faithful readers of COTT.
Join us in the COTT forum:
www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/39932-cards-on-the-table-by-headstall/

Dedicated to the memory of Lit's 'Pud'....
Copyright © 2017 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 57
  • Love 12
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Well, it looks like Michael and Kendall may become 'parents' (or at least 'in loco parentis') before they expected. :no: So sad - and now I wonder if Nate came out to his parents because his uncle M was 'suddenly' gay. Is he the son of Michael's sister, and how does she feel? Somehow I cannot see a child of Michael's parents being intolerant, but you never know what marrying a bastard can do.
I'm glad we had the happy scene with Chet and Arron before this. At least Ace and Deuce had a bit of celebration first - and I bet Chet and Arron will be helpful as great role models and protectors for Nate. Poor guy, but for now he's safe and surrounded by loving, caring people. I bet we'll see Kendall's caring side as well as Michael's protective one appear next.
While Nate has been dealt a shitty hand, I trust these four people will help him win in the end, and be a stronger and better man than his father. Just like Kendall was.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Oh God! When I saw the chapter's title, I was immediately on edge :unsure: I was afraid something bad was going to happen. Well, you really surprised me with the end. :) I just want to :hug: Nate and say, "everything will be okay." It's a shame that his father reacted like that. I am crossing my fingers to see how all of this will play out. The big question for me is: what does his mother think? Which has now led me to think about what else Michael has said about her, and I can't think of anything else other than, "She lives in Alberta." I'll stop there, or else I'll tangent off :*)

 

Gary, you are truly a gifted writer, you can make a reader sit on the edge of there seat, make them smile and laugh, have their heart melt, make them tear up, and above all surprise them. And Gary, you sure had me do all those things :)

 

Thanks for another great chapter.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 09/24/2015 04:17 AM, Timothy M. said:

Well, it looks like Michael and Kendall may become 'parents' (or at least 'in loco parentis') before they expected. :no: So sad - and now I wonder if Nate came out to his parents because his uncle M was 'suddenly' gay. Is he the son of Michael's sister, and how does she feel? Somehow I cannot see a child of Michael's parents being intolerant, but you never know what marrying a bastard can do.

I'm glad we had the happy scene with Chet and Arron before this. At least Ace and Deuce had a bit of celebration first - and I bet Chet and Arron will be helpful as great role models and protectors for Nate. Poor guy, but for now he's safe and surrounded by loving, caring people. I bet we'll see Kendall's caring side as well as Michael's protective one appear next.

While Nate has been dealt a shitty hand, I trust these four people will help him win in the end, and be a stronger and better man than his father. Just like Kendall was.

Thanks for the great review, Tim. All really good questions here... the only one I can answer is that yes, Nate is the son of Michael's sister. The story will unfold in the next chapter, which you will read first lol. I wish I could say more now... families are complicated, and being gay can mean traveling a bumpy road. As much as the family has reason to celebrate, it's Nate that is the #1 priority now. You know I wanted to wrap COTT up, but I didn't want to regret not following through on my original story plans. Right this moment, Nate is safe... as you said, he is surrounded by great role models and protectors. Thanks for all your support, Tim... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/24/2015 04:25 AM, Drew Espinosa said:

Oh God! When I saw the chapter's title, I was immediately on edge :unsure: I was afraid something bad was going to happen. Well, you really surprised me with the end. :) I just want to :hug: Nate and say, "everything will be okay." It's a shame that his father reacted like that. I am crossing my fingers to see how all of this will play out. The big question for me is: what does his mother think? Which has now led me to think about what else Michael has said about her, and I can't think of anything else other than, "She lives in Alberta." I'll stop there, or else I'll tangent off :*)

 

Gary, you are truly a gifted writer, you can make a reader sit on the edge of there seat, make them smile and laugh, have their heart melt, make them tear up, and above all surprise them. And Gary, you sure had me do all those things :)

 

Thanks for another great chapter.

Thanks, Drew! You're right, that is all you know about Michael's sister... and that she has three children. I deliberately kept them way in the background. I know that Michael's family comes across as perfect, and in many ways they are, but there are no guarantees when you're gay. Obviously there is a problem with Nate's father, and his acceptance of a gay son. Coming out is in many ways, facing the unknown, but don't worry... I'll look after him. Your words are very kind, Drew, and they mean a lot... Great review, little buddy... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 2
Link to comment

The payback on Chet was great haha. I wonder what Kendall is going to do to get Arron back. It's great that they have two great friends that will stand up with them. I think Arron and Chet are going to have a great time planning the wedding.

 

I wonder what happened with Nate's father - or his mother for that matter. No wonder Colleen and big Mike looked so upset. Hopefully they will be able to get Nate through this with Michael and Kendall's help.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

What! Poor Nate. How heartbreaking to have to say I'm gay and my dad hates me! After I got over that surprise, my first thought was, Why wasn't Michael's sister there with the other kids. I mean this is Michael's family right? Colleen is their mom! The sister could not possibly allow her son to be kicked out of his home? Oh now I can't wait to know what was going on there. And wait, does he get to stay with Colleen or do Michael and Kendall take him?
The rest of the chapter was great. I love the afterglow. Catching up with Chet and Arron, fun as always and the payback continues. It's good to see the guys relax and settle in after all that business with Candy. Now they get to work their magic with Nate.
Great chapter Gary, but I hope you're already writing the next....

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Perhaps there is a reason we don't know much about Michael's sister and her family. Are they estranged because of Nate's dad? It's obvious that not only has he thrown the boy out but he laid violent hand on Nate. Michael is not going to allow that to go unpunished. An intriguing twist.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I have to confess that when I saw that chapter 41 was posted that is all that I saw. I bypassed the title (didn't even glance at it) and dove right into the story. I was very eager to start reading more of Michael and Kendall's story... :)
I loved the afterglow (both in their actions and their words) of their love making, it was the sweet icing on the cake. Sharing their happiness with Chet and Arron made sense. Not only because of their friendship but, I think anyway, that as two gay men who also recently found love, C and A could truly appreciate what M and K have together.
Gary, by not reading the chapter title, I missed the foretelling of the curveball you threw out there as a monkey wrench in the boys' happiness. At first I was alarmed by the description of Colleen and Big Mike's physical appearance. I was glad that they are okay, but saddened by the appearance of Nate who had obviously been through something terrible. Hard to believe knowing what Colleen, Big Mike and Mike are like that the sister could be married (as for her attitude?,TBD) to a homophobic jerk.
Well, all I can say to that is, thank goodness he had somewhere to go where he was guaranteed to find love and acceptance. I look forward to hearing more of his story.
As always, a wonderful chapter Gary. Thank you.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Bloody authors :rolleyes: I didn't see that one coming :P
I loved the post-sex scene. This is exactly the sort of scene where I imagine Michael thinking his poem. Shame his trumpeting tummy woke up his sleeping beauty :*)
Poor Chet, at least he knows his payback is over. Aaron still has some worrying to do.
Are we right in guessing Nate came out after he heard about his Uncle Mike? Coming out is a tough thing to do at the best of times. I had supportive parents and I still was nervous. The massive black eye will cause all sorts of issues for Michael assuming that Big Mike hasn't already done something. I wonder what his hands look like.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Sure, cue up the chapter, go eat, take a nap, and come back to be totally blind-sided! :)
Holy cow, Batman, this is going to be ugly unless Kendall can get Michael unde control--there's no way abusing his nephew will be allowed to pass. Either the man goes to jail, or Nate finds a new home with Colleen and Big Mike or Kendall and himself.
I was going to talk about the wedding, but that just got eclipsed by your surprise. :)
More please, and make it fast!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 09/24/2015 06:21 AM, EagleIsaac said:

The payback on Chet was great haha. I wonder what Kendall is going to do to get Arron back. It's great that they have two great friends that will stand up with them. I think Arron and Chet are going to have a great time planning the wedding.

 

I wonder what happened with Nate's father - or his mother for that matter. No wonder Colleen and big Mike looked so upset. Hopefully they will be able to get Nate through this with Michael and Kendall's help.

Thanks for the review, Eagle. I love writing about the friendship. There is true support there. Glad you liked the payback. Kendall saw an opportunity and took it. As far as Nate, it will all unfold in the next chapter... Nate is struggling right now, but he's in the right place. I appreciate the support, as always... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/24/2015 06:21 AM, EagleIsaac said:

The payback on Chet was great haha. I wonder what Kendall is going to do to get Arron back. It's great that they have two great friends that will stand up with them. I think Arron and Chet are going to have a great time planning the wedding.

 

I wonder what happened with Nate's father - or his mother for that matter. No wonder Colleen and big Mike looked so upset. Hopefully they will be able to get Nate through this with Michael and Kendall's help.

Thanks for the review, Eagle. I love writing about the friendship. There is true support there. Glad you liked the payback. Kendall saw an opportunity and took it. As far as Nate, it will all unfold in the next chapter... Nate is struggling right now, but he's in the right place. I appreciate the support, as always... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/24/2015 06:27 AM, Defiance19 said:

What! Poor Nate. How heartbreaking to have to say I'm gay and my dad hates me! After I got over that surprise, my first thought was, Why wasn't Michael's sister there with the other kids. I mean this is Michael's family right? Colleen is their mom! The sister could not possibly allow her son to be kicked out of his home? Oh now I can't wait to know what was going on there. And wait, does he get to stay with Colleen or do Michael and Kendall take him?

The rest of the chapter was great. I love the afterglow. Catching up with Chet and Arron, fun as always and the payback continues. It's good to see the guys relax and settle in after all that business with Candy. Now they get to work their magic with Nate.

Great chapter Gary, but I hope you're already writing the next....

'Afterglow' is exactly what it was, Def. I'm glad you liked it. I thought it was time to have Michael's POV, and I loved writing down his thoughts and feelings. All great questions with regards to Nate... stat tuned lol. I actually am writing the next chapter... 2100 words so far, so you may get an early one. Another great review, Def... thanks and cheers... Gary...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/24/2015 07:35 AM, dughlas said:

Perhaps there is a reason we don't know much about Michael's sister and her family. Are they estranged because of Nate's dad? It's obvious that not only has he thrown the boy out but he laid violent hand on Nate. Michael is not going to allow that to go unpunished. An intriguing twist.

Thanks for the review, Dugh.All I can say is hand in there, my friend. The next chapter will explain a lot. It's not always a perfect world... cheers and thanks... Gary...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/24/2015 09:25 AM, Reader1810 said:

I have to confess that when I saw that chapter 41 was posted that is all that I saw. I bypassed the title (didn't even glance at it) and dove right into the story. I was very eager to start reading more of Michael and Kendall's story... :)

I loved the afterglow (both in their actions and their words) of their love making, it was the sweet icing on the cake. Sharing their happiness with Chet and Arron made sense. Not only because of their friendship but, I think anyway, that as two gay men who also recently found love, C and A could truly appreciate what M and K have together.

Gary, by not reading the chapter title, I missed the foretelling of the curveball you threw out there as a monkey wrench in the boys' happiness. At first I was alarmed by the description of Colleen and Big Mike's physical appearance. I was glad that they are okay, but saddened by the appearance of Nate who had obviously been through something terrible. Hard to believe knowing what Colleen, Big Mike and Mike are like that the sister could be married (as for her attitude?,TBD) to a homophobic jerk.

Well, all I can say to that is, thank goodness he had somewhere to go where he was guaranteed to find love and acceptance. I look forward to hearing more of his story.

As always, a wonderful chapter Gary. Thank you.

Thanks, Reader, for a superb review. I love that word...'Afterglow'. I think we needed to hear Michael's thoughts on what he has with Kendall means to him, and I loved writing that part. I love men who aren't afraid of their feelings. Michael revels in them. And yeah, Nate is where he should be right now... he's had a tough introduction to being a gay kid... Wonderful, supportive review, my friend... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/24/2015 04:40 PM, Bucket1 said:

Bloody authors :rolleyes: I didn't see that one coming :P

I loved the post-sex scene. This is exactly the sort of scene where I imagine Michael thinking his poem. Shame his trumpeting tummy woke up his sleeping beauty :*)

Poor Chet, at least he knows his payback is over. Aaron still has some worrying to do.

Are we right in guessing Nate came out after he heard about his Uncle Mike? Coming out is a tough thing to do at the best of times. I had supportive parents and I still was nervous. The massive black eye will cause all sorts of issues for Michael assuming that Big Mike hasn't already done something. I wonder what his hands look like.

Yes I am, a bloody author that is :) . I'm so glad everyone seemed to like the post-sex scene. Hearing how Michael felt, made the whole joining so much better. Got to love a man in touch with his feelings. Nate will be addressed in the next chapter. Sorry for the curve ball... not... thanks for the great review, Buddy...cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 09/24/2015 05:08 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Sure, cue up the chapter, go eat, take a nap, and come back to be totally blind-sided! :)

Holy cow, Batman, this is going to be ugly unless Kendall can get Michael unde control--there's no way abusing his nephew will be allowed to pass. Either the man goes to jail, or Nate finds a new home with Colleen and Big Mike or Kendall and himself.

I was going to talk about the wedding, but that just got eclipsed by your surprise. :)

More please, and make it fast!

All questions will be answered lol. I'm already working on it. Thanks for the review and constant support, my friend... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Hi Headstall. I think you should warn Nate's father that no one messes with an Aceto and walks away without a penalty (ask Lanny, for example). I don't know what to say that hasn't been said already. Your story is getting better and better every chapter. Keep up! By the way, I hope I get an invitation to the wedding, I promise I'll be there. Take care.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/27/2015 04:18 AM, bignick said:

Hi Headstall. I think you should warn Nate's father that no one messes with an Aceto and walks away without a penalty (ask Lanny, for example). I don't know what to say that hasn't been said already. Your story is getting better and better every chapter. Keep up! By the way, I hope I get an invitation to the wedding, I promise I'll be there. Take care.

Thank you, bignick! Great to hear from you.In case you didn't know, I love getting reviews lol. I appreciate the kind words. I work very hard to improve my writing with each chapter. You can count on the invitation... it'll be a wonderful occasion for us and the guys. :) . Thanks for the great review and I hope to hear from you again soon... the next chapter is posting in a few minutes... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I did feel that something bad is going to happen when I read the title but didn't expect to meet a new character :o .....I get a feeling that Nate is going to be the prime focus for the neat chapters :unsure: .....I expect to know more about what went on with him ......since you have told that a new chapter is soon to come, I am unable to type a coherent review right now .....I'll try to do a better one for the next chapter :yes: ...so, thank you for telling me that I missed the chapter :hug:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I'm sorry...I completely missed reviewing this chapter. :/ I loved the dedication Gary. Thank you :hug: :'(
I loved the time spent between Kendall and Michael as they bask in the afterglow. Their connection is beautiful and affirming.
I really enjoyed Kendall's prank on Chet. Poor Chet, thinking that he wasn't going to get to stand up with his friend at the wedding. I'm impressed that Michael managed to keep a straight face for that long! :lol: I giggled when Arron started getting into the wedding planning. At least someone out of the group got a design gene! haha. I'm also impressed that Michael agreed to invite Candy. I have a funny feeling she might actually show up. What she does while she's there though is anyone's guess...but early labour and her water breaking after the vows comes to mind :huh:
I wanted to smack Nate's dad. How dare someone do that to their child. I can't see a child of Big Mike and Colleen's being homophobic, but where was she when all of this was happening? I hope she didn't just stand by and let her husband do this to her son.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 09/27/2015 12:55 PM, LitLover said:

I'm sorry...I completely missed reviewing this chapter. :/ I loved the dedication Gary. Thank you :hug: :'(

I loved the time spent between Kendall and Michael as they bask in the afterglow. Their connection is beautiful and affirming.

I really enjoyed Kendall's prank on Chet. Poor Chet, thinking that he wasn't going to get to stand up with his friend at the wedding. I'm impressed that Michael managed to keep a straight face for that long! :lol: I giggled when Arron started getting into the wedding planning. At least someone out of the group got a design gene! haha. I'm also impressed that Michael agreed to invite Candy. I have a funny feeling she might actually show up. What she does while she's there though is anyone's guess...but early labour and her water breaking after the vows comes to mind :huh:

I wanted to smack Nate's dad. How dare someone do that to their child. I can't see a child of Big Mike and Colleen's being homophobic, but where was she when all of this was happening? I hope she didn't just stand by and let her husband do this to her son.

Thank you, Lit! I am so sorry about 'Pud'. I thought we should hear what Michael was thinking about the experience so I told the whole chapter from his POV. Sometimes the afterglow is as good as the deed itself. I wanted to convey how powerful it could be when you truly love the person... how much closer it brings you together. I really don't think there's a difference in that regard as to whether you are straight or gay. And poor Chet... I was so looking forward to that little scene. And Arron's enthusiasm for the wedding was another thing I loved showing. Good point about Michael agreeing to invite Candy. I think he has crossed a hurdle in getting over his anger. Kendall gives him the balance to be able to do it. With Nate, the fact is, a lot of gay kids are faced with an adverse reaction... his dad reacted badly, and we;ll have to see where it goes from here. Better late than never, Lit... another fantastic review, my friend... thanks and cheers... Gary...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/27/2015 05:17 AM, Victor Gutte said:

I did feel that something bad is going to happen when I read the title but didn't expect to meet a new character :o .....I get a feeling that Nate is going to be the prime focus for the neat chapters :unsure: .....I expect to know more about what went on with him ......since you have told that a new chapter is soon to come, I am unable to type a coherent review right now .....I'll try to do a better one for the next chapter :yes: ...so, thank you for telling me that I missed the chapter :hug:

Thanks, Victor. I appreciate the review. Nate is a central figure right now, and you'll hear more of his story in the next chapter. There is nothing wrong with this review... it's enough that you cared to review, cheers, my young friend... Gary...

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I really, really, really don't understand how a parent can hurt their child just because they aren't what they want and expect them to be :o You're supposed to love your child no matter what :/ Poor Nate! But luckily he has grandparents and an uncle who'll look after him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/28/2015 05:30 AM, Suvitar said:

I really, really, really don't understand how a parent can hurt their child just because they aren't what they want and expect them to be :o You're supposed to love your child no matter what :/ Poor Nate! But luckily he has grandparents and an uncle who'll look after him.

Even in the Aceto family, something like this can happen. Nate's in a safe place right now, but he's very wounded. Some parents just don't consider what they're doing... kids are possessions... they are human beings, all different, with rights to be who they are. Thanks for the review, Suvitar... Nate's story has just begun... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..